Garmin just put Alexa in the car

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Amazon is spreading Alexa to more and more devices all the time. Garmin has created a little device call Garmin Speak that utilizes Alexa. It displays simplified turning directions and arrows on the front and is fairly unobtrusive. For those interested in the Amazon ecosystem this might be another device you'll want to try out.

Its own devices, such as the Amazon Echo speaker, have brought Alexa to living rooms and kitchens. The Amazon Tap makes Alexa portable, and the forthcoming Echo Spot lets Alexa serve as your alarm clock.

Now, Garmin -- maker of GPS devices and wearables -- has created a mini Alexa gadget specifically for the car.

We want to record you everywhere! Next up, Alexa penis rings so we can record and give real time feedback on your stroke length, stamina and overall performance and rate you against others online!

Now the cops will just mail you a ticket when you speed, no longer need to pull you over. The data is just uploaded directly to law enforcement for ticketing purposes.

Garmin trying to remain relevant with the everyday consumer still? That's pretty funny. Need to go the path of Magellen and simply stick to the hard core outdoor market.

I never see anyone with a standalone GPS anymore. Except for my old boss. He has a smartphone but prefers the GPS device. His reasonings (which I think are valid): bigger GPS antenna - so it's more accurate/faster, your phone is not tied up, his vehicle doesn't have Android Auto/Car Play so this gives him the nav map while his phone can stay in his pocket. However, his GPS had a crappy interface and was kind of a pain to type on the screen. I think he also has to pay for map updates and other information we take for granted on our phones.
So back to the story - Alexa in a GPS. Hmm...if I could say "Alexa, take me to 1234 main st" - got it, makes sense. I do this with Siri already. I wonder where Amazon is going with this? I'm waiting on "push messages" from their platform. Drive near a Whole Foods, it reminds you to pick up the milk. As Amazon grows, this could easily turn to other things.

Back