Garbled Audio Problem

tonypitt

n00b
Three years ago I built a custom PC with help from people from this forum. Since very early in the life of the machine I have had audio problems that I have been unable to resolve. I'm at the point now where I'm thinking I may need to build a new machine to resolve this, but I'm not sure how to approach this.

I built the PC in 2015. The motherboard is a ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII Hero. When the audio problems first started, I thought it was a motherboard problem, so I disabled onboard audio and bought a Sound Blaster Z video card. No change at all on the output. I've tried output to various PC speakers and through HDMI video. Still the problem persists. I've tried all kind of driver alternatives.

Attached to this is a sample of what the audio output sounds like. I'm at the point now where I'm considering reusing some parts from this machine but doing a whole new build. Before I did that, I thought I'd take a shot to see if anyone has any suggestions. The audio I've uploaded was taken by recording the output with my iPhone. I've zipped it for the upload.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Home.zip
    185.9 KB · Views: 0
If you used a sound card and HDMI audio and still experience this, that's bizarre. Have you done full OS wipes and reeinstall? What about a USB sound device? Cheap ones are on Amazon for $12 or so.

yeah start with a fresh install, use a spare drive and updated drivers from the maker of the sound device not the outdated mobo maker ones.

If you used a sound card and HDMI audio and still experience this, that's bizarre. Have you done full OS wipes and reeinstall? What about a USB sound device? Cheap ones are on Amazon for $12 or so.

I started out with audio from the motherboard. When that showed the problem, I tried HDMI out from the video card. Same problem. Then I bought the audio card and ran the audio out of it. Same problem. I haven't tried a USB device. I'm willing to give that a shot. Are you talking about something like the Creative Sound BlasterX G1?

I'm willing to give that a shot and then try a full software refresh. I'm trying to remember if I've done that with this system yet or not. I don't think I have. Thanks for the advice.

I started out with audio from the motherboard. When that showed the problem, I tried HDMI out from the video card. Same problem. Then I bought the audio card and ran the audio out of it. Same problem. I haven't tried a USB device. I'm willing to give that a shot. Are you talking about something like the Creative Sound BlasterX G1?

I'm willing to give that a shot and then try a full software refresh. I'm trying to remember if I've done that with this system yet or not. I don't think I have. Thanks for the advice.
if its doing it on all devices then its something with the os. try a fresh install first before buying anything.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Try disabling the high resolution timer on the motherboard if you can, then test the sound again.

Here's the resolution: I did a full system wipe and setup from scratch. I'm still recovering from that, but I finally have working sound. I'm not sure what the problem was, but I've now been several days without a recurrence of the problem. Thanks everyone for your help!

Back