Gaming rig upgrade under a budget.

Zenprophet

Weaksauce
Hello,

I have a pc that I use for VR with my rift S and I game on it/use it to watch tv/surf/edit audio ect. My current pc is using an AMD r9 FURY. 16 GB Ram, Processor is Intel I5-6600k 3.5ghz. Windows 10 OS. My system shuts down randomly, well randomly at first but now seems to shut down and completely power off when I play Last epoch, which it should be able to handle. If I'm right it's my R9 Fury that's failing me and I want to upgrade it. But, scalper prices are nearly $1k for a GPU that would be a decent upgrade. Sorry to bother you all with this, but are there any systems out there that would be a quality upgrade for as close to 1k or under if possible?

My top dollar is 1,199.99 and I'm looking at this pc ABS Master Gaming PC - Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 10700F - GeForce RTX 2060 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 512GB Intel M.2 NVMe SSD - Newegg.com which is a i7 1-700f, ge force TRX 2060 with 16 gb ddr4 ram and 512 m.2 drive. Is that pc worth the purchase as an upgrade from mine? Or can you point me at something better? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Last edited:
Get or borrow a decent volt-ohm meter and check your power supply 12 volt rail to see if it's sagging below 11.8 volts that's more likely than a video card slowly dying as they usualy go poof and their done unless they artifact which indicates a failing vram module. Replacing a faulty power suppy would leave a grand for a decent video card upgrade if that's all that's wrong with your current system.

Thanks for the replies, I will try memtest86+ soon today and test my psu as soon as I can. There's nothing else really wrong with my build except the r9 fury has one hdmi port that is dead. And I'm feeling a little upgrade itch. The pc I listed, is it good for the price? Or do you know of one better for the price? IF I decide to go that way I mean.

any suggested PCs other than what I listed? Thanks for the replies and sorry for being a pest about it, but with all the inflated prices out there I'm just not sure where to even search for a deal.

Get or borrow a decent volt-ohm meter and check your power supply 12 volt rail to see if it's sagging below 11.8 volts that's more likely than a video card slowly dying as they usualy go poof and their done unless they artifact which indicates a failing vram module. Replacing a faulty power suppy would leave a grand for a decent video card upgrade if that's all that's wrong with your current system.
I don't have a multimeter available to me right now so I tried running cpuid hwMonitor to check for voltages. My +12v stayed between 12.288 and 12.382. Not sure how valid checking with that software is but voltages did fluctuate, but not much. I ran Last Epoch which has been crashing my systemm. GPU voltage went from 0.900 to 1.375 Under utilization GPPU stayed at 21.1% and memory is 80.7%. Voltages seemed to stay fairly stable overall though. I know this is nothing like using a multimeter to check the voltages, but it's what I have available right now.

My top dollar is 1,199.99 and I'm looking at this pc ABS Master Gaming PC - Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 10700F - GeForce RTX 2060 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 512GB Intel M.2 NVMe SSD - Newegg.com which is a i7 1-700f, ge force TRX 2060 with 16 gb ddr4 ram and 512 m.2 drive. Is that pc worth the purchase as an upgrade from mine? Or can you point me at something better? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

That's really a terrible system for a number of reasons, starting with the case being the worst offender. It has RGB cancer, entirely designed for form and not function. You have three massive 120mm fans behind a sheet of glass, making the fans useless. They tried to compensate for it with like a half inch strip on either side of the glass with a highly restricted mesh in the way, there's no way those fans are going to move any air and the inside of the case will be an easybake oven.

The CPU cooler is a complete joke, the 10700F is going to easily overpower that anemic air cooler, which will be worse because most motherboards ignore Intel's turbo spec and core voltage and run them hotter than the blazes of hell. Water cooling is pretty much mandatory on 10700 and higher CPUs.

Cheap B560 board that's MicroATX inside a full ATX tower, waste of space. Unknown PSU, etc.

You can do better building one yourself. GN has done a good deal of research on the prebuilt market as of late and there really aren't any great options, just some that suck less than others. I'd suggest heading over to the Intel and/or AMD sections and asking for advice on what to get to build a system yourself if you want to go that route.

I tried to download and install memtest86 and it is to make a bootable usb drive. Is there an option to have it run from my system vs running it from a usb drive?

Memtest must be run from a flash drive, CD, Floppy, etc.

That's really a terrible system for a number of reasons, starting with the case being the worst offender. It has RGB cancer, entirely designed for form and not function. You have three massive 120mm fans behind a sheet of glass, making the fans useless. They tried to compensate for it with like a half inch strip on either side of the glass with a highly restricted mesh in the way, there's no way those fans are going to move any air and the inside of the case will be an easybake oven.

The CPU cooler is a complete joke, the 10700F is going to easily overpower that anemic air cooler, which will be worse because most motherboards ignore Intel's turbo spec and core voltage and run them hotter than the blazes of hell. Water cooling is pretty much mandatory on 10700 and higher CPUs.

Cheap B560 board that's MicroATX inside a full ATX tower, waste of space. Unknown PSU, etc.

You can do better building one yourself. GN has done a good deal of research on the prebuilt market as of late and there really aren't any great options, just some that suck less than others. I'd suggest heading over to the Intel and/or AMD sections and asking for advice on what to get to build a system yourself if you want to go that route.

Memtest must be run from a flash drive, CD, Floppy, etc.
Thanks for the feedback on that! The problem is getting a Graphics card because of all the scalpers. That pc's graphics card the 2060 is listed for over 700 on amazon and used on ebay for around 450. I would rather build my own, but Ram kits, and graphics cards are just insanely priced these days and seem impossible to get at retail price. I've been doing the newegg shuffle for a while with no luck, and no luck with a waiting list anywhere either. Just feel like my only choice is drop a PC price on a card to a scalper, or get the same card in a prebuilt system for not much more than the price of a card and ram. BUT maybe I'm missing a lot of opportunity on shopping? I've just not had any luck getting my r9 replaced with an upgraded card at a decent price. I really appreciate the feedback!! Just not having much luck.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ran rivera in afterburner and while playing last epoch on 1080p res with lowered detail after about 30 to 45 minutes the temp went to 78C I think my GPU is overheating and that's the root of the problem.

Thanks for the feedback on that! The problem is getting a Graphics card because of all the scalpers. That pc's graphics card the 2060 is listed for over 700 on amazon and used on ebay for around 450. I would rather build my own, but Ram kits, and graphics cards are just insanely priced these days and seem impossible to get at retail price. I've been doing the newegg shuffle for a while with no luck, and no luck with a waiting list anywhere either. Just feel like my only choice is drop a PC price on a card to a scalper, or get the same card in a prebuilt system for not much more than the price of a card and ram. BUT maybe I'm missing a lot of opportunity on shopping? I've just not had any luck getting my r9 replaced with an upgraded card at a decent price. I really appreciate the feedback!! Just not having much luck.
Just a theory, but I wonder if the shuffle prioritizes customers that have purchased recently....

I have been selected three times, but have purchased stuff...

Just keep entering and checking fateka, roguecast and parallel miner...

Or, you could get crazy and plan a vacation to microcenter.

I mean I’d actually suggest scooping something like a 6700xt for ~800 and then try to find someone selling a motherboard/cpu/ddr4 for a few hundred bucks (shoot even a 3600 for $150, motherboard for 80ish and $50 for ram) This route will offer you 2080ti~ performance.
You can likely get a decent amount for your setup and probably close to a couple hundred for your fury if all it needs is a repaste.

I would stay away from a 2060 especially at $1200, you could get like an Alienware r14 with 5600x and 6700xt for $1399, not that it's a great system but.... Or of course find a new gpu say sub $800 even scalped or bundled

Just a theory, but I wonder if the shuffle prioritizes customers that have purchased recently....

I have been selected three times, but have purchased stuff...

Just keep entering and checking fateka, roguecast and parallel miner...

Or, you could get crazy and plan a vacation to microcenter.
Not familiar with fateka, roguecast or parallel miner, getting out some camping gear and heading to microcenter seems less and less crazy. I did pick up a card for 600 an amd 6600 xt. Sorry for the very slow response.

Antonline has a 3070 bundle with a 12600, and psu if you were looking for a start of a build albeit $1100

Back