Gauntlet Reboot from Arrowhead Game Studios

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced Gauntlet, a completely modernized action RPG version of the celebrated dungeon crawler, will be available this summer via Steam for PC, offering full support for SteamOS and the upcoming Steam Machines shipping the second half of this year. The game will lead the launch of WB Games Vault, a direct-to-digital portfolio that will deliver paid games based on popular Warner Bros. and Midway brands, plus original IP, across multiple digital networks.

"With Gauntlet we combined the arcade style of the original game with an entirely new look and feature set that includes emergent, local and online four-player gameplay," said David Haddad, Senior Vice President, Digital Games, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "Gauntlet will be the first title in the WB Games Vault portfolio, which will provide us with an opportunity to access emerging talent within the game development community and match unique skills and experience with our extensive library of properties."

Gauntlet, developed by Arrowhead Game Studios, innovates on past titles while staying true to the brand's legendary format. Players select from four classic fantasy-based characters: Warrior, Wizard, Valkyrie, or Elf. Each character has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. For example, the Warrior does the most damage in melee combat, the Wizard has the most powerful magic, the Valkyrie has the most armor and the Elf moves the fastest. Distinctive play styles, procedural dungeons and an impressive art style keep the gameplay fresh.

"To us at Arrowhead, Gauntlet is one of the most defining games from our childhoods, and it's amazing to be able to work with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on a brand new version," said Johan Pilestedt, CEO of Arrowhead Game Studios. "Gauntlet is one of the original and best known video game properties and we are looking forward to creating a fresh, yet true to the original, take on a multiplayer masterpiece."

Upon selecting a playable character, the gameplay is set within dungeons where the object is to fight through the chambers slaying evil creatures and completing challenges. An assortment of special items can be located in each dungeon that can restore the player's health, unlock doors, and shift the odds in the player's favor with magical relics which can aid the player in surviving longer in the Gauntlet. The enemies are a vast assortment of fantasy-based monsters, including ghosts, grunts, demons, spiders, sorcerers and skeleton warriors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wcEckqk9Js

Pure nostalgia. Good times had. That trailer actually had that "something".

The current generation of gamerkids missed out on a time of arcade coin-op with the original Gauntlet, and without that benefit I wonder if the trailer would could across as just another isometric button masher Diablo wannabe.

Last edited:
Gauntlet and Centipede. No quarter left standing!

It looks fun, indeed.

I actually liked the Gauntlet remakes they did a while back -- was it the N64 era? They were pretty fun.

Looks great! I hope they add enough deep content to be worth it - secret levels, bosses, alternate endings etc... as well as upgradable characters/classes/titles with visually different equipment. I remember how Gauntlet Legends and/or Dark Legacy did so, where a level 1 Warrior looked totally different from a maxed out one in terms of arms and armor. Likewise, a Red Wizard looked different from a Blue Wizard in overall aesthetic. I think they even added additional classes later if memory serves - there were way more than 4! Then there were the different monster spawners, secret keys and more. There were a variety of attacks and multi-player combos, as well as spells and lots more in depth gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time playing the original arcade Gauntlet and the NES version, but I think we can do much better by looking at the most recent iterations from the Gamecube days and beyond.

Things look great so far, but I think they can do much more than simply remaking the exact original with online multiplayer.

Alright that's one down, now where's my Sunset Riders reboot? :p

I guess beggars can't be choosers! And as a fan of the Magicka game, and pushing friends to their deaths, this excites me! hue hue hue.

Fantastic!

Gauntlet was the game that got me into fantasy gaming. I played it quite a bit on the NES.

It looks fun, indeed.

I actually liked the Gauntlet remakes they did a while back -- was it the N64 era? They were pretty fun.

I think you're thinking of Gauntlet Legends? Those were tremendously fun games.

Looks great! I hope they add enough deep content to be worth it - secret levels, bosses, alternate endings etc... as well as upgradable characters/classes/titles with visually different equipment. I remember how Gauntlet Legends and/or Dark Legacy did so, where a level 1 Warrior looked totally different from a maxed out one in terms of arms and armor. Likewise, a Red Wizard looked different from a Blue Wizard in overall aesthetic. I think they even added additional classes later if memory serves - there were way more than 4! Then there were the different monster spawners, secret keys and more. There were a variety of attacks and multi-player combos, as well as spells and lots more in depth gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time playing the original arcade Gauntlet and the NES version, but I think we can do much better by looking at the most recent iterations from the Gamecube days and beyond.

Things look great so far, but I think they can do much more than simply remaking the exact original with online multiplayer.

Umm, what? I mean c'mon man, they start adding too much and it's no longer Gauntlet.

The game that gave me my name... (Well, this, and Tribes).

This actually looks awesome. Hope its cheap though, looks kind of... Repetitive...

There was a time when I had a friend sleepover and we stayed up all night playing Gauntlet.

Once we got to level 50, we thought it was going to end. Nope.

So we figured we grind it to 100.

still no end.

Alas, we were so tired, we just quit.

I have Gaunlet Legends on Dreamcast still a great game to play this looks interesting I hope they dont price it as a 60.00 game though.

The only thing that I liked about the original Gauntlet, was the music and digitized speech. The game was boring and hard and... a coin guzzler.

Played this one at QuakeCon at the Alienware booth, it was fun.

Brought back memories of playing Gauntlet on the 2600 as a kid.

I would of done the game differently too much Modern Glitz and they don't emphasize the good parts of the game like oodles of ghosts in a locked room ready to swamp you. Might still be good though I have my doubts the Arcade version was hard as hell Quarter sucker.

It was hard to hit the diagonals. It was easier to run and use the 4 points of the compass than try and hit 8 with precision. People got raped on diagonals. It was tiring spamming the fire button.

I think that the restrictor gate was circular or octagonal but I can't remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_controller

I'm sure you can play Gauntlet 1 on MAME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TP46lZmfHE

Anyway, that video proved my point ^^^

People had quarters stacked to the ceiling back in the day.

I would of done the game differently too much Modern Glitz and they don't emphasize the good parts of the game like oodles of ghosts in a locked room ready to swamp you. Might still be good though I have my doubts the Arcade version was hard as hell Quarter sucker.

Oh the locked rooms are still there. Actually , they short you on keys so you have to make choices on which ones to open.

Yeah Insert coins for more Health! you find kids hard pressed to pay .25 .50 cents for a steam game today.

This is really interesting and weird, since I never saw anyone try to solo the game. I never noticed a difference between the classes, I just picked Elf for the aesthetics:

"There were some skilled players who could play a hypothetically unlimited amount of time on one credit, especially with the Warrior and Wizard, and thus causing the arcades to lose money. A ROM update was released, reducing the "extra shot power" and "extra shot speed" powerup bonus for Warrior and Wizard, and adding a new points-based difficulty counter to the game. The difficulty counter made the game more difficult, in 16,384-point steps, which removed more designated food from the levels, and made the monsters respawn faster. However, this means that on the default game difficulty of 4, it was almost impossible to pass levels 1–7 without dying, and level 4 was designed so that some of the food drops would block the monsters from swarming the player. This was because the game removed some of the "default" food for playing solo; on difficulty level 0, at least one food placement was removed from every single level (at low scores), and on difficulty 4, two or three food drops were removed. This made the game too difficult, even for the best players, unless they could find a machine set to difficulty 0. Instead, the game gave bonus food for three or four players playing together. (Three players gave all of the default food, while four gave extra food in random locations.)[citation needed]

This was later refined for Gauntlet 2, so that Valkyrie and Elf would not receive extra food removal penalties, and only Warrior and Wizard would receive the extra penalties. Valkyrie and Elf would receive all of the default food that the current difficulty setting plus points difficulty scaling would allow, although Valkyrie would receive the fewest food penalties at higher (non-point based) difficulty levels. Elf would get some food removed at difficulty levels 6 and 7. The game still gave extra food for three or four players playing together."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_(1985_video_game)

Yeah Insert coins for more Health! you find kids hard pressed to pay .25 .50 cents for a steam game today.

Maybe not a Steam game but people play the hell out of those Candy Crush type games. Its the same concept.

Even though I never liked Gauntlet, there was a fantastic spin-off game called "Gothik" for the Amstrad. In retrospect, it was an action-rpg hybrid. You could scale the power of your shots, find items that would turn you invisible and turn creatures to stone ( like Medusa ). Potions would have random effects, one of them was really annoying, it would reverse your controls so that left would become right and up would become down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KS7M33Vkh8

The game is so old and esoteric that it's hard to find information on the game:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gothik

Anyone buy a 4 pack on this one and have a spare? Or anyone interested in a group buy? Releases on Tuesday

[L]imey;1041110206 said:
Anyone buy a 4 pack on this one and have a spare? Or anyone interested in a group buy? Releases on Tuesday

I might be down for that if we can find 2 more people

GMG has a 25% coupon that will bring the 4-pack down to $11.25 per person

I might be down for that if we can find 2 more people

GMG has a 25% coupon that will bring the 4-pack down to $11.25 per person

Actually I didn't get any replies this morning, so I went and bought a copy from the steamtrade forums.

Sorry guys!

Played last night with a friend. It was really fun. It brought back some memories. I'm stoked to play with more.

Back