Gateway FHD2400

2401 - Why is this thing only 10 bucks cheaper?

I see no USB hub, Component, Composite, S-Video.

No DCDI scaler mentioned, stand looks to only tilt forward/back.

I've been wanting to take my 2400 back to BB and get a new one but I might just have to wait and see how this new one is.

Gateway doesn't even have a product page for this yet!

Haha I learned about the 2401 from the Microcenter circular that I just got this week.

Don't see the big deal with losing composite or s-video - those are legacy. Component, maybe concerned, but component is really only for my Wii. Otherwise HDMI is good for the rest, so *shrug*.

If I really cared, I'd probably just bite the bullet on a VGA cable, but I hardly play the Wii right now, so no biggy.

Gateway FHD2401: No pivot or height adjust either. Whats this missing scaler others have mentioned, what does it do that the 2401 wont?

I picked up one of these in St Louis today, 383 + tax. Seems a pretty good deal. I guess I'm gonna ask what could I be in for? Right now, after 24hrs, no dead / stuck pixels, and only 1 area of BLB , bottom edge, about an inch long, starting about an inch from the lower right corner heading east.

Am I reading correctly that BLB and dead/stuck pix can and sometimes will get worse as time goes with this unit?

I picked up one of these in St Louis today, 383 + tax. Seems a pretty good deal. I guess I'm gonna ask what could I be in for? Right now, after 24hrs, no dead / stuck pixels, and only 1 area of BLB , bottom edge, about an inch long, starting about an inch from the lower right corner heading east.

Am I reading correctly that BLB and dead/stuck pix can and sometimes will get worse as time goes with this unit?

or get better [had blb for the first 2 weeks on the bottom edge and it disapered]

red;86
green;87
blue;92
brightness;60
contrast;48

or get better [had blb for the first 2 weeks on the bottom edge and it disapered]

red;86
green;87
blue;92
brightness;60
contrast;48

A problem (although apparently my BLB is very minimal compared to some pics on here) getting better is always welcomed.. I'd hate to have to drive back up there to swap out. I know I need to do something to turn down the brightness on it. I think it's still on 75 and feel like I have a suntan from it :) I'll try those #'s as I've collected a couple sets now , thank you!

I bought this monitor back in november. I think i posted about it in the first few pages of this thread. I kinda got used to/put up with, the BLB.

But like an hour ago my backlight pretty much bit the dust. all of a sudden while browsing a web page it started strobing. on for a sec, off for a sec... i was like wtf. unplugged it, ac, inputs, ect. then just plugged the ac in, strobes just showing gateway logo w/ no inputs.... guess it's time to RMA.

anyone know if circuit city will exhange it for a new one, or will they make me send it to the manufacturer? i don't have any extended warranties, just the manufacturer 12 month, and my amex which should double it.

Picked one of these up from the local Micro Center about a week ago. Very satisfied with it so far. My question however, I'm looking for some alternatives to forking over the extra $50 for the attached speaker bar. Does anyone know of any good speakers out there that can be plugged directly into this monitor?

I'm also interested in what the lack of scaler means for the 2401. From what I understand it only comes into play when the image is being upscaled, but if you have a good upscaler from where the source is coming from then doesnt a lack of scaler in the monitor not matter?

I received my replacement FH2400 monitor today.I reported the problem 3 business days ago. Kudos to Gateway for fast shipping.

I IMMEDIATELY turned the brightness down to zero on all inputs.

Contrast is on 35 on all inputs - should I lower the contrast even more to prevent blacklight bleed issues in the future?

Was the replacement a new monitor a refurbished?
Does anyone know if Gateway sends new or refurbished replacement FHD2400?

Also, for PC display application/games, would it be better to use DVI or HDMI?

HDMI and the latest DVI send out the same quality image. The only difference between the two is that HDMI includes sound in its cable.

Ok, picked up the FHD2400 from BB last night for $335 brand new. What is the most prevalent problem I coul dencounter, and did I get a good buy?

I've been using this monitor since the beginning of summer. Coming from a 17" LCD, this is a HUMONGOUS upgrade. Obviously I was excited to get this bad-boy home and plug it up and do some gaming, but as soon as I plugged it in and turned it on, I just had to sit there and stare at my desktop for half an hour. So obviously, I'm very happy with my monitor, and love it to death. I cover it with a thin bed-sheet whenever it's turned off to try to keep excess dust from landing on it, it works very very well, I strongly suggest that everyone consider doing this.

I'm using the out-of-box settings, but are there any suggestions for definite tweaks that I'll want to do with this monitor to get a "perfect" picture?

Another thread I seem to have missed. I feel like I'm spamming these pictures every where, but I also have a FHD2400 that I am quite fond of.

The main screen is Gateway's 30" (XHD300), but my secondary is the 24". I've since added the optional speaker bar, but haven't shot an updated pic yet. I love its color gamut, although the darks are a bit over-powering. The 30" definately displays the subtle details better. Regardless, that is about my only complaint with it. Everything is crytal clear. HD DVD movies on it are incredible! Gaming is likewise, the monitor performs in all the right areas. For the money, I think this is one of the better 24's.

So does anyone have or is going to buy the FHD2401? I'd like to see some user impressions and pics!

So I am getting ready to get one of these to replace a three year old Viewsonic monitor I think, I have found one new in box for only $240, for $240 is it really possible to go wrong with this?

Where did you find it for that price?

Yes, where did you find this thing, new for $240?

Besides, its a crap monitor but I feel bad for you that you spent so much on a sucktastic monitor so I am willing, out of the pure generosity of my heart, to buy it from you.

It's good that I am such a nice guy and am willing to erase your most heinous of mistakes by purchasing that mistake. You can thank me when the check clears.

Is the FHD2400 no longer in production since the FHD2401 is out?

No, both models are still in production as far as I know.
The 2401 is a scaled down feature version of the 2400 and usually cheaper. It has fewer features than the 2400 such as auto rotation (very handy if you do photography and use Photoshop), PIP and some inputs. The component inputs are handy if you want to use it as a 1080p monitor with a Blu-Ray DVD player not built in to the PC such as the Playstation though I believe you can adapt the HDMI to a DVI port. Otherwise the monitors comare nicely.

-Darv
Darvin Atkeson

Why are fonts of a certain color (e.g., red) awful looking in "Web" mode? They look as if I bumped down the color depth of my graphics card or if they had gone through heavy JPEG compression.

Sorry, I'm brand new to this thread and monitor, and I really don't want to read through 60 pages. Has a careful test of the input lag vs. a CRT been done for this Gateway?

Also, is the amount of back light bleeding present on new monitors tolerable? Thanks.

I just found one of these clearanced at my local best buy for like 200 bucks. Picked it up and am now setting it up....is there any way to lock the monitor from rotating into portrait on its stand? Monitors that have this feature are always subject to wobble, especially if your desk is on an old uneven hardwood floor :/

I purchsed my FHD2400 to replace my FPD2485 (couldn't stand the inverse ghosting after a while) 12/8/2008. On 12/12/2008 I sent in my monitor to repair the backlight bleeding. I understand that TN panels have some backlight bleeding, but this was unacceptable. There was a 2''-2.5'' band of bleeding on all four sides of the monitor. Colors got washed out and it completely ruined the point of an "HD" monitor.

I questioned the status of the repair on 12/27/08 and they emailed that they hadn't received my monitor yet! However, the FedEx tracking shows it was signed and delivered on 12/24/2008. They still refused that they had my monitor and made me verify with FedEx and get proof it was delivered. A week later they found the monitor in their repair center.

Next, they told me is that my monitor is not under warranty and that I didn't own it. I just bought the monitor on 12/8 for crying out loud. So, they wanted me to fax a copy of the invoice over to the repair center. I faxed the invoice information to them to prove I owned it. I assumed everything was going fine.

On 1/7/2009 I inquired about the status again. They emailed stated that they never received proof of ownership. Now I was boiling! It was almost a month and NOTHING had been done! I eventually complained enough to be moved to a Level 1 service rep (Ryan Lawrence - [email protected]). On 1/9/2009 he called and asked me to email him my invoice, which I did. According to my phone records he called again on 1/9/09 @ 3:57 p.m. to tell me that my monitor was under warranty and that I would have nothing to worry about. Hallelujah- a miracle!

A week later (1/15/09) I received my monitor - unrepaired!

I called again to complain and the Level 1 and 2 customer service reps still had in their notes that I didn't own my monitor and it wasn't under warranty! OMG! So I had to explain to them what Ryan said and they contacted Ryan who contacted me this morning (1/16/09) at 10:41 a.m. He stated he didn't look into the reason why it was being repaired originally and that backlight bleeding is a customer-caused problem and would not be covered under warranty. In other words, he stated that I broke my monitor!!!! I had it in my house and out of the box for only 30 minutes before I shipped it to Gateway for repair and apparently in that time I broke the monitor!

I even tried to explain to him that this was a common problem with this model, even directing him to these forums... but he refused to listen, instead saying there was nothing else he could do.

He said I could send it in for repair again but that 9 times out of 10 backlight bleeding problems are caused by the customer and that the repair center would return it again unrepaired! He suggested returning it to TigerDirect, whichI explained to him that I can no longer do, since Gateway had my monitor for OVER a month!

So, in summation, I have a monitor still at my house and Gateway wasted a month of my life, $30 in shipping for NOTHING! But in sarcasm, I can always attempt to return it to them again with a 90% chance that it will be returned to me unrepaired! How bout them odds?!?!?!

:mad:I will NEVER buy a Gateway again- and I used to be the largest defender of their products, but if this is the way they treat their customer, they can take a flying leap!:mad:

PS- When I opened my package last night the monitor wasn't even packaged like I had packed it originally! There was no plastic protecting around the monitor so that the screen didn't get scratched, there was not bag around the monitor to keep out moisture! Instead it was just the monitor placed between styrafoam unprotected. There was moisture on the screen, fingerprints ALL over it and dirt on the screen... and I don't mean a layer of dust... but actual pieces of dirt!:mad:

I'm now waiting on a response from TigerDirect (though its not their fault or problem) to see if I can at least get store credit so I can purchase a new monitor). I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well as the Attorney General. Next up is a lengthy letter to Gateway's corporate headquarters!

drewdaak, that's a horible story, but one that I can totally believe. I haven't dealt with Gateway's warranty service yet, but have had similar, unbelievably stupid encounters when trying to replace defective Xbox 360 controllers and a defective Rock Band 2 wireless guitar. It's truly amazing how screwed up some of these big companies are. I don't know if this will help with the back bleeding, but at least turn the brightness down on your monitor. I actually have mine set to "0" and it is still plenty bright.

Thanks for the response. I have already tried to set my monitor's brightness down to "0" and there's still obvious backlight bleeding. All four edges of the screen look washed on on regular colors and dark scenes or backgrounds just look horrible! And I thought the inverse ghosting on my FPD2485W was bad... I can deal with that more than I can the massive amount of lightbleed I have on my FHD2400!

So, I filed a report with the BBB and Attorney General’s Office. Two days later, a man named Phillip Dawkins ([email protected]) contacted me from their corporate response team. The very first thing he told me was that my monitor wasn’t under warranty by Gateway (are you catching on to a trend here yet?), so once again, I proved that it was. This time by giving him a PDF of my invoice clearly showing the item number, as well as a link and PDF to the exact item number on TigerDirect’s website as well as the warranty policy link and PDF clearly stating Gateways warranty information and contact numbers. The next morning, Phil left me a voicemail stating “Upon further investigation I saw that you originally submitted your monitor for repair for backlight bleeding. This is caused by a crack in the LCD and is not covered under warranty as this is a customer caused issue.”

I immediately emailed Phil providing him with the pictures that you see, as well as links to forums that describe the same exact lightbleed problems that hundreds of other people are having with their FHD2400’s. He refused to look at them and said there was a crack in the LCD and there was nothing more he could do about it (of course this was after he literally started yelling at me… my coworker heard it all from the doorway of my office!). He said that even our technician on campus would come to the same conclusion (he must take me for an idiot).

I explained to him that all monitors exhibit some form of light bleed, especially on TN panels… so I expected some, but not the amount that this monitor was emitting. He refused to let me speak to his supervisor and said he would forward the information on to this person (which I highly doubt he did or will do) and they may or may not contact me. He submitted his response to the BBB as their being a crack in the LCD that is not covered under Gateway warranty (which tells me that he admits that my monitor is under warranty, which he still wouldn’t do over the phone).

Can anyone tell me that there is a crack in the LCD that is causing this? In my opinion, if cracks were causing the lightbleed I would expect there to be 4 cracks of the same size on all four sides of the monitor, which is just ridiculous!

Yes this monitor is really horrible for BL Bleeding, i still use it though, doesn't bother me that much, i'd return it but Circuit City went out of business LOL.

I can't say that I truly know the cause of back light bleeding, but the last thing I'd suspect are cracks. If that were the case, replacing the panel should easily fix it. Plus causing cracks would have to take some serious abuse, like dropping the monitor. I've always assumed that backlight bleeding was more the result of backlight reflections/leakage around the edges where the glass LCD panel touches the plastic monitor bezel. Fixing it would probably require a better initial design, but possibly improving the light blocking features near the edge of the panels. I may be totally wrong, but adding black felt, electricians tape, etc. behind the bezel may be the way to block backlight bleeding.

I'm sorry that Phil is such a tool. The problem is that you're talking to people who don't even understand the term backlight bleeding. I'm also certain that you don't have cracks in your LCD panel. If you do, then the LCD panels are shipped that way. No one is dropping their monitors on the floor and then all of a sudden discovering new, horrible backlight bleeding.

I wish you had the gumption and time to make it a cla** acti** laws*** against Gateway. Have a computer repair facility dismantle your monitor and remove the panel. Prove that it's not cracked. Find a lawy** that will work only for commision and take leg** acti** against Gateway for not honoring their own warranty.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the Gateway denial concerning the FHD2400 severe backlight bleed problem. I contacted Gateway customer service concerning the severe backlight bleed on my FHD2400. Their customer rep denied any knowledge or complaints concerning the FHD2400 and its defective blb. I then pointed out that there was a 70 page thread on Hardforum from owners with this exact problem. When I did this the rep became rude, condescending and stated "Well dont believe everything you read". My response, How about what I see? As I am now looking directly at my monitor and the 3 inch ring of BLB. These Gateway reps are nothing more than no integrity POS corporate lackeys. Its obvious that Gateway knows exactly what is defective in the FHD2400 and has made a calculated decision to cut their losses to repair their defective lcd by lying and brow beating their customers into not using their warranty. My experience was exactly what DrewDak had above. Rude, condescending etc... It was so outrageous that even at the time my impression was that this was intentional in an attempt to discourage me from using the warranty. I did not send my monitor in as I did not want anything else to do with this Corporate Scum! I will never purchase a Gateway product again! I would encourage everyone to boycott such Corporate Scum that would treat their customers in such a fashion simply because they asked to have them honor their warranty and stand behind their product. After seeing DD experience I now know that they did exactly what I suspected they would do if I had sent it in!

I think there are two things that would correct this situation

1. Boycott any and all products Gateway!

2. A class action lawsuit to force them to honor the warranty and repair the monitors without the Corporate games!

If anyone does take legal action or finds a lawyer interested in class action please post here so that those who have been victims of this expensive LCD can take part.

Here's an update to my current situation:

I contacted our computer tech guy at the University I work for. I let him see the monitor and here is his written response:

'Ok, long and short version of this. First Gateway filed bankruptcy and all warranty related repairs have been put in limbo. Second, dealing with a company going through bankruptcy makes it hard to deal with their employees who are still manning a sinking ship. I understand your frustration and would recommend contacting TigerDirect and explaining to them the situation. Third, you might contact the others on the forum and see if anyone is pursuing legal activities against the now defunct Gateway so that a class action suit will be added to the debtors.

I do not believe you did anything to the monitor. I also do not think there is a crack in the LCD, but there could be a seal around the LCD that is not sealed properly. I would not recommend tearing it apart, but I would recommend contacting a TV repair place locally and getting an opinion as to the cause and cost of repair. Save your receipts as it may be that warranty claims will be honored after the bankruptcy hearings have finished."

I took his advice and contacted TigerDirect. All I have to say is that Gateway can learn more than a thing or two from TigerDirect's customer service. The lady I was talking to was the nicest customer service person I have ever spoken to. I told her the whole ordeal (and amazingly she listened to the whole story!) and I asked if there was anything they could do, even though they had NO obligation to do so.

She put me on hold for about two minutes and came back bearing fantastic news! She said that Gateway is supposed to be responsible for the warranty on this monitor (so Gateway is stupid for not thinking so) and that even though the monitor was refurbished and had a NO RETURNS policy, even if there was a return policy, the monitor was well past the 30 day return period.

However, she said she would override all of that and she proceeded to email me a prepaid mailing slip for UPS to return the monitor and get a full refund of my purchase price. They said they would deal with Gateway in getting their money back and that the customer should never have had to go through this sort of "mind game." Apparently they have been getting a lot of complaints about Gateway merchandise lately.

Ironically enough, about 3 hours after I mailed it, Phil Dawkins left me a voicemail stating "after much more thorough research and consideration, Gateway is willing to repair your monitor." ... I literally laughed out loud! They are "willing" to honor their warranty after putting me through Hell and profusely blaming me for the problem! As if they are bending over backwards to do me a favor! ***k Gateway and any of their future products- I used to be a frequent buyer of Gateway, but never again!

I left Phil a voicemail asking for a refund of my initial cost of shipping the monitor to them and having it returned unrepaired the first time. I have yet to hear a response and I doubt I will get one. This company has become a joke of it's former self. Guess bankruptcy makes people jack***es!

How was the repair concerning the BLB. Did the repaired LCD's show any BLB after the repair by Gateway?

Last edited:
i tried to get my fhd2400 exchanged a while ago, but when I said "backlight bleed" the lady from gateway said it was a "common issue" and because of this gateway wouldn't replace it. She said I could send it in for repair but that this would take at least a month and after that i gave up.

I purchased an FHD2400 about a year and a half ago, and have been very pleased with it so far. Unfortunately, I left home for the weekend, and came back to find the screen full of snow (!). Colors are off, and everything looks pretty terrible. It's out of the warranty period now, so any repairs would be straight out of my wallet... First I'd at least like to try to figure out what's wrong for my own uses.

Half of the house began having intermittent power outages toward the end of last week. The monitor and my main computer were on part of the failing circuit, and I turned off the surge protector they're attached to before I left, so that shouldn't have anything to do with it, but I can't be sure. When I came back the snow was very noticable, as well as some of the scanlines. After initially turning it on, it went back to normal briefly after it was all booted up, but then returned to snow not long after. Playing with various settings (for example, Overdrive, refresh rate) makes the snow worse, or at least a somewhat different pattern, but does nothing to get it back to a normal clear picture. The snow is visible across all inputs, so it is definitely the monitor that's having problems.

Something like this is probably very difficult/impossible to fix by myself, but if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem is or some other tests I can do, please let me know. I'd like to avoid getting a new monitor or at the very least keep the repair bill as low as possible.

did you try the other inputs ? another computer ?

cost of repair vs a new monitor.

if mine breaks i would deffinently fix it.

I got the FHD2400 and I have the bleeding problem too from day one, it is so common for LCDs and you shouldn't complain about it... I paid 500 for it + tax from CC and I am very happy about it. As a matter of fact, I got bleeding problems for all the LCD I owned except my the screen on my IBM Laptop. If I buy something from Gatway/Dell I wouldn't expect any warranty from them, as I know the fact that they wouldn't honor it but I really don't care, as long as the LCD can last 1 year I would be happpy. I guess bleeding issue is common for TN panel screen.

Last edited:
Back