Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

I am stopping my gateway order right now. From bestbuy I can return it right away if I am not happy. Shipping, tax and 3 yr warrenty make it close to the same price even if you buy the $100 replacement from bb. But I think I am not going to get the extended warranty.

cec1l said:
Wow, I've really been living under a rock playing too much World of Warcraft. I've been reading about the recently added 1080p support for XBox 360 online just now. I'm going to head home for lunch and test it out real quick for you guys.

-JWM
Well, since you didn't know about it that means you've never gone to the settings to change your resolution. There's still hope!

phobic said:
Hmm Best Buy has it in stock a few miles from where I am now, but I have to have the monitor shipped to Germany. Hmm...very tempted to go get it now and mail it to myself.

Fake edit: With Texas tax, this monitor will cost me about $740 before shipping; the JR order only costs $685 with shipping. :( At any rate, I'm looking forward to more reviews.
Yeah, that's what was holding me back, too. For those of us staying in the US, though, it's convenient to buy from BB because we can get fixes and repairs instantly without having to ship to Gateway. But since you'll be in Germany...not sure if they have BB there or not.

Bad news: no 1080p over component.

When I attempted to enable 1080p in the XBox 360 over component input 1 I got a distorted green 480p image. When I attempted the same on component input 2 I got a 480p image that looked pretty much fine. For both component inputs the monitor's OSD had no idea what mode it was in with the 360 set to 1080p. Also the monitor gets upset about the 1080p signal the 360 is sending it and can fail to switch back to 1080i properly when changing the setting on the 360. Switching to 720p and then back to 1080i resolved the problem for me but I had to do it blind.

In fact, the specifications in the printed manual state:

Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480p, 720p, and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i) (two sets of component ports for Component 1 and 2 inputs)

(Isn't that a typo in the manual there?: DVD-D? Haha)

If you look at this link that warriors0584 posted you will see the same information except with 1080i changed to 1080p for both DVI and component. HMMM! Using the search box at www.gateway.com I was able to also find this page which repeats the 1080p claim for both DVI and component. I also found THIS page which has slightly different information and simply states: 'High Definition support for 1080p through DVI-D connection with HDCP'.

Don't give up all hope though, it may still support 1080p over DVI and/or VGA. When I choose 1920x1080 in the display control panel the monitor's OSD reports 1920x1080x60hz. I do not have the VGA cable for the XBox 360: I may pick one up, but no promises. :p

I have a suspicion that Gateway got cold feet at the last minute and yanked the 1080p feature from everything but HDCP over DVI. :(

-JWM

cec1l said:
Bad news: no 1080p over component.

When I attempted to enable 1080p in the XBox 360 over component input 1 I got a distorted green 480p image. When I attempted the same on component input 2 I got a 480p image that looked pretty much fine. For both component inputs the monitor's OSD had no idea what mode it was in with the 360 set to 1080p. Also the monitor gets upset about the 1080p signal the 360 is sending it and can fail to switch back to 1080i properly when changing the setting on the 360. Switching to 720p and then back to 1080i resolved the problem for me but I had to do it blind.

In fact, the specifications in the printed manual state:

Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480p, 720p, and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i) (two sets of component ports for Component 1 and 2 inputs)

(Isn't that a typo in the manual there?: DVD-D? Haha)

If you look at this link that warriors0584 posted you will see the same information except with 1080i changed to 1080p for both DVI and component. HMMM! Using the search box at www.gateway.com I was able to also find this page which repeats the 1080p claim for both DVI and component. I also found THIS page which has slightly different information and simply states: 'High Definition support for 1080p through DVI-D connection with HDCP'.

Don't give up all hope though, it may still support 1080p over DVI and/or VGA. When I choose 1920x1080 in the display control panel the monitor's OSD reports 1920x1080x60hz. I do not have the VGA cable for the XBox 360: I may pick one up, but no promises. :p

I have a suspicion that Gateway got cold feet at the last minute and yanked the 1080p feature from everything but HDCP over DVI. :(

-JWM
GD Gateway. Liars. >_< I'll test out the VGA when I get home tonight. If it doesn't work, I'll be ticked. I may wait for the BenQ firmware update.

pNin01 said:
GD Gateway. Liars. >_< I'll test out the VGA when I get home tonight. If it doesn't work, I'll be ticked. I may wait for the BenQ firmware update.
The VGA should work, shouldn't it? Also, why wouldn't the DVI work? Don't all computers output progressive signals? I don't know, but I always thought that the VGA should work because it needs to be able to accept progressive signals from computers.

dannyallen34 said:
The VGA should work, shouldn't it? Also, why wouldn't the DVI work? Don't all computers output progressive signals? I don't know, but I always thought that the VGA should work because it needs to be able to accept progressive signals from computers.
Well, my concern with the VGA is that it will stretch to fill the screen, not whether it can display 1080p or not. I'm sure the DVI-D should be 1080p. I wish I had a PS3 to test its compatibility, though.

pNin01 said:
Well, my concern with the VGA is that it will stretch to fill the screen, not whether it can display 1080p or not. I'm sure the DVI-D should be 1080p. I wish I had a PS3 to test its compatibility, though.

When I set 1920x1080 in the display control panel with 1:1 set in the monitor's menu I get a nice non-stretched image with black bars on the top and bottom. I'm not sure if I forgot to mention it but I am using DVI to connect to my PC. I can try the VGA connection to my PC tonight but I doubt it will behave differently.

-JWM

No 1080p on component takes alot away from this monitor. I would be pretty sure it is the monitor, but did you guys read how some tv's weren't working with the xbox correctly even though they were supposed to be able to take 1080p on the components. I think most of the complaints were from sony xbr owners.

You would think thought that gateway is pushing the monitor as a high end gaming monitor that someone would have tested it.

Is the X360 HDCP compliant? Cause if its not, then is it far off to think that the HDCP protection is affecting the 1080p image?

BPini said:
No 1080p on component takes alot away from this monitor. I would be pretty sure it is the monitor, but did you guys read how some tv's weren't working with the xbox correctly even though they were supposed to be able to take 1080p on the components. I think most of the complaints were from sony xbr owners.

You would think thought that gateway is pushing the monitor as a high end gaming monitor that someone would have tested it.
Yes, I read that before too, but there was a fix for the dashboard update days later. Did the update fix the 1080p problem?

Ender1183 said:
Hows the input lag? Like this guy here. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1047842&page=1&pp=20

when i get a blue ray or HD-dvd drive will i miss much not using hdmi?

I think i might check it out at Best buy maybe even buy it and return it if i dont like it...something you can do if you buy online :p

I haven't done any testing like that yet as far as the input lag. However my initial impression of gaming on this monitor is: "What input lag?".

I'm pretty sure you'll have to get a DVI to HDMI adapter to view the full quality image from a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player. I definitely think you'll miss quite a bit. Why use HDCP to protect your copyrighted material and then just go ahead and dump the full quality 1080p image out to the analog component output?

Yea that was another reason I liked buying it at the local Best Buy: ease of return in case I didn't like it. So far I'm very pleased with the monitor and I plan on keeping it.

-JWM

Question for those of you in this thread who have the monitor: beyond the component/1080p stuff what do you think of the panel as a whole? As in how is the PQ and do all features work as advertised and would you recommend this monitor for general use..

For those of you who have this monitor, and have tested the 1080p problem, please call Gateway to make sure you aren't missing an option somewhere.

Thanks!

I confirm 1080p is messed up for Xbox 360 over component. When you set it to 1080p, it goes to a 4:3 image.

But...

VGA works at 1080p! Just make sure you turn on 1:1 scaling and BAM, 1080p Xbox gaming. I'm keeping this monitor. :D

I'll post a detailed list of what happens with each Xbox resolution when 1:1 is turned on on both component and VGA.

pNin01 said:
I confirm 1080p is messed up for Xbox 360 over component. When you set it to 1080p, it goes to a 4:3 image.

But...

VGA works at 1080p! Just make sure you turn on 1:1 scaling and BAM, 1080p Xbox gaming. I'm keeping this monitor. :D

I'll post a detailed list of what happens with each Xbox resolution when 1:1 is turned on on both component and VGA.

sweet! :)

pNin01 said:

But...

Awesome! I'm going to pick this monitor up whenever my local BB gets it in stock.

Could you take some pictures of it for us?

I thought VGA quality is subpar to DVI quality though?

Also, can't you setup up component on 1:1 mapping and get your non-4:3 image in 1080p?

What's the negative of 4:3 anyways?

For those who have gotten it (and those are who leaning towards this Gateway monitor), why did or why would you choose it over the BenQ FP241W/Z, besides the price?

Xbox 360 and Gateway FPD2485W.

* means resolution is messed up

COMPONENT w/ 1:1 on
Component always enlarges the image until only two black bars are seen.
480p: black bars on left and right (this is a little strange but the image doesn't seem distorted, but it looks pixelated anyways, no good; the Wii will look bad I think oh well)
720p: black bars on top and bottom (some subtle image flickering, need to adjust the image I think)
1080i: black bars on top and bottom (pristime image)
*1080p: image is squished to a 4:3 image, black bars on left and right
The previous user mentioned something about his screen flickering green. Mine doesn't do that. I remember on the FPD2185W, when I set it to 1080p (and the specs said no 1080p supported over component), the image would be a messed up green. This image is colored correctly but is scaled to 4:3. So, actually, I'm thinking this is an issue with the Xbox. It has had several problems supporting 1080p on certain displays.

VGA w/ 1:1 on
I just got to say right now, you have no idea how beautiful 1080p is over VGA. you must get this cable. It is a step beyond component.
VGA does not always enlarge the image. There can be two or four black bars present.
640x480 (480p): mapped exactly at 640x480 pixels on the screen, remaining area is black
*848x480 (widescreen 480p): mapped at 640x480 pixels so image is distorted; image is green, unusable
1024x768: mapped
*1280x720 (720p): scaled 16:9, black bars only at top and bottom; but image is green
1280x768: mapped
*1280x1024: image is mapped to something, distorted
1360x768: mapped
1920x1080: perfection, one of the best images i've seen

Mysticode said:

Also, can't you setup up component on 1:1 mapping and get your non-4:3 image in 1080p?

Well a 4:3 display on a monitor capable of so much more just looks silly to me, personally. I'm very disappointed in the way the component/1080p thing turned out. I'm wondering if I should even bother plunking down money on this thing and just use my Dell 2005 a little longer (I'm tired of it though!).

peTeMelster said:
For those who have gotten it (and those are who leaning towards this Gateway monitor), why did or why would you choose it over the BenQ FP241W/Z, besides the price?
I chose it because they said there would be 1080p on component and that the VGA would scale all resolutions between 800x600 and 1920x1200. It delivered on the latter.

phobic said:
Well a 4:3 display on a monitor capable of so much more just looks silly to me, personally. I'm very disappointed in the way the component/1080p thing turned out. I'm wondering if I should even bother plunking down money on this thing and just use my Dell 2005 a little longer (I'm tired of it though!).
Well, at least it's doing 1080p on VGA. The Dell 2407wfp won't do that nor 1080p over component. And the BenQ won't do 1:1 on anything.

How does the image look when comparing component to vga? Is the component darker or distorted in any way?

Mysticode said:

VGA is subpar, but there is no DVI option for the 360. Turning on 1:1 pixel mapping and setting the 360 to 1080p results in a squished 4:3 image with black bars on the left and right. Nothing is wrong for 4:3, I guess, but squishing a 16:9 image into 4:3 looks horrible.

BPini said:
How does the image look when comparing component to vga? Is the component darker or distorted in any way?
The component is darker, not distorted. I can post comparison pictures later tonight. 1080i over component looks pretty close to 1080p over VGA in clarity but you can tell the difference in the image/color quality. I'm not a technician about these things, but I can tell there is a difference in the quality of the VGA and component inputs.

Strange...

I tried the Xbox hooked up to the other component port. The image is noticeably darker than the other component port. Also, when you set the image to 1080p, you get that green image that was mentioned before. There is something different about the two ports.

Also, I retract my earlier statements about the 1080p over component. I think I've shown that this monitor can't do 1080p over component. If you leave the Xbox 360 set to 1080p over component, turn it off, and turn it back on, the Gateway won't recognize the video signal. It says "Frequency out of range" or something. I had to navigate to the display settings in the Xbox dashboard by memory to set it to some other resolution. Looks like Gateway lied for real. I sent them an email. I'll be interested to see how they respond.

For clarity's sake, it is Component Input #1 that is having these additional issues with darker image and green coloring with 1080p.

peTeMelster said:

For me:

1.Brick n Mortar availability
2.Price
3.Brick n Mortar availability

Okay, what about other actual reasons for the monitor's quality itself? Is this Gateway monitor better in terms of quality than the BenQ? From what I'm reading, it seems the BenQ beats this by a longshot. And the complaints about the lack of 1:1 for BenQ are supposedly being fixed in Decemeber.

peTeMelster said:
I am leaning towards it because it supports 1:1, 1080p over VGA, 2 Component ports, more USB ports, the rotating screen, better height adjustment, and because I can always get an HDMI -> DVI converter to play HDMI on the screen.

Why do you think the BenQ beats it? The picture quality hasn't truly been compared to the Gateway.

peTeMelster said:
From what I'm reading, it seems the BenQ beats this by a longshot.
What have you been reading that suggests this? I haven't seen any direct comparisons, but from what I can tell, the Gateway does at least everything that the BenQ can, with the exception of the HDMI.

It's a shame that there seems to be issues with the component inputs (yet again), but at least 1080i is working. Seems that no monitor will be perfect. At this point I'm torn between this and the BenQ, but this one seems more attractive due to the better price and availability.

Keep the reviews coming!

Hello pNin01,

Thanks for the posting your results. I am also hoping to get this LCD as well.

I just wanted to confirm though in regards to your 360 plugged in thru VGA, could you kindly confirm if it does display a perfect 16:9 image for the resolutions that worked without issue because I could not confirm from your results below?

What does mapped mean by the way?

Thanks! =)

"VGA w/ 1:1 on
I just got to say right now, you have no idea how beautiful 1080p is over VGA. you must get this cable. It is a step beyond component.
VGA does not always enlarge the image. There can be two or four black bars present.
640x480 (480p): mapped exactly at 640x480 pixels on the screen, remaining area is black
*848x480 (widescreen 480p): mapped at 640x480 pixels so image is distorted; image is green, unusable
1024x768: mapped
*1280x720 (720p): scaled 16:9, black bars only at top and bottom; but image is green
1280x768: mapped
*1280x1024: image is mapped to something, distorted
1360x768: mapped
1920x1080: perfection, one of the best images i've seen"

ren1010 said:
Hello pNin01,

Thanks for the posting your results. I am also hoping to get this LCD as well.

I just wanted to confirm though in regards to your 360 plugged in thru VGA, could you kindly confirm if it does display a perfect 16:9 image for the resolutions that worked without issue because I could not confirm from your results below?

What does mapped mean by the way?

Thanks! =)

The results you just posted confirm the 16:9. "1920x1080: perfection, one of the best images i've seen." 1920x1080 = 16:9, not stretching. The other resolutions with mapped meant that the resolution stayed the same I think, they weren't stretched to 16:9, rather, they displayed at their pixel count without stretching.

Alright, so I bought the Gateway FPD2485W and my fiancee has not left me yet. So far so good. I have my PC attached through DVI and its fantastic. I've used the EZTune program to calibrate the settings, and I think the colors are just outstanding.

I've got my Xbox360 on the VGA input, and it is set to 1920x1080. It looks great, but my test is imperfect because the colors don't seem right. pNin01, how did you calibrate the settings to look right? What settings did you use (I would like to just dupe yours)?

Unrelated question: I also plan to attach a PS3 and/or Wii. How do you guys deal with the multiple audio sources? (Do your sound cards have more than one line-in?)

LostStorm said:
Pictures Please

A picture is worth 1000 words, here's 42,000 of them, You asked for it. :D

(more detailed pics of actual display this foreth comming)

So far:
-no dead pixels
-no input lag
-slight bleeding at corners
-no audible noise (ac buzzing)
-no regrets

With 3 year warrenty from BestBuy $840.68 out the door.

gateway24.01.jpg

gateway24.02.jpg

gateway24.03.jpg

gateway24.04.jpg

gateway24.05.jpg

gateway24.06.jpg

gateway24.07.jpg

gateway24.08.jpg

gateway24.09.jpg

gateway24.10.jpg

gateway24.11.jpg

gateway24.12.jpg

gateway24.13.jpg

gateway24.14.jpg

gateway24.15.jpg

gateway24.16.jpg

gateway24.17.jpg

gateway24.18.jpg

gateway24.20.jpg

gateway24.21.jpg

gateway24.22.jpg

gateway24.23.jpg

gateway24.24.jpg

gateway24.25.jpg

gateway24.26.jpg

gateway24.27.jpg

gateway24.28.jpg

gateway24.29.jpg

gateway24.30.jpg

gateway24.31.jpg

gateway24.32.jpg

gateway24.33.jpg

gateway24.34.jpg

gateway24.35.jpg

gateway24.36.jpg

gateway24.37.jpg

gateway24.38.jpg

gateway24.39.jpg

gateway24.40.jpg

gateway24.41.jpg

gateway24.42.jpg

gateway24.43.jpg

Sorry about not getting the pictures up yet. I didn't realize that Vista doesn't recognize my card readers on my laptop. So I'll have to hook up my desktop and get them off there.

When I said mapped, I meant the video is displayed pixel by pixel. 1:1 mapping of 720p would be displaying exactly 1280x720 pixels centered on the screen, whereas 1:1 scaling of 720p would be a 16:9 image enlarged until there are no more black bars on the left and right. Because of this monitor's resolution, though, 1:1 mapping of 1080p is sufficient. There are only black bars on the top and bottom. The image is not distorted at all. I didn't calibrate any colors yet. But when you press menu, I selected the "Game" mode and it increases the brightness. I'm not sure exactly what it changes but it looked nice.

Back