Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Well, I went out 2 days ago and bought this monitor based on all the positive feedback, I Cloned it beside my Dell 2407 and it absolutely blew it away XD ~ Bright Picture , Colorful, no pixels or ghosting so i took the 2407 back.... Buuuuuuuuuuuut.

Disaster -_-

I noticed any time I play a game (Warcraft being the worst offender) any time there is movement/panning the camera, the screen starts misadjusting light/dark. if there is no movement and just a static picture the picture remains crisp...

The closest thing I could compare this to is an old style TV with the Optical sensor in the front where if you covered it up the screen would get brighter and uncovering it would make the picture darker.

So far i tested this on WoW and HalfLife2/CS, with majorly adjusted settings and monitor brightness. I cloned 2 other monitors in my other DVI port and i couldnt replicate the errors so I can only assume its not graphical, Its just the monitor.

Any Ideas? I got another 2485 coming overnight from bestbuy so I hope I can test 2 of them side by side tonight!

Video card - ati x1900xt pci-e FYI

RyanGrob said:
I know earlier in this thread it was said to be improved, but how improved? If I'm just sitting there surfing the web, will I hear it? I can't understand why Gateway would use the same power supply if so many units had this buzzing noise.

Covering my eyes and turning it on/off, I cant hear anything different. With my ear up againts the top bezel I only hear the thumb brush up againsst the power sensor.

About the buzzing:

I am pretty picky about these things, and I don't find it to be a problem with this monitor. I can notice it if I try, and if you are working behind the screen on some connections, you can definitely notice it. But it isn't a real problem. That being said, my VAIO desktop has isn't all that quiet, so it probably drowns some of it out. All in all, I don't even consider it an issue.

I'll probably pick this up from Best Buy and see how it is. If you guys say it ain't so bad, I trust ya :)

FerretBoi said:
I noticed any time I play a game (Warcraft being the worst offender) any time there is movement/panning the camera, the screen starts misadjusting light/dark. if there is no movement and just a static picture the picture remains crisp...

A quick session of Q3A on "The Longest Yard" showed nothing remotely to this, only that this is the best lcd I've scene with regards to ghosting, or lack there of. I'm sorry about your situation and hope its just that particular monitor.

FerretBoi said:
Well, I went out 2 days ago and bought this monitor based on all the positive feedback, I Cloned it beside my Dell 2407 and it absolutely blew it away XD ~ Bright Picture , Colorful, no pixels or ghosting so i took the 2407 back.... Buuuuuuuuuuuut.

Disaster -_-

The closest thing I could compare this to is an old style TV with the Optical sensor in the front where if you covered it up the screen would get brighter and uncovering it would make the picture darker.

So far i tested this on WoW and HalfLife2/CS, with majorly adjusted settings and monitor brightness. I cloned 2 other monitors in my other DVI port and i couldnt replicate the errors so I can only assume its not graphical, Its just the monitor.

Any Ideas? I got another 2485 coming overnight from bestbuy so I hope I can test 2 of them side by side tonight!

You should try the following:

Change the DVI settings in the ATI Catalyst Control Center. The setting is under the Digital Panel Properties setting. Try checking and un checking the DVI settings "Reduce DVI frequency on High Resolution Displays" and "Alternate DVI operational mode".

Does it also happen when you are not in clone mode?

Have you upgraded to the most current Catalyst version (6.11)?​

FerretBoi said:

Disaster -_-

I haven't noticed anything like this. Either your eyes are extremely sensitive or you got a lemon.

@RyanGrob
I owned an FPD2185W, and the buzzing on that was horrible. That was an actual buzz almost a hum. On the 2485W, it's kind of a higher pitched, quiet buzz that you can't notice over your computer/graphics cards/Xbox 360 PSU fans. With the 2185W, even with my computer and 360 on, I could hear the humming. I had to play music to stop hearing it. With the 2485W, I only hear it when all my devices are shut off and the monitor is shutting down.

FerretBoi said:

Disaster -_-

Have you talked with a gateway tech about this? I think they should know at least and get some feedback

WildSide said:
Have you talked with a gateway tech about this? I think they should know at least and get some feedback
Hahaha You would think they would know something.

I don't think the buzzing is that bad at all. It's more noticeable from the back of the monitor as said. On a side note, the 2275W is whisper quiet. Maybe it has a different power supply since this one pulls alot more wattage.

Does the monitor auto-detect the resolution of the signal, or do you have to set the display settings every time it switches? For example, if I were watching HDTV and flipped from a 720p channel to a 1080i channel...

pNin01 said:
With the 2485W, I only hear it when all my devices are shut off and the monitor is shutting down.
Thanks for this info, this is very reassuring.

Another quick question for those with the monitor: how high is the bottom of the screen from the top of the desk if you push the monitor down to its lowest height? I've heard that the BenQ is nearly 6 inches high at the lowest position, which seems awfully high to me. I'd prefer to keep it as low as possible, so just wondering what the Gateway is like.

Let me also add my name to the list of those who are interested in hearing whether anyone is able to get 1080p working with component inputs on a device other than the Xbox 360. :)

Hmmm... My monitor's buzzing seems a lot more audible than you guys are suggesting it is for you. Sitting approx 2-3 feet away, I can hear it during quiet scenes on a DVD, and I can certainly hear it during normal use when I don't have anything else playing at all. Perhaps I did get bad one?

Not at my monitor right now but at it's lowest position it's at least the thickness of 4 DVD cases. I pushed it all the way down last night and ran into the top of the DVDs which were right under it.

Also, I'm wondering if it is in fact possible for 1080p to be transmitted over component or is that something only to be done through HDMI or DVI?

1080pee said:
Not at my monitor right now but at it's lowest position it's at least the thickness of 4 DVD cases. I pushed it all the way down last night and ran into the top of the DVDs which were right under it.
Hehe, well if it's about 4 DVD cases then I can live with that. A quick DVD-case test of my current Dell 1905fp shows that it's higher than 4 DVD cases at its lowest position, so it wouldn't be a drastic change. Thanks for the quick response!

Tim-in-CA said:
You should try the following:

Change the DVI settings in the ATI Catalyst Control Center. The setting is under the Digital Panel Properties setting. Try checking and un checking the DVI settings "Reduce DVI frequency on High Resolution Displays" and "Alternate DVI operational mode".

Does it also happen when you are not in clone mode?

Have you upgraded to the most current Catalyst version (6.11)?​

Yea I adjusted both those setting and No Go...

I also noticed that if i minimize from a black webpage (i.e This forum) to a White BG Webpage like google the overall brightness will change too and the top of the monitor will flicker quickly.

I'm guessing I just got a Bunk monitor but until I get another one I'm just throwing out ideas on what it could be. :confused:

The Xbox 360 had an update today to fix some issues with 1080p over VGA. I'm looking forward to checking out any differences after I get home.

hmm, I left mine on all night...and I didn't notice any "buzzing"

but then again the heater was on in the house...but even when I watching a movie, playing some CSS I didn't notice any kind of "noise" from the monitor

pNin01 said:
The Xbox 360 had an update today to fix some issues with 1080p over VGA. I'm looking forward to checking out any differences after I get home.

Did you mean 1080p over VGA or 1080p over component? I didn't know there were any problems with VGA...

Edman22 said:
Did you mean 1080p over VGA or 1080p over component? I didn't know there were any problems with VGA...
No, I meant VGA. But there could be some undisclosed general improvements in the video output at 1080p. There's hope, right? Or maybe there could just be a better image quality over VGA or maybe 1080p will no longer scale appropriately over VGA with this monitor?

I`m looking forward for this monitor to be being released in the UK but still unknown when that will be (does anyone know?). But from everything I`ve read seems to be ideal for my PC/360 setup and not having 1080p over component isnt too bad when you can use VGA. The only issue that would stop me from buying it is the problem of the washing out of colors and sharpness when using the 360 VGA that some monitors suffer from.

ben805 said:
a totally noob question...if I want to watch high definition quality movie from my pc without selling my kidney for blu-ray player, do I need to buy a upconversion dvd player to play regular dvd? or is this monitor going to automatically upconvert it to 1080i or 1080p? what if I hook up my 2yr old progressive scan dvd to it...will I only get 480?

Hello... if you are running if with VGA or DVI from your computer, then the computer should be doing the scaling. You are just driving the LCD with the computer (hopefully at its native resolution).

HD-DVD, like Blu-ray is a totally different animal, as it will output lower rez if it doesn't detect HDCP copy protection ability of the monitor. I'm not yet sure how computers are going to handle that. I'm guessing it might be on an app by app basis? Good question.

With devices like DVD players... it just really depends. I guess some DVD players do upscale to HD resolutions internally. I suppose the LCD can also do this. Which is better is hard to say. I've heard that generally when an actual computer does the upscaling, it is hard to beat. It would depend at that point on the program playing the video, and video card features, etc.... but gives a lot of flexibility that some built in chip might not.

BUT.... remember that any standard DVD is really only 480 or less anyway. All these various tricks for upscaling and getting rid of interlacing, etc. don't really add anything to an original low-def program. However, if the right tricks are employed, it can make it look better than if poor tricks are employed.

The big thing to keep in mind about LCDs, is that they really only look best at their native rez. This is why hitting the target rez (in this case 1920x1200) is most important. Running it from a computer at 1920x1200, and then letting the computer scale will probably yield the best results. Also, this is why so many people buying LCD TVs are having such pains when using with computers. The manufacturers feed the HDMI ports right into the scalers, so it is nearly impossible to drive them at their native resolutions. But, most have pretty good internal scalers to handle stuff like DVD players, etc.... you just can't get the totally crisp image like you can with a LCD display with the computer (well, other than VGA, which isn't horrible.)

Hope that helps.

-Steve

I traded in my 2 NEC Multisync 90GX2 monitors for one of these today. I can't seem to find a set of drivers for this beast. It's seen as a "Plug and Play Monitor" with a refresh rate of 60. I'd rather be running this at a refresh rate of 72 or 75. I can't really complain about the Gateway but if there isn't a set of drivers for it, I may return it for the NEC's. Actually, the NEC's would be "open box", so I may get them at a lower price than I originally paid. :) Anyway, does anyone know of drivers for this beast?

ODNT said:
I traded in my 2 NEC Multisync 90GX2 monitors for one of these today. I can't seem to find a set of drivers for this beast. It's seen as a "Plug and Play Monitor" with a refresh rate of 60. I'd rather be running this at a refresh rate of 72 or 75. I can't really complain about the Gateway but if there isn't a set of drivers for it, I may return it for the NEC's. Actually, the NEC's would be "open box", so I may get them at a lower price than I originally paid. :) Anyway, does anyone know of drivers for this beast?
Drivers for a monitor? Well, there are none for this one. Only choice is to use EzTune.

ODNT said:
It's an LCD... the pixels are either on or off until they're told to change color. The more important factor is response time; wanting to run it at a higher refresh rate makes no sense.

From what I've seen and read of this monitor, I really like it except for two things: 1) No HDMI port, as I stated in an earlier post there are a number of new graphics cards that will be releaed in the next month or two that all have HDMI; and 2) The variable buzzing sound reported by a couple of its owners.

The main thing I like about it is that I can pick one up at my local Best Buy Store that's 10 minutes away from my house and if it doesn't work to my expectations, take the sucker back for an immediate replacment or get my money back. Monitors are the only computer component that I really despise mail ordering.

Agreed, the buzzing would be annoying, but don't DVI and HDMI carry the same video? I guess if you don't want to buy a DVI to HDMI converter it's convenient..

If you're not getting this monitor to play your Xbox 360 at 1080p, then maybe you should look at something else if the light buzz will annoy you. [deleted comment about banding, sorry]

Ultimately this is supposed to be a high end multimedia monitor so why only have 1 DVI connection? Especially when VGA /S Vid etc will be slowly being dropped. HDMI will be more usefull in the future and as a universal conection instead on concentrating on the past and present connectivity options. Manufacturers could at least offer optional connections for an additional charge and I bet many would go for it.

sorry, guys, but running it at a higher rate lessens the strain on my eyes. my eyes aren't as good as they were 40 years ago. i didn't mean to sound like a fool.

ODNT said:
sorry, guys, but running it at a higher rate lessens the strain on my eyes. my eyes aren't as good as they were 40 years ago. i didn't mean to sound like a fool.
LCDs don't have refresh rates, just response times. You don't have to worry about it.

ODNT said:
That's understandable; I haven't heard of any methods to lessen strain on the eyes from an LCD though, perhaps a polarizing filter of some sort?

pNin01 said:
If you're not getting this monitor to play your Xbox 360 at 1080p, then maybe you should look at something else if the light buzz will annoy you. There also seems to be horizontal banding.

Theres horizontal banding now??

Edman22 said:
Theres horizontal banding now??
There seems to be on gradients. Could someone post calibration pictures so I can verify it? Wait a second, I'm not sure what banding is. Is it random lines appearing? If that's what it is, then that certainly isn't happening and I apologize. I just don't know what banding is. What I meant is that on color gradients, you can see steps in the color at high brightness.

Has Gateway ever offer firmware updates for their monitors. Just asking cause if it turns out that 1080p problems on components is monitor fault instead of xbox 360, maybe it can be fix with firmware update. I was hoping that this monitor have better luck with components then Gateway 21 had. Maybe I will wait for Sceptre 24 coming out in January.

deekayex said:
What is Best Buy's return/exchange policy for dead/stuck pixels?

If its defective in anyway they will take it back, Shipping is refunded also if you buy online.

I got a PS3, and have it hooked up through component (PC is on the DVI). When I set it to 1080p, the screen goes green. Otherwise, it looks fantastic, with no ghosting.

Back