Gauging interest in build-your-own case kits

Frames could be used to build cases with layouts similar (albeit a bit roomier) to the popular SFFs designed on [H] and OCN:

Modular%20SFF%20Cases%20v6.jpg

The fan/radiator mounting bracket is available from Caselabs.net

Last edited:
Sheeting can be applied directly to the outside of the frames or panels can be attached via bolts or via ball and receptacles (ala Caselabs). Panels can then have sheeting applied within the slots and/or to the outside of the panel frames.

Modular%20SFF%20Cases%20v8.jpg

A super quiet panel could be made via a triple layer of sheeting (possibly with sound absorbing/deadening material between the layers). :cool:

Verifying fitment of a 5-slot case frame kit by building a variation of a popular case here on [H] :eek:, but with a full-size ATX PSU.

5slotwCLIOSide-640.jpg

5slotwCLIO-640.jpg

5slotwPSU-640.jpg

The motherboard supports can either be made to go in the t-slots, or on the outside of the back beams, as shown here. The PSU was mounted slightly higher in these pics.

5slotSidewMBSupports-640.jpg

5slotBackWMBSupports-640.jpg

The front of the case was made into an air duct by adding another layer of extrusions and inserting some sheeting into the slots.

5slotFrontAirDuct-640.jpg

A CaseLabs radiator mount is attached to two posts which are then bolted to the case frame.

5slotwFanBacketAndPosts-640.jpg

I had forgotten to drill and thread the four holes required to mount this, but shallow threaded "holes" can be "created" anywhere and at anytime by simply capturing a nut in the extrusion. The milled-out areas in the extrusion allow for nuts to be inserted post-assembly.

5slotwCapturedNutCU-640.jpg

Last edited:
Panel frames cut and test fitted. The panels are attached to the case frame via hidden buttonhead bolts.

5slotwwPanelFramesFront-640.jpg

5slotwwPanelFramesSide-640.jpg

Looks classier than a lot of OEM cases with a lot more thought put towards design IMO. I've no interest in SFX builds but I'm still intrigued by the overall concept... Namely because I despise the more general ATX layouts.

I dunno why after so many decades we keep trying to force airflow around non-straight paths inside a case... Add to that the fact that most people have either little need for a bunch of 5.25" bays or a bunch of 3.5" bays (or neither) and a good chunk of mid sized and large cases are just wasted space.

I like stuff like the ST Ravens, Corsair Air 540, that sideways TT, etc... None of them got it quite right tho. The Raven is cramped, the Air is roomy yet the right side still wastes too much space, so on and so forth.

I'd love to be able to assemble a cube that has exactly as much space as I need for *my* specific amount of drives and no more (1-2 5.25", 2-3 2.5", 1-2 3.5"). Probably end up looking like a slimmer less cubey Air 540 with a real HDD rack or mount locations.

Sorry, rambling, I think your concept has legs. Even if you can't make it be all things for all people, I think many would pay for a case with *just* the right amount of bays and *just* the right amount of vents/windows (and modular would nail that easy cause panels go anywhere).

Progressing...slowly... lol

Did I mention that these will be completely modular? Here are examples of what you could build with just a "motherboard" and "psu" module(s), in all orientations and popular configurations.

Standard ATX:

Base%20ATX%20w%20PSU%20(Copy).jpg

Reverse ATX:

Base%20Reverse%20ATX%20w%20PSU%20(Copy).jpg

Horizontal:

Base%20Horizontal%20w%20PSU%20(Copy).jpg

Vertical:

Base%20Vertical%20w%20PSU%20(Copy).jpg

Man. This is great. If only I could afford the shipping and the material costs ;-;

Keep up the great work, you've got a great product idea here!

*drools*

I thought about building a case with a bunch of 80/20 as you have done. Looks great! Keep it up :D

Hi,

Just signed up to post on this thread. I am new to PC building (and PC's in general - Mac user) but recently built one to learn a new skill/for fun. It's a dual boot OS X/W10 gaming Micro ATX build. Works great but now I am thinking I might want to build a custom case for it. I don't want it to look like a PC as it sits in the living room - think 70's era B&O aesthetic. It might be a bit more than I can manage but this kit looks like it could be a great start for me - along with a MOBO tray (customised, I want to run my GPU at 90 degrees - angle not temp!). Are these ready to buy yet?

Cheers,
Chris.

Hi,

Just signed up to post on this thread. I am new to PC building (and PC's in general - Mac user) but recently built one to learn a new skill/for fun. It's a dual boot OS X/W10 gaming Micro ATX build. Works great but now I am thinking I might want to build a custom case for it. I don't want it to look like a PC as it sits in the living room - think 70's era B&O aesthetic. It might be a bit more than I can manage but this kit looks like it could be a great start for me - along with a MOBO tray (customised, I want to run my GPU at 90 degrees - angle not temp!). Are these ready to buy yet?

Cheers,
Chris.

This is my start layout... plan is to have it tall and thin.

Yes, I am very close to offering kits for "standard" cases (more or less), as I've shown above. For your particular case, I could only offer you a PSU mounting plate and extrusions. Send me a PM.

That sounds good enough to me... are you able to PM me? Can't find the option to message you, might be because I am new to this forum, might be because I'm being daft...
Cheers,
Chris.

Here's a custom test bench with the same backplate and PSU mounting plates to be offered with these kits.

Back.png

RightAngle.png

That would be an awesome NAS box. How do you mount the HDD cages to the case? Are there vibration issues?

I'd like one like that but with mesh sheeting from:

or tempered glass, is that possible?

The cages are attached to the extrusions with small 90-degree angles.

Attaching perforated sheeting is possible, but a real pain. Tempered glass? No.

I like these cases a lot and the concept is very interesting, but at the end of the day, they are too industrial for my tastes.

I like a little refinement and the simplicity of cases like the Ncase M1 and the Silverstone FT03 for my desk.

I can see these rail type designs for mining rigs or a test platform or something like that,

I like these cases a lot and the concept is very interesting, but at the end of the day, they are too industrial for my tastes.

I like a little refinement and the simplicity of cases like the Ncase M1 and the Silverstone FT03 for my desk.

I can see these rail type designs for mining rigs or a test platform or something like that,

The idea here is to supply a frame for the case, onto which the builder would apply the sheeting (aluminum, acrylic, wood, etc.)

I am presently working on an example of this. The hinged side panels will be make from aluminum extrusion and wood, with a solid wood top.

Kelvarr honegod pentiumiiislota What are you looking for in this idea? Generic or semi-custom kits? Standard pre-made frames? Side panels? Finished cases?
Pretty generic/pre-made frames for me overall. I have yet to decide which configuration is my favorite though. I would want side panels. All of the things that are popular now (RGB LED, windows, etc) mean nothing to me. Give me good airflow and cable/case management. Oh, and at least 2x 5 1/4" drive bays. Annodization would be nice (especially on the rails), but is it possible?

I've been looking at your various picture posts to see what one(s) I like the best.

In this prototype case frame, the motherboard is mounted to slotted extrusion, which are also used to mount a ton of drives (anywhere you want, via rubber grommets) and cable management (again, anywhere you want).

Totally unique. (Why do something just like everyone else?)

Proto%20frame%20motherboard%20beams.png

Proto%20frame%20motherboard%20beams%20backside%20w%20drives.png

Cable%20mgmt%20CU.png

6x HDs and 10x SSDs can be mounted behind the motherboard.

With the addition of the front posts, the frame could now accept sheathing e.g. acrylic, aluminum, glass, wood, etc.

Proto%20frame%20front%20post.png

However, this frame will be receiving panels framed with AL with wood inserts.

Test fitting the front panel to the frame revealed a very unacceptable gap (between the front post and front panel frame).

Proto%20frame%20front%20post%20gap.png

Milling out a 1.5mm deep rabbet from the front panel horizontal cross member fixed the problem:

http://www.spotswoodcomputercases.com/images/frames/atx proto/Mill rabbet.MOV

Proto%20frame%20front%20post%20no%20gap.png

Back