Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

Doesn't seem like a very thorough review.
Was hoping there would be more info regarding the upscaling, especially in games.

Oh wells.

Was hoping there would be more info regarding the upscaling, especially in games.

Oh wells.
Most monitor reviews aren't very in-depth...Behardware is the only site that I've seen do extensive testing.

Yeah need gaming opinions for sure. Guess I will have to tough it out with my 24" lol.

Oh wells.

Wow, I thought that review was fairly thorough, they even put in on a test bench and took measurements. Most display reviews just look at screen and coment on the pretty image;)

Sure it's good to have measurements to compare to other monitors, but for me the "real world" performance matters more. For one, having some images to show the difference between native and upscaled resolutions would have been nice to see. Because this upscaling feature would be one of the big reasons, along with the amount of various inputs - people will pay the premium for this monitor.

Well, I won't be measuring things with either hardware or software, but I will post a "real world" review once I get mine. I just hope I can get it by this week.

I want to know the quality of the composite and s-video connections and whether hdmi, component and everything else has overscan problems. I can't wait until a review that thorough comes out.

Another brief review at PC World. They liked it better than the Dell or Samsung:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138145-c,lcd/article.html

They liked it better than the Dell or Samsung
They didn't mention anything about the HP, though. This article indirectly contradicts the review from ExtremeTech which stated that the color gamut is inferior to the competition. The PCworld review reported that they liked viewing images better on the Gateway and that its overall picture quality is superior, if only marginally. So, I guess it's close enough to the competition that will make many potential buyers let their wallets decide, or opt for the Gateway's advanced features.

Thanks for the review link enyceexdanny.

It seems to me that the jaggies he is referring is due to the limitation of his his video card, the 8600GT? I'm not sure on that. Also, he doesn't state what type of computer hardware he is running. He didn't try any games of course from the website the review originated that would be understandable. Plus I think his video card would probably die if he tried to play any games at 2560 x 1600. :D

Hopefully someone would do a more thorough review for us gamers.

This review has me doubting the monitor a bit. No backlight adjustment? Strange. Won't it be too bright at night? I would assume all the adjustment would need to be made via the video driver. That's limiting IMO. Also, the HQV Realta tech didn't deliver flawless scaling. Some artifacts reared their ugly heads and that significantly diminishes the monitor's appeal, but not as much as the lack of a backlight control. Maybe Gateway will eventually release a better revision with a BL control later on.

I own the gateway fpd2185w (21" widescreen) and it too doesnt offer a backlight control however, I use the contrast to control it.

I don't think there are any consumer chips, nor even high end studio chips that offer *flawless* scaling. It seems the Realta chip is about as good as they get in the consumer market. He mentions that the artifacts are minor. Generally with any other monitor, it would be worse.

P.s. I should have the monitor in my hands by Monday, or Wednesday at the latest.
I will try to write up a more thorough review. I was hoping to get it before the weekend so I have the whole 2 days to test it out.. But I guess it'll have to be next weekend. >_>

The chipset set used by Matrox`s Triplehead2go on the analog and digital edition is certainly able to handle the full resolution of 2560x1600@60Hz (and even exceed it with 3840x1200) through analog/VGA connection (and with the digital with DL-DVI). It is a shame that no monitors utilise this chipset... Then again is probably propietary to Matrox.

i was super excited by this monitor, but get more disappointed with every passing day.. but i guess that happens when any brand new things pops up.. especially with LCD displays in general

i was bummed to find out that PIP only works when you are using dual-link DVI

does anyone know if you can do multiple PIPs at once? so i could be on my deskop, watch TV, and play xbox at the same time? :p

does anyone know if you can do multiple PIPs at once? so i could be on my deskop, watch TV, and play xbox at the same time? :p
It would be very nice, but I seriously doubt that. Actually, I never heard of a display that can do multiple simultaneous PIP. Not saying it doesn't exist or can't be done, just never seen it.

BTW, you can accomplish the same thing by adding a TV card.

I dunno, this looks like a pretty compelling proposition,

Discarding the inverse ghosting, firmware and quality issues which are plaguing BenQ, Dell, Sharp, et al. discussed here and AVS at length, this monitor looks like a real winner.

Going through the manual, I noticed it has full overscan and 1:1 pixel mapping options, allowing pretty much anything using component, HDMI, VGA and DVI to be "pixel perfect". All this and it still provides the option of upscaling to a super-high resolution using one of the best consumer-available upscaling chips.

If it was Super-IPS based it would be perfect in my eyes, but as it is, it's pretty close. I've seen enough S-PVA panels and believe they are pretty good too IMHO.

Regardless, I would consider this if I was in this market currently.

Regards,

10e

Argh, it's still under processing.
Ever since Gateway's professional division got sold to mpc, it takes forever to process the payment since it has to go to mpc for approval.

Oh well, 1570 shipped overnight isn't bad at all.

Well, I ordered it through my company. Submitted tax exempt cert. for no tax, and the business divisions executive sales rep gave me some discounts since there were quite a bit of margin left.

Stinkin shipping was 75 for overnight. If it wasn't for that, it would've been cheaper >_>

ExtremeTech believes the brightness setting is a real backlight control. (Which is apparently the case is some monitors.)

So one of the reviews is wrong. (I don't know which...)

this thing is pretty nice... ups driver delivered it yesterday. still hooking everything up. Here's a couple pics. Dont know if i'll keep it though... thinking of going 37" as this will be for movies too
imgp0453fr0.jpg

Just got it delivered today. Finished hooking it up. I haven't ran any tests yet other than looking for dead/stuck pixels. I found a total of 1. Which isn't bad.

I will test it over the weekend and should have a full review up next week along with the pictures.

Is it me or does the black level look fantastic? I too am contemplating this display but I am also thinking about a 37" 1080p is enough resolution for me, but something bout the gateway really grabs me, its exactly what i've always wanted in a monitor, ESPECIALLY the fact that it has a remote.

Ok, I actually placed an order for a replacement.
There seems to be a small nickel sized shadow when viewed on white background, on the center right of the monitor. When I put some pressure on it, I can see an imprint of something behind the panel. Looks like a circle with a cross, as if it's a flat plastic screw.

Also, that sticker on the face of the monitor seems so tightly stuck. I tried removing it, very carefully of course, and it peeling some parts of the aluminum along with it.....

So yeah, I should have a new one by tuesday.. >_>

Come on, I want to hear more feekback ! :eek:
This looks like it's going to be my Christmas present for myself this year :D

Hey stalker ... how you liking the monitor right about now?

I still like the monitor and I am still jealous of that video chip inside that does all the upscaling of various inputs. But the fact that they chose to use the older panel with the 72 percent color gamut as opposed to the current 92 percent panels has sorta calmed me down just a tad.

I shall receive the new one by tomorrow, or latest Friday.
Hopefully I can take a bunch of pictures and write up a review over the weekend.

Sorry for the delay guys. Been so busy with work and such.
Just a quick summary so far is that if you're a perfectionist like I am, you will find alot of issues with the monitor that will get on your nerves. But out of the current line of 30" monitors, although there aren't much - the XHD3000 is definitely the one to buy.

I'll try to get the review up as soon as I can, thanks for being patient. =)

Sorry for the delay guys. Been so busy with work and such. Just a quick summary so far is that if you're a perfectionist like I am, you will find alot of issues with the monitor that will get on your nerves. But out of the current line of 30" monitors, although there aren't much - the XHD3000 is definitely the one to buy.

I'll try to get the review up as soon as I can, thanks for being patient. =)
No problem, looking forward to your review.

Received the replacement this morning and just finished setting it up.
Seems much better so far. No dead pixel, no backlight bleeding (I'd have to check more carefully at nighttime).

Back