Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

phobic

Supreme [H]ardness
Hmm could this be the one?? I'm dying to upgrade my Dell 2005 and since I'm not certain if I can get the Westinghouse 37" shipped to me, I just saw this over at Engadget and it sounds pretty interesting... well... they always "sound" interesting. Anyway, specs so far:

$679 MSRP

• S-PVA -- 1920 x 1200 resolution panel (16:10 Aspect Ratio)
  • 500 cd/m² brightness
  • 1000:1 contrast ratio
  • 8ms pixel response
  • 176° viewing angle
  • DVI with HDCP (Supports 480i,480p, 720p, 1080i)
  • Two component (Supports 480i,480p, 720p, 1080i), composite, S-Video, and VGA inputs
  • Four port USB 2.0 hub
  • touch sensitive controls
  • Picture-in-Picture
  • Faroudja DCDi

We'll just have to wait and see how good all this sounds of course.

Edit: Updated specs with info from user manual. There's a link to the manual on that Engadget link.

Although not being a good looking display (in my opinion) the specifications include everything we all want... namingly: HDCP, several inputs, good (teoretical) Response Time and most important of all it has 1:1 mode :D

...but it's a shame that it lacks 1080p and most of all it's a shame that it's not a S-IPS panel... :(

:rolleyes:

If this thing did 1080P, I would have to consider one of these over the Benq I just purchased. DCDi rocks, and 1:1. At least someone's getting closer to getting it right...

Actually, the FPD2485W should be able to support 1080p over the DVI connection. Must be a typo on their support site. You'll need a HDMI to DVI dongle adapter in order to get HDMI in. These are readily available on-line. The cheapest place I have found is www.monoprice.com

Is there any reason it can't support 1080p? I'm kind of a noob on this, but since it has 1:1 pixel mapping and has a resolution of 1920 x 1200, it oughta handle 1080p right?

This can be a winner :) Faroudja DCDi, PIP with Component, 1:1 mode - now BenQ FP241W/WZ is like mistake ;)
It's highly probable that 1080p input through DVI will work, because 1200p works (1920x1200). It won't work if Gateway does something special to reject 1080p - it would be stupid.
Even if Gateway decide to not allow 1080p, there could be a workaround as it is with every current 1080p recorder. Simply pass 1080p signal through 1080i :) It looks like with Gateway you will be able to disable Faroudja DCDi in menu and this will allow to do the trick with 1080p signal.

Sweet. I figured something was up with the 1080p claim. Maybe that is just referring to component? As DVI will be 1080P from a computer source... May have to sell my Benq. :)

Just in time for the Holiday season!!! Cool.

I got the their 21 incher and would definatley consider them over Dell, namely because they're most likely to available in stock at Best Buy/Circuit City to be able to be exchanged should I get one that I find unsatisfactory.

I look forward to seeing tests about input lag etc. Perhaps I can keep my Benq and use a sweet dual setup. :)

Finally some much neede competition for Dell. I just hope the component input works well. The only negative thing right now is I'm if the bottom bezel is thin or not. If so then I can't really use it in portrait mode very well. I don't want to be limited to landscape mode. I do hope it does come in black and a larger picture would do this monitor some justice!

Sgt_Strider said:
Finally some much neede competition for Dell. I just hope the component input works well. The only negative thing right now is I'm if the bottom bezel is thin or not. If so then I can't really use it in portrait mode very well. I don't want to be limited to landscape mode. I do hope it does come in black and a larger picture would do this monitor some justice!
What?? :confused: not trying to be rude but reading that made my head hurt....there is a pic of the actual panel on the link provided above. :D

Anyways...this does indeed sound very promising but the only drawback (you knew there had to be one) is that Gateway typically offers only a one year warranty on their monitors. Of course they will happily charge you extra to extend that for a couple years making the seemingly low MSRP not such a great deal unless you are a gambling man...

Aren't gateway monitors sold in local retail stores? (i.e. BestBuy, CompUSA, CircuitCity)

If so, could lead to some sweet deals considering the MSRP of $679. Throw a regular 12% off BestBuy coupon on there for a total of $597 + tax

** fingers crossed **

joemama said:
What?? :confused: not trying to be rude but reading that made my head hurt....there is a pic of the actual panel on the link provided above. :D

Anyways...this does indeed sound very promising but the only drawback (you knew there had to be one) is that Gateway typically offers only a one year warranty on their monitors. Of course they will happily charge you extra to extend that for a couple years making the seemingly low MSRP not such a great deal unless you are a gambling man...

I said a "bigger" picture. Read my post carefully. The pictures that are provided are a bit on the small side.

Sgt_Strider said:
I said a "bigger" picture. Read my post carefully. The pictures that are provided are a bit on the small side.
I did read your post carefully and it killed a few braincells...."The only negative thing right now is I'm if the bottom bezel is thin or not." -even if you ignore the awkward wording you can clearly see from the pics that the "bottom bezel" is the same as the top and sides...the pics are the same ones you can find on the Gateway website in the "users manual". Also when you say "I do hope it does come in black and a larger picture would do this monitor some justice!" I assume by "larger picture" you mean 2 monitors in dual mode because I doubt the screen will be stretchable. :p It also seems you are in luck about the black color as the only pictures that exist show a black bezel/stand. ;)

joemama said:
I did read your post carefully and it killed a few braincells...."The only negative thing right now is I'm if the bottom bezel is thin or not." -even if you ignore the awkward wording you can clearly see from the pics that the "bottom bezel" is the same as the top and sides...the pics are the same ones you can find on the Gateway website in the "users manual". Also when you say "I do hope it does come in black and a larger picture would do this monitor some justice!" I assume by "larger picture" you mean 2 monitors in dual mode because I doubt the screen will be stretchable. :p It also seems you are in luck about the black color as the only pictures that exist show a black bezel/stand. ;)

Did it not occurred to you that I typed fast and missed a word in the sentence? I guess not and I don't see how that is related to the topic of this thread.

Maybe it's my eyes, but to me, the bottom bezel appears to be slightly bigger. I just want a larger resolution of the monitor. The pictures that are available are relatively low in resolution.

Sgt_Strider said:
Maybe it's my eyes, but to me, the bottom bezel appears to be slightly bigger. I just want a larger resolution of the monitor. The pictures that are available are relatively low in resolution.

It appears to be thicker to me as well, but I don't see why that's important.

Sgt_Strider said:
Did it not occurred to you that I typed fast and missed a word in the sentence? I guess not and I don't see how that is related to the topic of this thread.

I wasn't trying to offend...all in good fun between geeks ok? :) I just didn't understand what you were saying. Now that you mention it the bottom bezel does seem to be a fraction thicker which is odd since it's not for speakers...

I'm liking this one as well. Would be nice to have a HDMI port though. Having 1:1 mapping though makes this a better choice for me than the BenQ.

When I get my new computer next year, I will have to add this alongside my Benq. Just waiting to see tests on input lag. But considering they are using faroudja processing, I doubt it will be an issue.

Jerman said:
When I get my new computer next year, I will have to add this alongside my Benq. Just waiting to see tests on input lag. But considering they are using faroudja processing, I doubt it will be an issue.
But keep in mind that the Faroudja processor was blamed for the banding problems on Dell's 2007FPW and 2407FPW..

I'm really hoping that this doesn't have excessive input lag. If it's < 35ms avg input lag, and no other glaring flaws in initial reviews, I might bite.

Has anyone seen an exact release date for this?

It looks to me like a good candidate. I've been waiting over a year for a good 24", I was going to get the BenQ, but then no 1:1.... :mad:

warriors0584 said:
This thing from gateway says it is a 1080p monitor.

gateway

On that link it also says the monitor supports 1080p over component.. That combined with the fall xbox 360 update for 1080p should be pretty sweet! :cool:

I'm looking at getting a 24" monitor as well and this looks almost perfect on paper.

I need a release date ;)

Forek said:
I'm looking at getting a 24" monitor as well and this looks almost perfect on paper.

I need a release date ;)

Me too. I'll wait till other people get it and then I'll decide

Hey Guys, im in the process of getting myself a new 24" WS mon but just cant commit to one because theres one problem or another with the current ones.

Anway i dont know if anyones noticed but the monitor is now available on the US Gateway website, sadly being in the UK its not available yet but im guessing it will be soon. If not i'll just have to import.

Hopefully they'll be some reviews for it soon.

Gateway FPD2485W

Quick question, somebody in a post mentioned it has 1:1 pixel mapping, but i dont' see in the specifications where it says that. What are you seeing in the specs that's letting you know it's 1:1?

edit:

And to get the review ball rolling, I'll post this snippet of info from a Gateway computer review at ComputerShopper.com that came with this new 24" screen:

Most impressive was Gateway's new FPD2485W LCD monitor, a 24-inch wide-screen beauty that provides a supercrisp, bright image, as well as DVI and component-video inputs, Faroudja video processing, and support for video secured by High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). (Gateway offers an HD DVD player on its higher end FX530XL model.)

I know, it's not informative, but it's a start...

Well, I took the plunge. I just bought this bad boy so we'll see how it goes. Unfortunately, I probably won't get it until next week since I'm having it shipped to Germany and then I'll be in the states for Thanksgiving. I'm not really going to get it until the 2nd of December. Ouch... :( Oh well, there will probably be some review saying it's a crap monitor...just my luck haha.

Strider007 said:
Hey Guys, im in the process of getting myself a new 24" WS mon but just cant commit to one because theres one problem or another with the current ones.

Erm, what's the prob with the current ones?

phobic said:
Erm, what's the prob with the current ones?

I should've said the problems were just problems for what i want in a monitor, for anyone else they might not be a problem. The 2407wfp has a problem doing 1:1 pixel mapping when recieving 1080p output from the xbox 360 via VGA, the BenQ FP241W stretches all video input to its native resolution and the Samsung 244T from what ive read suffers from input lap.
Depending on your usage and what your desired level of quality for a monitor is then these might not be a problem and then those monitors are perfect with no issues or problems.

Glad to see you've taken the plunge, shame though you wont be able to give any feedback on it for a while. Just wished they'd hurry and get them across the atlantic although im sure they'll double the price to match the current 24" monitors in the UK.

hmm im not sure how this will correspond to the 24" version but ive found a review of the FPD2185W and bad news it doesnt seem to be positive review. One can only hope this doesnt reflect the 24" version and tbh the review is rather vague and doesnt really going into any depth.

Not to bump, but I've seen the 22" Gateway at a local BB and it looks very nice. Does anyone have the 24" yet or found any reviews?

Hey im considering this but does anybody know if it'll be a GOOD choice for PS3 gaming? I want to use it for next-gen gaming so it must be able to connect to the PS3 which has HDMI (can this monitor do that?) and play in 1080p (or 720p)

also can it display 576p incase? (PAL)

PLEASE HELP

PLEASE!!! Someone be the guinea... i mean... someone buy this monitor already and report back to us!!

703 said:
Video review of the screen. Looks like it has DCDi processing that actually works, unlike the Dell.

http://media.digitaltrends.com/digitaltrends/gateway_fpd2485w_24in_lcd_monitor.html

TWO!?!?!?!?! Component Inputs!!?!?!?!!!!1111?/!?!11 :eek:

I fracking love how they put the buttons on the front now instead of on the right side like on my Gateway 21" I frequently access the pip menu and switch from VGA/DVI input and having to reach a good ways (as is how mines is currently setup) and cant really be as quick as I want to be when pressing buttons and what options they bring up.

I hope though that they stick to having the power adapter on the panel and not use a power brick, and that the power cord they use is the standard pc power cord, for the 21" uses a Micky Mouse power cord. I may want to buy the "high performance" speaker bar too.

If you want to use this monitor for console gaming, it's easy.

PS3, use any standard HDMI/DVI-D combo cable. You will get 1080p that is not stretched (I contacted Gateway about it).
Xbox 360, use the component cables. It supports 1080p over component.
Wii, use the component cables. Of course you'll get widescreen 480p (848x480).

Back