Gauging interest for motherboard trays for benchers

Spotswood

Gawd
EDIT: This thread has led to the development of a whole line of products!
4pOpenFrameB-320_zps1d2608ef.jpg
ATXMiniOpenFrameTray-320.jpg
4pTrayV2DoubleWithTop-320.jpg
NewHDMounting-320.jpg
2T-ATX-StationC-320_zps4ef9efcd.jpg
2T-ATX-SmallStationwRigA-320.jpg

Visit my website for more info.

I have this idea for building a batch of simple motherboard trays for benchers from T-slot extrusion.

BenchTray2.jpg

BenchTray1.jpg

I don't know guys, would anyone be interested in such a thing?

Maybe widen the tray to make room for a PSU?

Please post suggestions to improve the design.

Last edited:
I approve this message.. would it fit a 4p motherboard?
I can give you dimensions if needed... thx

I approve this message.. would it fit a 4p motherboard?
I can give you dimensions if needed... thx

Thanks.

I could see building these in a few different sizes. The model I posted was for an SR-2.

Post or PM me the dimensions.

if you extend it a bit, and put a spot for a simple HDD/SSD, and PSU, you will probably get alot of interest from the naked SR-2 folders, hell all the naked folders here

or those interested in becoming naked folders. Depending on cost, I'd certainly be interested for my next build... or several

put rack ears on it :)

I would stand the psu on end, and place a hdd place in the space in the corner

looks much better

if there is a way for you to make it rack mountable, you will have the more interest....i know a few SR-2 guys just use plywood atm :D

So the 4P SWATX and SSI MEB boards extent well past the rear I/O panel and into where that PSU is.

I do like the idea though... a lot, especially if we can stack these suckers.

So the 4P SWATX and SSI MEB boards extent well past the rear I/O panel and into where that PSU is.

I do like the idea though... a lot, especially if we can stack these suckers.

There's 17-inches between those posts. :D

looks much better

if there is a way for you to make it rack mountable, you will have the more interest....i know a few SR-2 guys just use plywood atm :D

4U unit. Not sure where the PSU and HD should go, in the front or back?

4UTray.jpg

If those were inexpensive enough, you could just use one as a PSU / HD shelf for two systems... but then it is inefficient for single systems.

Customer can decide where to place the PSU and HDs by choosing how to assemble it. :D

4UTray2.jpg

I still don't know what you guys would want on the front of it?

Not sure what others would want, but I would think a way to mount fans to blow across the motherboard from front to back would be handy.

They can, but a simple off the self ATX mobo tray would work just fine. Then drop a ATX mobo on it that will let you run 4x double width cards (like this one). You pick up nothing from running a huge mobo with 2 or 4 procs that you wont even use.

Nobody said they would run huge mobos, and that's not rackmount.

If the bench tray was made a bit taller or you tied two together they could run the x1 ribbon cables and run as many cards as they have slots....or more.

I'm confused.... why?

Bitcoin is all about ATI GPUs, not 2P and 4P setups with HPTX, MEB, and EATX sizes to deal with.

:confused:

Don't get hung up on the size guys. I'd expect standard size ATX MB "trays" to be the norm:

BenchTrayWPSU3.jpg

Last edited:
After just a few key design modifications the above case/tray can now be stacked and easily transformed into a bitcoin server via a few more bits of metal.

BenchTrayWPSU4.jpg

BitcoinBenchB.jpg

BitcoinBenchA.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly.... there are plenty of easy ways to do that for standard ATX...

so basically you have bitcoin ppl who want ATX and folders who want 4p board size...

Honestly.... there are plenty of easy ways to do that for standard ATX...

so basically you have bitcoin ppl who want ATX and folders who want 4p board size...

Yes, two size variations of the same design: 14-inches vs 17-inches between the two posts that hold up the expansion card support beam. :D

If this could be done for less then the overpriced Tech benches I'd be insterested.

^ +1
More likely, but depending on price, +4-5 if they stack at the 17" size for future compatibility/expansion. :)

BitcoinBenchA.jpg

Ive already ordered a bunch of 1x-16x adapter/extensions and 16x-16x extensions.. If this is wide enough for 5x 6950's spaced about 3/4" apart, pm me a price for 2 when you figure it up. A mounting system for rear 120-140mm fans to blow cards would also be nice.

Yeah the bitcoin guys want the ability to hang the GPUs in the air using PCIe ribbon riser cables.

I agree though, that the ability to stick a bank of a few 120mm or 140mm fans along one side would be ideal.

I however would be interested in one of these for a 4p server if the price is right. For me personally, it would have to be as close to $100 as possible.

A tray for 5 GPUs would require the large-size tray.

BitcoinBenchC.jpg

Of course all of the trays will be stackable and come with a few bits of aluminum to attach fans. :D

StackedBenchTray.jpg

EDIT: ATX tray would be $105 and a server-size tray $120.

Last edited:
At $85 I'm in for one.

Here's what the bitcoin kids are doing. You might get some interest there if you could work up an option for something like this:

DSC00114.JPG

At $85 I'm in for one.

Here's what the bitcoin kids are doing. You might get some interest there if you could work up an option for something like this:

DSC00114.JPG

Yep, been there done that, here.

I'd like to build a batch of these in a week or so. Please send me a PM if your interested. :D

Yeah I'd say you'll draw a lot more interest if you build mobo trays that have braces above the board to mount 4-6+ video cards using PCIe extender cables like shown in the photo above. There is a market demand for that at the moment and outside of the Bitcoin forums I'm sure you'd find several [H]ard users interested in them as well if you could build and sell them at a competitive price.

You can see others are trying to do the same with these but their prices are pretty high:

https://cablesaurus.com/index.php?m..._id=14&zenid=5ac48906b5a79a3f5f3cee14f2bcac6d

Back