Gateway FHD2400

Has everyone up until this point only received FHD2400's manufactured in September 2007? I picked up one yesterday with the date of February 2008.

manf_date_thb.jpg

(Sorry for the unsharp image, but a better one would require me unscrewing the display from the stand and all that other nonsense... :p)

From what I could tell, no one has reported the 2/08 version yet. I've left the brightness at a full 100 and have taken pictures of its open box state. I'll continue to take pictures every 24h (from the same position using the same camera settings) to see if the backlight problem really worsens when brightness is left at its full magnitude.

There's some back light bleeding, but all TN panels do this anyway to a reasonable point.

9-15 hours of use:

Backlight Bleed:

~48 hours of use:

Backlight Bleed:

hmm it does seem that there is a little less BLB but it could just be the picture or my imagination

your camera is picking up a lot of red color shit- i get that too but cant actually see it in person

what do you think? i might send mine in now- the thing is i dont want to play WoW on a 32ms 200:1 1024x768 dell while im waiting for it to come back so i keep putting it off lol

I know I've slacked on the pictures but there didn't seem a point to posting day after day pictures of nearly the same thing.

I've owned this monitor for 2 weeks now and this is what I've noticed about the 2/2008 version monitor in this time frame.

When turning the monitor on from a state of being inactive (think 3-4 hours of being off), the backlight bleed is exaggerated! Bleed appears where there normally is none and is much brighter; However, this is all on a completely black screen. If you have a screen full of colors and white, such as a standard desktop or bright game, you won't notice it. I do not notice this behavior in the BenQ.

After about 10-20 minutes of being on, the backlight bleed returns to its normal state. I don't know if this is a normal thing with TN panels, since the only other 24" that I currently own is a BenQ and uses a *VA type panel.

I run at full brightness and have for 13 hours a day x 2 weeks and haven't noticed any additional permanent backlight bleed creeping in after the "warm up" period, however, I will take a picture tonight and post it to make sure of this claim. I have pictures of the first day I used the monitor, so there should be some difference if this is true. Two weeks isn't 2 months, but there should still be a 'change' if BLB does in fact increase due to "heat" caused by having the brightness cranked.

I do not own a true next generation console, so the only thing I've been able to try is 480p via Wii. Compared to my BenQ, it is not an enjoyable experience; you can see lines and other artifacts/noise that just aren't present on the BenQ. The additional "noise" kinda detracts from the immersion factor. I wonder if it's the same on the 1080p consoles?

As far as PC gaming, the FHD2400 is much more colorful than the BenQ. Some might say it's saturated (particularly in the red zone), but I'd call it vivid if you reduce the red by 10-15. I wouldn't recommend this monitor for people who do photography/web design/etc professionally -- It's why I kept my BenQ. Horizonal angles are also a bit wacky on this monitor, but it's nothing that you wouldn't expect from a TN.

I've noticed no ghosting: Where the BenQ FP24W had a slight ghosting during dark scenes, the Gateway has none.

Okay, here are the 2 week pictures I promised:

Just freshly on:
blb_power_on_thb.jpg

Scary, isn't it?

Full Image Picture (Horizontal line at the bottom is the hidden task bar indicator):
blb_full_img.jpg

1 hour later:
blb_2w_thb.jpg

For reference, 48 hour picture taken on 4/9:
blb_48h_thb.jpg

I recently bought 2 from CC and they look nothing like that thank goodness, one is perfect and the other one has very slight bleed on the bottom right but well within acceptable limits for this type of panel. I'm very happy with monitors, color, contrast are great. 3/24/08 manufacture dated.

hooked up my snes and it looks/scales nicely =]

Just want to mention that I recently purchased FHD2400 from Circuity City online, the LCD arrived on 4/24 and it is manufactured in March 08.

Admittedly, with my untrained eyes, I am not seeing any severe backlight bleeding out of the box.

Maybe when I free up later in the week, I can setup my tripod and SLR to capture some images to show the backlight bleeding effect on the March 08 revision.

Those of you whose monitors are made in March 08, could you tell me if your serial number begins with "MEY82" or "MEY83?"

At the Best Buy near me, they have a few in stock with the serial number starting with the series that I just mentioned.

I've been looking at this monitor for a while now and I'd like to get the ones made in march like you guys.

ugh im still torn between this and the benq g2400w. about $90 difference in price. I go back and forth. besides the additional inputs, what else is the difference between these 2?

The major difference as you mentioned are the inputs.

Other differences include (FHD2400 has the following):
- Optional speakers
- Glossy screen
- Built-in USB hub
- Screen can be rotated vertically
- Better scaling chip (subjective)

To the other poster above, I will look up the serial number tonight.

Personally, I love monitors with glossy a screen. This is the only one that I know of that has this many connections so that's a big plus in my book.

Even if I don't use some of those connections, it's still nice to have them lying around. The more the options the better it is, that's what I think. Man I wish that there are ips monitors with glossy screens available. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

@ambushy

How's that serial coming along? By the way, how's your monitor coming along, any problems yet? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, thanks for the effort man.

For my March 08 revision, serial starts with MEY83.

I spotted one dead pixel (grey in color) in the upper left corner. It is only slightly visible on a full white screen so I am ok with it.

Under normal lighting situation, a full screen desktop with black background is showing very little backlight bleed on the left and right edge, about an 1/3 to 1/4 inch strip, it is hard to notice unless I look hard for it.

alright I've decided on getting the gateway over the benq. main reason is that I have over $200 in BB gift cards, and I'd prefer to buy it at a B&M in case there are lots of dead pixels or intense blb. also I plan on getting the 4 year warranty. CC has it for 449, so I'm going to try to PM it to them. Should be around 510 or so with tax and the warranty. thanks for all the info here.

I purchased the monitor last week from CC and the manufacture date on the back of the monitor is Jan. 2008. The serial number starts with MEY81. Thanks to all the useful info here I was able to apply the settings as suggested and so far so good. I do have one question: I use this monitor with my HP a1130n (purchased back in 2005) which came with a ATI onboard video card. For some reason the CPU fan would speed up sometime, especially when I am viewing web pages that contains lots of pictures. I have monitor on 1920 X 1200. Could it be the fact that I need to purchase a separate video card because the onboard video card is sharing/relying too much on the CPU thus causing the CPU to heat up?

@ Zerokenohki

I'm no expert here, but it looks like the serial that begins with "MEY83" seems to indicate monitors that are produced in the month of March 2008. As achang777 indicated earlier, the serial that begins with "MEY81" is produced in January 08.

I'll play the role of captain obvious and say this about the serial numbers so far:

"MEY81" = Produced in January 08
"MEY82" = Produced in February 08
"MEY83" = Produced in March 08

The Best Buy store near me has both the "MEY82" and "MEY83." I'll be picking up the "MEY83" one just because it' the latest revision.

I have had this monitor hooked up for about five months. I average about 4 hours a night seven days a week.

I think I was the first one in my area to get one of these monitors. I had to request that Best Buy bring it down from their warehouse shelving.

Initially I was very impressed. The screen coating gave the monitor an edge. Also, the screen was extremely bright right out of the box. However after five months the screen brightness has dimmed. I currently have the screen on 100% brightness and I still have trouble seeing things when I play Xbox 360. The backlight brightness and the backlight bleed have gotton worse month after month. Initially my monitor had little to no backlight bleed, but it slowly progressed to the point it is at now.

I still enjoy the monitor because of its connections and 1:1 ratio options. However, I am glad I bought the extended warranty.

I thought yall would like my input since I have owned this monitor for some time now.

Even with the issues that this monitor has, I'm still willing to take the plunge and buy it. The main reason is that I love glossy screens and I really like the way it looks.

Besides, I intend to buy the 4 year warranty along with this monitor when I get it at Best Buy. I'm not too concerned with any issues that might arise within my warranty coverage.

I am going to use and abuse this monitor 24/7. If any annoying problems comes up, I'm just going to take it right back to Best Buy and get another one. Rinse and repeat for 4 years. I'm bound to get one that works properly by then.

hey. im thinking of getting this monitor. the last thing i need 2 know that i havent been able to find out from other sources is the sound output. i know you can get the soundbar, but id much rather use speakers i have already. im planning on using a xbox360 via VGA, laptop via HDMI or HDMI>DVI and playstation which ever i dont use on the laptop(DVI or HDMI). How wud i get sound through all of those methods??

I'm pretty sure the display doesn't have any actual sound in ports, so any HDMI you pass to it will be video only. If I'm not mistaken, you don't HAVE to use HDMI sound, you can just set it to do analog sound or optical out and connect it to your speakers that way.

Hi, I bought the FHD2400 a few days ago and its a good monitor overall. I have no blacklight bleed that I can tell so far, although the EZTune software isn't compatible with the latest Nvidia drivers so I can't use it to auto-tune my monitor.

An issue that I'm having is that I've connected my Wii to the monitor via component connections and I'm noticing noise and light snow when viewing up close or at an angle and some slight banding at the bottom of the screen when going into the wii settings menu. I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with noise on the component connection. Also when playing smash brawl, I notice that the edges of objects seem jagged/blurry. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this just how the monitor does component or is my monitor defective? I test my Wii on the TV we have here and it looks just fine via component, so I'm thinking either my monitor is defective or the FHD2400 just doesn't do component that well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I hooked up my wii this morning for a few min before i ran to work. I also noticed some noise on the menu screen.
The 360 on hmdi looks great.

Just got this monitor yesterday. No pixles dead that i see so far and no inverse ghosting.

I had the older gateway model (can't recall the model #) that i had to return after a day of use, it was annoying.

Yeah, but even still, on my dad's 40'' TV my wii looks better than it does on this monitor.

I went to circuit city to exchange it and the component connection is still a little noisy, but its a tad better than the previous one. I tried using the composite connection and its noisy as well. Maybe the monitor just is not good with low resolution analog connections.

I purchased this monitor a couple of days and overall have been pretty impressed. Just a quick question.

Is the EZTune Software beneficial? I'm running a Mac though (isn't the irony great?), so I'd have to boot into XP I suppose.

I purchased this monitor a couple of days and overall have been pretty impressed. Just a quick question.

Is the EZTune Software beneficial? I'm running a Mac though (isn't the irony great?), so I'd have to boot into XP I suppose.

I find it helpful with picture n picture other then that no.

I tweaked everything through onscreen menus and nvidias control panel.... took a few weeks to finially get it just right =] most importantly gotta let it warm up before adjusting.

hey. dus anyone know what connection you use to connect the speaker bar? it looks like an s-video plug. but s-video is... video. ha. wud i be able to find an adapter to make that RCA ports?

hey. dus anyone know what connection you use to connect the speaker bar? it looks like an s-video plug. but s-video is... video. ha. wud i be able to find an adapter to make that RCA ports?
I was wondering the same thing. I was looking for a way to direct the audio from HDMI out to some speakers without having to go through my computer first.

I know this sounds counterintuitive but the Speaker Bar has two headphone out that you can direct all output, including HDMI, to another speaker.

I am not sure if that S-Video looking audio plug is digital audio or analog audio. If it is analog audio, then an adapter might work. (total guess-work here)

so what is the best as far as connection for the 360?

if i had an elite i guess it would be hdmi but i just have the reg. xbox 360.

Currently running 360 on component (looks shitty)
VGA?
DVI?

Help.....

so what is the best as far as connection for the 360?

if i had an elite i guess it would be hdmi but i just have the reg. xbox 360.

Currently running 360 on component (looks shitty)
VGA?
DVI?

Help.....

Since your Xbox doesn't have HDMI, use VGA with 1920x1080 resolution and set the monitor to 1:1 mode. That's the best you can do and it should look almost as good as anything else. Xbox 360 VGA cables are less than $10 on Ebay, I got one for 8 bucks and it works perfectly.

Got this yesterday at BestBuy and am extremely pleased with it so far. I bought the 22" Gateway a little less than a year ago and absolutely hated it. Crushed blacks like a mofo.

It's hard for me to believe this is a TN, it's just freakin gorgeous. I'm assuming it's an 8-bit panel what with the 92% color gamut. I have it hooked up to my PC over DVI-D and the Xbox 360 with my old VGA kit. The 360 looks perfect in 1920x1080 with 1:1 pixel mapping, but even the fit mode looks good if not a little vertically stretched. Haven't tried any of the other analog connections.

PiP is awesome, but only if you have EZTune working. I could only get it working under Vista x64, no-go on XP Pro. The program ran, it just couldn't establish DDC/CI to alter the monitors settings from Windows. It's really essential for the PiP because it makes it about ten times faster to move it around, resize it, and switch sources.

On the topic of EZTune, it was the only way I could get the monitor to look "right" without pulling my hair out. Yeah, anything you do in EZTune can be done in the OSD but it takes a lot longer (see PiP) and you have to find your own reference images. Only took about 10 minutes to go through all of it's configurations and now it looks on par with my old FW900. That's right, I ditched the FW900 for a TN :eek: I needed the inputs.

My only gripe so far is that you have to buy the "optional" sound bar to get audio from HDMI sources. This can be remedied by hooking up the analog sound outputs from whatever you have. Not a perfect solution for the 360 though as the regular AV plug will block the HDMI port unless you have the one from the Core which is thinner. Would work for the PS3 though, I just haven't hooked it up yet. Still, it's annoying as it kind of defeats the purpose of HDMI being a one-cable solution. I'll probably crack and buy the speaker bar but I still feel like I'm throwing money away since I already have a great set of speakers.

Do the viewing angles suck? Yes, it's a TN. But every other TN flaw is absent on this thing. If you're the sole user of the monitor than it works out great. The one I bought has almost no backlight bleed, not enough to notice under normal use. I have one stuck pixel but it's freaking tiny, I barely notice it.

edit: Found out it's a 6-bit but w/e. Still looks very good, I haven't noticed any dithering.

I was thinking of getting the FHD2400, using it for computer use and also to watch HD movies, how is the 1:1 scaling? also it there a new version out? I noticed at bestbuy that they were taking down the older one and put new one up, i didn't any difference between the two though...

i just bought the FHD2400 off of newegg for 429.99...its selling for 479.99...but there is a promotional code: monitor5150 which knocks off 50 bux...don't know how long it'll last but i think for 430...this monitor should be worth it...hopefully i won't get any of the blb issues =/

if i do...newegg always as 30 day exchange so i'll just keep swapping them out till i get a good one haha...but i feel that there has to be more good monitors than defective ones...but who knows...wish me luck! :)

edit: ironic thing happened...after i bought this monitor...i go home and my current one (2005fpw) starts to die...the backlight is dying and images get burned onto screen really quickly...about 10 secs...anyways just thought it was a bit ironic

Absolutely incredible screen.

However, I'm on my second one from Best Buy. The first had a stuck red pixel on the left. The one I am staring at now has a blue pixel on the right.

I'll be going back and forth until I get a screen with no dead/stuck pixels.

Absolutely incredible screen.

However, I'm on my second one from Best Buy. The first had a stuck red pixel on the left. The one I am staring at now has a blue pixel on the right.

I'll be going back and forth until I get a screen with no dead/stuck pixels.

I Had a blue one stuck but it fixed itself overnight..... I freakin love this monitor, all of my guests that come by are amazed by how clear the picture is. btw the better/newer the video card the is, the better the image will look. going from a ati 9800pro to 8800GTS 512 was like night and day.:)

Just went to another Best Buy and had Geek Squad open up the box to check for stuck pixels. Amazing luck, the first one I got has no dead or stuck pixels whatsoever.

Unfortunately, Joke Squad must have put a fingerprint on the screen while they were taking it out of the box. Used a clean t-shirt to wipe it off. Being the paranoid individual that I am, however, I am afraid that I might have taken off some of the glossy layer (if you had ever wiped a glossy screen with a paper towel, you'll notice that the area you've wiped will be smoother than normal).

How do you guys clean glossy screens?

Just went to another Best Buy and had Geek Squad open up the box to check for stuck pixels. Amazing luck, the first one I got has no dead or stuck pixels whatsoever.

Unfortunately, Joke Squad must have put a fingerprint on the screen while they were taking it out of the box. Used a clean t-shirt to wipe it off. Being the paranoid individual that I am, however, I am afraid that I might have taken off some of the glossy layer (if you had ever wiped a glossy screen with a paper towel, you'll notice that the area you've wiped will be smoother than normal).

How do you guys clean glossy screens?

megalith, you should be fine if you don't use any kind of cleaning solution. I usually just get a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen of my macbook (glossy)

anyways...tshirt should be ok...but i prefer microfiber cloths

i have a question about the speaker bar? i have this monitor but am currently running audio from my xbox and satelite box through my laptop speakers. which is very inconvenient. i know the HDMI cable carries audio to the monitor and through the speaker bar attachment. but r there RCA or 3.5mm jack input ports on the speakerbar also? my xbox is hooked up via VGA and my satelite box is by s-video. my current plans are to hook up my ps3 and laptop(occasionally) by HDMI with a switcher. so audio on those is fine. but i need audio inputs for xbox and tv box. thanks.

Back