Gateway FHD2400

GTOViper

Limp Gawd
After trying out the Dell 2407-HC, I felt the inverse ghosting issue was annoying me too greatly for me to justify keeping it, thus onto my quest in search for a new 24" gaming monitor.

Some issues other than the inverse ghosting with the 2407-HC that I had was image tearing right in the middle of the screen dead across the center when viewing Blu-ray videos in 1080p using an HDMI-to-DVI connector, that annoyed me tremendously when I'm trying to enjoy a HD movie.

Also, the analog input quality from the HC is really sub-par, if you hook up your PS3 or any other device for that matter through the Component or Composite input, the image quality is really horrible compare to the digital inputs. Not to mention the HC does NOT support 1080p through the Component input jack.

I've already send the monitor back to Dell after doing some research online for an adequate all-around gaming panel with good quality and came across the one monitor which has very little exposure about it even if you search it on google.

The Gateway FHD2400 which you can pick up and your local B&M eletronic stores is, 24", 1920x1200, supports 1080p through DVI, Component, AND HDMI!, No annoying inverse ghosting with grey backgrounds, no tearing during 1080p Video playback using the PS3 Blu-ray, Component input quality is way better compared to the 2407-HC and, [drum-roll please], it has 92% Wide color gamut!

The user also has the option to turn on the Overdrive through the monitor OSD to increase the response time to 3ms. Without Overdrive or "Ultra Reponse" as they called it, the typical G-to-G response time is 5ms which is plenty adequate for anything else I've been using thus far. I don't feel the need to turn on the overdrive at all.

During gaming sessions of TF2 and other Source engine titles there is no more distrations from the inverse ghosting so now I can actually enjoy my games instead of paying attention to the inverse ghosting all the time... Bioshock was another title that suffered greatly to this issue that I came across.

A few things to note about this monitor is that it's a TN panel, I know right? TN AND 92% COLOR GAMUT? CRAZY! So the viewing angle is a little worse than the 2407-HC due to the panel type, but since I'm the sole user of this monitor that doesn't bother me.

Also the monitor has a Glossy screen surface which some people might actually prefer or they might not as opposed to the matte screen surface on the 2407-HC. One last difference is the FHD2400 does not have the media card ports but has 4 USB2.0 ports instead.

After using the FHD2400 I felt that it was a alot better gaming panel compared to the 2407-HC and I'm glad I've returned my 2407-HC. So if your main goal with this 24" panel is to be using it for games, I suggest looking at the FHD2400 as an alternative choice.

Gateway FHD2400

Specs:
24"
TN Panel
1920x1200
16:10
400cd/m2 Brightness
1000:1 Contrast
160 Degrees Viewing Angle
3ms Response Time (w/o Overdrive 5ms)
16.7 Million Colors
92% Color Gamut
D-Sub VGA, DVI, Composite, S-Video, Component, HDMI
4 USB 2.0 slots

Resolutions:
720x400
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x1024
1400x1050
1440x900
1680x1050
1600x1200 (Not listed in manual spec, but I tried it and it works with a 8800GTX)
1920x1200

Product Link HERE

Product Manual HERE

EDIT: SP

BTW, The speaker bar is NOT included as opposed to the picture shown in the BB product page.

I just picked this monitor up a few days ago. I was confused because BB said that they had them in stock yet none were on display. Turns out they had them all out of the way where you couldn't see them.

It feels like a long journey to this point. I started off by buying the LG246, which is a wonderful monitor, however it didn't have many inputs and a slight overscan via component, which made me return that monitor. Then I got the Westy L2410NM, which is another great monitor, especially for the price. Unfortunately, the lack of height adjustment, and a few small problems made me return that monitor. I can still recommend the Westy with a clear conscious. For the price I think it is a rather nice monitor.

I read the last FHD2400 thread, and on a whim I went to BB and got one. I was pretty sure that I was going to return this monitor because I was scared that this monitor was going to be a rehash of the FPD2485W. I tried out a HPW2207 for half a day (TN, Glossy) but I was disappointed with it.

I couldn't have been more wrong. This is an amazing monitor. I think the Pro's really outweigh the cons. It is a TN panel, but I think it is implemented very well. I believe that there is some color shifting when I slouch, but It does not bother me.

There is a boatload of inputs. I hooked up a 360 via VGA and I think it does 1080p perfectly. I finally got my $5 HDMI cable and hooked my PS3 up. I think that also does 1080p flawlessly too. I am a little confused as to what settings I should set for my Wii. I hooked it up through component but I am not sure what a pixel perfect 480p 16:9 image should look like. The Wii does not look good on most computer component inputs, but I can say that the Gateway is one of the better ones. If anyone gets this monitor, please be sure to turn down the sharpness. If the sharpness is up too high, vertical banding will occur. This is something I also observed with the LG246 when I had it for a brief stint.

I wasn't a fan of glossy panels until now. It really does make the colors more vivid. I went back and played Pac-Man CE and liked how neon the neon looked.

And a final note. The control menu is rather nice. The touch sensitive buttons take a little bit to get used to but work quite well.

This monitor is a TN but I think it's a winner. If anyone is interested in a 22", I think they have a 22" version of the monitor. It is similar in most respects, but I don't think it includes composite and s-video.

I checked the monitor out last night when I was at Best Buy and I'm about to turn my old 24" in for it. The old Gateway's inverse ghosting has finally pissed me off, and after looking at this monitor I'm convinced that I need it. It's a pretty sweet looking monitor and I also wasn't a fan of the whole glossy thing, but I got over it fast when I was looking at that monitor.

Did anyone get the four year service plan for those you picked it up at BestBuy? I still have a few days to add it, but it costs $80, and so far my FHD2400 doesn't seem to have any pixel issues and is working fine. Is it worth it? Also, anyone know a good program to test for dead/stuck pixels (just to be sure)?

Furious Salesman, could you also only get it to display 480p at 720x480 for both 4:3 and 16:9? I have Playstation 3 that I was testing in 480p mode over HDMI, but it looks to be using 720x480 for both 4:3 and 16:9 progressive scan when in 480p. For 100% correct display, 4:3 would need 640x480 and 853x480 is needed to display 16:9 anamorphic wide-screen. And 853x480 is the same display mode as the Wii for wide-screen games and wide-screen DVDs.

Can't get it to work though.

I did not get the service plan. My unit has no pixel errors. There is only some slight back light bleed.

But how would I go around testing 480P 16:9 anamorphic?

Right now I am working off of subjective impressions. I only know if something is 1080P on 360 and PS3, is because I know what certain images should look like. For example, Bioshock's loading screen is a good indicator because of its intricate borders. (someone taught me that trick in the LG246 thread). But I have no idea what an anamorphic resolution looks like.

I know that in the Benq fp241w/z thread people were able to load images for specific resolutions to check if a console or what not was showing a resolution properly. I am not sure how to do that for any of my consoles.

If someone leads me to directions, I will try and test them out.

This is a link to the previous thread dedicated for the FHD, for anyone who is just seeing a thread about this monitor for the first time.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1229510&highlight=gateway

Hey Seraph. I think I may have an answer. I found the website I was looking for.

http://www.tigerdave.com/

If you go to the wide screen section and click on test patterns you will find lots of things you can use.

If you compare 856*480 to 1920*1080, they are almost the same. I think you can achieve something similar to 480p anamorphic in 1080. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Do people really buy those horrendous speaker bars?:confused: ... I mean if you're going to spend 500+ dollars on a monitor, you probably won't mind spending a little more to get a decent set of speakers.:cool:

Furious Salesman, to test for 480P 16:9 anamorphic, just set your Wii to progressive scan mode with 16:9 display. If the image looks compressed horizontally, then it's not being display in the correct aspect ratio. On the PS3 in 480p and the monitor set to 1:1, the image is show as what looks to be 720x480 for both 4:3 and 16:9 in 480p mode.

GTOViper, good point. I'm using this set with the FHD2400 and PS3 using digital optical cable. Awesome sound and massive sub. :cool:

http://www.provantage.com/logitech-970115-0403~7LGTS00N.htm

I really hate to keep bumping this to the top.

I had a new question. I was wondering if other guys are having any problems with back light bleed? I prefer a pure black background and I can see a little bit of light through the left, top, and right sides of the monitor. Otherwise, I don't have any dead pixels or any real serious problems. I was wondering if I should do an exchange.

I keep wanting to take pictures but I can't seem to take any good ones. sigh.

I just ordered 2 of these from Circuit City. Got to love the 24mo no intrest. Im picking them up today. Im replaceing a Dell 2405fpw. Ill let you guys know how I like them. Im sure I will after reading this thread and a few other reviews. :D

I just ordered 2 of these from Circuit City. Got to love the 24mo no intrest. Im picking them up today. Im replaceing a Dell 2405fpw. Ill let you guys know how I like them. Im sure I will after reading this thread and a few other reviews. :D

Please do. I was leaning towards the BenQ but this looks mighty tempting at about $100 cheaper.

Please do. I was leaning towards the BenQ but this looks mighty tempting at about $100 cheaper.

Well I just finished setting my monitors. So far they are great. I played BF2 and also World in Conflict and as far as I can tell there is no lag or ghosting. The colors are amazing and there is also no backlight bleeding. I took a few pictures for now and will post more later. Enjoy.

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

Two units and no backlight bleeding? Are you sure? I might have to go back to BB and exchange. My backlight bleeding is starting to bother me when I play on my PS3

Those Pictures are completely awesome. Mine turn out terribly. Can you take more pics of a black background?

Another note. Has anyone used the WII on this monitor? I don't think the image shows up correctly. I also get a weird problem where all the black is washed out to a grey color. Other than that this monitor works the best with the WII compared to all the other ones I have had.

Two units and no backlight bleeding? Are you sure? I might have to go back to BB and exchange. My backlight bleeding is starting to bother me when I play on my PS3

Those Pictures are completely awesome. Mine turn out terribly. Can you take more pics of a black background?

Another note. Has anyone used the WII on this monitor? I don't think the image shows up correctly. I also get a weird problem where all the black is washed out to a grey color. Other than that this monitor works the best with the WII compared to all the other ones I have had.

Here you go. I just put a blck backround in XP and also the movie Shooter. Plus a few shots of UT3. A few questions for you are what is your brightness set at and also what picture mode are you on?

DSC01190.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

My brightness and contrast? Going off on memory, I believe that my brightness is set at 30 and contrast is set at 50.

Thank's for the pics, They are incredible. I am definitely going to exchange this monitor and hope for the best.

My settings are 40 and 50 very close to yours. If your not happy take it back. Good luck with the new one.

I have backlight bleeding. I'll update the settings to yours. I don't mind the bleeding so much, though, because it's only visible during pure black screens.

I have backlight bleeding. I'll update the settings to yours. I don't mind the bleeding so much, though, because it's only visible during pure black screens.

Also check your color mode. Mine is set at cool color. Just to make sure everything is the same.

What is a good way to test for backlight bleed? The FHD2400 is my first LCD so I'm not 100% sure what to look for. I already checked for dead/stuck pixel, but there didn't seem to be any. I have a full black screen up now using 1920x1080 with PS3, and I see some white along the left and right sides, however, I might not be looking at the LCD head on so the display looks white when you don't look head on.

What is a good way to test for backlight bleed? The FHD2400 is my first LCD so I'm not 100% sure what to look for. I already checked for dead/stuck pixel, but there didn't seem to be any. I have a full black screen up now using 1920x1080 with PS3, and I see some white along the left and right sides, however, I might not be looking at the LCD head on so the display looks white when you don't look head on.

If you are looking at it head on and you see a diffrence in the darkness of the screen around the edges then it has some backlight bleeding. But just so you know 99% LCD's do it in some way. Just some are worse than others.

I matched my settings to what you listed. Cool theme, 40 brightness, 50 contrast, and set 75 for saturation and 50 tint/hue. What do you have for saturation and tint/hue?

Anyway, I then moved the monitor around to get a better head on view and it doesn't look to be that white anywhere when head on, I mean, everything looks overall to be the same darkness. (from what I can tell)

Could you also suggest a good way to look for dead/stuck pixels? I set a display to full black and then white, but nothing looked to show up. However, I'm not sure how well a pixel shows up when stuck or dead.

DBZ33, do you know buy chance how to set the display for 480P 16:9 anamorphic? (853x480)

Also DBZ33 did you buy from bestbuy? Did you get the four year service plan?

Thanks

I will likely get the 4-year plan, simply because I can return for any reason and I plan on using this monitor a lot since it actually does everything any gamer would need it to. And if I ever decide the stuck pixels or the backlight bleeding is too much, then I will exchange. I already have a doubled warranty for buying it on my AmEx card, though. Still waiting on that speaker bar...

My backlight bleeding is most apparent on the left and ride sides. Dead pixels on TN panels are always white, so just use a black background. Stuck pixels can be found by using some color besides black (or something similarly dark) and looking around. I have noticed that most stuck pixels on this panel are not visible except from certain angles.

Well I stopped by 2 Best Buy's tonight, both had them instock but none on display :(

I really want to see it first hand before I pick one up, BB said they would set them up sometime this weekend probably.

Thanks for the pics, I'm really liking it so far.

I got mine from Circuit City and the also had it in stock but not on display. The are tring to get rid of the older model first.

I exchanged mine today for another one at BB. This time I got one with no backlight bleed. I feel so relieved now. Now if I can only get my stupid camera working...

edit.....looks like I was mistaken...there is some bleed on the left side now. Much better than before. Probably not going to return this one. It's a uphill battle.

I exchanged mine today for another one at BB. This time I got one with no backlight bleed. I feel so relieved now. Now if I can only get my stupid camera working...

edit.....looks like I was mistaken...there is some bleed on the left side now. Much better than before. Probably not going to return this one. It's a uphill battle.

They all will have alittle backlight bleed. Just enjoy, its a great monitor. :)

I bought this LCD yesterday. At first I was completely in love. PS3 and Playstation 2 games look fantastic. I had my PS2 hooked up via component, and I was blown away. Definitely the nicest picture I've seen from a PS2 in recent years. My 46" Samsung 1080p TV doesn't come close.

However, and this is why I'm returning it, for PC/Mac use, this is a poor display. The text takes on a sort-of blurry look. I'm not sure if it's because of the coating the display uses, but compared to my wife's Samsung 24" 1080p LCD 245BW, it doesn't come close. And you can't even adjust the sharpness of DVI on this new Gateway! Perhaps that would have helped. You can adjust sharpness on the Samsung.

Also, and this maybe perfectly subjective, but the glossy display tended to give me a little eye-strain after some use, whereas the matte Samsung was very comfortable on the eyes, albeit without the pop of the Gateway.

It's a shame, really. The Gateway really is a great-looking display. Fancy-pants touch buttons and menus, all the options you could ask for. Sadly, its performance is not up to par.

FYI, my text issues were apparent on my home computer via DVI, and my wife's IBM T61p via DVI (docking station).

Guess I'll try that LG 24" today. I really want component! :)

There is something mysterious about this forum. It's about the fuzzy v sharp debate. I personally think that text on this screen is very sharp.

I think the LG246 is wonderful monitor. I owned one for about 10 days before I returned it. However, if you are looking at purchasing the LG24, you should be aware that there are some people in the LG thread that claim that the LG text quality is really fuzzy.

Does sharpness work for anything? I'm only able to use HDMI with PS3 at the moment, but sharpness is not able to be changed. Not building my computer until January and I'm not able to use anything but HDMI at this time. Is sharpness able to be changed with anything? How bad is text blur on PC? Text looks sharp on PS3.

The Windows text on this screen IS blurred slightly, but depending on what you're used to, you won't even notice it. That's probably the deciding factor: what you're used to. If you had a Samsung 245BW next to it, you'd really be able to tell the difference. The Samsung lets you adjust sharpness over DVI.

I think the Gateway let me adjust the sharpness over component, but I can't remember. I LOVED how Playstation 2 looked with the Gateway. Just fabulous. Now if they'd just release a firmware to allow sharpness adjustments over VGA/DVI/HDMI, we'd be sorted.

My last monitor was a CRT so I'm not sure how this will look in text sharpness until I boot with a PC.

Also WilliamG, did you try to play and PS2 games with 480p mode in 16:9 display? If so, did you get it to display in wide-screen (853x480)? I could only get it to display 720x480 for both 4:3 and 16:9 in 480p mode.

are the people thats talking about the text sharpness sure that they have Clear-type adjusted properly?

My last monitor was a CRT so I'm not sure how this will look in text sharpness until I boot with a PC.

Also WilliamG, did you try to play and PS2 games with 480p mode in 16:9 display? If so, did you get it to display in wide-screen (853x480)? I could only get it to display 720x480 for both 4:3 and 16:9 in 480p mode.

Yes, I played God of War 480p/16:9. It looked fine to my eyes. But maybe I was wrong? I returned the display so I can't say for sure...

are the people thats talking about the text sharpness sure that they have Clear-type adjusted properly?

Yes, I used my wife's T61p with dock + DVI which looks stunning on her Samsung 245BW. Not stunning with the Gateway.

Struck out again today at BB. Still none on display. I asked the guy and he's like "Yeah we may never put that one on display"

Um... ok.

Then he points to another and says this one's similar.

So I ask if I come in and want to look at a Sony TV, would you show me a piece of shit JVC and tell me it's 'similar'.

He had no reply :eek:

I hate BB but I have giftcards to burn there.

There's no restocking fee so I guess I'll just pick one up tomorrow and see what's what. Circuit City didn't have one out either but that's expected as they're even more worthless than BB.

Yes, I played God of War 480p/16:9. It looked fine to my eyes. But maybe I was wrong? I returned the display so I can't say for sure...

Do you recall setting the monitor to anything other then 1:1 with over scan off? I mean, yes it will display 480p/16:9, however, unless you recall how you did it, it seems to be at 720x480 rather then 853x480. Meaning the display will be horizontally compressed.

On another note, I found a good dead pixel program and my FHD2400 does indeed have a dead pixel (found one so far, but I'm sure there are more) and some backlight bleed. So since I still have a few days left on the 14day return limit, I'm going to exchange for a new one at BestBuy (better not try and give me a hard time). You would think you wouldn't have to worry about these kinds of things when spending $600... :mad:

Also, when using VGA did does anyone else notice light snow/noise in the picture?

Back