Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Zbuffer said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check for banding and input lags. I will also hook up my PS2, VCR, and DVD players to the monitor via Composite, S-Video, and Component cables.

I don't own any high end hardware/devices so I won't be able to check for HDCP compatibility. But I will at least try. I will also check the compatibility and quality of an HDCP video source. Sorry SteveW928, I wish I had a BenQ on me as well... perhaps after the test I will atempt to test the new BenQ WZ version :)

I have already proceeded with some minor tests, but I will post a full report soon, so please bare with me for a bit. I have lots of other things/problems to take care of too. In addition to that, I think I will perform my test over a few days several times, just to verify what really works and what doesn't.

Please realize that there is no perfect LCD monitor that will meet all your needs. Some of them have features others don't and vice versa. The reason being is to keep a balance in marketing... All makers have connections and agreements with one another, so never expect a monitor to have a feature the other has (I hope this makes sense :confused: ). If all monitors were the same then we would not have this discussion.

Well, thanks again for your suggestions, I will do my best and write up a full report soon as well as keeping you posted on a daily basis. Keep in touch!

hey, could you possibly test these two with hd cable? over component or dvi? set to 1080i on the cable box? that would be great. Also when you do the 360 can you set it to 1080i and 1080p? Take millions of pics!!! :D

Zbuffer said:
Which monitor did you get?
I thought you returned the Gateway, did you?

i just got another gateway. benq was a little to expensive for me and i was tired of looking at my 17" monitor.

Hi all,

I have fully completed my first phase of testing. Part I is mainly about input compatibilities. It seems that many of you are more interested in connecting your consoles to your LDC monitor rather than using it for computer related work.

Here is a quick informal review that I wanted to post for those who are at the verge of whether to buy or return a monitor . Please be advised that you may not experience equal results with your monitor due to manufacturing differences. To be clear, I have a Dell 2407FPW Rev A03 Mfg. Dec 2006; and a Gateway FPD2485W Mfg. Nov. 2006.

Just so you all know. I have taken pictures, after reviewing them... they seem worthless due to their poor quality, thus you won'trecognize a thing anyway.

OK, enough nonsense Zbuffer... give me results, right?

Dell 2407FPW (Rev. A03 Mfg. : Dec. 2006)

Xbox 360 -> Component

• 480p
Image appears very compressed (JPEG like) and can only display at 4:3. No 16:9 widescreen support. The colors are very contrasted and overexposed. This resolution is not worth enabling.

• 720p
The good: Supports HDTV 720p with 1:1 and aspect ratio mapping.
The bad: A horizontal center tear line MAY appear. The top half of the screen has a slower response. Workaround: Turn off your monitor and the back on.
The ugly: Colors are too contrasted and overexposed (darks are too dark and lights are overexposed. Very difficult to achieve accurate colors.

• 1080i
The good: Supports HDTV 1080i with 1:1 and aspect ratio mapping.
The bad: Image appears very interlaced and flickers (shakes or vibrates up and down)
The ugly: No workaround for 1080i problem. Colors are too contrasted and overexposed (darks are too dark and lights are overexposed). Very difficult to achieve accurate colors.

• 1080p
Dell does NOT support 1080p over component (Frequency out of range). Too bad, so sad!

Xbox 360 -> VGA

The good: You can display most of the available resolutions over VGA up to 1360x768 with 1:1 and aspect ratio mapping. Excellent colors, no need for any tweaking.
The bad: A horizontal center tear line WILL appear at 1360x768. The top half of the screen has a slower response. Workaround: Turn off your monitor and then back on. Supports 1080p but no 1:1 and aspect ratio mapping. It will stretch the image to fill the 1980x1200 resolution.
The ugly: If you use 1080p the stretched image will create some horizontal black lines. Workaround: Turn your sharpness down to 30. But you may notice some blurriness if you have sensitive eyes.

Xbox 360 -> VGA to DVI

Did NOT work! I thought to give it a try.

Gateway FPD2485W (Mfg. Nov. 2006)

Xbox 360 -> Component 1

Issues on all modes/resolutions: Colors are acceptable... a bit so desaturated and washed out (like on a regular CTR TV)

480p - Works with 1:1 and Zoom. Useless and not worths trying (unless you use the Wii)
720p - Works with 1:1 and Zoom.
1080i - Works with 1:1 and Zoom. You can see the interlacing lines. Screen flickers a bit.
1080p - Works with 1:1 and Zoom. Screen turns Green. Design flaw.

Xbox 360 -> Component 2

Issues on all modes/resolutions: Colors are acceptable... a bit so desaturated and washed out (like on a regular CTR TV)

480p, 720p, 1080i - Are the same as in Component 1.
1080p - Works with 1:1 and Zoom. Screen will be blurred. If you turn off your monitor, you will loose the signal. Turn the monitor on and off a few times, the signal may come back but will still be blurred.

Xbox 360 -> VGA

Gateway supports all resolutions with 1:1 and Zoom. Colors are excellent. You will, however, get the same center horizontal line at 1360x768 just like on the Dell. Turn off and on your monitor to work around that problem. 1080p looks phenomenal and does not need any adjustments.

Xbox 360 -> VGA to DVI

Does NOT work again!

Here are some of the good and bad highlight about both monitors.

Dell:
• No input lags on any of the inputs.
• Virtually no ghosting in gaming
• No tearing during gameplay
• Colors are excellent
• No flickering
• Minor color banding over DVI, very minor over VGA
• No 1080p support over VGA and Component, I doubt it has HDCP.
• No 1:1 or aspect ratio mapping over 720p resolution
• Poor Component proccessing
• Stand could use a better design and more hight adjustments
• ODS very inconvenient to navigate.
• Leaves a pink and green ghosting/smearing in desktop work
• Color uniformity is excellent
• Moitor gets slightly hot (not the panel)

Gateway:
• No tearing during gameplay
• No input lags in any of the inputs.
• Brwon/Whire ghosting during gameplay
• Colors are decent but need to be calibrated/adjusted a bit
• No flickering
• Some banding over DVI, minor over VGA
• 1080p over VGA, as well with Component with some problems. Has HDCP.
• OSD makes annoying sound but can be turned off. Easy to navigate however.
• Monitor gets really hot (panel)
• Slight backlight bleed at top right corner
• Color uniformity is acceptable and much noticeable

I know many of these things have already been addressed. Please feel free to ask me any questions in case I have forgotten something. I will continue my investigation.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Here's a picture of my gateway w/ 1080p goodness

fnfss4ue1.jpg

beginningsx2.jpg

Zbuffer said:
Poor Component proccessing

I would agree from my brief testing of the Dell 2407. The 2405 didn't seem to have the same issues in this regard... though I wish I had tested them side-by-side (it was just from memory with a day between.)

Also... note that the Dell has like 3 'modes' when running in the components. I didn't have time to re-test, and did most of my testing with it in 'theater' mode, rather than sports or nature. I did seem to think the other modes were a bit better with my PS2.... but didn't have time to retry with other modes.

The Gateway seems to be a bit better on the components from your review.... did I read that correctly?

nice comparison.

well looks like my monitor has one dead pixel. gonna try and see if i can fix it tomorrow.

I grabbed one at Best Buy yesterday.. no buzzing, no banding..no dead pixels... massive screen..very bright and clear... Does not have specific XP drivers but its my first LCD so maybe thats not super uncommon.. I'd rather it did if only to remove the "Default Plug and Play Monitor" in display properties :) Itt runs 1920X1200 at 60hz.. but remember its not the same as a CRT that flickers...60 looks the same as 85hz at 1600X1200 to me

Zbuffer said:
• Some banding over DVI, minor over VGA

Great stuff Zbuffer, keep it up! One quick question. I was playing around with this monitor at Best Buy yesterday and found some obscure menu options: "noise reduction", "auto video enhance", maybe others. These options were grayed out over the VGA connection.

What do these options do? How do they affect the image? affect banding? ghosting? Asking because I remember that the 2407s original banding problem was related to some video processing that was later disabled.

Also, which do you personally feel is better so far just based on PC use?

Ross

If anyone is thinking of buying this I got Gateway to price match circuitcity.com's $624.99 with Free shipping. Avoided taxes that way on circuitcity.com.

Thanks for your inputs all,

I am still testing a few more things on the monitors and coming to a conclusion. Ross I am still in the testing phase about all the OSD funtionalities. I should have a report on the soon.

It seems that the Dell monitor is geared for those who will be playing lots of PC games and doing intense PC work. If you someone who is using any digital art applications and working lots with photography, then the Dell monitor is for you.

The Gateway monitor work well with daily PC use and for someone who does not care about accurate colors and ghosting. This monitor is mostly geared to those who want to use their consoles on a HD LCD monitor either via VGA or Component, both work flawlessly.

Since I an professional in the game industry, I consider keeping the Dell. But due to their false marketing information, I will return the monitor and keep the Gateway. It is not bad, and perhaps I will have some decent results with it after I adjust some of the fancy setting in the OSD. They seem to produce some interesting effects. Since many people are afraid to use or mess with complicated setting... they generally avoid them. This is why Dell targets the general public a lot and and sets up the monitors so the the end user does not have to mess a lot with the OSD.

Talking about ODS.

I will report the official results about PIP/PBP.

DELL:
PIP only works over composite, s-video, and component.
No PIP available if you are using DIV and VGA or vice versa.
The qulity is the same as if you keep it full screen.
PBP is Picture by Picture. Two equal size picture will sit next to each other.
You can adjust the PIP location/positon only over OSD.

GATEWAY:
PIP work will all input. Even if use DVI and VGA together. But not the other way around (VGA main, DVI pip).
You can move you PIP with your mouse to any position you like. Holding your mouse over the PIP will make it transparent and you can drag it anywhere over the screen.
You can also adjust the size and location of the PIP over OSD, as well chaning the picture quality of the PIP screen (like colors, brightness, ect.)
I find Gateways, PIP, most usefully especially that it works with VGA.
Gateway does not support PBP... not that I will ever use it.

TO BE CONTUNUED...

unimatrixzer0 said:
If anyone is thinking of buying this I got Gateway to price match circuitcity.com's $624.99 with Free shipping. Avoided taxes that way on circuitcity.com.
how did you avoid tax? dont they have a circuit city in your state? Im confused

I bought my FPD2485W two days ago based on reading most of this forum. Thank you guys VERY much for all the excellent advice, reviews and evaluations.

To get the basics out of the way, I got mine at a local Best Buy. I got the price matched to $624.97 for about $670 and some change. I am upgrading from a several year old Dell 2001FP LCD that I've been running at 1600x1200 for most of that time that finally started to have lighted colored bands and randomly sticking pixels in two vertical stripes. It got retired to my 2nd machine to handle media duties and general workhorse PC stuff.

The rest of my PC is an e6600, Asus P5N32-E SLI, TWIN2XP2048-6400, eVGA 7800GTX and the Asus sound card.

Brought it home and took about 15 minutes to set it up. The stand is heavy and stable. The tilt swings a bit too readily imo and should offer more resistance out of the box (you can adjust it via a backplate screw but until I did that, it was easy for it to swing wildly unless carried carefully).

Powered up my PC and it recognized the DVI input no problem. Stretched out the previous 1600x1200. Adjusted out to 1920x1200 also without incident and was blown away.

First impression, the screen is bright and crisp. Careful inspection at black background showed a uniform deep color with only the tiniest visualized variance toward the outside edges. Grey background no visible variance. Fired up and watched about 15 minutes of the Big Lebowski. Everything looked fantastic. Two days later and I am still unable to identify a single dead pixel anywhere on the screen.

Fired up HL2 Ep1. Set the new res. Got lost yet again in the game for two hours. I noticed zero blurring, zero sluggish response anywhere at full blast settings at 1920x1600. Loaded EQ1 up (still a long time raider in that game). EQ adjusted to the new res great and performed flawlessly for the evening. Loaded up WoW, same deal.

So after two days of general messing around and gaming. Very happy with it so far. In fact, I'm incredibly happy with the $ to value so far. Let's hope I can get a few good years out of it! The other two monitors I considered was the BenQ and Dell. I saved a bit of money and if this things lasts, it'll be a great decision.

This is obviously only anecdotal so take it for what it's worth. Just my impression so far. Good luck with your purchases!

thefewtheproud said:
how did you avoid tax? dont they have a circuit city in your state? Im confused

I mean I avoided the tax by getting Gateway to price match circuit city's online price of $624.99 and ordering from them instead.

I'm not a gamer but I found this forum while gathering up info on Gateway's 24" LCD. I've got a pair the displays sitting over at my local Best Buy waiting for me to swing by and pick them up. Best Buy matched Curcuit City's price of $624.99 so I am pleased about the pricing. I plan to run both displays off of a X1900XT card in an Apple Mac Pro tower running a pair of Woodcrest 5160 processors (3.0 GHz).

Work flow will be one 24" monitor with Mac OSX running Safari and Firefox (I like grease monkey) for conducting investment research without worry that a virus will harest sensitive data and gaining access or in some way the ability to fiddle with my portfolios and a second 24" monitor will have Windows XP running on Parallels with my level II streaming quote software (it takes up a lot of screen space to get everything set up).

From the comments on this forum it sounds like I should be concerned about buzzing and heat. I'll share my experience after I've set up my new workstation and run it in for a few weeks.

Ok what the hell, I bought the monitor and it buzzes/ makes noises like crazy. It gets louder as it warms up and changes in pitch. My computer is fairly loud with high rpm fans and I can still hear the monitor over the fans! I went and checked out the demo (i bought it from work at discount) and yes it is just as loud if not louder!
This isnt a slight noise I can hear it when I walk into the room and will give me a headache within an hour of use. It is so bad I am using my laptop right now until I can figure out what to do with it.
This kind of upsets me becuase this monitor is awesome other than that. I didnt notice the flickering that other users were reporting or its so slight its a non issue. FPS games seemed just fine to me! And switching from light dark pages was fine. Also that one webpages doesnt make my monitor flicker at all.

I do not know if its worth exchanging it(how many times could I swap this thing out before I find a good one. We dont exactly have a lot of them in stock...) or just returning it and waiting for something better to pop up. A lot of users are reporting the noise, mine does it and so does the demo so I am concludeing that more than likely ALL of them do it. The people who cannot hear it either have poor hearing, think its just their computer making the noise, or are just extreamly lucky and not have the issue.

I really hope I am wrong though. I wish I could just swap the monitor out and it would be perfect but the replacement would do the same thing or be worse with dead/lit pixels.
Could all you guys that have the monitor and it makes no noise could you please turn off your music and other sources of noise and have somebody else see if they can hear it? I want to still have hope dammit! hahah

There's zippo noise coming from mine. My tower is quite a ways away too and well sealed/insulated. Even leaning into the display and turning it off and on I can only hear that goofy start up sound they have on it. Sorry to read your's is giving you trouble. =/

the buzzing is a common issue, and I had the "flicker problem w/ my 1st", 2nd one just died," 3rd one had the buzzine, and debating on getting a 4th one...

Well, I just returned my Gateway FPD2485W to CC. I made sure that all of my drivers were updated to my ATI video card. The first problem that I had was the color calibration. I used two different programs including Avia. The colors on this monitor are just awful when watching TV and DVD'S. My second problem with this monitor, it would go out of sync at times when I would minimize or maximize My TV in Media Center. I would wind up with a line in the middle of the monitor and I would then have to turn the monitor off and then back on to get the monitor back in sync. I also had flicker. I am using a hp pavilion f1703 LCD monitor at the moment and the color on the hp is by far more superior than that of the Gateway. I would like to get some input on what other people with Media Center setups have had with this monitor and others. I am now considering waiting and purchasing a monitor or HDTV with HDMI 1.3. There will be over a billion colors when HDMI 1.3 comes out next year and I am sure that more LCD monitors will have the HDMI connection by then. :(

diableri said:
There's zippo noise coming from mine. My tower is quite a ways away too and well sealed/insulated. Even leaning into the display and turning it off and on I can only hear that goofy start up sound they have on it. Sorry to read your's is giving you trouble. =/
Would you mind having a friend listen to it?
Wow that is crazy if that is true. I really dont want to go threw the entire stores stock to get a good one. Gateway as always shows how shitty their build quality is on their products. We get a lot of gateways/emachines that are just dead out of the box. One time when setting up a demo like 3 emachines in a row were dead out of the box! hahah

Originally Posted by diableri
There's zippo noise coming from mine.

Same here! Only the sound of silence!
My hearing is quite flawless as well :)

I was very leary about all the buzzing posts as well...but truly this monitor doesn't make a sound!

hi everybody... this is my first post here. :)

i would like to shed some some more light for other lurkers out there.

let me start off by telling you where i started b4 ending up on the gateway.
i purchased a sceptre 22" gamer (with hdmi, dvi and vga) but returned it for two reasons.
1. horrible viewing angles. at straight on, i could hardly see the corners
&
2. it stretched the 16:9 content from my ps3 as there was no 1:1 mapping, and i found this to be unbearable.

this lead me to the gateway 24 incher. let me start off with my thoughts on it as a monitor before i jump off into the console gamer's opinion.

i do not pc game at all. sorry, only consoles.

as far as a monitor, i really like this dude. AWESOME viewing angles, superb options with the stand and i enjoy watching hd content from my dvr thru the component input. i have always had a tv tuner installed on my computer, but i find this to be a more favorable alternative as i don't use my computer to record programs (i use my dvr) and i can save computer resources, all while watching widescreen content in the corner.
and a few pics:
IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

now, for what some of you might be interested in... PS3 COMPATIBILITY.
let me tell you first i am using my ps3 over a hdmi to dvi cable. i have also hooked the ps3 over components, but as expected, found the image via hdmi to be far superior.
1080p, on this thing ROCKS! as you can see in the pic, the image is clean, crisp and is that ever so illusive 16:9 ratio.
IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

one CAN NOT achieve 1080p over component. although it shows up, it maintains the same 4:3 ratio with a green cast many of the 360 guys have found.

now, for the problem...
unfortunately not all game makers are supporting 1080p, and are opting for 720p. so, lets fire up the ps3 and force 720p to see what happens.
IMG_4306.jpg

now, pay attention... anyone seeing a problem yet?
lets continue...
IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4304.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

anyone figure it out yet? here, one more...
IMG_4301.jpg

well, if you haven't got it by now, you probably wont.

this damn thing will NOT keep aspect ratio in 720p format, but heres the kicker... IT ONLY HAPPENS WITH THE PS3 VIA HDMI TO DVI. i hooked up my scientific atlanta dvr put it on espn hd (720p) and guess what happens... yep, it keeps aspect ratio.
i CANNOT figure out why the cable box via the same hdmi to dvi cable will work, but the ps3 wont.

naturally i contacted gateway, and spoke with the dumbest person i have ever came in contact with. they told me to 'reinstall the drivers.' think about that for 5 min and try not to let your head explode.
yes, i did it... reinstalled the drivers, but no go.

all in all, good monitor, but this stretching issue is a REALLY BIG thing, to me. at least blu-ray discs are all 1080p, so i don't have to deal with stretching of real pics, and i find it to be less noticeable over games, but i still hate it.

anywho... i just wanted to share some more findings.
later.

Well, I finally decided to get this monitor (Got it at Circuit City for $611), and it'll be at my house before the end of next week. I seriously can't wait :D :D :D

Awesome post biff. crazy that the 720p output is all wacky! Is your monitor silent too? Dammit I just want to transfer like ten of these monitors into work and just swap them out until i can get one that is perfect. I took a look to see what I could get the Benq and the samsung for and it costs a LOT more haha.

I'm going to pick up #4 tommorrrow...

I really like this monitor, but I've had 3 duds so far...hopefully i get a "cherry" one tommorrow @ BB (and they better price match CC =P)

very nice SS of the PS3

medisyn said:
Awesome post biff. crazy that the 720p output is all wacky! Is your monitor silent too? Dammit I just want to transfer like ten of these monitors into work and just swap them out until i can get one that is perfect. I took a look to see what I could get the Benq and the samsung for and it costs a LOT more haha.
mine is basically silent.
what does that mean?
sitting in my chair i cannot hear anything, but b/c of all these posts i really examined the monitor. if i literally put my ear on the top of the monitor i can hear an extremely faint buzz. so, yeah i guess it is there, but i cant hear it unless i am pressing my ear against it.

Ok, add another one to the no noise and no dead pixals.

I just returned my 22" Gateway and no contest, the 24" smokes it hands down. The only thing I'm not to sure about is the 24" stand. I'm use to the stationairy stand of the lower end models which in turn is much more ridged and solid. The 24" diffently has some shake to it.

Also I was wondering about the tighting screw. Should it be tighten just enough to be able to move the monitor up and down and to stay where you set it? Or shpuld it be set where you want it the tightened hard to stay where you want it? I'm thinking loose enought o be moved but tight enough to hold it in spot?

This is my first post...

First, thanks bif for all the pics, very compelling.

this damn thing will NOT keep aspect ratio in 720p format, but heres the kicker... IT ONLY HAPPENS WITH THE PS3 VIA HDMI TO DVI. i hooked up my scientific atlanta dvr put it on espn hd (720p) and guess what happens... yep, it keeps aspect ratio.
i CANNOT figure out why the cable box via the same hdmi to dvi cable will work, but the ps3 wont.

That's weird. I'm looking to get this monitor for my comp and ps3. Could it be decryption of 720p HDCP in the monitor? I know someone posted in this haystack somewhere about the ps3, I'll search for it. Make sure to post if you get it to work!

My only issue is with the PS3: When I play any 720P games - the system/monitor stays in 720P mode for any of the 1080P games.

I found a way to work around this problem by going into settings / Display / HDMI / Custom and then selecting 1080i and test monitor, then 1080P and test monitor will switch it back to 1080P mode correctly (until I play another 720P game) or pressing power for 5 seconds from cold boot and re-configuring the HDMI mode.

Not sure if this is an issue with the monitor or PS3?

So, it seems to work... Did you make sure the PS3 was still displaying in 720p when you switched the monitor? :confused:

Ok, really haven't had time to play with this this monitor but with setting the 360 to 1920x1080 1:1 in vga I get major center tearing and the black bars obveously. When I set the monitor to Wide it really gets funky and produces lines going left to right on the screen.

I exhibited neither of those with the 22" gateway. What am I missing?

Just bought this at best buy the other day ($625 (pricematched with circuitcity) - $325 of BB giftcards = nice 24" moniotr for $300 :p)

Anyway, had a little trouble with setup as the DVI cable that came with the monitor didn't work, but my previous one worked fine, ran the EZ tunes, and so far so good. No dead pixels, no buzzing at all from the monitor, basically none of the negatives i've read in this thread. HAven't played any games yet, so that will be the test...but I'm only using a x850 right now (waiting till end of the month and either getting a 8800GTX or whatever ATI's is if they announce before then).

Well I can run at 1366x768(?) in wide mode and get no tearing. Looks ok but I would like to get what advertised, 1080. Hell, the 22" was running at 1920x1080 no problem. Maybe it's because it was upscaling where here witht the bigger monitor it has to downscale?

But playing both Kameo and GOW I get it bad at 1080 in vga. Here's a pic.
This may deffently play a factor in me keeping this. What a shame.

img0558zr7.jpg

Picked the gateway up yesterday, im getting black ghosting lines on the edges of things while playing WoW, Gears etc.

Its not bad but its there, also...in the menu it says 59hz and not 60hz while under dvi and vga modes, have the desktop set to native same with WoW.

I dont know if the 59hz is an issue or not but ive noticed eye strain since i bought it.

Also options like the noise reduction and aa sharpness are all greyed out and i cant fiddle with them at all through dvi or vga, are these for only component?

btw. running ati x1900xtx.

I was just reading testimonials about the FPD2185 and it seems it's rather unreliable. Has anyone here purchased a 'good' FPD2485W and have it fail?

Ok, I figured out what caused the tearing for me with the 360 at 1920x1080. For whatever reason when you put the monitor in to Wide mode, boot the 360(where you get the strange black lines) and then try to put it to 1:1 or Zoom you get the tearing. If I boot up the 360 in zoom or 1:1, I don't get the tearing. If I select wide again while on the 360 then go back to 1:1 it tears again.

Sadly..

I just boxed mine up, the eye strain(flicker, ghosting etc.)has gotten the better of my eyes on this panel.
Ive never run into a monitor that gave my eyes so much pain, its quite sad really cause the monitor itself has no buzzing or dead pixels.

Im going to pick up the 2407 at costco and see how i like it and if not ill save a lil more and buy the westinghouse 37.

GL to you guys, this monitor is a beast but..i cant recomend it from my experience with it.

Kel-O-Tron said:
Well, I finally decided to get this monitor (Got it at Circuit City for $611), and it'll be at my house before the end of next week. I seriously can't wait :D :D :D
How did you get it for $611?

LittleHorus said:
So, it seems to work... Did you make sure the PS3 was still displaying in 720p when you switched the monitor? :confused:
yeah... i purposely forced 720p to let you guys see that on all different modes it will NOT work. :(
also, once the ps3 is put into 720p, it will not go back to 1080i/p with out a re-boot as mentioned earlier. i imagine this will be a firmware update for the ps3.

one last thing to keep in mind.
the gateway can be upgraded (from what i understand) via the easy tune software with upgrades from gateway. now, how long, or what improvements we see are VERY questionable.

something else that is driving me nuts.
i run the easy tune software, get the monitor setup the way i like, but when i reboot i have to manually redo a couple of the settings... hmmm... ANNOYING!

anybody else experiencing the problem with 720p from the ps3?

Tyr-Sog said:
Ok, I figured out what caused the tearing for me with the 360 at 1920x1080. For whatever reason when you put the monitor in to Wide mode, boot the 360(where you get the strange black lines) and then try to put it to 1:1 or Zoom you get the tearing. If I boot up the 360 in zoom or 1:1, I don't get the tearing. If I select wide again while on the 360 then go back to 1:1 it tears again.

Does this only happen in VGA mode? Did you also try this with Component?

Back