Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

Does anyone know how to flash the firmware on the xhd3000? I keep hearing rumors of different versions, but can't seem to find any real info.

I get screen blanking fairly often :(

Yea I can't find any more either. I would love a second, but no luck thus far :(

Watch ebay. One just went for $1,199 yesterday and $1200 a week before that. Now that these are rare the Working one will be expensive as this is the BEST 30"Past, present or future when they work well.

still rockin', with fingers crossed. i love this monitor - and there does not appear to be any decent 30" alternatives at the moment with all the features this one has, so i'll continue to hope for the best with this one!

Good luck to those with still-working displays - mine started flash strobing and pinstriping about 2 weeks after the warranty ended, and Gateway did not even bother to respond to my support email. I can still read text on it (although barely) but I'm getting a 3008 to replace it. Will sorely miss the PIP for HDTV though. And the remote. Thank heavens work pays for my hardware or I would have been majorly PO'ed.

I suspect those of us that have had the problematic displays are heavy users - mine was used about 8-10 hours most days.They get awfully hot, so a small fan blowing into the cooling openings at the back of the panel might prolong your monitor's life, in light of the substandard parts they obviously went with.

Good luck to those with still-working displays - mine started flash strobing and pinstriping about 2 weeks after the warranty ended, and Gateway did not even bother to respond to my support email. I can still read text on it (although barely) but I'm getting a 3008 to replace it. Will sorely miss the PIP for HDTV though. And the remote. Thank heavens work pays for my hardware or I would have been majorly PO'ed.

I suspect those of us that have had the problematic displays are heavy users - mine was used about 8-10 hours most days.They get awfully hot, so a small fan blowing into the cooling openings at the back of the panel might prolong your monitor's life, in light of the substandard parts they obviously went with.

I've had mine running 24 hours a day for 2 years. I hate to post that, I'm not usually superstitious, but I don't want the monitor Gods to punish me. I still have a year left on my warranty so we'll see.

agree totally on this feature - i love watching nfl games while surfing the web! like the poster above, keeping the fingers crossed and hoping the 'monitor gods' don't strike down this monitor :cool:

for those with mech problems, have you considered outside (of warranty) repair? seems like a lot to give up on, considering what was paid ($1800 here, i know 30's are about $1200 now)

Dont buy this monitor ever. I had mine repalced under warranty exaclty 12 month ago you can find my post here as well ~12 month ago. but now exaclty 12 month after they shipped me a new one I have the same problem as I did. here is the pic of what I am talking about.

E7A9416.jpg

I used my monitor the same way Gateway is a lemon product

well today I turned my 30" gateway again and that while bar was gone, so I was happy for about 5 hr then it came back again. it looks like its interminten now.
anybody have any solution that this. to my post #970?

I think I broke a record. My XHD3000 lasted a whole 1 year and 8 months. It is now dying - flickering and blue-tinted screen. I contacted Gateway and they told me to take it to a "local repair center". After all this time and all the customer complaint, they can't even give me a lead on where I can get this POS fixed. I now have a $1500 paper weight.

Last edited:
Dont buy this monitor ever. I had mine repalced under warranty exaclty 12 month ago you can find my post here as well ~12 month ago. but now exaclty 12 month after they shipped me a new one I have the same problem as I did. here is the pic of what I am talking about.

E7A9416.jpg

I used my monitor the same way Gateway is a lemon product
Greetings everyone, this is my first post. I agree with Kortik, stay far away from this monitor. I have owned two of them. The first died after six months, the second started dying after 13 months. Gateway no longer makes the parts to repair these monitors. Yes they are a great monitor when they work properly, but why risk ending up with an expensive paper weight. Five days ago I purchased the NEC 3090WQXi and I could not be happier. It ships with a four year warranty which gives me great peace of mind.after what i have been through with Gateway.

I had my present 30' for a little over a year and this one was the top of my buy list
Glad I did the research and didn't get it there a ticking time bomb with no support
Retailers drop these like a hot potatoes

Last edited:
Good luck to those with still-working displays - mine started flash strobing and pinstriping about 2 weeks after the warranty ended, and Gateway did not even bother to respond to my support email.

I have three of these screens and am dreading the worst. The first one I purchased is now doing the same strobe / pinstripe as yours; about four months past warranty. I haven't even bothered contacting Gateway, I know how that would go.

I love these monitors and there are no real replacements that offer the input selection and scaling that I am aware of. I will probably go the Dell route as well, if nothing else then for the DP input for my Eyefinity.

I have searched for a class action suit but found none, hard to believe really. If I had the money I'd start one. It is criminal how Gateway has treated their customers over this fiasco.

Nah, class action lawsuits usually benefit only the lawyers. We'd probably end up with a $100 coupon towards another Gateway product. I for one will never ever buy another Gateway product after this experience with one of their "premium" products.

I have three of these screens and am dreading the worst. The first one I purchased is now doing the same strobe / pinstripe as yours; about four months past warranty. I haven't even bothered contacting Gateway, I know how that would go.

I love these monitors and there are no real replacements that offer the input selection and scaling that I am aware of. I will probably go the Dell route as well, if nothing else then for the DP input for my Eyefinity.

I have searched for a class action suit but found none, hard to believe really. If I had the money I'd start one. It is criminal how Gateway has treated their customers over this fiasco.

Dell has the 2nd worst replacement policy they just recycle other people returns until you bitch enough and you might get satisfaction on 3rd or 4th return on 30'
Go HP or LG
LG is making some good panels these days
PS: Sweet setup

May I ask what for? You plan to strip the power supply's or something else for refurbs?

So wait this part will fail once a year? The parts you have to replace it do they have a fix for this problem?

Well suppose its worth while for the users , I was just curious more than anything. So you replace the entire board in the panel? Geez no wonder its so expensive.

Gateway should really be sued for offering no repair service for those effected.

Yea I've taken apart a 22 inch LCD before for my friends DYI projector project , its incredibly delicate and complex and its just crazy how one small thing can render the entire panel dead.

They don't have a fix but I do. I replace the board and make some modifications to it to allow for better cooling, The original design from Gateway is for lack of a better word horrible. The part is extremely hard to find so hard that people are willing to pay the price that I am asking to have there screens fixed. But if you have an XHD3000 that is displaying one of the symptoms listed in the auction page I can fix it for you. To the best of my knowledge I am the only person who is able to do this

But to answer your question if you purchase my repair you should get a screen that will last another 3-4 years with out any problems.

John

Nice little cottage industry that Gateway was able to spawn here. I've pretty much crossed them off my list of return business...

Mine works great so far at a little over two years. You could do everyone a good turn by explaining how to keep this from happening though. Since you said you mod them to improve longevity. There most likely will be enough business come your way that the few failures you help prevent wouldn't kill your business totally. I imagine a lot of new people to this thread will be finding us after the failure. Also if he parts are as hard to get as you say they are, you won't be able to fix them all anyhow.

What is GW doing about the ones that are under warranty at the present time that fail? I bought a 3 year warranty on mine. I just had the spooks about it, I usually never buy extended warranties.

To the best of my knowledge I am the only person who is able to do this

You know, I had to log into hardforum just to refute your claim. You are NOT the only person who can repair these, just claim to be.

I fixed the XHD3000 two months before you even identified the problem with the monitor (yes, I did see your postings on Youtube).

And people, just so you know, he sells the monitors for 700-800 on ebay without the power supply after he replaces the board.

BTW, there is another guy on ebay who claims to be able to fix the monitor for much cheaper (bambam something - if you search to the board number, he used to show up); dunno if he is legit or not, but some food for thought

Take your spam to the Buy/Sell/Trade section where it belongs.

Last edited:
But you really have to gut the screen to get access to the part. It's about the same as replacing the engine in a car.

Yeah, right ... more like 1/2 hour tops if you know what you are doing. 1hr if you have done anything similar in the past.

1. Unplug everything
2. Unscrew base, speaker board (if you have it) remove all the screws holding the connectors
3. Use an old plastic card to gently pry open the bezel and remove the back cover
4. Unplug the wires from the main board
5. Unscrew the metal case covering the main board
6. Unplug remaining connectors from the main board.
7. Unscrew the main board.
8. Unscrew the main board support skeleton thing
9. Remove the tape over the lcd ribbon cable
10. Unscrew the cage over the lcd controller board.
11. Replace board and add more gummy heatpads heatsinks
12. and do the reverse

If I owned one of these and it fried I would probably ditch it or sell it to that dude for parts money and buy another 30 inch that won't die prematurely.

You know, I had to log into hardforum just to refute your claim. You are NOT the only person who can repair these, just claim to be.

I fixed the XHD3000 two months before you even identified the problem with the monitor (yes, I did see your postings on Youtube).

And people, just so you know, he sells the monitors for 700-800 on ebay without the power supply after he replaces the board.

BTW, there is another guy on ebay who claims to be able to fix the monitor for much cheaper (bambam something - if you search to the board number, he used to show up); dunno if he is legit or not, but some food for thought

Take your spam to the Buy/Sell/Trade section where it belongs.

He was real chatty here till I asked him to contribute a little...

nice one ;) pawstar, now we just need the replacement board model number and part number, can you provide that? any help appreciated:)

Here's the Board number LTM300M1C8LV3.2

A nice DIY prevention tutorial with PIX and heat sink parts numbers would be awesome!

Mine still has a year on the warranty, whatever that's worth. I would be very tempted to open it up and heatsink the chips if that would help.

I really love the monitor.

Here's the Board number LTM300M1C8LV3.2

A nice DIY prevention tutorial with PIX and heat sink parts numbers would be awesome!

Mine still has a year on the warranty, whatever that's worth. I would be very tempted to open it up and heatsink the chips if that would help.

I really love the monitor.

nice one les_garten, now I just need to source one in the UK, anyone got any suggestions other than eBay USA, shipping is too expensive from the USA?

Cheers any help appreciated and my results would be posted here, of course..

I've still got a 20" Trinitron from 1996 that works perfect. I have a number of other monitors from then as well. I expect quality to hold up over time. We certainly paid quality money for these monitors. This monitor is awesome as long as it works. There is also no replacement for it on the market. It is a shame that it has been treated so poorly by GW.

If anyone's looking for a working XHD3000, I'm selling mine. Partly because I need some money but also because I never got the full resolution going on my macbook. It doesn't have the flickering or banding problem as far as I've ever seen (at 1920x1200 at least).

It's in very good condition: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230461070658

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I bought a the replacement board listed in this thread off of E-Bay and replaced it and my monitor is good again. I was getting green lines all over the place to where stuff wasn't readable anymore. I've never worked on monitors before and the replacement took me about half an hour. It's really pretty easy if you go slow and be a little careful.

If I had to guess, I would say the problem is heat that destroys some components of the board over time. The thermal pads they use are cheap and the board isn't well ventilated. I will probably stick a USB fan on my monitor with this new board to see if I can keepthe new one alive longer. My original board only lasted about a year and some change before I hit the green line problem. I did notice that sometimes the problem would clear up when the house was cold, but if it got humid or hot in my house, the problem came back.

I might take my old board and stick various heatsinks to it to see if maybe it can be used again later.

wagz1 n00bie, 3 Days
and
I might take my old board and stick various heatsinks to it to see if maybe it can be used again later.

I'm not going to be able to fund the replacement mobo before the World Cup (June), so I know that I and others at this forum would be very interested if we could refurbish our existing boards with the knowledge you gain from your heatsinks tests on the old mobo.
Any chance you can bring your test schedule forward to accommodate us?

I know myself I will eventually have to get a new backup mobo, from a piece of mind points of view before they become obsolete, but I'm sure we all would like to know if we could keep the old one as a backup.

Much appreciated

Anyone managed to get hold of a service manual for this display? Of course if I locate one I will distribute it here.

Any help appreciated

Back