Gaming with a Desktop Mic

So, I have a pretty good pair of speakers and I don't like using headphones while I game and prefer to enjoy them over wearing a headset while playing. Can anyone recommend a good desktop microphone that I can use in conjunction with my desktop speakers? I don't expect music to be totally cancelled out as I don't play with the music maxed, it's more ambient noise. I just need something that'll pick up my voice with clarity and not having to scream.

I've been using Blue Microphone's Snowball since 09. High quality USB mic. Won't have any white noise or anything. Apparently they have a newer product called the Yeti or something.

As for filtering out ambient noise so as not to annoy the people you're Skyping with or whatever, push to talk is the only way I know how. There may be some software filtering available, but I doubt it.

I've been looking at the Snowball - or any variant of Blue's products since there are a few of them. That sounds like what I want in a nutshell based off of what you've described. I may give that a whirl unless any other suggestions surface.

Thanks.

You may want to look into a regular condenser microphone or whatnot that only takes sound input from a single side rather than both (or all sides). That way it can actually sit infront of your speakers without taking in major amounts of sound.

I for one use a Behringer C1, which works great.

I'm reading up on the C1, which also looks like a great choice. Apparently it requires phantom power? What do you use for this?

You may want to look into a regular condenser microphone or whatnot that only takes sound input from a single side rather than both (or all sides). That way it can actually sit infront of your speakers without taking in major amounts of sound.

I for one use a Behringer C1, which works great.

The Snowball is a condenser microphone and has various settings that change the angles of which it accepts sound from. Depending on the size of your desk it can work fairly well, but there is still the sound bouncing off the walls to worry about. It all depends on the acoustics of your room, proximity of mic to speakers, etc.

Back