Gauging interest in build-your-own case kits

A key design feature of the case frame is between the front panel and the inner frame (shown below) there is a bottom fed air duct.

The frame will eventually be filled-in with some AL sheeting.

Inner%20frame%20bolts.jpg

Inner%20frame%20tilt.jpg

Inner%20frame.jpg

In order to bolt together the door frames (via M6 button head bolts threaded into the ends of the horizontal parts) , I had to drill an access hole for the hex wrench.

Proto%20frame%20door%20frame%20w%20hole.png

The holes are closed with nice shiney plugs.

Proto%20frame%20door%20frame%20w%20hole%20plugged.png

The doors are attached to the frame with beefy anodized aluminum hinges. Low-head cap screws would make them less beefy (skinnier-er ;)).

Proto%20frame%20bottom%20hinge.png

Proto%20frame%20top%20hinge.png

Can you give any kind of ballpark cost as to what a standard ATX case would cost? And does that include panels, or is that open frame?

Can you give any kind of ballpark cost as to what a standard ATX case would cost? And does that include panels, or is that open frame?

Figure $.0078/mm for the extrusion, plus $45 for the set of back and PSU plates. There's a bit of redundant beams in this model, but as-is, it would cost ~$60. That price includes machining and fasteners.

Base%20ATX%20w%20PSU%202.jpg

This was going to be the first frame.

Standard or reverse ATX motherboard orientation. Thirty-five millimeters of space behind the motherboard for 3 HDs or 4 SSDs (via rubber grommets). Optional PSU and motherboard backplates (not shown).

Dimensions: 19-1/4 x 14-1/4 x 9-7/8 inches.

Model%201%20front.png

Model%201%20side.png

This is the back:
Model%201.png

The area behind the motherboard:
Model%201%20motherboard%20side.png

Side panels can be attached via studs, bolts, or by engaging bolt heads into the slotted extrusion (like most other case's side panels are attached).

Last edited:
Here's a case designed specifically for an AIR cooled DTX/mini-ITX rig. Long 3 slot GPU. 165mm max CPU cooler height. Shown with an ATX PSU, dual 140mm intake, 140mm exhaust, and dual 120mm bottom intake. The placement of the motherboard can be adjusted vertically. This design allows for easy shrinking of case height for SFX PSU or shorter GPU etc.

Vertical%20and%20reverse%20mini-DTX%20case%20frame%20AIR%20v1.jpg

Last edited:
I started to build a prototype of the vertical mini-ITX/mini-DTX case this week.

Some of the details of the case are:

Dimension: 435 x 235 x 300mm (height x width x depth)
Motherboard support: mini-ITX/mini-DTX (90-degree rotated)
CPU cooler height: 150mm
GPU support: maximum length of 325mm
PSU: SFX or ATX
Fans: 5 x 120mm
Storage: 2 x SSD/HD

First up was the removable motherboard tray:

IMG_1812%20(Small).jpg

IMG_1813%20(Small).jpg

IMG_1815%20(Small).jpg

Nuts can be inserted into the extrusion via small milled-out areas. By "capturing" a nut between two others (4mm long set screws are used to retain the two outer nuts), you have the ability to fasten to a fixed location and without having to drill and tap a thread e.g. a side panel.

IMG_1850%20(Small).jpg

IMG_1851%20(Small).jpg

IMG_1849%20(Small).jpg

IMG_1854%20(Small).jpg

I only realized after cutting the left side panel that the two fan hole cutouts were - um, ugly. So, I remounted that sheet to the inside of the case and cut another solid sheet, thus creating a bottom fed air duct to keep the GPU nice and cool.

IMG_1853%20(Small).jpg

IMG_2074%20(Small).jpg

IMG_2078%20(Small).jpg

:cool:

What's the cost of the extrusion you're using/proposing versus something like the Maker Beam product. How would you compete?
The pictures shown in this thread depict a higher quality and more professional product than Maker Beam so I think that is one area where this case kit would excel.

What's the cost of the extrusion you're using/proposing versus something like the Maker Beam product. How would you compete?
The pictures shown in this thread depict a higher quality and more professional product than Maker Beam so I think that is one area where this case kit would excel.

The extrusions I use are less expensive than MakerBeam XL and will include all required machining i.e. drilled, threads tapped, milled, etc.

Not to be a stalker since I always seem to stumble into Spotswood's threads..... but..... I purchased a couple of his original mining chassis way back in the day and was very happy with them. My 5830 setup even made [H] front page!

It looks like quality has been refined further over the years and I would not hesitate to purchase a Spotswood design If I was in the market.

Looks good man. Very clean lines. Just spit ballin here but this what ive been wanting but dont have the skill to create.
Dual 420 rads in front and a pair of 360s up top. With the rads above the mb without covering any of the mb components. With your psu shroud on the bottom to hide a evga 1300 g2 and room to mount pumps and reservoirs. Eatx mb tray. Some kind of mesh in front with filters to allow for solid airflow. The same badass mesh covering the 360 mounting area on top. Maybe a radiator chamber below the psu shroud with room for a pair of 360s or 420s. With the same mesh and filter system as the front. Finish it off with a tempered glass window. :D
Id pay good money for that case!

Looks good man. Very clean lines. Just spit ballin here but this what ive been wanting but dont have the skill to create.
Dual 420 rads in front and a pair of 360s up top. With the rads above the mb without covering any of the mb components. With your psu shroud on the bottom to hide a evga 1300 g2 and room to mount pumps and reservoirs. Eatx mb tray. Some kind of mesh in front with filters to allow for solid airflow. The same badass mesh covering the 360 mounting area on top. Maybe a radiator chamber below the psu shroud with room for a pair of 360s or 420s. With the same mesh and filter system as the front. Finish it off with a tempered glass window. :D
Id pay good money for that case!

So, you want a Caselabs STH10 or THW10? :cool:

Last edited:
Had no idea either of those existed... Hmm The thw10 is close? but not really what id like to build. The strip down the center of the front is fugly. I would hide the pw switch etc on the blank side to keep the single piece front mesh panel nice and clean.
I wont clutter up your thread with the rest of my dislikes/changes. Some day ill find a way to make it happen :D

The more I look at these, the more I like. I'd be interested in a matx with water setup. Plenty of room for an itx board and a big graphics card

A few questions - apologies while being a n00b:

1. Are there options to include or incorporate filters for fans?
2. How heavy would a case (including MB plates and such) weigh like the ones shown in post #127/128?
3. This is coming from some anonymous stranger, but have you considered a dual zone/chamber concept, or do you feel that to be needlessly complicated? I love the layout of the Lian-Li PC 011 Dynamic, but hate that I can't fit in my Noctua DH-15 in there. Similarly I wish I could move the PSU from the main compartment in my Meshify C to the back, while still keeping the compact feel to a ATX sized case.
4. Are there options to include or incorporate grommets for cable routing?

A few questions - apologies while being a n00b:

1. Are there options to include or incorporate filters for fans?
2. How heavy would a case (including MB plates and such) weigh like the ones shown in post #127/128?
3. This is coming from some anonymous stranger, but have you considered a dual zone/chamber concept, or do you feel that to be needlessly complicated? I love the layout of the Lian-Li PC 011 Dynamic, but hate that I can't fit in my Noctua DH-15 in there. Similarly I wish I could move the PSU from the main compartment in my Meshify C to the back, while still keeping the compact feel to a ATX sized case.
4. Are there options to include or incorporate grommets for cable routing?
  1. No, but the slotted extrusion could be leveraged for this.
  2. Pretty heavy.
  3. Yes. :)
  4. Hmmm...hadn't thought about that. Thanks!

i can see me with one of these and some tempered glass panels. maybe even put a beveled edge mirror on the indside of the back panel for a nice reflection through the side .

Back