Gateway FHD2400

Any updates from those of you that have the latest version regarding BLB? Its been a few weeks now, is the BLB finally creeping in or have they actually fixed the problem?

i've had my monitor for about a month now. i had throughly researched the monitor and knew the risks of BLB. so as soon as i got it @ best buy i took it over to the geek squad station and had them hook it up so i cud look @ it(no point making a trip back to switch it out) it seemed fine. took it home and turned down the brightness to 0 (still plenty bright enough) and have had no problems so far. *knocks on wood*. im glad i havent had any problems. i love this thing

i have a question about the speaker bar? i have this monitor but am currently running audio from my xbox and satelite box through my laptop speakers. which is very inconvenient. i know the HDMI cable carries audio to the monitor and through the speaker bar attachment. but r there RCA or 3.5mm jack input ports on the speakerbar also? my xbox is hooked up via VGA and my satelite box is by s-video. my current plans are to hook up my ps3 and laptop(occasionally) by HDMI with a switcher. so audio on those is fine. but i need audio inputs for xbox and tv box. thanks.

theres 137 ppl viewing the displays forum and theres only 3 "active" threads in the past 4 hours... cant anyone answer my question?

I have only had mine for 1.5 weeks I have bright turned down to 5 the blacks are really black! If there is NO light coming into the room at all you will see a very, and I mean very little light coming through. But any TN panel will do this. This panels black are darker than any HP or Samsung I compared it to. And yes I know the FHD2400 and the W2408h are Samsung TN panels. But some how the colors are represented better in my opinion..... The BenQ is the only one I wasn't able to see to compare!

Right, but its already been established that a very, very low brightness can still damage your monitor very, very slowly. Im asking the the people who have the latest version from March (I think it was) if their panels are suffering the progressive BLB issue.

I'm not sure whether mine is normal or not, I got it last week from NewEgg.

Notice the gamma changes from top to bottom of the image, making the pattern more defined at the top and washed out a little at the bottom:
patterndk6.jpg

This shows up when viewing text:
textrp8.jpg

This is plain white:
whitegy5.jpg

I'll do a black one at night when the room is dark. The top-to-bottom gradient is a little annoying, but not as bad as it looks.

I'm not sure whether mine is normal or not, I got it last week from NewEgg.

Notice the gamma changes from top to bottom of the image, making the pattern more defined at the top and washed out a little at the bottom:

i noticed that to on mine, i don't notice it when the the height of the monitor is a little lower than eye level (not center of screen, but an inch from the top) try tilting the top of the monitor towards you slightly.

So I picked up a fhd2400 2 weeks ago from BB for $480. Everything looked great for the first couple of days, then I started noticing BLB. The BLB appeared around all 4 edges of the monitor and continued to get worst until I finally brought it back to BB right before the 14 day period ended and exchanged it for another fhd2400. By the way, BB geek squad actually turned on the monitor to make sure there was BLB, but it was so noticeable that he gave the clerk the thumbs up for the exchange the second he turned it on.

After going through the many posts in this forum (and man, I wish I had come here before purchasing a monitor), I set the brightness to 0 right out of the box on my second fhd2400. First 3 days, everything looked great (small 1-pixel wide strip of bright pixels along left and bottom edge, but only noticeable if looking for it). Then on the 4th day, BLB started appearing again especially along the bottom, and now it is getting worst every day! Ah! So annoyed by this monitor. Even on 0 brightness, the BLB is coming back.

Anyway, does anyone know the monitor return policy of BB? Can I take this back within the 14 day period and return it for a refund? I'm interested in getting a BenQ g2400W (or probably the new D version), but BB doesn't carry it and so I can't just exchange my fhd2400 for it. Currently, the BLB isn't so bad to say that I can tell BB that the product is defective, but I'm sure it will only get worst and I don't want to miss the 14 day window. Can I just tell them I don't like the monitor? I also bought the 4 yr service plan and would like to return that too.

By the way, both fhd2400's I've had were the Mar 2008 model. And also, I've noticed the BB web site no longer carries the fhd2400. Maybe they've received too many complaints.

Dude, return the monitor ASAP and get the BenQ V2400 direct from BenQ site. There is a sale going on and you can get $90 off.

Can I just tell them I don't like the monitor? I also bought the 4 yr service plan and would like to return that too.

Bought one and returned it to BB ( a week later) and told them I wasn't happy with the picture. Got a full refund. I didn't get the service plan so I wouldn't know how they handle that.

Anyway, does anyone know the monitor return policy of BB? Can I take this back within the 14 day period and return it for a refund? I'm interested in getting a BenQ g2400W (or probably the new D version), but BB doesn't carry it and so I can't just exchange my fhd2400 for it. Currently, the BLB isn't so bad to say that I can tell BB that the product is defective, but I'm sure it will only get worst and I don't want to miss the 14 day window. Can I just tell them I don't like the monitor? I also bought the 4 yr service plan and would like to return that too.

If it's defective in your eyes, it's defective.

I believe if you return the product they will refund the service plan... not too sure how they handle LCD's. I purchased a Sony laptop a few years ago and returned it a week later and received a full refund for both the laptop and service plan.

Was the FHD with BLB problems the latest revision from march? Some posts talked about how they werent having the BLB problem but no one has posted results after a few weeks of use.

Was the FHD with BLB problems the latest revision from march? Some posts talked about how they werent having the BLB problem but no one has posted results after a few weeks of use.

Yes, I can confirm the latest March revision still has bad BLB.
I returned my first fhd2400 after 2 weeks because of BLB, but the BLB on it was bad by the end of the first week. My second fhd2400, which I kept at 0 brightness from the moment I turned it on, started having BLB on the 4th day. I'll be returning it to BB this weekend.

I really hate to have to take this monitor back. Games and movies look amazing on it, and I love all of the inputs (pc through dvi, xbox360 through hdmi, and wii through component). But the BLB absolutely ruins the experience.

Some other gripes I have about this monitor:
-When using the monitor with my pc, I hate the glossiness. I much prefer a matte screen, but that's just personal preference.
-No matter how I adjust the height/tilt, the top of the screen appears darker than the bottom. If I stand up and look down at the top of the screen, I can confirm that the top isn't really any darker than the bottom, but when sitting right in front of it there is no way to avoid the difference in brightness.
-I have to keep it at 0 brightness to avoid BLB? First of all, I kept the brightness at 0 and it still bled. Even if that had worked, 0 is bright enough to work with, but not nearly as bright as I would like to have it, especially when playing games. No one should pay +-$500 and be forced to keep their monitor at 0 brightness.
-Xbox360 over vga had a color problem. There was a weird green haze over the screen, especially over white areas. I switched to hdmi which worked perfectly.
-Screen doesn't go to sleep when losing component signal. In fact, when I lose component, the side buttons don't light up again to allow me to choose another input. I have to power cycle to be able to switch inputs.

I'm looking forward to trying a BenQ monitor. Still trying to decide between the well tested G2400W and the new G2400WD and V2400W.

after 5 weeks of use I only had slight BLB at first but now I don't have any, maybe I'm lucky.

brightness; 52
contrast; 49
red; 82
green; 83
blue; 90
gamma; 10

Okay, here are the 2 week pictures I promised:

Just freshly on:
blb_power_on_thb.jpg

Scary, isn't it?

Full Image Picture (Horizontal line at the bottom is the hidden task bar indicator):
blb_full_img.jpg

1 hour later:
blb_2w_thb.jpg

For reference, 48 hour picture taken on 4/9:
blb_48h_thb.jpg

The people who had backlighting problems in the past twenty post, did you keep it on like for 48hours like Deeghan and notice a different in backlighting? Like Deeghan's post backlighting is very bad when first turned on but after a little while its gets much better.

Well, I was able to acquire a floor model FHD-2400 at Circuit City for $369, and I'm really liking this monitor. Unfortunately, they didn't have the software CD that was supposed to come with it. So, is anyone able to throw up an ISO of the Gateway CD on RapidShare, or some other file hosting service? I've called Gateway, and they not only don't have the calibration software available for download, but they don't have the CD available to send to me. This is of course what happens when a company gets so large that it outgrows common sense... :rolleyes:

Well, I was able to acquire a floor model FHD-2400 at Circuit City for $369, and I'm really liking this monitor. Unfortunately, they didn't have the software CD that was supposed to come with it. So, is anyone able to throw up an ISO of the Gateway CD on RapidShare, or some other file hosting service? I've called Gateway, and they not only don't have the calibration software available for download, but they don't have the CD available to send to me. This is of course what happens when a company gets so large that it outgrows common sense... :rolleyes:

Check your PM.

Proud new owner of the FHD2400 here.

You would not believe the price I got on it...

$240 cash (on Craigslist), Brand new sealed in the box with BB replacement warranty. They guy decided to buy a 30" apple display so he wanted to get rid of the gateway quick. I'll post a pic for proof later... :cool:

Thanks for the file!

Man, this monitor just gets better and better. I had a Samsung 971p that I had purchased from CUSA along with their TAP replacement warranty. Well, CUSA went belly up around here, the 971p just died and wouldn't power up, and so I called the folks handling the TAP's since CUSA was gone. They said they would either send a check to replace the monitor, or a prepaid UPS tag. I got the tag via email, but due to an insane work schedule hadn't had time to send the monitor back to them. Then out of the blue, CUSA sends me a check for $350 to cover the monitor. So I used that to buy the FHD2400. I figured I'm coming out great and CUSA isn't needing the monitor back, so I'll check with Samsung to see what it would cost to repair the 971p. I was going to give it to my wife to use, as it's much nicer than what she is using now. Well, Samsung says it's in warranty, and they are sending me a replacement 971p! Scha-wing! My wife just hit the monitor jackpot! LOL

Sometimes life is good... :D

Maybe I am not picky, or I don't notice it that much, but I bought my own last year Nov. and haven't had any problems with it. The viewing angles I am not particularly fond of but it has been great thus far. Buying my first LCD was such a pain and it was scary at the same time. Listening to some of you show pictures of a monitor's performance and then here some (such as me) say that they are enjoying it..it was really frustrating. And there are others who say...just get the BenQ or this or that...and you go and read some of the reviews on that and it's the same story..or it's just too expensive...

Anyway, I like my monitor. I am not at home right now but would be willing to see if it has the same problems some of you are highlighting on the newer ones. Peace.

How is the Black Light Bleed on yours? It sounds like you've had it for a while, would be interesting to find out if the progressive BLB isnt affecting you.

I just picked this up a few days ago, still not sold on it as I'm not sure if glossy is where it's at for me.

Hello all. I have just signed up for these boards after reading them for a while.

I have read this whole thread and was hoping that the FHD2400 I had just bought didn't/wasn't going to suffer from the issues that were plaguing people in this thread.

I bought the FHD2400 from best buy for about 479+ tax which I though was a very good price for a monitor of this size. And am very very happy with it.

I have had this monitor for 2 weeks now and have taken some pictures tonight to show you guys some minor backlight bleeding if any that I have when I play games or when I first turn on the monitor.

My camera was acting funny though and I had to take several several pictures to get ones that represented what my eyes saw. What I mean by this is that I would get pictures of like the black gateway screen when you first turn it on that would be almost all blue in my camera even though to my eye it was solid black. It also did this on another shot I'll show you in this thread that I retook zoomed in pictures of the same spots showing the blue from the big picture and the apparent backlight bleed was gone.

I looked on my monitor and it appears to be the march revision so that may help people that are interested in buying it.

I thought I was getting some progressive BLB like some people are experiencing but I think I was just forcing myself to believe that. I have my settings at this currently......

Brightness 30
Contrast 47
Red 100
Green 100
Blue 100

I thought I had done some adjustments to the RGB but apparently they went back to 100 on all. If anyone can recommend a good software calibration kit (this eztune shit that gateway includes is garbage in my opinion) I'd love you.

One other thing.

I have 2 weeks to take this monitor back and am wondering if it is worth the hassle to return it and get the Benq FP241W. I have read some good reviews and read most of the 8million page thread that accompanies the FP241W and was kind of impressed. That link I listed says right at the top that it's the new revision with the 1:1 pixel mapping and I'm assuming that it has the overscan options that were lacking in the first run of them... anyways. I am torn between the Benq and this Gateway that I have. The thing that is killing me is that ncixus is charging a rip off of 54 dollars shipping for that monitor and I can't afford 600 bucks, it's pushing to go up to 550. If anyone has any opinion on this I'd appreciate it.

These pictures were taken at the previously mentioned settings at which point I checked the settings and realized I had it at 30 brightness and then turned it down to zero lmfao.

I was going to put an image up but all the pictures are way too big for the forum and anyone running less than 24" is going to get screwed up with horizontal scrolling.

Let me excuse my camera, maybe it's my shaky hand or me having problems trying to get a good shot of this shiny monitor that reflected what I really saw but in person, the pictures are better but these are pretty decent representations of them.

Here's a list of the pictures.....

If you'd like to just look at the folder on my server then please go to http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400 and look there but here's a list of most of them right now...........

http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1552.jpg
http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1553.jpg
http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1554.jpg (hardly any BLB)
http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1557.jpg
http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1560.jpg (slight BLB but it doesn't look that bad with my eyes)
http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1565.jpg (there's that BLB again that I don't see when I'm looking at the screen, it's about 1/4-1/2 that bad.)
http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1566.jpg (bottom showing little to no BLB)
http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1568.jpg

Fear SP Demo

http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1577.jpg (a picture showing that even in the dark areas I'm getting to see detail. It looked very good in-game)
http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1579.jpg (This picture is one that I was talking about. See how in the top right and bottom left it's showing what I consider to be an awful amount of BLB? Well check out the next two zoomed in pictures of those areas and see what I really see when I was looking at it..........)

http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1580.jpg

and

http://www.unholysyndicate.com/images/FHD2400/IMG_1581.jpg

Any feedback is welcome as to what I should do between the two monitors or on the BLB that I seem to have lucked out against. I'm just worried that it will crop up in a few months and then I won't have a warranty from BB. I plan on buying it maybe but 70 bucks for a PSP sucks. I don't want them fixing shit....... unless the BLB is not fixable and it warrants me getting just a replacement anyways.

Thanks again in advance.

Hey Obsessed,

If the blb isn't bothering you and you like the monitor, then go ahead and keep it. The 1565.jpg picture makes the blb looks like more than just minor. If you've had the monitor for 2 weeks already then it's already too late to return it to BB (check the back of your receipt for the 14 day rule on monitors).

I had this monitor before (you can search for my posts in this thread) and I hated the blb. I ended up returning the monitor to BB and just received a BenQ G2400WD from benq.com. I'm guessing you're considering the FP241W as a replacement because it has the plethora of inputs like the fhd2400, but at least for me it was too expensive. If you end up wanting to change monitors, I suggest you give the G2400WD or the V2400W a looksie. They still have hdmi, dvi, and vga and are much cheaper than the FP.

Yeah that picture really makes it look like there's BLB but if you look at 1554 you'll see that there's hardly any at all, it is noticeable but it's not nearly as bad as some of the people's on here.

As far as the returning the monitor I asked when I bought it and then I called twice more, they all said 30 days. I buy enough shit from there that if that's what they told me that's what they are sticking to. So I have 2 more weeks to try it out. Maybe my best buy is a little more lenient as far as the returns go.

I really only need DVI, VGA and HDMI cause I have a pc, 360 and ps3. So do either of the monitors you listed come with all those and how's the gaming/viewing on them etc for all three systems?

Thanks in advance.

BTW:

I was looking at that monitor because it was a real 8bit panel and had great viewing angles and it seemed like a very good monitor overall. The additional inputs are just bonus as I only need the three inputs.

Hey Obsessed,

If the blb isn't bothering you and you like the monitor, then go ahead and keep it. The 1565.jpg picture makes the blb looks like more than just minor. If you've had the monitor for 2 weeks already then it's already too late to return it to BB (check the back of your receipt for the 14 day rule on monitors).

I had this monitor before (you can search for my posts in this thread) and I hated the blb. I ended up returning the monitor to BB and just received a BenQ G2400WD from benq.com. I'm guessing you're considering the FP241W as a replacement because it has the plethora of inputs like the fhd2400, but at least for me it was too expensive. If you end up wanting to change monitors, I suggest you give the G2400WD or the V2400W a looksie. They still have hdmi, dvi, and vga and are much cheaper than the FP.

Sorry guys the images should be back online later today. Those guys at my hosting didn't send me a renewal email and the domain lapsed and i payed for it but it still has to get turned back on sometime today.

NEWays sorry about that.

I really only need DVI, VGA and HDMI cause I have a pc, 360 and ps3. So do either of the monitors you listed come with all those and how's the gaming/viewing on them etc for all three systems?

Both the G2400WD and V2400W have DVI, VGA, and HDMI. I can only comment on the picture quality of the G as I don't own a V. I've been running pc over dvi at 1920x1200 and xbox360 over hdmi at 1080p. Gaming on both the pc and 360 is great. I didn't even have to adjust the colors. Blacks come through as black. I think the viewing angles are pretty good. I'm almost always directly in front of the monitor, but I tested playing a little off the horizontal and it was still good.

There is a slight bug with the monitor that when playing a console over 1080p at 1:1 aspect, the top and bottom black border bars have some moving lines running through them that make them look a little lighter than black. If you check out the G2400W thread, this is known as the black bar flicker problem. I don't notice it while playing, and you can only see the little lines if you get up close to the screen, so it's not an issue for me.

One thing I miss about the FHD2400 is that movies and games really popped off the screen on it. Absolutely gorgeous. This might have been due to the glossy screen or maybe a better color gamut. However, that same glossiness made game/movie watching of dark scenes difficult unless the room was dark. I prefer a matte screen, especially for regular pc use.

The Backlight bleed on my first FHD2400 was so bad that I had to exchange it at Best Buy. The second one had initial bleed in the lower left corner, but everywhere else looked great. Now, 3 days later, it looks just as bad as the other one. Gateway knows this is a problem, and will do nothing about it. I will never buy another monitor from them again. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

How do you know that Gateway knows it is a problem? Do you have a source that says so?

This was never Gateway's fault nor could they do anything about it. It's the design of how Samsung was printing panels. Depending if your panel came from one of three factories, one printed PERFECT panels everytime while another medicore but the last had horrible black light and even response issues.

In March 2008, Gateway seemed to move all to one factories production and have no bleeding issues. Models before vary. I bought one last month and it is flawless.

So a week now and the only backlight bleeding I have noticed was on the bottom edge in the Ninja Gaiden II demo...but it isn't present on other games. So...happy as clams. HDMI is gorgeous. Went from a 1024x786 7 year old monitor to this visual orgy of color and clarity.

Tried this monitor for a week.. just returned it at Best Buy today. The vertical viewing angles were absolutely horrible, and there seemed to be some pretty heavy backlight bleeding as well. Shame, I really liked the glossy finish and nice assortment of input options.

In March 2008, Gateway seemed to move all to one factories production and have no bleeding issues. Models before vary. I bought one last month and it is flawless.

I returned two March 2008 models due to heavy blb that beg to differ. Glad your monitor came out well, at least it shows that not every fhd2400 has blb problems.

I returned two March 2008 models due to heavy blb that beg to differ. Glad your monitor came out well, at least it shows that not every fhd2400 has blb problems.

Its a crap shoot, i bought 2 both perfect and my buddy bought one and blb was terrible on his.

Ya, I just noticed this new fhd2401 on BB's Website as well.

Looks like the response time on this new model is 2ms instead of 3ms on the fhd2400, as well as the contrast ration being 2000:1 as compared to 1000:1.

The stand does appear to be cheaper as well, but I'd be interested to see how this new model performs! I just bought a fhd2400 last week, so if this new monitor is better...I'd be interested to give it a try.

Missing some of the inputs and does not seem to have the usb ports anymore also... =/ but we can hope this model does fix the backlighting problems.

Back