Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

No buzzing here. The colors are a bit "off" on the Mac side and much better in Windows. I'm sure with some tweaking it will be fine. I fired Q4 and it was awesome with no sign of ghosting using X1900XT. The ONLY problem I may have with this monitor is the size. I'm coming from a 2007WFP. I definitely wanted a bigger monitor but until I set it up in my "area", I didn't realize how huge it would be. I'm still messing with distance and viewing angle using an articulating arm. As you can see, my setup is rather unique:

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

No offense or anything but your setup looks depressing to me, lol , dont know why but it does. Maybe its the chair or the desk , or the combination of both. :confused:

It's gotta be the chair :) I have my PC off to the side in my family room/home theater. The not so depressing part is I can do my computing without isolating from the rest of my family. Maybe you could post a few pics of your setup so I can critique it :) This may give a little perspective:

IMG_0622.jpg

It's gotta be the chair :) I have my PC off to the side in my family room/home theater. The not so depressing part is I can do my computing without isolating from the rest of my family. Maybe you could post a few pics of your setup so I can critique it :) This may give a little perspective:

IMG_0622.jpg

i am a newb around here by all standards, but i give props to the setup. i have often thought of doing the EXACT same thing.

keep on rocking it.
icon14.gif

no weird buzzing sounds coming from mine but instead there is a what i can only think to call "colored ghosting" effect when fast moving images I.E. Games (WoW, Day of the Defeated and so on) are in use. Its enough of an problem that i may take this monitor back. I fired off Gateway a email explaning the issue and they promted me to "contact my software manufacturer for futher assistance" which basicly baffled me. Dont know if anyone else has encountered this weird effect or not.

Try setting the display to 1:1 pixel mapping....the monitor defaults at wide mode.

Second, I have no buzzing or sound problems or heat problems. However, I did notice on another forum that a bad batch of monitors was produced that have excess heat/noise problems.

I bought this monitor from CC back on the 18th, when I received it, it had that loud buzzing noise, so I returned it, and ordered another. The new one works great, and has no buzzing noise.

I'm running Vista x86, there are no great drivers for my 7900 so I'm unsure how gaming will really work until later this month. So far I am happy though.

So Thade, Where did you get that arm for the monitor? Do you have a link for it? Does the gateway have a standard mount on the back? I don't know much about these things.... fill us in.

:)

I cannot seem to get the USB ports to work at all on this monitor. I have connected the provided usb cable from the monitor to an open USB port on the computer. It is my understanding that by doing this it should enable all of the other USB ports to work but they DONT! Please help! Should I be doing something else other than simply connecting the cable? The USB port works on the computer but when I plug the monitor into it, it will not enable the other ports. I am connecting the "B" end into the monitor and the "A - normal" end into the computer. Any suggestions?

I bought this monitor from CC back on the 18th, when I received it, it had that loud buzzing noise, so I returned it, and ordered another. The new one works great, and has no buzzing noise.

I'm running Vista x86, there are no great drivers for my 7900 so I'm unsure how gaming will really work until later this month. So far I am happy though.

So Thade, Where did you get that arm for the monitor? Do you have a link for it? Does the gateway have a standard mount on the back? I don't know much about these things.... fill us in.

:)

The monitor has a standard 100x100 vesa mount. I bought the arm a couple of years ago and for the life of me I can't find a link. I'll dig it up when I get home. It was pricey, about 200.00 but they sent me 2 by accident :)

found it :)

http://www.ergoindemand.com/lcd_mount_articulating.htm

I have a Gateway 21 LCD (2185) and the component input displays very dark. Does this monitor have the same problem?

I really don't have to dig through this thread at the moment.

I have had mine for just over a week. To date it does not make a single noise (since I muted the OSD sounds!). The panel only gets luke warm, and thats after being on all day, computing, surfing, and watching movies and TV. There is not one dead pixel on the panel and I am happy with the color representations after doing some calibrating (low level, as per my skill set). I do, however, have the talked about upper right hand corner backlight bleed that extends at about a 45 degree angle towards the center of the panel and is about 4 inches long. I am debating on a return over the later problem, but all my local best buys are out of them, and I did get them to match CCs online price last week. There is my small report. I have not ran any games or connected anything to any input other than the DVI.

I returned the 22" Gateway FPD2275W and swapped it for this monitor. I've had this monitor for over a week so far and am liking it overall. I can finally watch PIP with VGA and Component which the FPD2275W couldn't handle. The PIP doesn't work with VGA and Component 1, but I just switch my Wii over to Component 2 and it fixed the problem. Kinda a nuisance but still better than no PIP with the FPD2275W.

There was some buzzing with the monitor after the first day but it seems to have gone away. Either that or I've just completely zoned it out. I've done the same with my home security system; it needed a new battery 5 years ago yet I've just ignored its constant beeps. :D

I'm having some really bad bleeding on the top right corner of the monitor. It's not there when I start the monitor but after 15 minutes of use, it completely washes out the dark colors. It stretches out about 5 to 6 inches from the corner. The 22" had horrible bleeding on the top and bottom so this monitor is still a step up. Unfortunately, it's still really distracting in movies and even more noticeable in games. I'm gonna try swapping it for another one and hope for the best.

well guys... time for an update from me.
i am currently on day number 11 with this monitor, and i am afraid i cannot take the mild annoyances any longer. tomorrow the monitor will go back to best buy.

the easy tune software has some MAJOR glitches, the monitor will NOT keep settings, it continuously resets itself. the stretch on 720p has me COMPLETELY confused. and i am just getting more and more annoyed with the slight text blur.

although i have no buzzing, and the viewing angle is AWESOME, the random ghosting and inability to properly set colors has done me in.

good luck to others, as i will either be considering the new 24" viewsonic, 24" westy lcd just announced today OR considering the 37" westy 1080p goodness.

who knows, maybe something else will pop up and steal the show.

oh yeah... one last thing...
gateway's support BLOWS.

Well, I decided to return this monitor and I ordered a Sceptre 22".

#1 The 24" is just too huge for my setup

Even if I could justify the massiveness of this monitor, there's still a few issues that I'm struggling with. I can seem to get good color, Blues are too blue, whites are ... well... too white and so on. I'm no guru when it comes to calibrating. Most of my LCDs have a washed look out of the box and a minor bump of gamma seems to do the trick. That's all I did with my 2007WFP and it was NP. Just don't have the patients to fuss with it all that much. Cost isn't THE most important factor but I do feel a little remorse knowing that a 22" will do the job just fine at half the cost. Minor text blur. This could be the result of my inexperience calibrating but had no such prob with the Dell. Finally, I'm having second thoughts about Gateway's cust service should something go wrong. I had 2 2005FWP and 2 2007WFP as replacements for original purchase of 2005FWP strictly via email. While I'm also giving up that luxury with Sceptre, it's a 300.00 investment... big whoop. The sceptre is one of the few LCD @ Newegg that falls under the standard return policy. Easy come easy go I guess :(

has anyone tried the samsung 215tw before? i wanna know if there's any difference in picture. i know the 21inch gateway and the 215tw use the same panel, but i dunno much about the 24.

looks tempting, but that 1 yr warranty is gonna suck.

sena

Well I fretted about it last night and finally decided to keep the monitor. I had until yesterday to return it due to the holiday shopping courtesy of Best Buy to greatly increase their allowable return time.

I must say there are only two gripes I have about this monitor after all this time. The slight variance in color when moving your head only slightly off center, and the trails left behind objects moving across the screen of certain colors against dark backdrops. The color variance seen when moving your head is so minimal that it's only annoying when viewing a backdrop such as.. well.. the HardOCP forums. The trails left behind moving objects in certain situations is also a rarely noticed issue for me. If you play World of Warcraft you will easily notice the trails on Carrion Grubs in EPL and on Thorium veins pretty much anywhere they are found. But other than that.. honestly I'm not noticing it enough to get bothered.

Once tweaked the color reproduction is quite nice. If you're having trouble getting it to look good go take a look at the settings in my early posts in this thread. For slightly more money the Benq may provide a superior image with neither of the issues I have with this monitor but in the end I decided I didn't want the hassle of swapping out one imperfect monitor for another.

-JWM

I have with this monitor but in the end I decided I didn't want the hassle of swapping out one imperfect monitor for another.

-JWM

Yep, in the end I wish I would have kept the GW 24" but instead I have tried 3 different brands of 22". All with some major hicups of their own.. You said it right there in that quote, they all have their issues, most in fact being the same issues. Oh well, in the end with Dells recent price drop I'll end my quest for the perfect monitor. As long as it's not royally screwed it will be the one I keep. Ships on 1/16.

IMG_0622.jpg

Here it is........

media.php

hey ButterFlyEffect78,

how do pc games run on a 24"? i got an x1900xt and opteron 165. are today's games---nwn2, oblivion, dark messiah, etc---are they smooth at, say, 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF VSYNC-ON? i run nwn2 at 1680x1050 and am getting avg of 30-35fps outdoors, 40-60 indoors. i'm still deciding whether to get this monitor or build a new C2D rig---which i would enjoy more.

thanks

I just picked this up at Best Buy last night using an expired 12% off coupon, came to 589.99 plus tax. So far I am blown away by this beast!

Played some PC games on my X1900XTX and my PS3 using an HDMI to DVI played Tekken 5 and GTHD @ 1080P, haven't had a chance to try Ridge Racer or any other 1080P titles.

I have NO buzzing sound at all, I held my ear to the thing for a while trying to hear something and not a peep. I also have no backlight bleeding that I can see as well as not a single dead pixel.

I am dying to try my 360 tonight on this display using VGA. I should be able to play 1080p over VGA correct? Does 1080p work over component as well using 360?

So far I am VERY impressed with this monitor, and the deal I got. Though it took calling 2 Best Buys before finding a manager that would let it slide.

I ordered one from Circuit City. It has one stuck pixel (red) and it buzzes loud enough to be irritating. Even worse, that buzzing causes strong interference on my headphones. :(

I'm going to try returning it in-store for a replacement. Aside from the buzzing and the stuck pixel, this monitor is awesome.

Oh, and senakun, I don't think there's a PC on earth that can run nwn2 smoothly at those settings. It has a sluggish graphics engine, so you'll have to lose the AA at the very least.

I purchased an FPD2485W through the Gateway store in early December. It had 0 dead/stuck pixels, but the power supply inside the monitor has a pretty irritating buzz. I was thinking I might be able to live with it though.

This week I just received my second FPD2485W from Gateway, and it also has 0 dead/stuck pixels, but still has the buzz. Having 2 buzzing monitors might take getting used to.

These are for work where it's quiet, so for home use it might not be an issue since there would likely be music and other sounds going on. Otherwise these monitors are flawless.. brighter and higher contrast than my old CRT's, perfect 1:1 scaling mode, fully tiltable/pivotable/height-adjustable stand, etc. I won't be trading them in as these still seem like the best 24" ever made.

I just picked this up at Best Buy last night using an expired 12% off coupon, came to 589.99 plus tax. So far I am blown away by this beast!

Played some PC games on my X1900XTX and my PS3 using an HDMI to DVI played Tekken 5 and GTHD @ 1080P, haven't had a chance to try Ridge Racer or any other 1080P titles.

I have NO buzzing sound at all, I held my ear to the thing for a while trying to hear something and not a peep. I also have no backlight bleeding that I can see as well as not a single dead pixel.

I am dying to try my 360 tonight on this display using VGA. I should be able to play 1080p over VGA correct? Does 1080p work over component as well using 360?

So far I am VERY impressed with this monitor, and the deal I got. Though it took calling 2 Best Buys before finding a manager that would let it slide.

You will be impressed! I am playing my Xbox 360 through the VGA input with Monster gold VGA cables. I have the resolution at 1920 x 1080 and Video Scaling set at 1:1 and its looks friggen awesome! It looks the best when you have the picture video set at Game It brings out the best picture and clarity when I have the setting at that. If you were to play Gears Of War or Dead or Alive 4 that fighting game, man does it look sooo good! I'd be too busy admiring how good it looks as oppose to playing the game. Mine has that buzzing sound but everything else is good to were the buzzing sound is not enough to exchange it at the expense of a dead pixel or backlight bleeding. I play video games on it alot with the volume loud so...it's not going to matter.

P.S It's good to hear good comments on this 24" monitor from other people since I have one also and am satisfied with it.

hey ButterFlyEffect78,

how do pc games run on a 24"? i got an x1900xt and opteron 165. are today's games---nwn2, oblivion, dark messiah, etc---are they smooth at, say, 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF VSYNC-ON? i run nwn2 at 1680x1050 and am getting avg of 30-35fps outdoors, 40-60 indoors. i'm still deciding whether to get this monitor or build a new C2D rig---which i would enjoy more.

thanks

Well to be honest with you I don't play any one of those games. I mostly play BF1942, BF2,and Counter Strike Source. At a native resolution BF1942 I can have 6xx / 16AF high quality mote and never drops below 90fps. In BF2 , I have everything at HIGH except for textures, 4xaa/8xaf it runs 80-99fps, and CS course always runs 60-120fps (depends how many people in server). I dont play Oblvion so i couldnt tell you how it would perform but Iam 100% sure it wouldn't run smooth at a native resolution unless you lower your settings down. That game is known as a huge system hogger so one will need a 8800gtx to play at 1920x1200 at eye candy settings.

Also, i see no reason why you should upgrade your cpu, it wouldn't matter much at high resolutions and you'll never notice the differance. C2D will only benefit at 1280x1024 resolution and lower. So dont waste your cash for nothing, if you want you could wait until those 8800gtx's prices drop down and that'll be a smart cost-effective upgrade. Goodluck.

Sweet ! And u thought my setup was depressing? :)

Well , your apartment looks fine I just find your pc setup to be impractical, maybe because its setup in the livingroom so it does look a bit weird. I'm just being honest with you but who am i to comment on your lifestyle. If it makes you happy then thats all it matters. Goodluck.

Well , your apartment looks fine I just find your pc setup to be impractical, maybe because its setup in the livingroom so it does look a bit weird. I'm just being honest with you but who am i to comment on your lifestyle. If it makes you happy then thats all it matters. Goodluck.

We all appreciate your honesty. I was only trying to illustrate the hugeness of this monitor in my setup which is not only quite practical, it's frickin' awesome.... for me. Props to you for posting pics of your rig, even after being so critical of mine. My initial thought was "masturbation station". The only thing missing is the jar of Vaseline.... or is it? :) Good luck to you too mate :)

Question... Does this monitor do 1080P? If so, and I'm new to this, I would like to get the HD DVD for the 360 for it's 1080p output. Now, how do I go about connecting it to the monitor? I won't be using the monitor for the PC. It's only going to be for the 360. Can you guys help out?

:D

Thanks in advance.

how are 720p games working for you.
if you look back a few pages you will see my problem with this monitor, and i finally got so annoyed with the ps3 and 720p on this monitor that i took it back. (there were other issues too)

Question... Does this monitor do 1080P? If so, and I'm new to this, I would like to get the HD DVD for the 360 for it's 1080p output. Now, how do I go about connecting it to the monitor? I won't be using the monitor for the PC. It's only going to be for the 360. Can you guys help out?

:D

Thanks in advance.
Hi deeplove,

Check out this post made earlier in this thread by ZBuffer -- it should answer your questions. 1080p seems to work great over VGA.

There are a lot of people complaining about this monitor. :( I did have to get a replacement from Best Buy with mine because it started to not turn on like it was suppose to, the gateway logo would stay on screen for a while before it would disappear and the computer screen would show up with the DVI detected staying on for a while also. Other than that though I liked the monitor. The new one has buzzing though it is very minor, you can only hear it when you are real close and it seems to only be coming from the control panel side. Anyway, too all those other people hearing buzzing is that the side you hear it and is it audible without being right on top of the monitor?

Also I got the extended BB warranty for an extra 100.00 plus tax which kind of sucks but better safe than sorry, and I suggest anyone that buys this or any other high end LCD get as much warranty as possible.

I have a friend that got the Samsung 22" inch LCD I think it is called the 225T. He is going to bring it over so I can compare color a little better and performance.

My monitor was manufactured in Nov. 2006. The default brightness was 80 and the contrast was 50 with gamma at 0. Overall this was good especially for games but still a little bright so I cut it back some and dropped the rgb colors down in the 80's range. Seems to look real good. The out of box settings though are great for games, as bright fluid colors really make them shine. I played Q4, Unreal Tournament, HL2 Episode 2, and FEAR with no problems and they all looked great. I will say actually since I am coming from a CRT it does take some getting use to especially with fast movement but still everything was great. FEAR does have areas where ceiling lights are blinking and with the LCD set to really bright it kind of flickers but it is suppose to anyway it is just bright flickering. Personally though that kind of adds to the game and makes them areas more realistic. :) I think out of the box this monitor is great for games but you need to tweak it for web, movie and photo use.

Does anyone know if there is a way to have more than one user defined setting? I would love to be able to keep the down graded bright/contrast settings but for games turn back on the defaults?

I've used the Dell 2405, and can say this monitor fairs very well with that. Its control panel makes everyone else's look like crap. It does have its problems though and from what I have seen none of these 24 inch monitors are perfect. Speaking of perfect LCDs if anyone wants a 20' I would suggest the NEC 20WMGX2 that monitor is the perfect LCD at its size par none. it would be nice to have that brightview screen on this monitor but no one is currently doing that on a 24".

Does anyone know if there is a way to have more than one user defined setting? I would love to be able to keep the down graded bright/contrast settings but for games turn back on the defaults?

I've used the Dell 2405, and can say this monitor fairs very well with that. Its control panel makes everyone else's look like crap. It does have its problems though and from what I have seen none of these 24 inch monitors are perfect. Speaking of perfect LCDs if anyone wants a 20' I would suggest the NEC 20WMGX2 that monitor is the perfect LCD at its size par none. it would be nice to have that brightview screen on this monitor but no one is currently doing that on a 24".

You can save Brightness / Contrast / Color Temp pre-sets via the included EZ Tune software. You can name them and call them up later.

Best

JMD

how are 720p games working for you.
if you look back a few pages you will see my problem with this monitor, and i finally got so annoyed with the ps3 and 720p on this monitor that i took it back. (there were other issues too)

They work great and look amazing from what I have played. I honestly don't have an issue with this monitor at all. Been looking for one though as I have 2 weeks to return it.

I just picked up this monitor yesterday. I had tried the Samsung 225bw but didnt just feel satisfied with it and I had tried 2 of them from FS (both had the excessive top and bottom bar backligh bleed). I had a Samsung 193P+ b4 this and didnt have any problems with it but I wanted to get into widescreen. I still have alot to learn with the widescreen monitors and I am still getting used to the settings. I havent noticed the buzz but that could be due that my tower is also on the desk 2 feet to my left and I have 6 case fans(slightly modded so that its not an airplane engine). But I have noticed on a black screen the backlight bleed on the right said stretching from the corners towards the centre about 4-6 inches.(like the one side of an X) Is this a reason to return this monitor?? Btw i have noticed no dead or stuck pixels yet. I bought this one at FS and think they only had this one boxed and another which was a display. They also had this one and the Samsung 225bw side by side and this one obviously for the price looks much better. I am overall satisfied with it so far, but am always weary when spending 800 on anything for the cpu :) Also I am running a X2 4400+ and 7800GT vid, I am using the display adapter scaling setting for the video card with the monitor set at 1:1 and running at a res of 1920x1200.

I'm having issues with the Gateway 2485w supporting the highest resolution properly with the Xbox 360. My experience has been different from some others on this thread, and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions (other than returning the monitor) to fix the problem.

<Using standard 360 HD AV component cable>
1080p + Component 1 = small green screen
1080p + Component 2 = "Frequency out of range" error message most of the time, small screen other times @ 1:1, misaligned images on zoom & wide

1080i + Component 1 or 2 = stable image @ 1:1, but colors are terrible, with horribly crushed blacks, and image is somewhat fuzzy

<Using 360 VGA cable>
1920x1080 + 1:1 = still image looks fine, any motion however causes top and bottom half of screen to get out of sync. Appears as a very noticeable flickering line dividing the screen as top and bottom halves seem to refresh off sync. It shows up on the dashboard, playing video, or in a game.

1920x1080 resolution + zoom = same problem as on 1:1,

1920x1080 + wide = image is stretched vertically but flickering disappears. Very obvious banding, however, that is unacceptable.

Basically, none of the 1080p settings work, and 1080i provides a bad image. (In comparison, 1920x1200 works fine with two laptops and a desktop I've tested with, with no tearing, using DVI and VGA. DVI is distinctly better.)

The best setting I've found is 1360 x 768 over VGA, with the aspect ratio set to "zoom". It leaves a 1/4 inch border around the screen of unused real estate, but provides a crisp image with no flickering or other issues. It's more than acceptable for games on the 360, but it bothers the hell out of me that 1080p doesn't work.

Since I don't have any other 1080p sources, I don't know if the problem is the 360 or the 2485w (or both).

It seems that at least one person (Zbuffer) seems to have gotten 1080p to work over VGA (I assume that was the 1920x1080 setting). Anyone else got it working? Any suggestions on a fix? Thanks.

--------------------------------

For those keeping tally on 2485w problems, the first unit I got had a bad USB hub, and I immediately swapped it at BB for a second unit, which is the one I'm writing about here. I've had no buzzing, it does run hot.

I'm having issues with the Gateway 2485w supporting the highest resolution properly with the Xbox 360. My experience has been different from some others on this thread, and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions (other than returning the monitor) to fix the problem.

<Using standard 360 HD AV component cable>
1080p + Component 1 = small green screen
1080p + Component 2 = "Frequency out of range" error message most of the time, small screen other times @ 1:1, misaligned images on zoom & wide

1080i + Component 1 or 2 = stable image @ 1:1, but colors are terrible, with horribly crushed blacks, and image is somewhat fuzzy

<Using 360 VGA cable>
1920x1080 + 1:1 = still image looks fine, any motion however causes top and bottom half of screen to get out of sync. Appears as a very noticeable flickering line dividing the screen as top and bottom halves seem to refresh off sync. It shows up on the dashboard, playing video, or in a game.

1920x1080 resolution + zoom = same problem as on 1:1,

1920x1080 + wide = image is stretched vertically but flickering disappears. Very obvious banding, however, that is unacceptable.

Basically, none of the 1080p settings work, and 1080i provides a bad image. (In comparison, 1920x1200 works fine with two laptops and a desktop I've tested with, with no tearing, using DVI and VGA. DVI is distinctly better.)

The best setting I've found is 1360 x 768 over VGA, with the aspect ratio set to "zoom". It leaves a 1/4 inch border around the screen of unused real estate, but provides a crisp image with no flickering or other issues. It's more than acceptable for games on the 360, but it bothers the hell out of me that 1080p doesn't work.

Since I don't have any other 1080p sources, I don't know if the problem is the 360 or the 2485w (or both).

It seems that at least one person (Zbuffer) seems to have gotten 1080p to work over VGA (I assume that was the 1920x1080 setting). Anyone else got it working? Any suggestions on a fix? Thanks.

--------------------------------

For those keeping tally on 2485w problems, the first unit I got had a bad USB hub, and I immediately swapped it at BB for a second unit, which is the one I'm writing about here. I've had no buzzing, it does run hot.

I have the same results as you. The only way I got the 1920 x 1080 setting to work on VGA with 1:1 is to turn off your monitor and turn it back on. When the monitor autodetects the VGA input signal, the flickering line in the middle will be gone. From this point on it will be good. However, if you do mess with the Video Scaling and make it set to Zoom or Wide and back to 1:1 it will reappear again. You have to shut off the monitor and turn it back on again to get rid of it.

Thanks JMD FLA for the info.. I never installed the plugins for eztune but once I did that worked great. :)

I was able to place a Samsung 225BW next to my monitor and all I can say is it made the 225BW look pretty bad. My friend said he though his monitor was nice until it was placed next to mine. We compared images between the two and ran DVD video's, also I played FEAR using both monitors and the Gateway won hands down. Everything is just much more vivid on the Gateway. :D

Back