Gaming Strategies to prevent addiction...

John Gault said:
You find them already good to go, havent you seen fight club? Go to a sex addicts meeting.

I have been know to game too much. Over the years I have learned some things, at times the hard way, about the consequences of it. I will spare you guys the stories but I think that the moral of it acts as a good "go, no go gauge".

YOU HAVE NO LONG TERM BENEFITS FROM GAMING. Memories, awards and accomplishments are things that we can take with us; these have long term benefits. I think that its nice to have rules to fall back on, call them morals if its easier for you. In my life I have made a conscious decision to make a heirarchy or importance list.

1-Family (this includes anything that impacts the life of my family, God is here for me also)
2-Work (Before friends because it directly impacts #1)
3-Friends
4-Hobbies (this is gaming/geeking out on computers)

I know it may seem lame to have to do this but it is a good go/no go for gaming. When 1-3 start to get impacted by my addiction then I have to curtail #4. Investing in the first 3 I see as giving me and the people around me long-term benefits.

Ok, that's waaaaaay to mature for this forum... :D

Seriously, though, good stuff.

Now where's my BF2 CD...

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the obvious? Strattera, Cylert, Concerta, Adderall, etc.

Strangely enough, I'm not joking about this.

Gaming is simply another in a long line of excuses for my inherent apathy. :D

Play only SP RPGs. They only release 2-3 a year that are worth playing (if you're lucky) so no chance of addiction.

Torgo said:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the obvious? Strattera, Cylert, Concerta, Adderall, etc.

Kind of ironic that you mention this because I don't have ADD but will take Adderall to stay awake for three days straight and play Lineage.

If you really want to quit gaming switch to linux or macintosh. While you can play some games on both it generally is a pain in the butt to do so and with a limited library to choose from.

codegoblin said:
Kind of ironic that you mention this because I don't have ADD but will take Adderall to stay awake for three days straight and play Lineage.

If you really want to quit gaming switch to linux or macintosh. While you can play some games on both it generally is a pain in the butt to do so and with a limited library to choose from.

Just pop some perk's Nothing will keep you going with a smile for longer!

I'm the Dude said:
On the plus side for gaming though, is that if it is a substitute for a more serious addiction, like drugs or alcohol...well then...that's great. Take it from the Dude. The addiction to the game(s) can be bad, but it will never be as bad as a habit forming substance.
Id rather be addicted to gaming than any of that other bullshit, somtimes its more coastly though" Oh well"

WhyYouLoveMe said:
The key is to limit your time playing. Let's say, keep it to 90 mintues per day. For the first week or so, it'll be tough, but once the "withdrawl" effect wears off, it's good. Then your body will acclimate to only "needing" 90 minutes a day for games.

Sometimes you just CAN'T limit your time playing, especially when your doing an instance that takes a few hours or are on a time based quest, or can't hearth home cause your timer isn't up and you want to get back so you can get rest rewards so you have to go back the hard way, etc. One of the reasons I quit wow and am back to plain FPS's, you can play a nice 20min DM or half hour CTF game and be done with it, and if you really had to you could disconnect mid-game and not feel as guilty :p

I broke my addiction to WoW (with ... many days of play put in) and CS (about 6 years worth) in one fell-swoop.

I went backpacking in europe for a month.

Blakestr said:
If you ever post or read this thread, chances are you've been addicted to a certain game, or gaming in general. Chances are you've skipped school, work, hell maybe even sex. Chances are gaming is the fuel that powers your procrastination. Chances are you have, if you are aware of your condition, put off buying a game, because you were too busy and were afraid to become addicted.

I was wondering if there are any strategies to play the game but not become addicted. Most likely it's all mental and prioritization but currently I am so busy that I am putting off buying Civ 4, and haven't even tried WoW because I fear it's addictive powers.

Me, I don't skip work or school, but I will put off things I need to do, and wait until the last minute, perhaps not studying as much as I should or going to the gym when I need to or for a run.

Can we have the game and play it too?

I simply accept my addiction. I live with it and move on.

Techx said:
Sometimes you just CAN'T limit your time playing, especially when your doing an instance that takes a few hours or are on a time based quest, or can't hearth home cause your timer isn't up and you want to get back so you can get rest rewards so you have to go back the hard way, etc. One of the reasons I quit wow and am back to plain FPS's, you can play a nice 20min DM or half hour CTF game and be done with it, and if you really had to you could disconnect mid-game and not feel as guilty :p

Then you're addicted and you don't want to change. Point is: THEY'RE GAMES. YOU are in control of the game, not the other way around. So if you feel you "can't" stop a game after a certain time limit (regardless of save/progress issues) then you're just not ready to get "un-addicted". :D

Techx said:

I remember the day I quit EQ, permanently too. I was working on Golden Effreti boots quest and I was planning my weekend for the best possible time to get it. I was camping first site I think for a few hours and somehow a train or something, long story short, I died. Two things happened: I literally said, "Shit, I just lost all that work." Work?? WtF!WORK!? I HATE WORK, why am I working in a GAME!. Then I thought about...shit, I'm planning my weekend not just to play a game, but to get some stupid item that doesnt' even really exist....

I then calmly canceled my account, found my cds, put them back in the box, and smashed them with a hammer. Sometimes drastic measures are the only way to break an addiction...

Blakestr said:
If you ever post or read this thread, chances are you've been addicted to a certain game, or gaming in general. Chances are you've skipped school, work, hell maybe even sex. Chances are gaming is the fuel that powers your procrastination. Chances are you have, if you are aware of your condition, put off buying a game, because you were too busy and were afraid to become addicted.

I was wondering if there are any strategies to play the game but not become addicted. Most likely it's all mental and prioritization but currently I am so busy that I am putting off buying Civ 4, and haven't even tried WoW because I fear it's addictive powers.

Me, I don't skip work or school, but I will put off things I need to do, and wait until the last minute, perhaps not studying as much as I should or going to the gym when I need to or for a run.

Can we have the game and play it too?

They make a pill for it. Adderall. ;)

EDIT:

Strangely enough, I'm not joking about this.

Haha, you beat me to it.

I bet you the vast majority of people in this thread meet the DSM-IV criteria for ADHD without hyperactivity. Just not enough dopamine in the prefrontal cortex!

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/symptom.htm

DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD
1. Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Inattention

1. Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.
2. Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.
3. Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
4. Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).
5. Often has trouble organizing activities.
6. Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).
7. Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).
8. Is often easily distracted.
9. Is often forgetful in daily activities.

Your excessive game playing is likely a symptom of a deeper issue, not a cause.

Quote:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/symptom.htm

DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD
1. Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Inattention

1. Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.
2. Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.
3. Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
4. Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).
5. Often has trouble organizing activities.
6. Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).
7. Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).
8. Is often easily distracted.
9. Is often forgetful in daily activities.

I meet all of these....anyone wanna lend me so pills?

Maybe everyone my whole life has been telling me the truth.
I do have ADHD......
I I need the pills also.

talley said:
I meet all of these....anyone wanna lend me so pills?

You should see a psychiatrist, if indeed you have ADD, medication will give you a normal amount of dopamine in your prefrontal cortex, and give you the focus, planning, attention to detail etc that you've always lacked. They've found D2 dopamine receptor alleles that may be implicated in this, so it's not always a "OMG UR JUST LAZY" thing.

Note: Don't see a psychologist, they can't prescribe medication. Also, call bullshit if they give you the CPT (computer test where you hit spacebar upon seeing a letter), it has very poor efficacy in not only adults but in ADHD without hyperactivity.

And just to further ward off the "ADD isn't a real problem" types, here's some SPECT images of brain activity in ADD: http://amenclinics.com/bp/atlas/ch12.php ... you can clearly see the medication is effective at restoring a normal level of activity.

Franigble,
I don't have time for all that.... JUST GIVE ME THE FUCKING PILLS! :D

Once upon a time, a friend of mine with ADD left his bottle of pills (ritalin) at my house by mistake.

My mother thought I was on speed and called the cops.

SwanBeeCh said:
Once upon a time, a friend of mine with ADD left his bottle of pills (ritalin) at my house by mistake.

My mother thought I was on speed and called the cops.

I call Bull Shit on this.
Unless you can come and give me some of the pills as proof! :p

Frangible...I do take adderall, but for me it isn't so much as focus on activities but rather, to help remedy my otherwise total unawareness of time...definately something that playing addictions would not mix well with.

Maijn - All it took for me was one regular doctors appointment. Depending on the type of doctor, whether he is a pill popper or an oldschool type, you have a good chance of walking out of there with a prescription.

But if you seem to eager then they probably will give you the run around...you seem pretty eager to get your "fucking pills" ;) keep in mind this is a gaming addiction thread, not a drug one ....hehe

I live in Canada I can most likely find this stuff next to the Advill... LOL

OT... I love games!
They run my life.

Majin said:
Franigble,
I don't have time for all that.... JUST GIVE ME THE FUCKING PILLS! :D

Most ADD medication are schedule II drugs, good luck on that one :D

I call Bull Shit on this.
Unless you can come and give me some of the pills as proof!

Both amphetamine (Adderall) and methylphenidate (Ritalin) greatly increase dopamine levels throughout your brain, by about 300%. The difference is how they work, and amphetamine also releases norepinephrine. Ritalin is certainly a stimulant whose effects could be confused with "speed" (amphetamine) though.

But if you seem to eager then they probably will give you the run around...you seem pretty eager to get your "fucking pills" keep in mind this is a gaming addiction thread, not a drug one ....hehe

Yes, demanding schedule II drugs, and/or admitting a history of drug abuse is a pretty good way to get nada.

I live in Canada I can most likely find this stuff next to the Advill... LOL

Actually ADHD medication is less available in Canada. Canada is rather anti-stimulant.

Well, she took one of them in and they told her that it was speed, which I later convinced her of otherwise.... after she was in tears. (I was in like... 7th grade... haha)

And Majin..... send me the money and Ill get you some k? ;)

I don't have any ADHD or anything like that. In fact there are NO pills in my daily routine or life. Hows that for strange? Seems that everyone is medicated for something these days.

IBP is my only drug.

<3 <3

But I have plenty of friends who are on Adderall and or Ritalin... and a couple on those silly antidepressants.

And theyre all more than willing to sell their drugs for money!

haha.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I don't have any ADHD or anything like that. In fact there are NO pills in my daily routine or life. Hows that for strange? Seems that everyone is medicated for something these days.
Not me! No medication for this person.

Ok guys, this thread is about gaming addictions and ways to prevent it. It IS NOT about ADD or ADHD. If you want a thread on ADHD I would suggest picking up a subscription to General Mayhem. Now lets get back on topic before we head to lock city.

Rich Tate said:
Ok guys, this thread is about gaming addictions and ways to prevent it. It IS NOT about ADD or ADHD. If you want a thread on ADHD I would suggest picking up a subscription to General Mayhem. Now lets get back on topic before we head to lock city.

Allow me to rephrase: gaming addictions are influenced by many factors, one of which is a mutation of the D2 dopamine receptor gene. Combined with other genes, and environmental factors, this can result in gaming addictions, substance abuse, and ADHD symptoms. ADHD and gaming addictions share a ~35% comorbidity in some studies.

Gaming, in people with addictions, causes an activation of the reward circuits in the brain significantly beyond that of a normal person, and releases dopamine, among other things. The frequent reward schedule in gaming will produce an "addiction" in people due to this.

I believe it's not too hard to break an individual gaming addiction, but the root problem will remain in some, and that is my concern. Breaking an addiction is always easy in studies, what is difficult is avoiding the relapse if the reasons for the addiction go unchanged.

Of course, if the gaming "addiction" is not having an adverse effect on your life, it's probably just a hobby and not a true addiction.

Not that I have any personal knowledge of this, had over 700 days of /played in EverQuest, or got put on academic suspension because I was playing video games or anything.

Oh yeah. Speaking of dopamine, exercise produces an increase in dopamine levels for about 56 hours via increased calcium transport, and has even been shown to increase the number of dopamine receptors in animal models. Not to say exercise is a panacea, but it may help. Just repeat every 56 hours :D

Sir-Fragalot said:

I'm a poster child for ADD, but have never taken medication for it. I wasn't diagnosed until my wife (who has a degree in psychology) decided that I fit the description and we had a doctor confirm it. I was 24 when we found out for certain. I don't want to start on drugs now because I've seen adults do that, and they completely changed. I take great pride in not being a workaholic, I'd hate to start now :D

Of course, there are some people who can't function with AD(H)D. I've learned to cope with the flaws it gives me and to actually make use of some of the unique traits of an ADD mind. Those who can't (or won't, as in the case of a cousin of mine) would benefit from medication.

Well hey, ever since I stopped playing video games, I've taken on exercising on the regular, meeting ladies, getting a job, doing volunteer work, and heck even doing good in college.

Geez I miss video games.

Rich Tate said:
Far be it to disagree with the new moderator, but ADHD and gaming do have several links. We've talked about it several times here in this forum. There are questions if gaming at a young age causes ADHD, but more than likely video games attract persons with ADD or ADHD because there are qualities that allow the user to focus.

Rich, you may know it or not, but videogames affect people with ADD differently than normal folks. Playing videogames brings out a little known trait (although those of us afflicted with the condition know all too well about it) call hyperfocus. A person with ADD will hyperfocus on the game and will lose all sense of time and other stimuli around them. If I play a videogame, my wife has to physically tap me on the shoulder to get my attention. She could be talking to me, but I won't hear her until I look at her face.

It's not uncommon for those that hyperfocus to play six or eight hours at a sitting and lose all track of time. They don't eat or sleep. It's all about the game. To some people, this would be a sign of addiction and people with ADD do use videogames as an escape because often it's one of the few things they can focus on for a long period and enjoy.

To say that ADD and videogames have nothing in common is a mistaken notion.

I think it is amazing to see the addiction to WOW. It sucks you in so hardcore. The guild I am in.....some of them seem to be on 24/7, it is crazy. I just play when i have some free time. I dont miss anything for it, and dont feel I have to play...it is just fun to do when I have a little free time.

Torgo said:
Far be it to disagree with the new moderator, but ADHD and gaming do have several links. We've talked about it several times here in this forum. There are questions if gaming at a young age causes ADHD, but more than likely video games attract persons with ADD or ADHD because there are qualities that allow the user to focus.

Rich, you may know it or not, but videogames affect people with ADD differently than normal folks. Playing videogames brings out a little known trait (although those of us afflicted with the condition know all too well about it) call hyperfocus. A person with ADD will hyperfocus on the game and will lose all sense of time and other stimuli around them. If I play a videogame, my wife has to physically tap me on the shoulder to get my attention. She could be talking to me, but I won't hear her until I look at her face.

It's not uncommon for those that hyperfocus to play six or eight hours at a sitting and lose all track of time. They don't eat or sleep. It's all about the game. To some people, this would be a sign of addiction and people with ADD do use videogames as an escape because often it's one of the few things they can focus on for a long period and enjoy.

Well I stand corrected. How about we keep the meds out of the discussion and I'll be happy, k? Pharmacy talk with you guys makes me nervous. ;)

Torgo said:

Yep. You either need to increase the dopamine levels such that focus is possible with "normal" tasks (this is where the scary pharmaceuticals are used), or find some other activity that will make you hyperfocus (ie, increase dopamine levels significantly).

The problem being hyperfocusing really can't be controlled, but can produce amazing results if you can hyperfocus on something like a career or scientific research. But if you spend your time using videogames' reward schedules to get your dopamine levels up, that is seen as pretty unhealthy.

Anyway, gaming addictions are a sign of a much larger underlying issue that will affect all aspects of a person's life imo.

2Fresh said:
I think it is amazing to see the addiction to WOW. It sucks you in so hardcore. The guild I am in.....some of them seem to be on 24/7, it is crazy. I just play when i have some free time. I dont miss anything for it, and dont feel I have to play...it is just fun to do when I have a little free time.

I left my WoW CDs at my girlfriend's house over the weekend, and being the dumbass that I am, formatted the computer yesterday. I was scrambling to find the CDs this afternoon to reinstall when I realized I didn't have them. I'm now going to have to wait till late tonight when she gets off work to go over there and get them. I'm already going through withdrawals :(

MemoryInAGarden said:
I left my WoW CDs at my girlfriend's house over the weekend, and being the dumbass that I am, formatted the computer yesterday. I was scrambling to find the CDs this afternoon to reinstall when I realized I didn't have them. I'm now going to have to wait till late tonight when she gets off work to go over there and get them. I'm already going through withdrawals :(

If its any consolation, they extended maint. to at least 4pm eastern. So right now, you aren't missing a thing.

MemoryInAGarden said:

Do a few laps around the block, that'll get your dopamine levels up the meantime? :D

Back