Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Is it just me or the bottom bezel seem bigger than the top and side bezel? Can you take a bigger picture to show the bezel and give me a measurement of top and bottom bezel? Thanks.

shahidhaque said:
Alright, so I bought the Gateway FPD2485W and my fiancee has not left me yet. So far so good. I have my PC attached through DVI and its fantastic. I've used the EZTune program to calibrate the settings, and I think the colors are just outstanding.

I've got my Xbox360 on the VGA input, and it is set to 1920x1080. It looks great, but my test is imperfect because the colors don't seem right. pNin01, how did you calibrate the settings to look right? What settings did you use (I would like to just dupe yours)?

Unrelated question: I also plan to attach a PS3 and/or Wii. How do you guys deal with the multiple audio sources? (Do your sound cards have more than one line-in?)

The 24W speaker bar option has 2 audio inputs (one PC style one L/R RCA type). This would help your situation. Also, some sound cards have a line in so you can also get an additional audio input this way as well ... but it will require you to keep your PC on.

shahidhaque said:
I've got my Xbox360 on the VGA input, and it is set to 1920x1080. It looks great, but my test is imperfect because the colors don't seem right. pNin01, how did you calibrate the settings to look right? What settings did you use (I would like to just dupe yours)?

I just did a reset in the monitor's OSD and used EZTune to do the calibration. I may not have a good eye for matching the color of that box so that it blends in on each step because the result was not very good. Using the following calibration website for comparison the first two boxes looked pretty much the same (both the same maximum intensity white):

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/calibrating.htm

I reverted to my previous settings I posted on page 3 of this thread (with one small tweak):

I made the following settings in the monitor's menu:

red color intensity: 83 (defaults to 100)
green color intensity: 80 (defaults to 100)
blue color intensity: 85 (defaults to 100)
brightness: 65 (defaults to 80)
contrast: 55 (defaults to 50)

I made the following settings in the ATI CATALYST® Control Center:

Gamma: 1.20
Brightness: 20
Contrast: 80 (in my original post this was 60)

After these changes the calibration images on that website look pretty good.

-JWM

Man....this LCD looks like a winner!! For those who just bought this bad boy....can you please test for both top and bottom bleeding? I hope it's not as bad as the smaller brother 22" that I've seen.

Mysticode said:
A back light bleeding investigation would be appreciated.

Also, please check for banding!
What's the best way to test for backlight bleeding? Lights on/off? Camera flash on/off?

How to check for banding? What is it?

I got my best pic of the backlight bleed on the 22" with the lights on, no flash, black desktop.

IMG_1433.jpg

Just to stress this image is NOT of the OPs monitor. It is the 22" version I tried last week from Best Buy.

Very interested in this as well

Can someone comment on the video noise when watching DVDs/videos/movies? Turn off all noise reduction things, such as functions your video card might be performing to reduce noise. Most monitors of this size have complaints about noise or "twinkling" when watching movies - does this monitor have it?

pNin01 said:
Sorry about not getting the pictures up yet. I didn't realize that Vista doesn't recognize my card readers on my laptop. So I'll have to hook up my desktop and get them off there.

When I said mapped, I meant the video is displayed pixel by pixel. 1:1 mapping of 720p would be displaying exactly 1280x720 pixels centered on the screen, whereas 1:1 scaling of 720p would be a 16:9 image enlarged until there are no more black bars on the left and right. Because of this monitor's resolution, though, 1:1 mapping of 1080p is sufficient. There are only black bars on the top and bottom. The image is not distorted at all. I didn't calibrate any colors yet. But when you press menu, I selected the "Game" mode and it increases the brightness. I'm not sure exactly what it changes but it looked nice.

The problem with setting it to "Game Mode" is that it changes all inputs to this mode. On DVI input (my PC) Game Mode looks terrible. I wish it allowed a "Theme" setting to exist independently for each input.

Regarding backlight bleeding, I'll see if I can get a picture of it taken tonight. I think there is some, but not much at all.

Regarding noise: I watched a few clips of ~640x480 resolution xvid encodings, and naturally some had more noise than others. I didn't watch any DVDs yet, but I'll keep you posted.

shahidhaque said:
Regarding backlight bleeding, I'll see if I can get a picture of it taken tonight. I think there is some, but not much at all.

Regarding noise: I watched a few clips of ~640x480 resolution xvid encodings, and naturally some had more noise than others. I didn't watch any DVDs yet, but I'll keep you posted.
I concur with this. I did an initial test last night. I didn't see anything like was pictured in the FPD2275W. I think most of it came from the left and right. There is still some slighty buzzing with this monitor, but it's greatly improved over the FPD2185W.

bigddybn said:
I'm sure this video has been posted before but incase someone missed it

http://media.digitaltrends.com/digitaltrends/gateway_fpd2485w_24in_lcd_monitor.html

A friend of mine also has the same "green screen" issue with the 360 via component on his 37 Westy in 1080p so I'm not sure that there is really anything wrong with the monitor itself.
Only component #1 shows the green screen. Component #2's colors are fine for 1080p, but the image is squished to a 4:3 box with 1:1 on. Turning 1:1 off results in a pretty messed up picture. I'll try doing a power recycle when I get home tonight or something, but it doesn't look like there is much hope. Maybe if the Gateway actually supports 1080p over component #2, then there could be some fix for it in the future that could be delivered via USB? I don't really know. I also don't know how to get an answer from Gateway that I can believe about the 1080p.

From what I have read on other web-sites related to Audio/Visual technology, component cables (an analog signal) can (should?) only carry 720p/1080i signals, and if you want higher resolutions (ie. 1080p) you must use a digital cable (ie. HDMI or DVI). The only differences in DVI and HDMI is not picture quality but that the HDMI carries an audio signal as well as video and is being used to reinforce content protection, therefore, HDMI can carry a higher bandwidth of signal. As far as VGA cable on a 360 supporting 1080p, I am not sure why that works and component doesn't. Honestly, I am not worried that this monitor, or the 22" that I have, doesn't have HDMI unless I hook up a BluRay disk player and because of content protection, only HDMI can be used for 1080p (otherwise it drops down to 480p I believe). I am pretty sure thought that DVI from a BR player to this monitor via DVI should deliver 1080p.

gabrielef said:
From what I have read on other web-sites related to Audio/Visual technology, component cables (an analog signal) can (should?) only carry 720p/1080i signals, and if you want higher resolutions (ie. 1080p) you must use a digital cable (ie. HDMI or DVI). The only differences in DVI and HDMI is not picture quality but that the HDMI carries an audio signal as well as video and is being used to reinforce content protection, therefore, HDMI can carry a higher bandwidth of signal. As far as VGA cable on a 360 supporting 1080p, I am not sure why that works and component doesn't. Honestly, I am not worried that this monitor, or the 22" that I have, doesn't have HDMI unless I hook up a BluRay disk player and because of content protection, only HDMI can be used for 1080p (otherwise it drops down to 480p I believe). I am pretty sure thought that DVI from a BR player to this monitor via DVI should deliver 1080p.
Well, I hope the DVI-D delivers 1080p. I'm positive it can although I can't test it. There are some TVs that can accept 1080p over component. It is possible.

@ gabrielef

So if i understand you correctly i should be able to get a internal blue ray drive and still get 1080p? Would the audio be analog too? i would think so since my speakers are and so is my sound card.

Anyone have issues with banding or backlight bleeding or ghosting on this monitor? I'm seriously considering this over the Westinghouse 37W3 - In college so a 37" 50lb TV isn't that much of an improvement over a 20" 50lb CRT. Plus it is cheaper and more available.

More pictures please.

gabrielef said:
Honestly, I am not worried that this monitor, or the 22" that I have, doesn't have HDMI unless I hook up a BluRay disk player and because of content protection, only HDMI can be used for 1080p (otherwise it drops down to 480p I believe). I am pretty sure thought that DVI from a BR player to this monitor via DVI should deliver 1080p.

I also think that you can buy HDMI->DVI adapters, which would allow you to watch HDMI on the monitor via DVI.

True, DVI and HDMI signals are the same and a converter should do fine. And yes, if you get an internal BR player or HD-DVD player, as long as the monitor has HDCP, why wouldn't it work? Isn't Vista going to have that capability? As for the audio over HDMI, it is digital, but I don't see how you would get it unless you passes through an AV Receiver where it could split the video to the monitor and the audio to your sound system. Might as well have an HTPC. The Gateway 24" might be nice for that in a small space.

Anyone have some sources other than an XBox to try on the components.... like a HD-DVD player or something? It seem that ALL the LCD panels I've looked at have XBox people complaining that the component inputs don't work for 1080p... but I'm wondering if this is an XBox thing.

-Steve

It looks nice, but I think I'll get a Westy 37 and wait for a ~24" monitor with HDMI.

BenQ already has one, soon to be two, 24" monitors with HDMI.

The difference between HDMI and DVI are not as simple as HDMI also includes audio. HDMI has much more bandwidth than DVI. But currently, not all that bandwidth is being used. With HDMI 1.3 you can get things like 1 billion colors (as opposed to 16.7 million) among other better features that you simply can't fit through DVI. HDMI has plenty of room to expand, while DVI has pretty much reached its limit. Not the mention that HDMI has a much neater, smaller, and cooler-looking connector type.

Why wait for a monitor with HDMI? It's almost pointless because you can't use the audio bandwidth when hooked straight into a monitor. Monitors don't have an output for the audio carried through an HDMI cable (only USB or whatever in the Gateway's case). All HDMI is good for is if you need to hear audio along with whatever your watching (ie. DVD player to receiver to speakers and to TV. It's a gimmic really (when included on a monitor), unless you get a DVD player or cable box that has ONLY an HDMI out on it. Then I guess you have no choice...Point is don't fall for the whole HDMI-in-a-monitor ploy. Even in my home system, I separate the audio going through the HDMI to go through the digital coax (or optical). Other wise all sound would be pumped through my TV speakers. Or as some receivers have, HDMI in and out, but that degrades the video signal. Better to go straight from the cable box or dvd player with HDMI/DVI to the TV, and the digital coax/optical to the reciever. Anyways...blah, blah, blah

Oh yeah, forgot that HDMI 1.3 could support higher colors...my bad. But initially HDMI was released to carry both audio/visual signals and to add to the content protection foray. I guess you might want to wait for HDMI in a monitor after all...can I delete my last post? Hahaha!

Alright. I'm charging my digital camera. In about 1 hour, I'll post pictures of whatever you want to see.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any other device that will output 1080p over component. However, my graphics card came with a component output cable. If someone else has one of these and a component cable, could you set your graphics card to 1080p and see what happens?

peTeMelster said:
BenQ already has one, soon to be two, 24" monitors with HDMI.

The difference between HDMI and DVI are not as simple as HDMI also includes audio. HDMI has much more bandwidth than DVI. But currently, not all that bandwidth is being used. With HDMI 1.3 you can get things like 1 billion colors (as opposed to 16.7 million) among other better features that you simply can't fit through DVI. HDMI has plenty of room to expand, while DVI has pretty much reached its limit. Not the mention that HDMI has a much neater, smaller, and cooler-looking connector type.

Well said. I know about the BenQ, but I wanted 1:1 pixel mapping, which the BenQ doesn't do sadly. I will wait for a monitor with a few HDMI inputs, DVI, Component, and 1:1 pixel mapping.

I think a westy 37w3 will keep me occupied until then.

No flash
IMG_2903.jpg

Flash
IMG_2901.jpg

Xbox 360 over VGA
IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

Xbox 360 over Component #1
IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

#1 1080p w/ 1:1 mode
IMG_2918.jpg

Xbox 360 over Component #2
IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

#2 1080p w/ 1:1 mode
IMG_2928.jpg

#2 1080p w/ Wide mode
IMG_2917.jpg

GCK said:
It looks nice, but I think I'll get a Westy 37 and wait for a ~24" monitor with HDMI.

I have came to the same conclusion. These computer display manufacturers keep releasing the same garbage over and over. I wasted a whole summer waiting for that diamond in the ruff. All I want is 2 inputs in all the flavors and I'll pay whatever price they put on it. 1080p on DVI and HDMI w/ DHCP and 1:1 pixel mapping. 1080i on component and I don't even care for VGA ports. Microsoft dug their own hole in this HD era, 1080p over VGA is a joke. But hopefully by the time I adopt the 360 they throw DVI or HDMI ports on it.

gadnium said:
I have came to the same conclusion. These computer display manufacturers keep releasing the same garbage over and over. I wasted a whole summer waiting for that diamond in the ruff. All I want is 2 inputs in all the flavors and I'll pay whatever price they put on it. 1080p on DVI and HDMI w/ DHCP and 1:1 pixel mapping. 1080i on component and I don't even care for VGA ports. Microsoft dug their own hole in this HD era, 1080p over VGA is a joke. But hopefully by the time I adopt the 360 they throw DVI or HDMI ports on it.
Well, hold out for about a month and maybe the BenQ FP241W will do just that. ;)

gabrielef said:
It's a gimmic really (when included on a monitor), unless you get a DVD player or cable box that has ONLY an HDMI out on it. Then I guess you have no choice...

Yea, I suppose that is true... you'd need some way to get the audio off it. But, you could get the video with a simple HDMI->DVI cable.

What I don't like at the moment, is there are all these versions. HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. I've seen almost nothing with 1.3 yet. Imagine how pissed the average person will be when they hook some HD-DVD player a couple years from now to the HDMI TV they have, and are told.... oh, that's a v1.2 HDMI... you're out of luck... just buy another $2000 TV and you'll be all set.

And, I totally agree, it is just a ploy to pull everyone into the protected content stuff... though I'm not sure we're going to have a choice. Looks like if you want high quality stuff, you're going to have to play the game. The downside, is if you don't have HDCP, or a 'version' that doesn't do what some future thing does... you're out of luck too. It really sucks!

gabrielef said:
Or as some receivers have, HDMI in and out, but that degrades the video signal. Better to go straight from the cable box or dvd player with HDMI/DVI to the TV, and the digital coax/optical to the reciever. Anyways...blah, blah, blah

Well, not really. Digital is digital... it doesn't degrade by going through more connections. It either makes it there, or it doesn't. Plus, many receivers that do HDMI only 'pass' or 'switch' the signal... they don't pull the audio off to process it. So, you're right that you are still stuck running off other optical ports, etc.

This whole thing really only makes it 'easy' for the person with a HD-DVD and a HDMI TV, using the built in speakers.... plug to plug... done. For everyone else, it is essentially a nightmare. And yea, don't even get me started on the copy protection aspect. :mad:

-Steve

Diammn....I had my heart set on this 24" Gateway, and it's good to know that the backlit bleeding is not a problem so far. But, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the 37" westy now. This Gateway with the extended warranty from best buy I'll be spending upward $850 after tax, but for about $300 more I could get the 37" westy with extended warranty along with free shipping. I know this sounds kinda stupid but pound for pound...err....I mean inch for inch, the FPD2485 cost $28.29/in, while the westy cost $27/in :p Beside, I probably won't notice that big of a jump to go from present 19" Samsung 930B to 24" Gateway, but if I were to get the 37" westy instead....POW! instant big screen upgrade in mah face LOL hmm...decision decision :D

I've noticed that everyone claiming this monitor can't do 1080p over component used an xbox. It's not unlikely that there could be something incompatible about the xbox and this monitor. Has anyone tried an HD-DVD or bluray player with this yet?

Also I came across this during my research of the Benq 24" LCD. Aside from the lack of an HDMI input how does the gateway compare to it in terms of the manufacturing quality/ panel used/ quality of the image? I know the Benq lacks 1:1 scaling, but I'm hoping this will be fixed soon so theres no need to diregard the Benq for this missing feature.

PS: I know not everyone has an HD-DVD or Bluray player, but I have an idea. If you bought it from Best Buy, just take the monitor down there and ask to hook it up to one of their players. I've done similar things in the past, and if you're a convincing person you will get your way. Just try it :D

FYI...

Gateway's spec page for this LCD is saying 1080p over both DVI and Component:

• Analog (VGA): 15-pin mini d-sub VGA
• Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080p). Includes HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
• Composite video
• S-Video
• Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080p)

http://www.gateway.com/programs/widescreen/24_specs.shtml

So, now I REALLY REALLY want to see a non XBox test! :)

-Steve

Edman22 said:
I've noticed that everyone claiming this monitor can't do 1080p over component used an xbox. It's not unlikely that there could be something incompatible about the xbox and this monitor. Has anyone tried an HD-DVD or bluray player with this yet?

Also I came across this during my research of the Benq 24" LCD. Aside from the lack of an HDMI input how does the gateway compare to it in terms of the manufacturing quality/ panel used/ quality of the image? I know the Benq lacks 1:1 scaling, but I'm hoping this will be fixed soon so theres no need to diregard the Benq for this missing feature.

PS: I know not everyone has an HD-DVD or Bluray player, but I have an idea. If you bought it from Best Buy, just take the monitor down there and ask to hook it up to one of their players. I've done similar things in the past, and if you're a convincing person you will get your way. Just try it :D
Better than that, why don't you simply ask them to connect a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player to this monitor in the store. I bet they will do it if they think they'll get a sale out of it. They may be annoyed but it's fine. Actually, I need to buy a router, I may go down there. But I'm thinking they may not even have these monitors on display. Gateway promised me that the monitor can do 1080p over component. They said the manual specs are subject to revision but what is on the web page is final.

As far as all the talk about HDMI...

Yes, HDMI offers higher color bandwidth than DVI, and it has room to expand, meaning it can support higher resolutions. the second argument is obviously useless because the BenQ and the Gateway won't do higher than their native resolutions.

But, are the FP241W and the FPD2485W and the 2407WFP even capable of displaying more color data than what DVI-D is capable of? If not, then what advantage does HDMI offer to you on these monitors besides not having to screw in your video cable?

A couple of comments/questions:

- Like I said before, there is definitely some backlight bleeding, but not nearly as much as the picture that was posted earlier. I notice some in the corners, but none (or barely any) on the top or bottom. But other than being visually displeasing, is there any real harm?

- I don't think the PS3 supports 1080p over component does it? I might be getting one, and I could test with that if it works, but don't think it will.

- I tested out the composite input, and was pleasantly surprised that it looked quite good. Much better than the composite on my actual HDTV.

Backlight uniformity problem's harm IS that it's not as visually pleasing. You'll have different brightness at various places, so the colors don't look the same, so the colors aren't displayed as accuractely.

The composite might have looked better because your HDTV is bigger. The larger you stretch a picture, the worse it looks.

peTeMelster said:
Backlight uniformity problem's harm IS that it's not as visually pleasing. You'll have different brightness at various places, so the colors don't look the same, so the colors aren't displayed as accuractely.

The composite might have looked better because your HDTV is bigger. The larger you stretch a picture, the worse it looks.
My picture shows that it is in the corner. Personally that's preferable than in the center or along an entire edge.

Back