Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

I saw this monitor in Fry's and was very impressed at the clarity and wide angle of view that produced no shading on movement such as seen in a TN panel. It looked great, really great. I am a senior and to my pleasant surprise I was able to view all text and icons more comfortably (both in height and quality of text print) compared to my present 20 inch CRT - and that was whether the Gateway was displaying in native 2560 X 1600 or scaled down to a 1900 X 1200.

IMPORTANT QUESTION
Are these problems finally resolved!?
--> Lockup in sleep problem, blackout issue, screw appearing behind screen.

For those of you who say you have not experienced any of the problems, please tell me how long you have owned the monitor. Am ready to purchase this monitor provided these problems no longer exist.

Thank you!

Can you PC gamers out there be frank with me and tell me how much of a fps hit you are running into from playing your games in the 2560 X1600 resolution when compared to lower resolutions?

Thanks,
Supersnake

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit Additional Entry:
I am holding out for NVIDIA's next card ( 9900GTX, GT200 or whatever they are going to name it). Until then I will be using my GeForce 6800 Ultra so the matter of "video card" power to run this 30 inch monitor is critical.
I just read a review of this monitor on http://www.gamealmighty.com/tech-re...Gateway_XHD3000_30_Extreme_HD_Display_Review/
and what they wrote gives me encouragement:

As mentioned in the video, what sets the XHD3000 apart from the competition is its image processor - more specifically Silicon Optix's Realta HQV chipset. For the first time ever a monitor is able to upsample with amazing quality any signal thrown at it to the display's native 2560x1600, what Gateway is calling 1600p. 480i from a camcorder, 720p from an Xbox 360, 1280x800 from a PC - you name it and the XHD3000 can display it. This flexibility means that the XHD3000 is capable of being the perfect centerpiece for a home theater environment, which other 30" monitors just aren't capable of doing.

One huge benefit of the image processor is its ability to make lower res inputs look great at 2560x1600. This means that if you've got an older PC that just can't run the latest games at the display's native resolution you can select something less extreme like 1920x1200, 1680x1050, or even 1280x800. You'll net huge performance gains by lowering the resolution, but the picture will still look great. Gamers are no longer forced into upgrading their PC every 6 months to keep up with their displays high resolution. The XHD3000 keeps you gaming regardless of how good your PC.

I saw this monitor in Fry's and was very impressed at the clarity and wide angle of view that produced no shading on movement such as seen in a TN panel. It looked great, really great. I am a senior and to my pleasant surprise I was able to view all text and icons more comfortably (both in height and quality of text print) compared to my present 20 inch CRT - and that was whether the Gateway was displaying in native 2560 X 1600 or scaled down to a 1900 X 1200.

IMPORTANT QUESTION
Are these problems finally resolved!?
--> Lockup in sleep problem, blackout issue, screw appearing behind screen.

For those of you who say you have not experienced any of the problems, please tell me how long you have owned the monitor. Am ready to purchase this monitor provided these problems no longer exist.

Thank you!

Ive had one since december and have had no blackouts, screws, or lockups. The only problem ive had is volume control on the speaker bar has sometimes responded slowly but it only lasts a few mins. otherwise this is an amazing monitor.

Ive had one since december and have had no blackouts, screws, or lockups. The only problem ive had is volume control on the speaker bar has sometimes responded slowly but it only lasts a few mins. otherwise this is an amazing monitor.

Falconman, I really appreciated your taking the time to respond and hope others will also do so once they see this post.

I telephoned GW Tech Line tonight and spoke of my concerns before I make my purchase. His answers were that he was aware of all three issues as having existed: blackouts, screws, and lockups. His comments:

Blackouts He felt that it was due to the users stressing out the monitor by forcing it to run settings (during games) that were too demanding. He seemed pretty firm in this assessment and felt that it was not a deficit in the monitor. I didn't ask him to explain exactly how users were causing this monitor "stress" but he implied that it was really a non-issue. I asked if there was some credence to our theory that monitors released before December were to be blamed but he neither acknowledged nor denied this. He did say that monitors available to purchase should not be having this problem (assuming that we don't tax the monitor?)

Lockouts He gave no explanation other than to say that there aren't any (anymore?).

Screw imprint He said that has been resolved and no one should be seeing this issue any longer.

I am assuming that he was a Tier 1 tech support person being he was the one who answered my phone call and I did not ask for confirmation of his information from somebody higher up in his department.

Will still like to hear from more owners as I still need some additional reassurances from others like yourself.

Thank you,
Supersnake

Blackouts He felt that it was due to the users stressing out the monitor by forcing it to run settings (during games) that were too demanding. He seemed pretty firm in this assessment and felt that it was not a deficit in the monitor. I didn't ask him to explain exactly how

users were causing this monitor "stress" but he implied that it was really a non-issue. I asked if there was some credence to our theory that monitors released before December were to be blamed but he neither acknowledged nor denied this. He did say that monitors available to purchase should not be having this problem (assuming that we don't tax the monitor?)

Hi,
Mine is dated Dec 2007. I have zero issues and love the monitor.

The stressing out the display stuff is a load of crap I feel. If you are running it at 2560 x1600, it should do it with no issues. Nobody so far has been able to say, "this is what is causing the problem" that I know of. In another words, nobody can reliably reporduce the problem as far as a pattern is concerned. If somebody could reproduce it reliably, they need to let GW know so they can fix it.

Sorry to report that I chose not to purchase the Gateway XHD 3000.
It was throwing off too much heat for my comfort and was noticeably felt when sitting at less than arm's length. This is an issue for me in Las Vegas where I have my air conditioner on virtually non-stop in summers.

For my own curiosity I compared the heat output to the Apple 30 inch monitor and it too threw an uncomfortable amount of heat but not as hot as the Gateway. There was one other 30" in the store (I think it was an LG?) and it was hot too, but the Gateway was the most heat producing of the three 30 inch monitors.

There were no other ones for me to consider in Fry's because the remainder were TN panels and I prefer not to purchase a TN regardless of how "fast" they are or how little input lag they have. Will be more patient and keep up the research for an IPS panel - 26 inch preferrably. Will have to check out BestBuy in town and find out.

That's a shame snake, but good luck.

One last question: can I use xhd3000 r/w plugins for sound and have it output to my sound card without the speaker bar? Thanks again.

That's a shame snake, but good luck.

One last question: can I use xhd3000 r/w plugins for sound and have it output to my sound card without the speaker bar? Thanks again.

Thank you unrealsword...(sigh). According to the manual the monitor consumes 168 Watts of power in operation, 19W in Standby

Am not sure I understand your question, on the speaker bar there is a power outlet to power the bar and there is a sound-in outlet which is fed by the cable you have coming out of your sound card. If you wish to download the manual you can go to http://www.theusermanualsite.com/manuals/mfg/gateway/flat_panel_monitor_xhd3000.html
and fill out the no obligation registration form.

For those of you who do not consider the heat an issue - enjoy!

Supersnake

My xhd3000 keeps my room warm.
Room temps are about a good 5 degrees fahrenheit higher than anywhere else.

My xhd3000 keeps my room warm.
Room temps are about a good 5 degrees fahrenheit higher than anywhere else.

You corroborated the heat that I felt. I was uncomfortable sitting in front of it and a five degree increase in room temperature would be significant.

I have had my xhd3000 since November, I ordered it from Gateway the week it came out. It is one of four 30 inch displays that I run 10 to 12 hours a day on my work machine. The other monitors are Dell and HP.

The Gateway runs hotter. From my viewing position with an IR thermometer the Dell is 83 F and the Gateway is 94 F.

I have had NO problems with the Gateway monitor. If you want the extra features I recommend it. I slightly prefer the HP but unless you plan to color calibrate your monitors or use them for pro graphics it is impossible to make rational image quality distinctions between these monitors as plain out of the box devices. BTW I would not recommend any of these brands for seriously finicky graphics pros.

Non pro users have quirky personal preferences as to out of the box color balance and brightness which bias brand choice. Gateway does have a "calibration by eyeball" that is reasonably close but still isn't completely accurate.

ZKV

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the OP really reeks of 'shill'iness.....

Back to enjoying my FAR superior HP© display :D

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the OP really reeks of 'shill'iness.....

Back to enjoying my FAR superior HP© display :D

I shouldn't even answer this inane post. But I will mention a few observations.

1) Your irrelevant post is inconsiderate in that it has nothing to add to the thread, and by posting you made all the other subscribers come here to read your stupid post.
2) Why is your post stupid or irrelevant? Because you felt the need to come here and make a "crack" about this monitor because you own an HP which you "Think" is better. I guess you troll the ATI forums and tell them to get a Nvidia, I guess you troll the PC forums and tell them to get a MAC. WHAT A LOSER!!
3) I looked at Dell' and HP's and bought this monitor for a number of things your FAR superior HP couldn't do, get it. A LOT OF THINGS.
4) 99.9999% of even high end monitor users cannot appreciate your FAR superior color gamut. It was only about a year ago that this monitor's color gamut would have been the finest on the market,
5) as soon as you grown up from 15 years old to 16 years old, come back...

???

I was going to try my best to not respond to this type of response, but I honestly could not hold back from pointing out you feel a bit more like a troll hunter than I'm sure my post sounded. The comparison to my monitor was just a joke... hence the © symbol. And last time I checked this forum was a place that someone could make an entirely truthfull and observant point. Until someone with real history and wisdom on this board pops their head out and tells me differently, you're troll hunting will seem a tad ridiculous to me.

But back to the monitor, I am sure its pretty 'n' all... but my statement about the first post still stands, and I believe I've only said what many people have thought about this, and many threads.

???

I was going to try my best to not respond to this type of response, but I honestly could not hold back from pointing out you feel a bit more like a troll hunter than I'm sure my post sounded. The comparison to my monitor was just a joke... hence the © symbol. And last time I checked this forum was a place that someone could make an entirely truthfull and observant point. Until someone with real history and wisdom on this board pops their head out and tells me differently, you're troll hunting will seem a tad ridiculous to me.

But back to the monitor, I am sure its pretty 'n' all... but my statement about the first post still stands, and I believe I've only said what many people have thought about this, and many threads.

I guess you just can't help proving that you are an Idjut! There are over 600 posts on this thread discussing this monitor. None of them yours. Then you pop in and make a crack about your "FAR" superior HP, and how a post over 600 posts ago sounds like a shill post. Other than being an IDJUT, what's your point?

By the way, you weren't supposed to come back until you're 16 or have your mommy's permission. Why don't you log on to Microsft TechNet and tell them all to switch to Linux....

Retro,

Your comment was out of place and no amount of you trying to explain why it was not is going to convince us. So, would you please just quietly slip away and don't come back to this thread?

hey. i've posted this question in the fhd2400 thread but no one with f*ckin answer me. so ill ask here since this is just a step above it. so i have my xbox 360 hooked up by vga. and currently im running my sound through my laptop speakers. but just recently have been getting static on the input. i dno what it is but im sick of using my laptop anyways. so i was thinking of buying the optional speaker bar(i believe it comes with the 30 inch monitor) and i know theres an "s-video" type cable that carries HDMI audio to the speakers. but what other speaker inputs dus it have? id need either R/W RCA or 3.5mm jack. dus it have either? please someone answer. i need to know b4 i buy it online.

Just ordered:
abpe1t.jpg

Retro,

Your comment was out of place and no amount of you trying to explain why it was not is going to convince us. So, would you please just quietly slip away and don't come back to this thread?

Or, another option, how about you do....

Hey guys if I hook up my ps3 via hdmi and have the R/W plugs output to my speakers to get sound for wii/360 will tthe ps3 have sound as well? Reason I'm asking is that because of the hdcp crap and restriction of video/sound. Or will I need the speaker bar for that.

What panel type does this LCD use? S-IPS or PVA?
Gateway XHD3000 6ms G2G 30"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM300M1)

Reference: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

PVA

PVA (patterned vertical alignment) and S-PVA (super patterned vertical alignment) are alternative versions of MVA technology offered by Samsung. Developed independently, they offer similar features to MVA, but with higher contrast ratios of up to 3000:1. Less expensive PVA panels often use dithering and FRC, while S-PVA panels all use at least 8-bit color and do not use color simulation methods. Some newer S-PVA panels offered by Eizo offer 10-bit color internally, which enables gamma and other corrections with reduced banding. PVA and S-PVA offer good black depth and wide viewing angles and S-PVA also offers fast response times using modern RTC technologies.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPVA#PVA

Thanks. I would of thought for the price it would be a S-IPS :(

Hey guys if I hook up my ps3 via hdmi and have the R/W plugs output to my speakers to get sound for wii/360 will tthe ps3 have sound as well? Reason I'm asking is that because of the hdcp crap and restriction of video/sound. Or will I need the speaker bar for that.

The hdmi port outputs its sound via the red and white rca plugs.

It''s here! Words cant describe how big it looks in person. I can see all the haus sections without the need for scrolling! Xbox 360, PS3, Wii all work marvelously!
w71n61.jpg

301oxvd.jpg

t7ep28.jpg

vzko4w.jpg

Looks good. I'm probably gonna pick one up here in the next couple of months. My guess is in october the price's gonna drop substantially due to that's the 1 year mark from its release date. BTW keep us posted if u notice the blackout issue unrealsword if you would. Ohh, and what graphics card are you using to power the thing?

Nm, i see that your using the 9800gx2 i'm planning on getting either the 4870x2 or the 9900gtx when they come our respectively.

I hadn't considered this Gateway until recently. The more I learn about it, the better I like it.

How do you have your desktop like that? What are those icons on the bottom?
This is my desktop:
Untitled-1.jpg

The icons are a custom pack I found online, then I used the vista shortcut icon remover and made folders in which I put stuff. Then I changed their icons to what I desired. To get a second desktop on my 2nd screen I used ultramon. This allows me to have the ability to minimize to the desktop in which the program is opened without the hastle of it being on the primary screen. Also the program lets me shift windows with a press of a key. It's quite good.

Back