Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Well I have had my monitor now for about 6 months.. mine is a JAN07 model and this week the touch menu on the right side has completely quit working, also the lights to the touch menu or the power light does not light up, although the monitor seems to work, but takes a really long time to come back from sleep mode. I tried everything to see if it would fix itself, but it truly appears to be 'broken'.

Well I called Gateway Support, gave them my CC number and got a new one in 2 days with a shipping label to cover return shipping. In less than 24 hours of receiving the new one, I shipped the old one back to them.

Until this problem, I have been very happy with my monitor, and the new one seems to be working great so far...

I was not told I would be charged $98, and sure as hell better not be charged $98 for an in warranty return. So why are you guys being charged $98??? I sure as hell will fight this charge if it appears on my credit card.

I was not told I would be charged $98, and sure as hell better not be charged $98 for an in warranty return. So why are you guys being charged $98??? I sure as hell will fight this charge if it appears on my credit card.

You won't if you return it, they were charged because they tried to scam Gateway and get a second 24" display for only 98 bucks by keeping the "defective" display in addition to the warranty replacement.

You won't if you return it, they were charged because they tried to scam Gateway and get a second 24" display for only 98 bucks by keeping the "defective" display in addition to the warranty replacement.

And they'll eventually be charged the difference between MSRP and the $98 if the display isn't sent back. Trust me, that charge will show up on their CC at some point in the not-so-distant future. One can only hope it will result in an overdraft or other inconvenience for the scammers.

All this arguing is pointless anyway. Gateway wised up and changed how their exchanges worked. It's 500$ now, not 98$. I always knew it was risky of them to only charge 98$ and it looks like they realized this too. ;)

Yo guys since this has DCDi if I played dvd's on the computer would it look better than other 24" ers, or is this scaling only useful for things that u plug in for example a dvd player?

Well for some miscellaneous reason, the upper right hand corner of my monitor melted at the top. I noticed a almost burning plastic smell one day ( more like a warm plastic smell) and I noticed the spot. God knows how that happened since the monitor never seemed extremely hot. I'm definately going to be RMAing this.

My late 2006 model failed at just 2 months....had bad banding....the replacement was a feb. 2007 model, and it has been great, much less banding, but can be quirky when alternating between input sources. IQ is very good especially for text, games have a bit of reverse ghosting but nothing that bothers me. I like it for the multitude of inputs it has. I flip between 2 pc's (one on DVI, one on VGA) and can use the PIP to watch the other display or TV via the HD input....very flexible and this thing is not getting replaced till the end of this year at which point I am getting a 37" to replace my 24" and 19" widescreens.

I picked up the gateway yesterday and am so far loving it! no noise, hardly if any back light bleed, great colors, I'm loving it.

However I do have a problem my x box 360 on VGA wont do 1080p, it's set to 1:1 but when I switch over to 1920x1080 it looks like a zoomed 1280x1024, I have no idea why its doing it, I tested with another x box and exhibited the same problem.

Every other resolution seems fine, and I'm loving pip!

I ended up taking my first gateway back due to a dead pixel and it did the same problem. I contacted gateway and they said it was an Xbox problem and were pretty much useless otherwise.

Any Help?

I posted about a page ago about a problem with a shadowy line that appeared in the upper left hand side of my screen. I have a Best Buy extended warranty, but they said they would have to ship it off for repair so I called Gateway instead. They are sending me a replacement right off the bat, and sending me a pre-paid box in which to return the defective unit. This is really convenient.

However, I have two questions now:

1) Does anyone know if this will now destroy my Best Buy extended warranty, which is tied to the serial number of the defective unit? I hadn't thought about that until now.

2) My one year warranty expires on 11/26/07. However, I will now have a new unit that could very well have problems of its own. Will my warranty be extended for this replacement unit, or am I still tied to the one year warranty of my old unit?

Thanks for any help.

Well, I finally RMA the inverse ghosting monitor. Gateway took awhile before they said they were going to ship me a new monitor. They let me know that I have 15 days to return my "broken" monitor before I get charge with $500. They don't have to worry it's going back as soon as I get the "new" one.

I probably will sell it, so look for it in the Sale/Trade section! Either that or I will sell my LG 24 inch monitor which is now experiencing problems once I get that RMA. :rolleyes: :(

Ya im RMAing mine right now for another one due to a ahh i dont know what to call it... color difference from the right side of the screen to the left and bottom to top (probably from me carrying it downstairs while being hot....twisted the panel or something) among other problems... i have the JAN07 version.. They told me on the phone that they would be sending me a brand new model, so my question is has there been any improvements on the new model dates compared to the JAN07 one.. Ghosting/crushed blacks in particular?

Also gateway is sending me a box to send in my bad monitor and then i guess after they receive it they are gonna ship me a new one... does anyone know how long (after they receive the broken one) it takes to get the replacement? week, 2 weeks?.... 3 weeks..

Thanks a bunch.

Yo guys since this has DCDi if I played dvd's on the computer would it look better than other 24" ers, or is this scaling only useful for things that u plug in for example a dvd player?

I believe its only for analog plug in devices like a dvd player.

It came to my attention from a recent inquiry to support that the forums still indicated that EzTune would not work on these cards. We have since rectified this issue but at the moment have not been able to update our website. This will be fixed shortly.

For now, please just ignore the message on the EzTune download page. The current version of EzTune supports the ATI HD2000 series cards, the NVIDIA 8000 series cards and Windows Vista 32 and 64 bit. In addition, the new version is faster to come up after the initial installation as we are now caching the monitor informaiton in the registry.

In addition, current NVIDIA drivers address the DirectX issues referred to on our website. So make sure you have current drivers but we recommend against using the beta drivers as some issues have been reported.

Darv
Portrait Dispalys Technical Support.
http://www.portrait.com/dtune/gwy/enu/upgrade.html

It came to my attention from a recent inquiry to support that the forums still indicated that EzTune would not work on these cards. We have since rectified this issue but at the moment have not been able to update our website. This will be fixed shortly.

For now, please just ignore the message on the EzTune download page. The current version of EzTune supports the ATI HD2000 series cards, the NVIDIA 8000 series cards and Windows Vista 32 and 64 bit. In addition, the new version is faster to come up after the initial installation as we are now caching the monitor informaiton in the registry.

In addition, current NVIDIA drivers address the DirectX issues referred to on our website. So make sure you have current drivers but we recommend against using the beta drivers as some issues have been reported.

Darv
Portrait Dispalys Technical Support.
http://www.portrait.com/dtune/gwy/enu/upgrade.html

hmm... what is the point of eztune.. nothing you cant do with the CP on the monitor..

hmm... what is the point of eztune.. nothing you cant do with the CP on the monitor..

Its easier to configure the monitor using the software than the controls. Plus you can program profiles. I have 3. Gaming, Day and Night Profiles. Plus the auto pivot feature is helpful.

I got the tracking number for my replacement monitor and it says it weighs 10 more lbs then the packaged (dead monitor) i sent.. all i included in the package was the panel... you think their sending me a stand as well or something?

I got the tracking number for my replacement monitor and it says it weighs 10 more lbs then the packaged (dead monitor) i sent.. all i included in the package was the panel... you think their sending me a stand as well or something?

They will send you a brand new Monitor in the factory box. You should have sent them everything back.

hmm, ya the pre paid box they sent me came with two large fitted foam pieces that only allowed enough room for my panel to sit in between them nothing more... i called them after receiving this and they told me to just put the panel inside the box nothing else... i guess ill have two stands and some extra cables now..

hmm, ya the pre paid box they sent me came with two large fitted foam pieces that only allowed enough room for my panel to sit in between them nothing more... i called them after receiving this and they told me to just put the panel inside the box nothing else... i guess ill have two stands and some extra cables now..

I didn't read that far ahead. Maybe your right, I got a brand new one since I had them send me a replacement first.

It seems I've had a different experience than most users in this thread. So I've had this monitor for a little over a year and I can say I've been pretty impressed with it but probably because its cause I'm a little less picky than most. The only complaint I've had is that the monitor doesn't correctly scale 720p over HDMI->DVI. It'd be really nice if it could do aspect mode like the Dell 2407 that Ferris showed pics of earlier in the thread. Oh, and if it had another DVI or HDMI input then I'd really be loving it.

Anyone here happen to have the PS3 running on component cables and confirm if 720p runs the way it should? (Not filling the whole screen)

Has anyone noticed their colors fading after having the monitor for a while. My newest one, has the brightest colors.

so i got my replacement today (feb/07 model)... i originally sent it in because the color shade is different from right side to left on panel.. this replacement monitor is the same, might be my video card or something.. or maybe these monitors are just like that and its so minor no one but my OCD ass notices.. the backlight bleeding is still on the top right corner only, just like my last one.. seems to be a tad bit less then other one which is nice.. after warming up ghosting is the same... the color seems alot more vibrent on this one, and the blacks are less mashed.. might just be because it only has 2 hours on it.... we shall see...

ps: gateways got very good turnover time... and they pay for 2 day shipping.. they sent out the replacement the day they received the broken one...

Im gonna have to replace this one too.. color banding is horrid

Using DVI or VGA? My original (Oct. 2006) had medium color banding using DVI, but VGA didn't....with my replacement (Feb. 2007) it has equal quality on either input.

im using DVI for pc and vga for xbox... the banding on the xbox (VGA) is worst then the pc... Pretty much everything on the call of duty 4 menu looks like complete poo... looks like rich mahogany...

also ive noticed the ghosting is worst with this panel... i wish i would of kept my old one.... i just wanted a new one for the hell of it..... i have a feeling im gonna be playing the return game for a while..

This monitor is horrible I can't believe you guys bought one, you can see from the bestbuy model that it bands like crazy

my last one had no banding at all... every panels different cumbag...

You know, why is there always someone like you, that has to go into an intelligent discussion, and start name calling. Did your daddy molest you as a child? Or maybe you ARE still a child, even that may not apply, as I know 8 year olds that are smarter and more intelligent than you, based on your post.

Go away n00b, if you can't add something, stay out.

my last one had no banding at all... every panels different cumbag...

.../killyourself and why your doing that make sure you put on a bright wallpaper so when your mom gets the gateway in the will she doesn't have to deal with the bleeding in all four corners, well on the desktop at least. Can't guarantee that when I am pwning her in CSS she won't notice it.

.../killyourself and why your doing that make sure you put on a bright wallpaper so when your mom gets the gateway in the will she doesn't have to deal with the bleeding in all four corners, well on the desktop at least. Can't guarantee that when I am pwning her in CSS she won't notice it.

lol pwn... go play world of warcraft homo...
ps. both gateway models ive used had zero backlight bleeding...

You know, why is there always someone like you, that has to go into an intelligent discussion, and start name calling. Did your daddy molest you as a child? Or maybe you ARE still a child, even that may not apply, as I know 8 year olds that are smarter and more intelligent than you, based on your post.

Go away n00b, if you can't add something, stay out.

^ read that back to yourself...

Back