Garmin nüvi 760 4.3-Inch Widescreen GPS $199.99 + free shipping

conchimdada

Limp Gawd
Amazon has Garmin Nuvi 760 4.3-inch Widescreen Portable Auto GPS on sale for $599.99 - $400 instant discount (67% off) = $199.99 plus FREE shipping

deal expires Feb 12, 2009

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bought it. :) Should be here tomorrow morning. :)

I've been looking for one of these forever...thanks for the link man.

nice price, but there's a bunch of places offering it for $230ish, so the 67% discount's a load of crap.

Yeah, nobody's selling it for that much except for some of the retail stores. It's still a good deal, and if you haven't already used your prime trial you can get free 2-day or $3.99 overnight.

Nice deal. I paid $269.00 for mine (used) about 4 months ago. I haven't used it a bunch but its definitely a winner.

I have a question. Either Amazon is lying and selling refurbs as new or something is up. I work at Best Buy and we sell primarily Garmin, and a LOT of Garmin. We often have sales on GPS's that take them below company cost. (I know what our cost is on them. I have the ability to look it up - not the employee discount either, our actual unit cost.)

Case in point - we had a Garmin GPS on sale for $299. Our cost on it was $326. Amazon had the same model, same exact retail GPS for $250. How the CRAP can they get them cheaper from Garmin than Best Buy, who buys and sells literally hundreds of thousands of Garmins in over 1000 stores worldwide. I know Amazon is big, but how can they get better pricing on those than Best Buy? They do these sales often enough that they can't be losing money on them.

What am I missing here???

Amazon moves more units. Why are you surprised by this? Amazon has a lower price on literally every single non clearance unit from Best Buy.

SirKronan I have no idea but thanks for posting that info, very interesting. (not sarcasm, just to be clear)

oh I just thought of something, is best buy still buying them at from garmin at the $326 price point?
seems unlikely since its a pretty old model. i'm guessing they are at the sale price because they want to clear them. the reviews i looked up for the 760 are all from late 2007.

the $326 price is probably what best buy payed for them when they first came out to anywhere when they were still popular/selling.

Some folks on slickdeals are saying you can get this instore at Costco for $179...and it's not that price online. No one has confirmed it though.

I have this exact same model that i bought just about one year ago.
I paid ~$350 CAD, since I had BB price match some crazy sale, when BB was selling them for almost $700CAD at the time, gotta love the 10% diff price match.
( actually i posted about my purchase here on [H] forums back when i bought mine LINK)

Its a great GPS unit no regrets yet, so enjoy your new toy.

Also maybe the BB ones cost more because they have an exclusive 'piano black' finish oooohh..
( seriously though the finish on the BB is nicer the the regular ones)

Amazon has the highest inventory turnover of any electronics retailer.

Also, does anyone know if you can load maps of Europe onto this device? If so, do they replace the North American maps?

oh I just thought of something, is best buy still buying them at from garmin at the $326 price point?
seems unlikely since its a pretty old model. i'm guessing they are at the sale price because they want to clear them. the reviews i looked up for the 760 are all from late 2007.

the $326 price is probably what best buy payed for them when they first came out to anywhere when they were still popular/selling.

It wasn't this specific model, it was another model. Maybe that's why, but I know the cost is adjusted as time goes on.

Oh well. No biggie. I was just curious.

Amazon has the highest inventory turnover of any electronics retailer.

Also, does anyone know if you can load maps of Europe onto this device? If so, do they replace the North American maps?

Yes i know for certain that you can put Europe maps on this unit
( i think you can even put europe maps on any unit)

No it does not replace the North American maps, it just adds Europe maps so then you have both. Basically you can add as many maps as you like, so long as you have enough storage space. On that note, i know for a fact that this also accepts 4,8, &16GB SDHC cards, as i have tested them on mine.

I got mine today. The only thing I can't really get working well is the FM transmitter, but that has more to do with the FM signals near where I live, and where my vehicle antennae is. Everything else seems to be better than expected. The MP3 player functions much better than I expected as well.

Using it as a handsfree device for my phone took about 5 seconds, and it works really well. I made and received a few test calls with it, and the quality was really good. It's got about a 12 second boot time, and it grabs a signal right away. I'm going to the LA area next week, so I'm sure I'll have a chance to give the traffic receiver a shot.

I feel like I got a pretty good deal at $200.

man.... deal went up to 220.... still bit though... my buddy told me to go out and buy it for myself for a wedding present, he's going to pay me back...

what a gift!

lawl

I got mine today. The only thing I can't really get working well is the FM transmitter, but that has more to do with the FM signals near where I live, and where my vehicle antennae is. .

Actually the North American model has the FM transmitter levels intentionally crippled.
This is because in the USA there are laws as to how much power a personal FM transmitter can output,and they happen to be very weak compared to the rest of the worlds limits.
There are various comparison reviews which show that the european model does not suffer from this issue.
This sucks for people like me in Canada, in that we have to buy a North American model which adhears to USA specs even though our laws dont require such weak FM transmitters.

I know of no hack that allows one to convert a north american firmware to european firmware model as technically the hardware is the same its just the firmware that is limiting the output.

one way you can test this is to go into the hidden test pages ( touch the battery icon for several seconds) once in the test page there is a fm transmitter test that allows you to increase the power output,, however once your done the test it will not keep the new power output and reverts back to the factory setting.

Have fun playing with your new toy.

Back