Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

Well, my XHD3000 has starting to show a green screen. It just started. The monitor is one and half years old. Any one have any suggestions what I may try to fix this problem.

klee

My Gateway XHD3000 started with the same flickering/strobe and lines showing up on the screen about 2 months back.

Thanks to you, and this forum, I learned about the LTM300M1C8LV3.2 board and eventually got one about a week ago from China.

I don't think I will get a second chance at opening up the monitor without breaking something, so thinking I should take my time to figure out what I'll need to do regarding the heating problem pointed out here.

Right now I don't have any good equipment nor a good setup were I can even turn the monitor on with its guts open to figure which parts heat up.

There are 5 pieces (square patches) of gray rubber/gummy like material with some adhesive on both sides that go between some parts on the board and the shielding screen that goes over the board. They don't seem to be able to transfer the heat, so do these patches need to be removed then?

The patches go over 2 Silicon Image DVI input processors, the Altera FPGA and a bunch of smaller components that I suspect are the power part of the board.

There are also three pads that I think are heatsinks (since they seem to have metal in them) on the reverse side of the board underneath the Samsung RAM chips.

Can anyone share some more information on which part or parts need additional cooling?

I'm seeing someone else on eBay fixing the controller boards with issues and claiming to improve the thermal tolerance of the board. So I'm wondering if anyone here has insight on which parts actually get damaged and would share that.

The new board I've got seems to be a test board (has a few more parts populated around the test IO socket), so I would very much rather repair the original if at all possible.

/sigh .... the secret to fixing the logic boards is out on the internet. so much for trying to score a cheap broken one on eBay

/sigh .... the secret to fixing the logic boards is out on the internet. so much for trying to score a cheap broken one on eBay

Was only a matter of time dude I mean come on ..its the internet ;)

If I still had my XHD3000 and it died on me I would junk it period. I got really lucky selling it off ages ago.

Just wanted to add what i've found doing my research for the board.

We already know about bambamfran on ebay and the service he offers. What i wondered was were he was getting his supply from. Now i can't tell who made the board but i have found a chinese auction site that carries the boards.

Now it seems there were multiple revisions of of the board itself because one seller has two versions listed
LTM300M1C8LV1.0 http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3775514869
&
LTM300M1C8LV3.2 http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4424159871

I am unable to purchase them because i don't speak chinese and i have no one to translate for me.

I have also had no luck finding a service manual or internal product name from gateway for this monitor.

On a side note the problem is for sure a thermal one as my monitor blanked out on me before christmas and i put it aside for about 3 months until april when i decided to see what would happen if i interoduced some element of cooling. To my great surprise the monitor started showing again all be it still flickering but it would stay on for hours with no problem with just the use of a normal house fan.

I think some copper heatsinks on the correct chips would go a long way to easing the issue with an otherwise excellent monitor.

Commodore64[PET];1035803934 said:
Could you share a pointer to this? I didn't have any luck searching with Google.

One eBay seller posted exactly what is wrong with the boards (after getting into an argument with the other seller).

Anyways, neither of those sellers were the *original* repair guys - man, it pisses me off when people claim that. What proof do they have of it - just 'cause they bragged about it on eBay?

Anyways, long story short - the Altera hard-fpga needs to be resoldered. I did it with a heatgun and some easy flowing flux (you must know what you are doing so you don't overcook it).

/sigh: sadly, I need a new LCD screen: one got cracked (in an unrelated accident), the other one has leaking crystals ... bad luck on my side. doesn't look like i'll be able to score a cheap one. Ever since the $400 card seller got onto the market, the price jumped to over $200 for bad ones. The most recent one on eBay went for $375!

the Altera hard-fpga needs to be resoldered. I did it with a heatgun and some easy flowing flux (you must know what you are doing so you don't overcook it).

Any chance you could do a quick video of the above solution and stick it on YouTube, I'm sure that I speak for quite a few of us without the service manual you would really appreciate it?

Or if the video is too much trouble can you post an image in this forum with the highlight of the "Altera hard-fpga"that needs the re-soldering?

Any help appreciated

Pawstar, thanks a lot for sharing the tip :cool:. If I've looked up the part correctly it is equivalent to a Stratix 1.5 EP1S30F780 series. This is going to be tough one for me as I've never retouched a BGA part.

1t.runner The Altera part is the largest part on the board and the only one with a silver top and Altera and Hardcopy are written on it (it's got a thermal pad stuck on it but once that's removed the actual packaging will be exposed).

Here are a couple of videos I found on YouTube for the process:

Reflow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Ek-F-M-YW5E&feature=related

Reballing (though doesn't seem practical at least for me):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1InDsWCjQ&feature=related

[QUOTE='Commodore64[PET] ...Stratix 1.5 EP1S30F780 series....[/QUOTE]

Cheers for your quick reply but I'm confused, does the above part deal with the #1. Flickering screen, #2. Total green screen overlay or the #3. Permanent vertical rainbow stripes over the White vertical tear?

[QUOTE='Commodore64The Altera part..... Altera and Hardcopy...[/QUOTE]

Same here, which one of the above issues does this components deal with?

[QUOTE='Commodore64....Here are a couple of videos I found on YouTube for the process:...[/QUOTE]

Thanks very very much, this makes the enormity of the repair apparent, but also that it's not out of the question with the right tools, once again thank you and it is much appreciated.

Hello everyone my name is John and I am the $400 eBay seller that has been referred to so many times on this site AKA Computerguru43560. I just wanted to share with everyone on there that for the next 24 hours only I have lowered the prices on the cards from $400 to $300 to be nice after seeing this site.

Thanks,
John

Still spamming this forum with your overpriced merchandise. Ha ha, nice price drop -- not. Could it be cause I posted the really easy fix (if you know what you are doing) in this forum or that I revealed in the 305t thread that a replacement LCD panel (which includes the logic board) is cheaper than your asking price of $400 for just the logic board or maybe that another member posted the original Chinese source for these cards ?

Still spamming this forum with your overpriced merchandise. Ha ha, nice price drop -- not. Could it be cause I posted the really easy fix (if you know what you are doing) in this forum or that I revealed in the 305t thread that a replacement LCD panel (which includes the logic board) is cheaper than your asking price of $400 for just the logic board or maybe that another member posted the original Chinese source for these cards ?

Having had two of my three XHD3000's die within the last two months, a fix would have been nice to know about. That said, what are the guarantee's the panels will last anymore then another year after being fixed? I'm not taking my chances. I'm so mad at Gateway I cannot say I even want to show off their brand in my setup regardless.

John bought one of my dead monitors, and personally, I was just glad to recoup some loss.

Just to let you guys know i now have a working xhd3000 after attempting the reflow myself. Found the tutorial online and after working up the guts to do it i have a working monitor again :):):)

Didn't take any pics while i was doing it so i can't show you but it works!!!!!!

Here's the link to the tutorial: http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-notebooks/210232/diy-ibook-dual-usb-logic-board/

I used a miniature butane torch to do it not a heat gun but you can use either. I've had it on since last night (about 11pm) and it shows like i just got it. Just turned her off and i'll put her back together tonight. Even proded at the chip while she was on to make sure everything is secure and no problems there. I'll be attaching some small copper heat sinks to provide proper cooling so all should be fine.

Get luck to anyone else here willing to give it a go. If not try getting the board from the links i posted earlier or you can always get it from bambamfran.

Having had two of my three XHD3000's die within the last two months, a fix would have been nice to know about. That said, what are the guarantee's the panels will last anymore then another year after being fixed? I'm not taking my chances. I'm so mad at Gateway I cannot say I even want to show off their brand in my setup regardless.

John bought one of my dead monitors, and personally, I was just glad to recoup some loss.

Well if you take the necessary steps of adding some extra cooling, it should be fine for a long time to come Having said that, there is no guarantee, only time will tell.

I am not a fan of John, as he has been pretty much acting like a scalper & spammer in one. Those cards he is selling for $400 are *way* overpriced. Like I said before you can get a complete LCD panel for that price if you know where to look (that comes with a new LCD screen, filters, backlight and of course the logic board). He is just preying on peoples misfortunes. If he wants to sell them at the price, he is free to do so, but he shouldn't be violating forum rules, etc. There is another place on this site dedicated for those kinds of dealings.

On a slightly different topic, if you despise your Gateways so much and you want to offload your other one, I am more than willing to accept it :cool:

Last edited:
That may be so bambamfran but there are little methods that i picked up from the link i posted with the tutorial where i was able to get a good gauge of what the temps were like so i'm happy in the end. And if you check youtube for reflowing, if you have the right equipment you can use a butane torch!!!!

When i checked locally (I live in Trinidad & Tobago in the West Indies) no one here was willing to reflow the chip and i was advised to either buy a new monitor or get a replacement board as the one i had was dead!!!!!!

Paying 400usd for a board didn't sit well with me (might as well get a new monitor) and i couldn't sign up to the Chinese site which sold them for approx 30usd as i don't speak or write Chinese so doing it myself made more sense.

I guess i can call myself lucky!!!!!

On a slightly different topic, if you despise your Gateways so much and you want to offload your other one, I am more than willing to accept it :cool:

Once I have saved enough for the first 3008WFP, I will be selling my last, and still working, XHD3000. If you are truly interested feel free to shot me a PM.

An interesting observation was made about letting the Vid card handle scaling and that the Display would run cooler.

I have had my Display doing only 2560x1600 since day 1. Yesterday I had it run a few hours off a Directv box at 1920x1080. It ran a lot hotter off the DTV box. One presumes because it is having to downscale.

I'm wondering if the people who had the issues the quickest were running non native resolutions?

I've basically never done that until yesterday.

I have a guy I buy audio gear from in China. I may see if he can get me a couple boards and send them to me to squirrel away.

Once mine is off warranty, like that matters, I'm going to get out a dremel tool and mod the hell out of the case for cooling.

Mine has worked perfectly for 2 1/2 years. I absolutely LOVE this monitor and don't know what I would replace it with.

Ohhh, and Gateway does SUCK some Serious Donkey Prong!

Once I have saved enough for the first 3008WFP, I will be selling my last, and still working, XHD3000. If you are truly interested feel free to shot me a PM.

Hey Frraksurred, we spoke in the past here and there, at one point I had two GatewayXHD3000s and I was gonna get a third like you had, but then one of my screens went blank.

I sent it in for repair (after a tedious time with customer service back and fourting over the phone and email for a few days) and when they finally received my monitor they told me that they would not repair it because the screen was cracked! I had an argument with them and they said to have ups fix it with insurance, but I think they were full of shit, so I refused to take it up with UPS even though it was fully insured. I packaged it in the original box, with original foam and everything so they are full of shit.

Anyway, they sent it back to me and I refused to accept it and ups sent it right back and then they "lost," it when it came back to them again. UPS said it was redelivered and gateways repair/RMA wareshouse said it was lost and never delivered.

Long story short, Gateway fucked me and I was so pissed that I sold my other XHD3000 and actually made a $150 profit on the sale! However, that hardly makes up for the $1,000 that I lost because Gateway robbed me.

Im running three Dell U2410s now and am much happier, FUCK GATEWAY!

Hey Frraksurred, we spoke in the past here and there, at one point I had two GatewayXHD3000s and I was gonna get a third like you had, but then one of my screens went blank.

I sent it in for repair (after a tedious time with customer service back and fourting over the phone and email for a few days) and when they finally received my monitor they told me that they would not repair it because the screen was cracked! I had an argument with them and they said to have ups fix it with insurance, but I think they were full of shit, so I refused to take it up with UPS even though it was fully insured. I packaged it in the original box, with original foam and everything so they are full of shit.

Anyway, they sent it back to me and I refused to accept it and ups sent it right back and then they "lost," it when it came back to them again. UPS said it was redelivered and gateways repair/RMA wareshouse said it was lost and never delivered.

Long story short, Gateway fucked me and I was so pissed that I sold my other XHD3000 and actually made a $150 profit on the sale! However, that hardly makes up for the $1,000 that I lost because Gateway robbed me.

Im running three Dell U2410s now and am much happier, FUCK GATEWAY!
may i inquire why you had several phone conversations and emails with gateway before they decided to take it?

may i inquire why you had several phone conversations and emails with gateway before they decided to take it?

You gotta put the RMA request in online through email. The email is answered by infamous INDIAN CUSTOMER SUPPORT TECHS THAT SUCK, and it takes days and days of emails from SONJAY RIMJOB that tell you to troubleshoot the problem by REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT, even though your dealing with a fucking dead monitor and all the computer reboots in the world would not help it. Frustrated, I searched and tracked down several phone numbers and actually spoke to Americans, who said that I had to continue dealing with Sonjay Rimjob and Hornysaweeb Bootang...finally after days of email hell, Sonjay issues you an RMA notice and gives you the address of where to send the monitor...thus beginning a new level of hell and phone call tag hell.

has anyone successfully gotten this repaired by a professional?
i got the dreaded banding and discoloration about a week ago.
considering my options - a new 30 is still pricey, called the monitor place in houston (monitordepot) and they do not repair this particular model. nice folks though
pls respond in thread, i don't check the pm's often

Hey Frraksurred, we spoke in the past here and there, at one point I had two GatewayXHD3000s and I was gonna get a third like you had, but then one of my screens went blank...

Dude I'm sorry to hear that. That absolutely sux... but it is indicative of Gateway. When I bought my second XHD3000 and went to register it online I noticed the first one I had registered was no longer there. I didn't think much of it and re-registered it along with the new one. Later, when I went to register my third panel I noticed the previous two had been erased again. I registered all three, made screen captures and printed out all my receipts from Newegg.

I bought the third one about the same time the complaints began to get some news. Had I known I would have gone with the Dell. Looking back, I should have sold the Gateways and cut my loses. Don't know that I would have felt right selling something I knew was going to fail anyway. Regardless, the fail rate on these monitors has been 100% so far. I am amazed there has not been a class action suit yet. If there ever is, I am prepared. I would suggest doing the same to anyone else who still owns one of these.

hey everyone i just posted in revtech's new thread about the fix for the vertical bands but i dont have those on the one i just got from a friend. mine is just a really crappy picture, no vertical lines. however, when i turn it on without an input the screen is all tinted green. no tint when theres an input. also, i noticed that if i try to run extended desktop with my 24" sceptre then it moves the picture over about half the screen to the left, and theres some banding there. i was just wondering if anyone else encountered the same problem, or if its all just been the banding. looks like this. thanks!

Wow, this thread is still going..

The funny thing is, just a few days ago my monitor would just go blank. It's not the short blanking that we all know about. It would just blank totally for a long time.. If I turn it off and on again after about an hour, it would come back on. It did this for about 2 days. And today it went blank for good. It doesn't even show the gateway logo when turned on. But it recognizes the feed and all.

I saw many postings online about their XHD3000's failing just outside of their warranty period of 1 year. I find it odd that mine died right near the 3 year mark. Why is that odd you say? I had purchased the extended warranty from the get go that gave it a 3 year warranty.. It just seems very weird that it would die right when the warranty is about to be over.

well....i suppose its inevitable
my 3000 shows a green tint over the whole screen now

ive had it almost 3 years now...

oh well....drooling at the hp u3011 now...

I know there is a guy on eBay who fixes these screens. Its kind of expensive but from his feedback it seems like he has done a lot of these and is the real deal ! I took the plunge and purchased one of his cards earlier tonight. I will let you all know how things go !

I know it’s been a while since this threaded has been bumped but I was wounding if the users of this monitor would recommend purchasing one at this point? :confused:

Thanks,

David

I know it’s been a while since this threaded has been bumped but I was wounding if the users of this monitor would recommend purchasing one at this point? :confused:

Thanks,

David

I've had one for over 3 years now with no problems.

Here is why I don't think I had any problems.

I only run it at 2560x1600.

It makes a ton more heat at any other res where it has to downconvert. If I run a 1080P signal from a Directv box, it gets hot. I think it does great if you leave it at Native res most of the time.

Ohhh, and I Love mine...

I've had mine for about 3 years now and today it started with the flickering problem. I run this monitor on daily for about 12-15 hours so it's been used pretty hard. I took it apart and did the candle on the chip fix and it's been solid so far. Only been about 30m so we'll see how it holds up. Up until today, I had been extremely satisfied with the monitor.

To all the folks that have these monitors.

Run them at Native res and make sure you have a screen saver setup and power management set aggressively and I believe they will last a long time.

Don't know if anybody is looking for a speaker bar, but I am selling mine. It is Flawless and has never been used.

Speaker Bar

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back