Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

I don't know if I have trouble with the monitor, the cable, or the attached equipment. I cannot get high definition output on the monitor via the DVI port (using a DVI/HDMI adapter).
The Cablevision settop box gives me good 1080i output via the component cables (at least on 'Component 2'), but I get 'no signal' via the DVI/HDMI port.:mad:
My Canon HV20 HDV camcorder likewise gives me gorgeous HDV output via the component cable, but only 720*480 output via DVI/HDMI port.
No trouble at all getting 1900*1080 output on the Gateway monitor from my computer using a DVI cable from the video card to the DVI port on the monitor.:)
Are there any settings on the monitor that would preclude me from getting HDTV via the DVI/HDMI port on the monitor?:confused:
Thanks for your help / advice.
Burk

God sake. This issue with monitors is starting to piss me off.

This monitor sounded perfect and the reviews I read before I got it were pretty good.

The monitor is incapable of 1:1 at 720p on the ps3 (DVI).

The banding for me is an issue. I don't like it one bit.

I don't wanna return another fecking monitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap.

That was the worst support I have EVER received in my entire life.

I went on to their online support as I couldn't find a number to call. I had to fill in all my details before the chat, name, address, serial, problem etc.

Then he asked me ALL of the questions again during the chat -- fair enough. Once I told him I had my macbook and ps3 hooked up, he said we don't support it and closed the chat. So I went back through it and said I'd hooked it up to my PC with Windows XP (which I hadn't).

He then asked where I purchased it and said 'Take it back and get it changed' and then closed the window again.

Holy crap I am god smacked. I will be taking it back, I most certainly won't be getting a replacement.

I compared the colour banding on my Samsung 206bw to this and it's a significant difference. wow. The gateway looks terrible. Static image however often looks beautiful.

Oh well. I absolutely recommend against this monitor.

ok so after sending in my first replacement model due to horrid color banding, they send me a second replacements.. unlike my first one that came in a brand new sealed box this one comes in a beat up brown box, i open it and its a used display with dints and scratches all over it, the panel itself has black shadows on it in the shape of a fist like someone punched it.. theres huge black shadowing all over different parts of the display, the manual book and driver disk is clearly used... AND at the bottom of the box laying there they added a brand new speaker attachment thing to i guess somehow make up for sending me a damaged lcd....

So after calling the support guy informed me that what happened here was a "fluke", they dont send out used monitors... so they are sending me a new one right off the bat.. be here in 5 days... he told me to go ahead and keep the speakers since i really cant send them back with the monitor anyway because they are not included....

They are sending me a new monitor first this time and im suppose to send them my old one back.. but since they have no credit card info or anything im thinking ill just keep this one...

I didn't read that far ahead. Maybe your right, I got a brand new one since I had them send me a replacement first.

Maybe because gateway sold to Acer, their service really downgraded, now they will not send the replacement in advance by default. At my insistence, they agreed to send it in advance, but hold $500 in my credit card:(

Well, I am glad my second display was great, the first one had terrible banding and went on the fritz at 3 mos. old.

Problem is solved for me, my Westy 37" will be here thursday.;)

I just got a 2nd one to replace my 19inch samsung that i was using as a 2nd monitor. Got a good deal at CompUSA. I seem to notice that the right one is birghter with the exact same settings. I'll see how it is after a few days.

^ LCD brightness degrades with time, so the one on the right (assuming that is the newer panel) will be brighter. Just raise the older one's brightness alittle bit and the problem should be solved.

Hi all, I read like 40 pages of this thread and I have a couple questions. I'm planning to buy a new 24" LCD monitor for home. I already chose a local shop where I'd go to check the monitor and, if everything is OK, buy it. I'll be using it for normal home usage (email / web / some epps), movies, coding... Now I have Sharp LL-T1811W, so it will be an upgrade anyway. However, I have a few questions:

1/ How can I check the manufacturing date? You guys are talking here about version from Month / Year (e.g. Jan 2007) - how can I check that physically by looking at the monitor? Which version now are generally OK and which are not?

2/ What test images / software should I run to check the image quality? How long should I wait for the monitor to warm up before I start the tests?

3/ What do I look for specifically apart from bad pixels / sub pixels, unequal black background color near edges / corners, image flickering, ghosting?

3/ What are other models I should consider in the same price range? I tried looking at Dell 2407WFP but it's 1,5 more expensive than the Gateway one.

Hey guys, sorry for a bit of thread necromancy...

I just bought this monitor used ($290!) but it doesnt come with a power cord. does this just use the standard AC input (link)?

Thanks.

Hey guys, sorry for a bit of thread necromancy...

I just bought this monitor used ($290!) but it doesnt come with a power cord. does this just use the standard AC input (link)?

Thanks.

edited: wait a sec...I can find out....hang on....

Actually, my bud has one, I can find out tomorrow...

Circumstance has left me with Two of these monitors ATM. One manufacture date week 4 - 2007 firmware GA5.0 the other manufacturer date week 10 - 2007 firmware date GA5.5. I have 1 day left to decide whether to return one or keep both. Both have fine pictures. But I'm having trouble justifying to myself keeping two 24 inch monitors so are there any differences between these two firmware's? Anything non obvious I should look for?

thank you,

Hi Everyone.

I'm new. I bought GATEWAY FPD2485W.

And I have a question...

Monitor works good, but when I receive a sms or someone call me and my telephone is near the monitor (10 - 40 cm), view on the monitor is distorted and for few seconds the matrix (is that correct?) is black.

The monitor is connected by a dvi cable (bought for 10$).

Could someone answer ?

sounds like you used a crappy cable. mine doesn't do that and I'm using the cable that came with it.

Maybe. I'll buy a new one after holiday. The cable, I got with monitor i much worst. I got the VGA cable...

Anyway, I'm from Poland. I bought this monitor for 800$ count to your value. ;-)

Yeah I have, there is no doubt there is motion blur when I play UT3 on the PC. In some maps it's really obvious when you are moving around alot. But, its not that bad overall. The input lag is not as bad as other S-PVA monitors. The colors displayed on this monitor is vivid which makes the games look great. It has 1:1 pixel mapping and it works well with the Xbox 360 when I have it connected via VGA port.

Man, do I ever wish that I'd found this thread before I ordered this monitor...

I bought it Refurbished from CompUSA.com a few months ago, because the price was SO good and the reviews that I found through some googling seemed pretty good. It had the vast array of inputs which is what I was really looking for, so I went for it.

I'm on my 3rd one now...

1) First one came with a yellow vertical line spanning almost the entire height of the screen, right in the middle.
2) First replacement came, and externally it looked pretty good. BUT, there was something rattling around inside it, so I didn't even bother with it, and just sent it back.
3) 2nd replacement came, and this one definitely looked used... which I was OK with, just as long as it was going to work.

It's been working OK for a few weeks, but today when I woke up and I moved the mouse to power it back on, it didn't. the power light stayed purple... and when I touched the power button, I couldn't turn it on or off!

I yanked the power cable, plugged it back in, and it came back on. BUT, now the OSD is stuck on the first screen, prompting me to pick the Language. And I can't make it go away. All the lights on the touch pad part are dead, and it's completely unresponsive....

Anyone have any thoughts on this, before I ship it back ONE MORE TIME... Luckily I'm still in the 90 days of warranty I have... man, this SUCKS.

Mine is starting to have pixels die and it is just about a year old.

Also, gateway will no longer send you a new replacement monitor.
They have you send it to their "tech shop" to be "worked on".

Anyone have any experience with fixing this monitors? The touch-sensitive buttons are out on mine, and thus I can't select the inputs and can't use it....

I could have sworn that it was supposed to be able to sense Inputs and switch to whatever is on, but that doesn't seem to be working either. I tried with the VGA port and the Composite port. Nothing...

I'm out of warranty now... and even if I wasn't, I'm not sure I'd even bother sending it to Gateway. MAN do they suck. NEVER again...

Finally I bought a new one for around 700$. It's OK, picture quality is good enough for me.

The only issue I found is that it takes long to detect DVI signal, so usually I can't see my POST screen.

kocureq said:
Finally I bought a new one for around 700$. It's OK, picture quality is good enough for me.

The only issue I found is that it takes long to detect DVI signal, so usually I can't see my POST screen.

wow, where did you find a new one? And I can't believe how much it was! When did you purchase it?

Bought this around 2/2007 and it almost made it to 3 years. The backlight goes out after a second. It stays on after turning the monitor off for a while sometimes. The backlight does not stay on now. If I switch inputs, it detects DVI and the backlight flashes on and off. It has come on after playing with the monitor for a while, but couldn't turn it back on this time. When you power on the monitor, the Gateway logo is lit for less than a second before the backlight turns off.

I'm not the only one and this isn't the only Gateway monitor with this problem. http://www.topix.com/forum/tech/TNTK13PFRQURRRJJC/p7

Last edited:
I bought mine new when they first came out, but it died almost a year ago. I would power it on and get a bright orange screen sometimes, then eventually I got nothing. I kept the nice stand it came with and use it with my 20inch viewsonic now.

Guys, I just bought this lightly used from a friend for a hundred dollars. Did I get a good deal? Color and contrast is fairly good, comparable to my other PVA screen but boy is it a little heater! Killowatt meter says it draws 120W and I can feel the heat radiating off the front of the screen.

I have a HP ZR24 on the way so I imagine that will replace this as my main screen unless I don't think the ZR24 is much of an improvement, otherwise I'll send it back and keep this one.

Guys, I just bought this lightly used from a friend for a hundred dollars. Did I get a good deal? Color and contrast is fairly good, comparable to my other PVA screen but boy is it a little heater! Killowatt meter says it draws 120W and I can feel the heat radiating off the front of the screen.

I have a HP ZR24 on the way so I imagine that will replace this as my main screen unless I don't think the ZR24 is much of an improvement, otherwise I'll send it back and keep this one.

Depends. As you can see from a couple posts above, some have gone out. I've had mine since about a month after launch and it's still going strong. Luck of the draw, as with all electronics. If you were lucky enough to get one that has some longevity (and was lightly used), then it was a good deal. If not, then not so much. Only time will tell.

I've never had a complaint with mine, other than the heat. Still works great for gaming and movies/tv. Hell, the picture is still better than the newer gateway 24" sitting next to it, and it's only a couple months old (of course it was a fraction of the cost). If it gives me another year or two I'll be ecstatic. If not, it was still well worth the price.

Not sure if anyone still uses this monitor but mine is pretty much dead. Bought this monitor back in Jan '07 and now after about 3-5 minutes of use the image freaks out then shows static image of distorted colors. Of course this thing dies out after my extended warranty ran out. The best part of this monitor was the stand it came with, anyone still using the stand on a new monitor? I'm guessing any monitor with support for VESA 100x100mm will work with the stand.

I'd like to find one of these stands to try on one of the Korean 27" monitors. Anyone have one of these stands laying around?

Hello,
For years time I have wanted to find this long lost thread to make a long overdue follow up report.

It was here I first started reading reviews on a new 24” Gateway monitor, the FPD2485W.

That was back in late 2006. Back then, a 24” monitor was still considered massive and a good one for under $1000.00 was rare.

So when this 24”, from of all people Gateway, and was introduced for $699.00 the crowd went wild and many a heated debate flew back on forth on monitors pros & cons.

Then the user reviews began to roll in:
• The monitor ran hot!
• The monitor had a horrible buzzing sound!
• The monitor had terrible lag!
• The monitor lasted only a few months!
• Most warrantee replacements were refurbished units still faulty!

Except for the good reviews from the magazine and PC media it did not look good.

I am however not one to go with the flow and was still dementedly interested. A 24” monitor with great features and good reviews for $699.00 was worth a look, and look I did.

When I saw it on the shelf at Best Buy, it looked like a thing of beauty. It was very well build and the expansive black panel seemed to speak to me.
It had…..
• Dual Screen Orientation – Rotates from standard landscape to portrait.
• Picture in Picture
• 1920 x 1200 res
• Touch Sensitive controls
• Video Scaling / 1 to1 / Zoom
• Composite / Component / S Video / VGA / DVI
• 4 x USB Ports
• Adjustable Stand Adjusts Up, Down & Tilts
• Day & Night Mode
• Seven Adjustable Video Pre-Sets

With a 10% discount coupon I took the plunge and bought my FPD2485W mine in early Feb of 2007.

That was almost 8 years as we enter 2015. The original Gateway is long since gone, sold off to Acer.

Me, I am very happy to say my FPD2485W monitor is still up and running like a champ! I thankfully never experienced the overheating, the load buzzing noises, DOA’s or the refurbished, still faulty replacements.

This baby has been a champ and a half either doing business presentations or PC gaming.

Looking back, I think the culprit was improper voltage. The manual specs say the monitor has a dual 50/60 Hz built in power supply (for the international market). Most of the world uses 50 hz while most of North & South America use 60 hz.

It’s my guess some internal power supplies for waht ever reason were not able to either detect or modulate the voltage properly. Running hot, constant buzzing, crapping out early are all signs of improper voltage. That coupled with the usual nest of power cords running on a single power strip could only worsen the situation.

Looking back whatever the reason for the problems were this has been one of the best computer purchases I’ve ever made.

Thank you Gateway.

All the best JMD

Back