Gateway FPD2275W vs. Dell 2007WFP

0ptional

Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter
These are the two LCD's I'm interested in.

Both have USB hubs, both have VGA, DVI, S-Video, and Composite Video inputs.

The Gateway has Component Video as well, and as far as I'm aware, does 1:1 pixel mapping.

The Dell does not have Component Video, and I'm not sure about the pixel mapping.

This monitor is important to me mainly as a place to hook up my MacBook, PS2, Xbox 360, and Wii; I do not care about games, it's just a secondary monitor to play movies and games on for me.

I want to know what kind of deals are available on the Dell, and how well these monitors play with the above consoles. I have the VGA adapter for my 360, and am getting the Component cables for my Wii (should I choose the Gateway over the Dell).

Is my information about the above monitors correct?

Right now I play my 360 on my Samsung 191T which has been with me since 2003 and I'm ready to upgrade.

The quality of the inputs for the above consoles is not important, just the pixel mapping and how well they work. I've had 2 of those 50$ "anything > VGA" adapters from Lik-Sang in the past, and those have served me perfectly well so if these offer compatibility like that if not better than I can save myself the 50$ for the adapter and be able to play the 360 and Wii in widescreen and with some HD support.

While the Wii is hooked up, I'll want it to stretch but keep it's 16:9 ratio, and same with the 360. I also want to know if the PS2 will stretch to it's 4:3 ratio (can the PS2 do 16:9?)

Thanks for your input, I have the money to pay for these in full, but if the Dell serves the above purposes and I can obtain a coupon or if my Education discount saves enough to warrant it over the Gateway, I'd like to know.

I'm also open the Westinghouse LCM-22W2 if it can provide the above features but I am under the impression that it cannot do 1:1 pixel mapping.

Any of the above will be huge upgrades for me, so I don't care about the latest and greatest but if there is something coming soon, lemme know.

bump.

Thanks for anything anybody can provide.

I was at Dell's EPP website through my school today and didn't seem to be getting any sort of deal, so I guess that only applies to computers then... and if they're going to be the same price then the Gateway is pretty much everything I want and more, does anybody have any experience with the above or anything similar using this LCD?

I was going to buy the Gateway but finally changed my mind but from what I read in this forum:
-I've seen them returned at BB
-there is pretty bad banding and inverted ghosting issues as well as other off color shadows
-annoying cut off issue that happens intermittently.

As for the Dell
-likelihood of dead pixels seems high
-A04 is hit or miss for the 1:1 pixel fix
-comes with a bit of red color tint that needs to be fixed
-locations to buy it seem limited
-Very popular monitor among many users on this forum.
Minor banding
Built in USB hub and card reader
Minor issue with lower brightness then other monitors in it's class.
You must use the A04 in order to get 1:1 pixel mapping
Lag found when watching movies, A04

There are all nitpicking IMO. You have to ultimately decide for yourself which you prefer. I decided on another brand.

I have the Gateway and I really enjoy it.

Picture-in-Picture. I use this all the time. You can adjust the transparency and the way my setup works is that I can be view the web and have the PiP window up with it mostly transparent with the news on and then on the main screen is whatever I am viewing. I also use this in games during loading or during installs when I can switch it around and have the install in the window and TV on the main screen.

Here's a review from Widescreen Gaming Forum from a user. It is very indepth covering the Gateway monitor. With many pictures showing the PiP and other features. I'd highly recommend reading it all before you purchase, it certainly helped me with my purchase and I knew exactly what I was getting into.

I have the Dell and use the VGA for my 360....chances are you will be like me and prefer to use "fill" instead of the 1:1 pixel mapping. The mapping works but I prefer the screen filled (it doesn't really looked stretched) instead having the black bars. To be quite honest...when I was shopping for a new lcd, the 1:1 pixel mapping was a "must have" feature...now that I have it I really can't find a use for it since I don't use it with the 360 and most pc games either support WS resolutions or are easily hacked to do so.

I care most about the Wii, 360 and PS2, than other stuff. I do not play PC games and use the consoles for all my gaming so I need them to be displayed correctly.

Has anybody used any of the above consoles on these monitors or any other monitors with good results?

I'm really interested to hear peoples experiences.

Above review I linked has a section devoted to using the Xbox 360 with the Gateway.

Above review I linked has a section devoted to using the Xbox 360 with the Gateway.

Yeah I read and saw that; I'm more focused on the other consoles now.

The Wii and the PS2 specifically.

I have the older 2005 model of the dell and love it.

I have not hooked my Wii up to it as I use my DLP now. But when I used it for my PS2 for a while I used the Svid input and it looked pretty good, better than I can make the PS2 look with the componant cables. Love the screen.

Now with the gateway supporting Componant imput and such that makes it great to have the Wii and 360 and ps2 all hooked up with minimal cable switching ETC. Now using the Wii on a 20 inch screen in 480p mode probably wont make a huge difference vs composit in wide screen mode. Cant say for sure but what you do notice probably wont make a huge difference at that size.

Your best bet is to try and find one of these you can watch in action, I did that before buying the 2005. Look at the quality etc in person, then decide which has the features that are REALLY important to you.

I have the older 2005 model of the dell and love it.

I have not hooked my Wii up to it as I use my DLP now. But when I used it for my PS2 for a while I used the Svid input and it looked pretty good, better than I can make the PS2 look with the componant cables. Love the screen.

Now with the gateway supporting Componant imput and such that makes it great to have the Wii and 360 and ps2 all hooked up with minimal cable switching ETC. Now using the Wii on a 20 inch screen in 480p mode probably wont make a huge difference vs composit in wide screen mode. Cant say for sure but what you do notice probably wont make a huge difference at that size.

Your best bet is to try and find one of these you can watch in action, I did that before buying the 2005. Look at the quality etc in person, then decide which has the features that are REALLY important to you.

I'm wondering if I can just hook up to one of the store model FPD2275W's in BestBuy...

Back