Garmin Nuvi on sale at NewEgg today!

ghost6303

2[H]4U
So less then 24 hours after Garmin announced they were recalling over a million Nuvi GPS units, Newegg sent me an e-flyer for their "SUMMER CLEARANCE" sale, which has the Garmin Nuvi 260 and 265 (which are being recalled) on sale for almost 50% off...

WOW what a deal. Thanks Newegg! Let me give you my money to take your garbage off your hands :rolleyes:

Why not, 50% off then send it to Garmin to be replaced/fixed for free. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Not all of these are being replaced either. I own a model that is on the recall list, checked the serial, and mine is not recalled. So this is a good deal.

Garmin is recalling around 1.25 million Nuvi personal navigation devices after reports of potential overheating problems in the device, the company announced on Aug 25.

According to a statement given by the Garmin spokesperson, the device batteries "in rare circumstances, increase the possibility of overheating, which may lead to a fire hazard". So far, the Switzerland based company has received complaints of less than 10 cases and luckily no injuries have been reported.

So less than .001% of the units have actually had issues and they're all garbage? :rolleyes:

Well I have a Garmin Nuvi 255w and I will say that it is garbage IMO. Most of the time it takes over 5 minutes to find a signal. Which is odd because in that time my phone more often than not will find a good signal map a route and I will be on my way in less than a couple of minutes.

I personally think this is completely ridiculous because last time I checked the only job of a Garmin was to find a GPS sat signal and give you directions.

5-10 minutes to find a signal (from cold boot), has told me to do several things that are illegal, sometimes the routes are stupid, etc, etc.

Garmin isn't the best but it is certainly better than some. A buddy's TomTom told her to go through an IKEA underground garage once.

I just bought a 255wt for my parents. Cold boot to 3 signal bars in my living room: ~2.5 minutes. It varies. I don't think I've ever used a sat based GPS that was much faster. I have certainly used ones that are slower. Google "X acquiring satellite" and replace X with Magellan, TomTom, Garmin, etc... and you'll see this is pretty standard on any GPS. If you need faster than ~5 min satellite lock then you're going to have to design a better GPS system.

"My phone acquires a signal faster"
That's because it's using A-GPS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
For the monthly fee you pay to connect to the cellular networks to provide data assistance, I would certainly hope it would be faster. Unlike your phone however, the Garmin or any other sat based GPS will work even if there is no cellular towers near.

"My GPS picks a bad route"
GPS's were meant to be used as guide, not replace common sense. They're getting better, but I'm not aware of any that are perfect. Even google maps picks dumb routes sometime. The advantage is that even if the gps picks a dumb route you've got a whole map in there that you can look at and figure out the correct way. It's just a tad bit more convenient than having to buy a new atlas every other year and carry it around in your car.

Last edited:
Back