Gateway FHD2400

I received my replacement FH2400 monitor today.I reported the problem 3 business days ago. Kudos to Gateway for fast shipping.

I IMMEDIATELY turned the brightness down to zero on all inputs.

Contrast is on 35 on all inputs - should I lower the contrast even more to prevent blacklight bleed issues in the future?

Good luck avoiding the BLB with this one. Does Gateway pay return shipping?

To emphasize that it's not just ONE user experiencing the problem... I drove all the way to another state to get my replacement... Tried a different lot/revision number, and STILL had the same problem... but WORSE!

The shear fact that they finally put up an "EXCUSE" page on BLB, means they are experiencing a TON of problems with it...

Gateway is a POS, owned by eMachines, a crappy company owns an even crapier company, 2 much crap together doesnt work.

Actually Acer owns Gateway. Gateway owns the emachines brand - not the inverse.

Through all my backlight bleeding woes/replacements - this monitor still kicks the ass of 99% of other LCD monitors out there.

i have an issue where dvi doesn't pick up any signal until window boot up. if anyone else have the same problem and found a fix please let me know

I agree with onegoodsoul, make sure your video card firmware is up to date. While you're in the support area, do a problem search, maybe simply using the keywords "DOS DVI". Here's a sample tech note I found on the ATI site that indicates they have seen the problem:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=25682

Also, this article offers some suggestions, including upgrading your system BIOS, and handling conflicts with USB that can affect DVI video under DOS:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=370

If all that fails, maybe your PC is outputting a horizontal or vertical frequency during the BIOS/DOS phase that the Gateway DVI input can't display. Not sure how you find out what that initial mode is, or whether you can change it if it's outside the limits of the monitor, but the modes the monitor will work at, and which ones work on the DVI input, are listed in your manual on page 26. I do know from previous posts not all PCs have this problem with the 2400, so hoping it can be resolved on your system.

Wish I could be of more help, but I'm on a Mac, and thus don't have a video mode outside my OS... (sorry, couldn't resist!) :D

I received my replacement FH2400 monitor today.I reported the problem 3 business days ago. Kudos to Gateway for fast shipping.

I IMMEDIATELY turned the brightness down to zero on all inputs.

Contrast is on 35 on all inputs - should I lower the contrast even more to prevent blacklight bleed issues in the future?

I'm going to have to do the same before my one year warranty is up as I have really bad BLB as well.

And I'll be sure to use zero for brightness from the start (I left the default brightness on too long). Using zero now though.

Also, I've always used the default 50 contrast. I just tried 35 contrast, but it is too dark.

Did you get a refurbished model or a brand new one? What is the manufacture date of the new one?

Last, did GateWay say BLB is a known issue with the FHD2400?

With all this BLB chatter, I'd like to (again) throw out there (for the newbies) that TNs are expected to have a little bleed. So don't throw up your arms at the first sign of it. However, if it gets bad, it is a defect, and you should expect a replacement.

I bought the extended warranty from Best Buy, which gives me a local swap option during the first year (you don't have to send it to Gateway), and an extended warranty for later. Also, they allow a swap to an equal price monitor by any manufacturer if the problem is unresolvable.

My BLB is minimal, and I am very happy with this monitor. However, the thought has struck me that I may be able to turn my brightness up to full in 4 years and get an upgrade to a new technology monitor. So, the problem can work in your favor too. :)

Naw, I wouldn't do that... :rolleyes:

Also, I've always used the default 50 contrast. I just tried 35 contrast, but it is too dark.

I don't think contrast is part of the BLB issue. It doesn't generate heat like the brightness does, and so far we believe the panel is being damaged by heat generated by the backlight. My contrast has always been 50, and I have minimal bleed.

Gateway has released a tech note about what appears to be a description of 'normal' TN BLB. However, it has not stopped people from getting bad BLB replaced.

I'm going to have to do the same before my one year warranty is up as I have really bad BLB as well.

And I'll be sure to use zero for brightness from the start (I left the default brightness on too long). Using zero now though.

Did you get a refurbished model or a brand new one? What is the manufacture date of the new one?

I got a what appears to be a new monitor which shipped with the language set to Japanese. I had to set it to English. The monitor arrived in a somewhat special RMA box. The stand was already attached. I also recevied all the cables that come with the retail box.

MFG date on new monitor is Sept 2007 just like my last two.

Gateway tech support did not admit that is is a known issue. However, at first the tech said the BLB I had was normal. To get my point across, I sent them a link to a picture taken by camera (from this very thread) showing him approx how bad my BLB issue was.

Once the tech saw the picture, he was more than willing to ship a new one. Gateway placed a $98 hold my my credit card for security purposes to ensure I would ship the older monitor back.

Here is part of the chat log... names changed to protect the innocent.

Gateway Tech Support Guy sent a link to [http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-2584550962.shtml]
Gateway Tech Support Guy says: That is the link.
Onegoodsoul says: Currently, I am in a room with the lights turned off. The brightness on the monitor has been adjusted to zero and there a backlight bleed that comes down about 4 - 5 inches from the top of the monitor.
Gateway Tech Support Guy says: OKay
Onegoodsoul says: Thank you for the link but I do not believe that this issue can be resolved by http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-2584550962.shtml .
Gateway Tech Support Guy says: Please describe any changes you made around the time the issue started.
Onegoodsoul says: No changes have been made. The excessive blacklight bleed has gotten worse over the past 3 months.
Onegoodsoul says: Other video sources such as a DVD player show the same back light bleed.
Gateway Tech Support Guy says: This is a known characteristic for these types of monitors.
Onegoodsoul says: I understand what you are saying, but this blackbleed is so bad in that colors shift to other colors in the areas affected by the excessive backlight bleed.
Onegoodsoul says: Please see ... http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0480wv1.jpg
Onegoodsoul says: My monitor is like this but worse.
Gateway Tech Support Guy says: Thanks.
Onegoodsoul says: According to several message board forums, I am not the only one a problem with excessive backlight bleed.
Gateway Tech Support Guy says: The bleed on the monitor has gone worse.
Onegoodsoul says: Yes, it has. Gradually on the last 3 months.
Gateway Tech Support Guy says: I'll just send you a replacement monitor.

Onegoodsoul says: Currently, I am in a room with the lights turned off. The brightness on the monitor has been adjusted to zero and there a backlight bleed that comes down about 4 - 5 inches from the top of the monitor.

Just the top?! Mine has four to five inches on all four sides!! :(

Just the top?! Mine has four to five inches on all four sides!! :(

Actually, all four sides. I was attempting to prove to the tech support guy that the backlight bleed was not uniform. I was hoping that this would help the tech support guy come to the conclusion that the issue was not "normal".

It didn't work. It took a picture to convince him.

Picture Pages...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qgBjoL_auM

Damn the dell 2408 is on sale for almost the same price as the fhd2400 ($559).

If I only would have waited 3 more days. I will admit that u did want a glossy screen.

Is the dell a far superior monitor?

Those of you that got your bleeding monitors replaced forgot to say how the new monitors compare to the old ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Is there still bleeding?

Is it less than before?

How is it with the brightness turned up?

How are dark games?

How is it when using it as a TV?

etc.

I'm not sure you actually need replies to get some of your questions answered... Some are basic TN science.

Is there still bleeding? Probably, it's a TN. Is there bad bleeding? That they will need to answer.

How is it with the brightness turned up? Doesn't matter -- It appears if you don't fly at 0 brightness (which is still reasonably bright) the panel will slowly self-destruct due to a defect in this particular design.

How are dark dames? As a TN, not as good as if it were a higher-tech VA or IPS. Games are faster on a TN, but viewing angles and darks are more limited.

How is it when using it as a TV? Even if you have minimal bleeding, you will notice it in dark border areas that have no image. As for standard-definition TV, it doesn't have enough data to fill out the display, so the image will look 'noisy'. Not the fault of the monitor. High-def looks FANTASTIC.

If you want perfection in a display, don't look at a TN. However, if you can avoid the backlight bleed damage that appears to come from the heat of the backlight on this model, this is a pretty darn nice monitor. Mine exceeded my expectations, and I LOVE it (I've posted pictures), but I have also been spared from any bad backlight bleed.

The summary is -- if you want perfection, try for something like an S-IPS. Still not perfect, but the best panel you can find today. A little expensive though... Probably will be 3 times more expensive, using an older design without HDMI or HDCP...

I'm not sure you actually need replies to get some of your questions answered... Some are basic TN science.

Is there still bleeding? Probably, it's a TN. Is there bad bleeding? That they will need to answer.

How is it with the brightness turned up? Doesn't matter -- It appears if you don't fly at 0 brightness (which is still reasonably bright) the panel will slowly self-destruct due to a defect in this particular design.

How are dark dames? As a TN, not as good as if it were a higher-tech VA or IPS. Games are faster on a TN, but viewing angles and darks are more limited.

How is it when using it as a TV? Even if you have minimal bleeding, you will notice it in dark border areas that have no image. As for standard-definition TV, it doesn't have enough data to fill out the display, so the image will look 'noisy'. Not the fault of the monitor. High-def looks FANTASTIC.

If you want perfection in a display, don't look at a TN. However, if you can avoid the backlight bleed damage that appears to come from the heat of the backlight on this model, this is a pretty darn nice monitor. Mine exceeded my expectations, and I LOVE it (I've posted pictures), but I have also been spared from any bad backlight bleed.

The summary is -- if you want perfection, try for something like an S-IPS. Still not perfect, but the best panel you can find today. A little expensive though... Probably will be 3 times more expensive, using an older design without HDMI or HDCP...

I agree with most of these points, but your cost assessment for an IPS monitor is inaccurate. The Doublesight 26" H-IPS, which utilizes the same panel as the 26" Planar and 26" NEC, can be had for $700. While it lacks an HDMI input, it does support HDCP, and it's two-inches larger than the FHD2400 to boot. With the FHD2400 retailing at $550, it's mighty difficult to recommend it at this point for anyone who doesn't strictly need all of those inputs.

I agree with most of these points, but your cost assessment for an IPS monitor is inaccurate. The Doublesight 26" H-IPS, which utilizes the same panel as the 26" Planar and 26" NEC, can be had for $700. While it lacks an HDMI input, it does support HDCP, and it's two-inches larger than the FHD2400 to boot. With the FHD2400 retailing at $550, it's mighty difficult to recommend it at this point for anyone who doesn't strictly need all of those inputs.

Apologies, didn't know this one had come out. Wasn't on my radar. When I researched my panel last year, IPS designs were still mostly old and expensive, because cost was king with the consumer, and no one wanted to pay for the extra quality. I see tftcentral doesn't have this panel in their database yet.

That sounds like a pretty nice cost for an IPS. Looks like you would have to go without 6 inputs, pivot, and PiP, but if you only have it hooked up to a PC that's relatively easy!

First of all, my questions weren't directed towards you.

Second, not all TN panels have bleeding. I have an acer al1951 and it's a tn panel with absolutely no bleeding.

Third, YES IT DOES MATTER HOW IT LOOKS WITH THE BRIGHTNESS NOT AT ZERO. One of the things I like about LCD's is the brighter/crisper look. Keeping the brightness at Zero basically makes it look like a dull CRT. Its just a RUMOR that the bleeding gets worse over time, while I agree there is something defective about this panel, I don't believe the bleeding gets worse. I think its a case of group think and people paying more attention to it after reading about it.

Fourth, dark games look fine on my acer al1951 which is a tn panel.

Fifth, I have mine hooked up to hdtv source and dark scenes are horrible, cartoons are fantastic though! 1:1 aspect ratio seems to hide some of the bleed which is nice but then I'm missing a couple inches of screen space while also having a darker picture since I'm forced to use zero brightness.

Sixth, this will be the last tn panel I ever buy unless I can find a model like my al1951 that has absolutely no bleeding. Yes it is possible to make TN's without bleeding, the manufacturers have just put out the myth of all tn's having bleed to make consumers feel their defective panel is normal/acceptable.

TO THOSE WHO SHIPPED THEIR MONITOR BACK TO GATEWAY, WAS THE REPLACEMENT MONITOR BETTER THAN YOUR ORIGINAL???

Those of you that got your bleeding monitors replaced forgot to say how the new monitors compare to the old ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Is there still bleeding?

Is it less than before?

How is it with the brightness turned up?

How are dark games?

How is it when using it as a TV?

etc.

You should get your keyboard fixed. To answer your questions...

Yes, but very litle. More than acceptable amounts.

This is my 3rd FHD2400. However, this is the first one that I am keeping at zero on all inputs. Yes, the bleeding is far less than before.

Games are fine. I use contrast to increase picture "brightness" as needed.

I don't use it as TV. I do however use it for my Wii. The picture is quite good.

Got the system built today, monitor looks awesome, little bit of BLB on the bottom left hand corner (brightness 50) not too bad.

I cant get the HDMI to DVI to display a pitcure. Trying to hook it up to my 8800GTS (DVI) to the monitors HDMI port and it wont give me a picture. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or how I can fix? Thanks

I doubt anyone hear actually gives a rat's ass about CNET monitor reviews, but hears a new one for the Gateway FHD2400: 6.0/10

Good:
- Lots of inputs
- Glossy panel smooths images
- Nice Design

Bad:
- BLB (obviously)
- Viewing Angles
- Shadow Detail (Poor greyscale)
- Colors (either overstaturated or drab)
- Crappy optional speakers for the price
- Unnecessarily complicated OSD

Overall, my opinion still stands on this monitor; people can do a lot better for $500-550 dollars. Hopefully Gateway will release an updated version soon that corrects many of the issues.

I doubt anyone hear actually gives a rat's ass about CNET monitor reviews, but hears a new one for the Gateway FHD2400: 6.0/10

Good:
- Lots of inputs
- Glossy panel smooths images
- Nice Design

Bad:
- BLB (obviously)
- Viewing Angles
- Shadow Detail (Poor greyscale)
- Colors (either overstaturated or drab)
- Crappy optional speakers for the price
- Unnecessarily complicated OSD

Overall, my opinion still stands on this monitor; people can do a lot better for $500-550 dollars. Hopefully Gateway will release an updated version soon that corrects many of the issues.

I have the speaker bar and it's actually quite good, even has good bass. Of course it is not near what having a 5.1 surround sound is but if you ujst want basic sound it works fine. Also, the OSD is fine, it took me a good 5 minutes to figure that out, dunno why people criticize that.

got the monitor set to 30 brightness and only have blb in a small spot in lower left hand corner. This monitor a true beauty. Crysis with sli 8800gts looks amazing. I am very happy with this monitor, hopefully it withstands the test of time. The USB ports on the monitor are a nice feature.

Hello,
I am a new registered her, and enjoy reading this forum.
i just recently baught this Gateway 2400, first without knowing the all technologie things around lcd.
i too enjoy this screen,
here is the blacklightbleeding i get . is it acceptable amount of bleeding for you?

http://picasaweb.google.com/cooksail/Gateway2400/photo#5185850845500106802
http://picasaweb.google.com/cooksail/Gateway2400/photo#5185850849795074114

I am using this screen, for working on graphism, fllight simulation softwares.and movies.

Hello,
i just recently baught this Gateway 2400, first without knowing the all technologie things around lcd.
i too enjoy this screen,
here is the blacklightbleeding i get . is it acceptable amount of bleeding for you?

I am using this screen, for working on graphism, fllight simulation softwares.and movies.

Considering how dark the room is and that this is a FHD2400 thread...

Yes the BLB you have there seems acceptable to me.

Keep the brightness at 0. It seems to be the BLB from getting worse.

Good luck.

Hello,
i too enjoy this screen,

That is an acceptable amount of BLB for this monitor (as in yours in not deffective), but that is still a very high amount of BLB compared to what you would find on other similiar monitors (ie. the Benq 24" TN panel and the HP 2408). If it dosen't bother you, then that's great, but be warned that it gets worse over time, especially if you have the brightness set up real high (the heat does something that detiorates this monitor over time, and lowering the brightness lowers the heat). I would suggest that anyone buying this monitor have a good replacement plan so that when the problems get worse you can swap it out for a new one.

thank you for your responses,
in fact i bought it at best buy and i got 4 years warranty.
i would prefer not having this light.
also i am doing research on s-ips screen .
my brightness goes from 0 to 10
my contraste from 25 to 60
best buy doesn't have any s-ips screen, where can i see some. I am in San francisco california?

patrick

I saw a hp 2408 with a very hight amount of blb a lot more mine , so each panel is different .
i will have to keep my britness as low as possible. and when i find a s-ips panel that i can offert, i will go for it.

Just an FYI for those interested in this monitor.

Best Buy now offers this monitor for $479.

Edit: Also note that the 4 year warranty for this monitor has dropped to $59 instead of the $89 (I think) it used to be. This is also because of the price drop.

I was able to get $75 back from Best Buy because when I paid for mine it was $549. Since it was within the 14 day return period, they were willing to do a price match. Good stuff!

If this monitor did not have any bleeding, it would be the best TN 24" for gaming.

Has everyone up until this point only received FHD2400's manufactured in September 2007? I picked up one yesterday with the date of February 2008.

manf_date_thb.jpg

(Sorry for the unsharp image, but a better one would require me unscrewing the display from the stand and all that other nonsense... :p)

From what I could tell, no one has reported the 2/08 version yet. I've left the brightness at a full 100 and have taken pictures of its open box state. I'll continue to take pictures every 24h (from the same position using the same camera settings) to see if the backlight problem really worsens when brightness is left at its full magnitude.

There's some back light bleeding, but all TN panels do this anyway to a reasonable point.

9-15 hours of use:

Backlight Bleed:

~48 hours of use:

Backlight Bleed:

Back