Gateway restarting itself... question(s)

EET

Limp Gawd
So we (finally) got cable a week or so ago, and everything's going pretty good for the most part. Only time I'm having issues is with Steam. I'm starting in basic classes for Network Admin., but I don't any troubleshooting experience as of yet...
Long story short, we got a Linksys WCG200 gateway over a year ago when we were supposed to initially get cable. When I refresh the servers in Steam (not in-game), the router restarts itself, and I'm not sure why. Most of the settings on the gateway are still at their default, but there's an 'applications and gaming' tab in the setup that I'm thinking may be able to help here?

.......Time.................Priority..Message

2008-01-01 10:13:22..critical..Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
2007-12-31 01:20:05..critical..Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
2007-12-26 12:45:48..critical..DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
2007-12-26 12:45:38..critical..No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2007-12-26 12:27:57..critical..SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
2007-12-26 12:27:56..critical..SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
2007-12-26 12:27:21..critical..Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
2007-12-26 12:26:54..critical..SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
1970-01-01 16:29:33..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 16:29:29..critical..DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
1970-01-01 16:29:20..critical..No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:03:21..critical..No UCD's Received - Timeout
1970-01-01 00:00:29..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:25..critical..No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:22..error.....ToD request sent- No Response received
1970-01-01 00:00:22..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:20..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:19..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:15..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Could someone help me here? :\

First thing I would try is to reset the router to factory defaults then check for a firmware upgrade.

Those errors span quite a bit of time, you'd want to get them from right at the time you're connecting to steam.

Well, I know when it does it, it's only when I'm refreshing the server list, no other time. The rest of the time it works flawlessly.

The applications and gaming tab lets you forward ports. Definitely reset the router to default, check for firmware upgrade and set it up again. Even if there is no firmware upgrade setting to default and setting up the router again may fix the problem. You could have something in there accidentally changed.

The applications and gaming tab lets you forward ports. Definitely reset the router to default, check for firmware upgrade and set it up again. Even if there is no firmware upgrade setting to default and setting up the router again may fix the problem. You could have something in there accidentally changed.

I agree

I tried resetting the router, but to no avail. I also tried entering 'steam.exe' in the Applications & Gaming tab and set the port range from 27000 to 27050 including both udp and tcp. Still the same thing, if it refreshes for more than 15 seconds or so, it resets itself. I have a strong feeling it's something to do with Steam and a setting somewhere, but I'm stumped where it could be...:confused::confused:

Odd enough, you're not the only one having this issue;
http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-8867.html

In general, network traffic should never reboot a router, no matter how bad the implementation is. While it seems to be an issue with the implementation of the server browser on steam, its probably buggier code on the routers causing the problem. I'm running IPCOP as my firewall (its a linux-based firewall running on an old PII 400 I have) and have never had issues with the server browser, but when I use to run off my unhacked wrt-54g it would reboot whenever there were a large amount of connections to various places (common with me, especially with work), this is what caused me to give up on home-office based routers (tried several) and move on to semi-corporate level stuff. You wouldn't believe how much trouble you can cause with a router having more than one VPN connection open at a time.

Chances are we are pushing so much traffic these days that programming shortcuts taken on cheap/semi-cheap home routers aren't cutting it and causing more and more problems. You see a lot more applications using more ports and mass connections than 4 or 5 years ago yet I still come across newer routers that you can easily max out their CPUs and cause them to reboot/freeze.

Your best bet is to check for a firmware upgrade on your router. You may also want to search google for your model + steam + server browser crashes, someone might have posted a fix.

Well, I did a little more looking on Steam, and found there was a posting on routers restarting while refreshing servers here, and to add a registry key to cut down on the rate that Steam uses when updating servers (I'm assuming). I've tried this, but it still hasn't worked :mad: I guess I could try completely restarting the system with the new setting, I haven't dabbled much at all with registry values for fear of f'ing something up, so I don't know what's required to apply a certain value (tried just restarting Steam, but that didn't make any difference). I've looked all over, using Google, even looking through Linksys' site for info on a firmware update, because I think I've looked at every nook & cranny in the setup for the router/gateway and haven't found anything besides info on what the firmware version is.

I don't think the solution is going to be a registry patch, it's likely going to be a firmware issue as others have said.

That Linksys box apparently has a long history of reset problems. Google found this very quickly:

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/b...le&thread.id=14&view=by_date_ascending&page=3

EDIT:

This may not be fixable at all depending on what the problem is with the Linksys. Some routers from a couple of years ago had some really crappy chipsets. Lot's of dropping and reset issues that never did get fixed.

Is this on a wireless connection?

If so, try it wired and see if that changes anything.

Long story short, we got a Linksys WCG200 gateway over a year ago when we were supposed to initially get cable. When I refresh the servers in Steam (not in-game), the router restarts itself, and I'm not sure why. Most of the settings on the gateway are still at their default, but there's an 'applications and gaming' tab in the setup that I'm thinking may be able to help here?

.......Time.................Priority..Message

2008-01-01 10:13:22..critical..Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
2007-12-31 01:20:05..critical..Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
2007-12-26 12:45:48..critical..DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
2007-12-26 12:45:38..critical..No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2007-12-26 12:27:57..critical..SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
2007-12-26 12:27:56..critical..SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
2007-12-26 12:27:21..critical..Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
2007-12-26 12:26:54..critical..SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
1970-01-01 16:29:33..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 16:29:29..critical..DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
1970-01-01 16:29:20..critical..No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:03:21..critical..No UCD's Received - Timeout
1970-01-01 00:00:29..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:25..critical..No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:22..error.....ToD request sent- No Response received
1970-01-01 00:00:22..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:20..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:19..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:15..critical..DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Could someone help me here? :\
The errors you posted are "normal" for 99% of cable customers out there and do not affect performance. I'd definitely say your problem is with the gateway device and would recommend you drop the Linksys WCG200, purchase or rent a dedicated cable modem like the Motorola SB5120 and grab a stand-alone router like the D-Link DIR-655.

Otherwise, try updating the firmware on the device and see if that helps...

Stay away from all-in-one devices whenever possible.

I've done quite a bit of looking, and I think the only way to update my firmware (2.0.3.5.10-0425) is through my ISP (Charter). I haven't had any reset issues outside Steam, which only resets when it gets to 4,xxx servers or so, so it's not a major thing, just something I'm trying to sort out. I can duplicate the restart on a whim should I choose, but I usually just stop the refresh at around 1,000-1,200 servers. All those restarts were from me refreshing the server list.

If you look around on the steam forums, I believe they have a setting where you can limit the number of servers that show up in that list, that way you don't have to be quick to cancel or loose your connection.

I've done quite a bit of looking, and I think the only way to update my firmware 2.0.3.5.10-0425 is through my ISP (Charter).
That's entirely possible. I'd suggest looking at replacing your gateway when you can.

If you look around on the steam forums, I believe they have a setting where you can limit the number of servers that show up in that list, that way you don't have to be quick to cancel or loose your connection.

After trying the registry entry override without success, I'll take a look at this too. Thx :)

Back