Gateway FHD2400

I am still on a quest for a good monitor and I still cant find anything to compete with the FHD for the price. The planar 26inch looks good but its got color banding I hear.

At first I was dissappointed in this monitor because of BLB after 3 days. But after turning down the brightness to 0 the BLB is less noticable and, more importantly, it stopped progressing. It is much cooler now so I guess it melts something when the lights are on to high(comes at 80 or so).. I wish I did this before it started bleeding!... Right now it looks fine. I will eventually RMA it and just turn down the brightness from the get go... just cause im nitpicky. So if you do get this.. be sure to turn down the brightness. it still looks good and it will stop the bleeding in my experience... without BLB its perfect for a TN.

At first I was dissappointed in this monitor because of BLB after 3 days. But after turning down the brightness to 0 the BLB is less noticable and, more importantly, it stopped progressing. It is much cooler now so I guess it melts something when the lights are on to high(comes at 80 or so).. I wish I did this before it started bleeding!... Right now it looks fine. I will eventually RMA it and just turn down the brightness from the get go... just cause im nitpicky. So if you do get this.. be sure to turn down the brightness. it still looks good and it will stop the bleeding in my experience... without BLB its perfect for a TN.

I just bought this monitor so thanks for the tip. I got a little backlight bleed on the right side now but honestly it's not noticeable except for when Windows is booting and the screen is completely black. I have used this for a couple hours at a brightness of 10 and just now read this so turned it down to 0 and it looks good to me, honestly I can't tell much diff. from 10 brightness to 0.

What do you have contrast set at?

I've had my eye on this monitor and has anyone bought directly from Gateway? If I buy locally (Circuit City) they have a low stock in turn would suck for exchanging.

the only thing i dislike so far about this monitor that maybe someone can help me with is this - i have my tv box plugged into the component so i get tv, which works fine...

in the evening before i go to sleep i will be using the pc and i turn off the monitor, in the morning when i turn on the monitor it goes to the component input, which is the tv, instead of going to the VGA input which is what i was using last..

does anyone know why this would happen? it's kind of a pain to switch inputs every morning when i turn this thing on..

Do you leave the monitor plugged in, or is it plugged into an outlet strip that you turn off?

Mine did something similar, and also gave me that "Do you want to speak English" question every day, until I plugged it directly into the wall. Now I turn my outlet strip off, and then separately turn the monitor off on its front panel.

Do you leave the monitor plugged in, or is it plugged into an outlet strip that you turn off?

Mine did something similar, and also gave me that "Do you want to speak English" question every day, until I plugged it directly into the wall. Now I turn my outlet strip off, and then separately turn the monitor off on its front panel.

It's plugged into a UPS and i just turn off the monitor at night, not the UPS or anything.

Is it possible it's switching to the first live input it sees? i.e. -- The component input is live before the VGA input is?

Is it possible it's switching to the first live input it sees? i.e. -- The component input is live before the VGA input is?

That's exactly what I believe is happening man... I think if I can't figure out a way around it i'll just disconnect the component, I mainly will use that PIP feature when football is on and right now it will go unused.

But if anyone knows a solution please do post! I'd prefer not to have to disconnect the components if possible.

The best thing I can think of is don't turn on the TV box until the monitor sees the VGA come alive... I'm not near my monitor right now, but I suppose there's a slim possibility that there is an option to turn off the automatic selection of ports...

I just bought one on jellyfish.com's smack shopping for $450 shipped, probably could have got it for under $400 if i had been patient. Check it out if you've never heard of it. They slowly drop the price until it sells out ( usually only 1-3 units), but you can get brand new merchandise for 25-60% off retail, and it's fun.

Hope it gets here soon, and that it doesn't have any BLB problems/dead pixels.

Thanks Wayne, btw reading back thru this thread - did your backlight bleeding ever get much worse?

I'm wondering if i should pay the $80 best buy 4 year guarantee if it's possible mine could get as bad as some others here say

Thanks Wayne, btw reading back thru this thread - did your backlight bleeding ever get much worse?

I'm wondering if i should pay the $80 best buy 4 year guarantee if it's possible mine could get as bad as some others here say

I am of the opinion that my original slight glow may be glowing slightly more, but it's still not noticeable during my normal computer operations. It is noticeable during dark times, however.

Two weeks ago I compared my glow to a picture I took a month earlier when my monitor was a month and a half old, and it had not progressed beyond the month-old photograph. My brightness levels have all been set to 5 since I got the monitor, which may or may not have helped me.

I think from the reports we've heard here, the 4-year guarantee is worth it. From the most recent reports you may only need to turn up your brightness for awhile to get a new-technology monitor 4 years from now. :)

By the way, until we know otherwise, I would recommend all inputs on ALL new monitors be turned down to 5 to avoid progressive BLB. Not proven to work yet, but may be a good precaution. Don't worry, the monitor will still be plenty bright at 5.

In any case, I would expect a bit of glow -- it is a TN panel, after all.

I'm starting to notice a slight degradation in viewing angles as well, although I think this is because of the backlight more than anything. Too bad so many games are so dark.

I'm starting to notice a slight degradation in viewing angles as well, although I think this is because of the backlight more than anything. Too bad so many games are so dark.

I know you've got some BLB, and we've been hearing BLB seems to change viewing angle as well. My BLB is minimal, and my viewing angles are still very good (considering it's a TN). So, maybe we can tie the two together after all...

if keeping the brightness down holds the BLB from getting worse , and a coating of some kind may where off with the brightness turned up , would the Dell BLB fix work Hmmm?

I don't think that backlight settings on all inputs will impact this. If, as has been suggested, the panel exhibits progressive BLB because some coating is burned off, once that coating is gone, it is gone irrespective of what input you're using.

It is also certainly conceivable that viewing angles could be impacted by that same coating.

Also, some people in this thread have suggested that BLB should vary with viewing angle. I do not believe that is correct. BLB should be an objective constant. It is true that you might view it somewhat differently from differing angles, but I think overall it ought to be the same.

I don't think that backlight settings on all inputs will impact this. If, as has been suggested, the panel exhibits progressive BLB because some coating is burned off, once that coating is gone, it is gone irrespective of what input you're using.

I think you misunderstand -- I have said you need to turn down all your brightness settings, so you don't use an input that still has the brightness set to 100. In other words, to possibly protect that coating (or whatever) before it gets burned off.

Also, some people in this thread have suggested that BLB should vary with viewing angle. I do not believe that is correct. BLB should be an objective constant. It is true that you might view it somewhat differently from differing angles, but I think overall it ought to be the same.

It definitely does vary with viewing angle, as does everything you view on a TN. I have even proven this using an objective camera from two different viewing angles...

I think you misunderstand -- I have said you need to turn down all your brightness settings, so you don't use an input that still has the brightness set to 100. In other words, to possibly protect that coating (or whatever) before it gets burned off.

It definitely does vary with viewing angle, as does everything you view on a TN. I have even proven this using an objective camera from two different viewing angles...

Sorry, I did misunderstand you with respect to brightness levels on various inputs. I thought you were suggesting that even if you had excessive BLB on DVI, for instance, you could escape that by switching to HDMI. Upon reflection, that is plainly not what you meant.

I must, however, disagree on the BLB-viewing angle point. In fact, I think you make my point for me. BLB is what it is. That it may appear somewhat more or less severe from different viewing angles is immaterial. At base, it represents how much of the backlight is bleeding through the panel.

I must, however, disagree on the BLB-viewing angle point. In fact, I think you make my point for me. BLB is what it is. That it may appear somewhat more or less severe from different viewing angles is immaterial. At base, it represents how much of the backlight is bleeding through the panel.

You don't agree that there is a BLB-viewing angle difference, but you say BLB may appear more or less severe from different viewing angles...?

It is me who misunderstands now.

Actually, two different subjects have been mentioned in respect to BLB-viewing angle: I have noted the actual BLB itself changes with viewing angle (no image), and others with major BLB have said normal images present themselves with less viewing angle than they did before the BLB progressed. Maybe this has to do with a washed-out appearance, I don't know... Anyway, you and I may be talking about two different things, which may be our disconnect.

I just bought this monitor so thanks for the tip. I got a little backlight bleed on the right side now but honestly it's not noticeable except for when Windows is booting and the screen is completely black. I have used this for a couple hours at a brightness of 10 and just now read this so turned it down to 0 and it looks good to me, honestly I can't tell much diff. from 10 brightness to 0.

What do you have contrast set at?

Yeah, I am convinced that keeping the brightness down will preserve it. There is big temperature difference. I keep my contrast at about 63 depending on what I'm doing. Good luck with it, Hopefully this will prevent our future BLB issues!

Well, Dell still hasn't released their new monitor... and Best Buy is still sold out and back ordered with the FHD2400... any one heard anything about Gateway and the back order? Everyone is sold out it seems.

You don't agree that there is a BLB-viewing angle difference, but you say BLB may appear more or less severe from different viewing angles...?

It is me who misunderstands now.

Actually, two different subjects have been mentioned in respect to BLB-viewing angle: I have noted the actual BLB itself changes with viewing angle (no image), and others with major BLB have said normal images present themselves with less viewing angle than they did before the BLB progressed. Maybe this has to do with a washed-out appearance, I don't know... Anyway, you and I may be talking about two different things, which may be our disconnect.

Yes, I think we're talking past each other to a certain extent. I guess the point is that BLB is a sort of constant: it simply represents the light that is coming through the back of the panel. Viewing angle does not affect that. Now, it may *appear* more or less severe depending on viewing angle to some people (it does not to me, however).

As to the other issue you raised, I've experienced the latter -- that is, as BLB has progressed, viewing angles in normal computing operations have declined. That is the most problematic thing in my book, although I'm adjusted it to it in some ways at least.

I played some xbox 360 on this monitor tonight via component and man this monitor just kicks @ss...I know the backlight bleed really upsets some and I do have some from the right hand side but I still gotta say I love this monitor and do not regret buying it for one second.

theres no doubt that the monitor kicks ass when its new but the BLB does get to you hopefully the backorder problem is because there fixing the issue , I can only hope lol

How can you tell when a new revision is made? Is it on the box? On the website? Also How do you tell when it was made? (Ex: 01/2008) Thanks for any help!

How can you tell when a new revision is made? Is it on the box? On the website? Also How do you tell when it was made? (Ex: 01/2008) Thanks for any help!

Those are all on the back of the monitor, under the DVI cable, on a white sticker. The revs are the Product Code, and the date just below that is the manufacture date.

I don't know how to tell what is currently being manufactured, except by reports of what people say they receive here.

So far the best advice is keep your brightness low, like down to 5 or so, to (hopefully) avoid the more major levels of BLB. You will still get a little, however.

Those are all on the back of the monitor, under the DVI cable, on a white sticker. The revs are the Product Code, and the date just below that is the manufacture date.

I don't know how to tell what is currently being manufactured, except by reports of what people say they receive here.

So far the best advice is keep your brightness low, like down to 5 or so, to (hopefully) avoid the more major levels of BLB. You will still get a little, however.

Thanks Wayne You been a great help in this thread and Thanks for helping me on my question! :)

AV-Wayne or anyone who has the speaker bar:

I went to Circuit City tonight and they sold me the wrong speaker bar, they sold me the one for the old Gateway 24" monitor. It'll work though for a week until my computer comes, then i'll take it back and get the correct one.

This one actually may be better for what I need right now because it has 2 auxillary RCA inputs..does the FHD2400 speaker bar have this? I can't see that it does from the picture.

Also, I already have my monitor all setup and everything plugged in, I really don't want to disconnect everything to put it on a flat surface to plug in the speaker bar like it recommends. Can I do this just by connecting it up with the monitor standing in it's normal position? I guess i'm not sure how easy it is in regards to just snapping in place, lining everything up, etc?

Thanks!

AV-Wayne or anyone who has the speaker bar:

I went to Circuit City tonight and they sold me the wrong speaker bar, they sold me the one for the old Gateway 24" monitor. It'll work though for a week until my computer comes, then i'll take it back and get the correct one.

This one actually may be better for what I need right now because it has 2 auxillary RCA inputs..does the FHD2400 speaker bar have this? I can't see that it does from the picture.

Also, I already have my monitor all setup and everything plugged in, I really don't want to disconnect everything to put it on a flat surface to plug in the speaker bar like it recommends. Can I do this just by connecting it up with the monitor standing in it's normal position? I guess i'm not sure how easy it is in regards to just snapping in place, lining everything up, etc?

Thanks!

The FHD2400 speaker bar has a single RCA pair in the center rear:

I don't remember any problems installing it, but then I don't remember whether there were any cables on the monitor at the time. If you can raise your panel up and rotate it 90 degrees, I'm sure you'll be good to go.

ok, well it's a good thing it does have those RCA inputs as that was one thing I was a little wondering about.

BTW - the guy at circuit city said that plugging my 360's rca inputs into the monitor would not work because it needed an amplifier, but I didn't think that made any sense, turns out he was wrong on that too, this speaker bar has great sound, only problem is it won't mount on the monitor.

It's what I get I guess for listening to Circuit CIty salesmen.

BTW - the guy at circuit city said that plugging my 360's rca inputs into the monitor would not work because it needed an amplifier, but I didn't think that made any sense, turns out he was wrong on that too, this speaker bar has great sound, only problem is it won't mount on the monitor.

It's what I get I guess for listening to Circuit CIty salesmen.

Yea, the speaker bar is amplified. Also, if you have an HDMI connection, the sound will come over that, freeing up the RCA connections.

Yea, the speaker bar is amplified. Also, if you have an HDMI connection, the sound will come over that, freeing up the RCA connections.

Wayne, is it fairly easy to mount onto the monitor? Or am I going to have to disconnect everything from the monitor and set the monitor face down on a flat surface like it recommends? My plan is to just add it as the monitor is sitting in a normal position.

Wayne, is it fairly easy to mount onto the monitor? Or am I going to have to disconnect everything from the monitor and set the monitor face down on a flat surface like it recommends? My plan is to just add it as the monitor is sitting in a normal position.

I don't think you'll need to completely disconnect and find a flat surface, but you may have to raise the monitor up and weed your way through the already-connected cables to plug in the two plugs (power and sound/control) that it requires. Worst case, maybe rotate the monitor a bit.

It should snap in place, if I remember correctly.

I don't think you'll need to completely disconnect and find a flat surface, but you may have to raise the monitor up and weed your way through the already-connected cables to plug in the two plugs (power and sound/control) that it requires. Worst case, maybe rotate the monitor a bit.

It should snap in place, if I remember correctly.

Hey, I just got back from Circuit City and have it connected up now. You were 100% right, the easy part was snapping it into place, the difficult part was the connections. I had everything connected up real easy and quick, plug it in and no audio, the audio cable slipped out, 5 very sweaty minutes later fiddling with it and I have sound!!!

This one looks more low key than the other and honestly I did kinda like all the little blue lights on the other but this looks more streamlined. I guess it's whatever floats your boat!

Back