Gateway FHD2400

Just bought this monitor. Gotta get used to the glossy screen,but so far im impressed.

Just bought this monitor. Gotta get used to the glossy screen,but so far im impressed.

Welcome! Keep your brightness down until we know whether it affects backlight bleed. Each input has a separate brightness setting. It's still plenty bright at low brightness settings.

Enjoy! :)

If there are any other FHD2400 users thinking of exchanging their LCD for the new Dell 2408WFP, I have some bad news. I just finished a chat with Dell and they told me that it will not be available at Best Buy.

If there are any other FHD2400 users thinking of exchanging their LCD for the new Dell 2408WFP, I have some bad news. I just finished a chat with Dell and they told me that it will not be available at Best Buy.

Any word on whether an Best Buy shops have the FHD2400 back in stock?

I have no idea. Actually, the last time I went to BestBuy, they had very few monitors left in stock at all.

I have no idea. Actually, the last time I went to BestBuy, they had very few monitors left in stock at all.

Interesting. This is a bit outside of the scope of this thread, but Best Buy appears to carry the Planar 26" model, at least on their website: http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb...true&productID=BB10745023&websrc=FRBB10745023.

I've been thinking about that as a possible replacement for the FHD2400 if I ultimately decide I can no longer tolerate this egregious BLB. I purchased the PSP when I got my FHD2400; anyone know how I would go about making that exchange (or if I even could)? Thanks for any insight.

In regards to what Reductant said about the 2408 not being at Best Buy... is there a reason I should not order it from Dell? Are they bad about exchanges?

Guys, Just wanted to post my experience with the Gateway FHD2400. I have a FHD2400 prodcut id: 7010821r, mnfr date: Sep 2007. I really liked this LCD but now it suffers from severe BLB. At first I had none at all but now it has progressed to severe and continues to get worse. At some point I will try and get a replacement from Gateway but waiting for them to address the issue thru a product revision. Found this thread right after I bought it and had hoped I wouldnt suffer the BLB but.....:( I'm running settings brightness 77, contrast 55.

Guys, Just wanted to post my experience with the Gateway FHD2400. I have a FHD2400 prodcut id: 7010821r, mnfr date: Sep 2007. I really liked this LCD but now it suffers from severe BLB. At first I had none at all but now it has progressed to severe and continues to get worse. At some point I will try and get a replacement from Gateway but waiting for them to address the issue thru a product revision. Found this thread right after I bought it and had hoped I wouldnt suffer the BLB but.....:( I'm running settings brightness 77, contrast 55.

Dude, you gotta turn down that brightness to 0.

Hey Gateway Fhd2400 Owners,

Just wondering even at Zero Brightness is it still bright? I love bright LCDs so I hope its still bright.

Just wondering even at Zero Brightness is it still bright? I love bright LCDs so I hope its still bright.

Zero does sound ridiculously low, but this is a very bright monitor, and the brightness control doesn't have much effect. It was so bright at 100 that it hurt my eyes. Now, at zero it isn't "bright bright", but is more like a normal monitor slightly dimmed.

To give you some idea of the brightness (which is hard to do it in a picture), these pictures I took at a brightness of "5 out of 100". Zero is slightly dimmer than 5.

Try it out at the store to get a better indication:

Just like Wayne, I turned mine down to 0 the day I got it because the brighter settings literally hurt my eyes. I've never felt it was too dim at 0. And the side-benefit of no detectable BLB makes it a must.

Thanks guys! Also Thank you very much AV-Wayne For the pictures. Hey MotherboyXXX from the day you got it till now is backlighting ok on yours?

Hey all,

Is it possible that tightening the screws on the case could help the BLB?

Some have mentioned the Dell tape solution, but that entails ripping the monitor apart and putting electrical tape between the panel and the bezel, which will blow your warranty.

Is it possible with time that the screws are getting looser or that the screw posts are stretching.

I'm not talking about tightening them to the point of breakage, but checking looseness.

Not sure if this was suggested before (sorry if it was), but I thought I'd see if I could help, because otherwise this does sound like an incredible monitor with the plethora of inputs and wide-gamut panel, and it's a shame to see so many pizzed off people.

Regards,

10e

Hey all,

Is it possible that tightening the screws on the case could help the BLB?

Some have mentioned the Dell tape solution, but that entails ripping the monitor apart and putting electrical tape between the panel and the bezel, which will blow your warranty.

Is it possible with time that the screws are getting looser or that the screw posts are stretching.

I'm not talking about tightening them to the point of breakage, but checking looseness.

Not sure if this was suggested before (sorry if it was), but I thought I'd see if I could help, because otherwise this does sound like an incredible monitor with the plethora of inputs and wide-gamut panel, and it's a shame to see so many pizzed off people.

Regards,

10e

This is an interesting question. All of the indicators point to heat being the culprit, but this might also have something to do with it.

Just curious but what is Gateways response to the severe BLB issue?
Denial? Acknowlegment? Are they replacing the LCD's?

Hey MotherboyXXX from the day you got it till now is backlighting ok on yours?

Yep. I've always had all my inputs on 0, and to this day I cannot detect any of the BLB that is described on these (or other) forums. And I have used the monitor for many hours a day for months now.

I will make an attempt in the near future to take a picture and get it posted here. It will not be real soon though, as I am always busy with work during the day and grad school at night. But I will try and do it in the next week or so. Plus there shouldn't be too big a rush as there's really nothing to see anyway!

Yep. I've always had all my inputs on 0, and to this day I cannot detect any of the BLB that is described on these (or other) forums. And I have used the monitor for many hours a day for months now.

I will make an attempt in the near future to take a picture and get it posted here. It will not be real soon though, as I am always busy with work during the day and grad school at night. But I will try and do it in the next week or so. Plus there shouldn't be too big a rush as there's really nothing to see anyway!

Thank you very much for your help.

Hey, everyone, I haven't posted here in a while. I grew quite tired of the backlight bleed. It's just too much to forgive any longer. I took the monitor to Best Buy today and exchanged it for the HP w2408h. Certainly the w2408h is lacking the connectivity of the Gateway but then again, I've also gotten rid of all my consoles due to my waning interest. I've also been quite disappointed with the build quality of the monitor and the stand of the FHD2400 all along. The simple fact that the monitor cannot be mounted parallel to the front of the stand and that in portrait mode, the monitor is not level just shows poor quality. I also prefer having the speakers hidden inside the w2408h rather than external. I know if you are dead set on playing console games, the FHD2400 is probably the best choice.

FYI for those using the Best Buy Product Service Plan. Their policy on exchanges is that you exchange the monitor for one other monitor regardless of cost. They guarantee you that they will replace your monitor with another monitor that meets or exceeds your monitor on every account (contrast ratio, brightness, response time, etc.). Even if it costs more, you'll get it. The flip side is that if the replacement monitor costs less, you don't get refunded the difference as a store credit.

Hey, everyone, I haven't posted here in a while. I grew quite tired of the backlight bleed. It's just too much to forgive any longer. I took the monitor to Best Buy today and exchanged it for the HP w2408h. Certainly the w2408h is lacking the connectivity of the Gateway but then again, I've also gotten rid of all my consoles due to my waning interest. I've also been quite disappointed with the build quality of the monitor and the stand of the FHD2400 all along. The simple fact that the monitor cannot be mounted parallel to the front of the stand and that in portrait mode, the monitor is not level just shows poor quality. I also prefer having the speakers hidden inside the w2408h rather than external. I know if you are dead set on playing console games, the FHD2400 is probably the best choice.

FYI for those using the Best Buy Product Service Plan. Their policy on exchanges is that you exchange the monitor for one other monitor regardless of cost. They guarantee you that they will replace your monitor with another monitor that meets or exceeds your monitor on every account (contrast ratio, brightness, response time, etc.). Even if it costs more, you'll get it. The flip side is that if the replacement monitor costs less, you don't get refunded the difference as a store credit.

Reductant:

Finally jumped ship, huh? I assume you exchanged with BB using the PSP? Did they give you a hard time over your explanation (presumably, horrendous backlight bleed)?

How is the w2408 treating you? What are the scaling options on that guy?

Thanks

Just curious but what is Gateways response to the severe BLB issue?
Denial? Acknowlegment? Are they replacing the LCD's?

I spoke with them and they said they have not heard about the problem AT ALL... supposedly they "respond" to multiple complaints... but it sounds like they have heard it multiple times from the people on here at least...

They also denied that there was a back order, but Best Buy insisted that there was...

I spoke with them and they said they have not heard about the problem AT ALL... supposedly they "respond" to multiple complaints... but it sounds like they have heard it multiple times from the people on here at least...

They also denied that there was a back order, but Best Buy insisted that there was...

When I tried to exchange it yesterday, my Best Buy told me they were getting 1 in stock today. They asked if I wanted to wait for that one and I was like, no thanks.

Reductant:

Finally jumped ship, huh? I assume you exchanged with BB using the PSP? Did they give you a hard time over your explanation (presumably, horrendous backlight bleed)?

How is the w2408 treating you? What are the scaling options on that guy?

Thanks

Scaling options are Fill to Screen, Fill to Aspect Ratio, and One to One. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 displayed scaled properly with no tearing on HDMI and VGA, respectively.

The default Color scheme is not so great. Switching it to sRGB mode though makes it look really nice.

I had the fhd2400 but couldn't handle the horrible viewing angles. Right now I'm trying the dell 2707wfp. So far so good...

He may have had a bad case of backlight bleed, which has been reported to reduce viewing angles.

New people should set their brightness to zero to avoid backlight bleed. Not proven to work yet, but there are early indications this works. New monitors only, it won't fix bleed that has already occurred. Don't worry, zero is not dim!

He may have had a bad case of backlight bleed, which has been reported to reduce viewing angles.

New people should set their brightness to zero to avoid backlight bleed. Not proven to work yet, but there are early indications this works. New monitors only, it won't fix bleed that has already occurred. Don't worry, zero is not dim!

I've had no further increase in BLB since I bought my monitor, it's still the same, i've had it set to zero since day one. At least it's still the same so far....so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed I reckon.

One other flaw I noticed in the FHD2400 was the horizontal viewing angle on dark scenes. I noyiced when playing a game (LOTRO) during in-game night-time, that if I shifted my head off-center left or right many more deails would become apparent. On my new screen, I can see all the details head-on and the only change horizontally is a color shift at extreme angles.

I shouldn't have any problems if I am the only one looking at this Monitor and I will be looking at the Directly in front of it. Also keep the brightness settings under 15. I just love looking at this monitor at the store. I guess its just time to test my luck and take it home. Thanks for your ongoing help H Members.

Also keep the brightness settings under 15.

I think I may have gotten a slight amount of BLB creep at a setting of 5 over a few months. I'd take her all the way to 0... Because of the way they designed that control, zero looks pretty normal.

wow my BLB is getting a lot worse... i dont think i can return it after this long though, ive had it for like 4 months

I'm glad I returned my FHD2400 to BB. The BLB is really quite disturbing. I had mine over Christmas when a 30 day return policy was in effect. So over about 30 days I consistently had the BLB with the monitor and even tried two other FHD2400's from BB at the same time and took those back also.

I finally decided to try out the Dell 2707wfp and haven't looked back. If you want a bright, colorful, glorious screen, it is well worth the extra cash. Order one from Costco and you can return it if you don't think it's worth the money. The only drawback besides price is it crackles pretty loudly every so often. But that's it for me.

I keep mine at 100- turning it down dosent really reduce the bleeding and i like it bright

il take some comparrison shots tell me if you think its worth it to try getting another

Back