Gauging interest for industrial SFF cases.

Spotswood

Gawd
I recently completed a couple of external radiator cases and someone remarked that the smaller version would be awesome for housing a micro/SFF rig.

LargeRadBox4.jpg

SmallRadBox5_1024.jpg

The use of over-the-top .10-inch thick aluminum sheets, 1/2x3/4-inch solid flat bar and 1/2x1-inch u-channel (for the frame) makes for a very rugged, albeit heavy case (weighing in at 10 pounds). Dimensions are (H x W x D): 176 x 304 x 377.

I don't know guys, would anyone be interested in such a case?

Please post suggestions to improve the design.

More pics of the small rad case are here.

Last edited:
Yeah, very very much something I'd take a look at. Classy and industrial are the two keywords i'd use to describe the perfect sff case for me.

Not bad. I'd like to see a pic of that fourth end thats facing away from the camera. I'm guessing it would be the front?

Not bad. I'd like to see a pic of that fourth end thats facing away from the camera. I'm guessing it would be the front?

The camera is facing the front. The unseen side is the back of the case.

This design isn't set in stone. Please tell me how it could be improved.

I like the minimalist design and the industrial design -- what kind of space are we looking at inside (mm)? You know us SFF types, try to get everything we can out of every mm :p

I would be very interested in something like this since there are hardly any sff cases that look as good as this.

Fit full length (ie 1kw+) PSU and a full length dual-GPU card and I'd be super interested. Something like the top design with room for a single optical drive, 1 internal 3.5" and 2 internal 2.5" drive bays, and at least one 120mm fan exit near the CPU for corsair H50/70 radiator (and perhaps offer a different side panel for people who need 2x120 or 3x120 radiator support).

Fit full length (ie 1kw+) PSU and a full length dual-GPU card and I'd be super interested. Something like the top design with room for a single optical drive, 1 internal 3.5" and 2 internal 2.5" drive bays, and at least one 120mm fan exit near the CPU for corsair H50/70 radiator (and perhaps offer a different side panel for people who need 2x120 or 3x120 radiator support).

with that much requirements the case will be big sized ,

i would like to see mini itx design myself

Jen

with that much requirements the case will be big sized ,

i would like to see mini itx design myself

Jen

Ditto.

Two half height expansion slots, a slim optical and room for a M4-ATX DC-DC PSU is what we need.

STF if you want another full expansion slot and full PSU case. There are plenty of those, at least if you ignore every other thread asking for xxxmm long case to accomidate x video card.

that being said, there are small ones out there too -- I like your idea of dual half-height expansion slots -- like a sugo 05/06 only shorter/less deep.

also ditto on the no full external slot... if you need an external at all, go slim, but I think an external opening on this case absolutely destroys the design flow (a tiny monolith, anodized AL would be pretty cool if possible).

Ditto.

Two half height expansion slots, a slim optical and room for a M4-ATX DC-DC PSU is what we need.

STF if you want another full expansion slot and full PSU case. There are plenty of those, at least if you ignore every other thread asking for xxxmm long case to accomidate x video card.

This is pretty reasonable. I don't think it's possible to make a game changing case unless you make specific sacrifices- those being a full 5.25" slot, full atx psu, and full length/height video card. A lot of SFF cases now are pretty damn good on space already for the accommodations they provide.

I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with SFF PSU requirements. Would someone please explain how a "M4-ATX DC-DC PSU" would work in this case (with links please).

Smaller systems (typically HTPCs) can get away with external AC-DC converters and having just an internal DC voltage regulator. It's a lot smaller and exports a lot of heat out of the case. Typically, they are about the size of matchbook on top of the 24-pin ATX plug; others can be larger -- up to SFX or even ATX sized.

Here's a good link: http://www.mini-box.com/DC-DC

You got me. When you said industrial, I was expecting something different, not just some industrial looking case. :)

Try as I might, I seem to have a hard time designing small cases. Sorry! :D

So out of the gate, I'm thinking of going with a deep micro ATX case (for gamers).

This case could hold an H50/H70 on the MB tray and a 120x2 radiator up front.

AluminumSFFCaseC.jpg

In order to not break up the huge awesome expanse of aluminum, the USB/headphones/etc. ports will be on the back of the case (over the rear fan and PSU).

Comments?

So out of the gate, I'm thinking of going with a deep micro ATX case (for gamers).

AluminumSFFCaseC.jpg

In order to not break up the huge awesome expanse of aluminum, the USB/headphones/etc. ports will be on the back of the case (over the rear fan and PSU).

Comments?

Going with this tower form of case is not a bad idea. Silverstone did it with their SG03 which has dimensions of approx.8" x 14.4" x 12.4" (WxHxD). That would probably be the closest case competitor to this you are showing.

Comments?

Could the front also be 6 x 5.25" bays that a radiator could fit in? I'm looking for a small case for a mini NAS, if I could put 2 x 5in3 drive cages in this that'd be pretty awesome. This design could be a fit for both water coolers and storage people.

Could the front also be 6 x 5.25" bays that a radiator could fit in? I'm looking for a small case for a mini NAS, if I could put 2 x 5in3 drive cages in this that'd be pretty awesome. This design could be a fit for both water coolers and storage people.

You could probably install those cages without 5.25-inch drive rails. What drive cages were you planning on using?

This is pretty reasonable. I don't think it's possible to make a game changing case unless you make specific sacrifices- those being a full 5.25" slot, full atx psu, and full length/height video card. A lot of SFF cases now are pretty damn good on space already for the accommodations they provide.

There is nothing wrong with micro ATX and I think if you dont make those sacrifices that you should just go ahead and get a micro ATX.

Just an idea I've had for a little while. I tried to come up with alternate designs that would fit any GPU, a full PSU, and a 240mm rad up front, and this is what I finalized on.

Last edited:
I think I've settled on a design that is an improvement on the same layout as the Lian Ll PC-V354 case. My take on that layout has the following improvements:
  1. A bit taller in order to mount intake fans on the bottom of the case.
  2. A separate mother board tray with a 1/2-inch space between it and the side panel for wire routing.
  3. A properly placed 120mm rear exhaust fan that permits mounting a H50/H70 heatsink.
  4. No external drives for a clean look and added room for HDs and the possibility of mounting a front 120x2 radiator.

AluminumSFFCaseD.jpg

AluminumSFFCaseE.jpg

Thoughts?

nice rich! I like it. the v354 is an awesome layout, but really needs those tweaks youve noted. I think a vent above the cpu cooler would go along way. depending on your fans it would just allow that rising heat to hopefully dissipate through the roof, or maybe even give the cpu cooler some fresh air. Cant wait to see you build one of these!

maybe cut out a panel of the mobo tray to allow for rear-cpu-socket access (easier to swap out some larger heatsinks)?

... (sorry, posted this comment in the wrong thread :p)

Last edited:
Well, I think you've sparked some serious interest. What kind of cost are you looking for a SFF case like the two pictured at the beginning of the thread. Cost will determine whether or not one acts on their interest or not. And looking at your original worklog, it requires a lot of care and attention to create that high of quality case. Craftsmanship is pricey. ;)

Edit: and a cutout behind the cpu socket is a good idea. You already have to remove the psu to get to the pci slots. You've have to completely disassemble the case to change the cooler without the motherboard cutout. :eek:

Well, I think you've sparked some serious interest. What kind of cost are you looking for a SFF case like the two pictured at the beginning of the thread. Cost will determine whether or not one acts on their interest or not. And looking at your original worklog, it requires a lot of care and attention to create that high of quality case. Craftsmanship is pricey. ;)

Edit: and a cutout behind the cpu socket is a good idea. You already have to remove the psu to get to the pci slots. You've have to completely disassemble the case to change the cooler without the motherboard cutout. :eek:

As a designer and builder, my emphasis is always on quality of design, workmanship and materials, and not so much on price. My hope is to offer these cases at around $200, but I'll know more about that after I build a prototype or two.

Here's an updated design:

AluminumSFFCaseF.jpg

What's the space behind the motherboard tray? there should be space to move all the wiring behind, also an opening on top of the tray so you can pass the 24pin connector thru there.

Otherwise....NICE!

What's the space behind the motherboard tray? there should be space to move all the wiring behind, also an opening on top of the tray so you can pass the 24pin connector thru there.

Otherwise....NICE!

24pin is on the sides? do you mean the 8pin? because ill +1 that. running your 8pin across the mobo is the most annoying thing ever. putting an access hole for it is a must!, makes stealthing the 8pin and rear exhaust way easier

I would be interested in a couple of prototype pictures of the proposed case. Thank you for posting your vision.

No external bays? Not even a slim drive? Fan controllers?

I modified the design to accept a second 240 in the bottom, note: these are not skinny radiators.

Fan controller up top. Incidentally, a window on this one would allow for a completely unblocked view of everything. The volume in the first pic is wrong, it actually comes out to 27.1 Litres.

Anybody like this?

Last edited:
Really don't like the psu placement :( It's a nifty idea, but I think I'd opt for a slightly taller case with the psu where the bottom rad is and a triple rad up front... or maybe a dual 140mm with the optical on top.

or maybe make it a little taller and make the psu exhaust out the top front, similar to the a-05, but flipped.

this is getting confusing with you posting your pics in here too ronin. you should start your own thread to discuss your design if you want to keep going in that direction since it seems spotswood has just about settled on a design.

looks like a great case spotswood. can you post some pictures of the interior of one of yours? i want to see how you made the frame and attached the panels etc. also interested in how you plan on securing the gpu, if the tab(s) will be internal or poking out the back. that was one thing that took me a while to figure out on mine. love the look, but alas matx is just way too bulky for me. :D

Last edited:
The MB standoffs will be 1/2-inch tall and the distance between the tray and the side panel will also be 1/2-inch, which isn't that much room, but a whole lot better than everything else out there.

This case will be constructed similar to the external rad boxes in the first post. A build log is here. The GPU brackets will stick out of the back.

Back