Gaming Rig for Under $1k

Oompa

Limp Gawd
I need to build a gaming rig for $1k. Any advice? I would assume it would have 2gb ram, a 7900GT and maybe something like a 3500+? No need for a sound card, but Windows is needed. Thanks guys!

UPDATE:

I went on newegg.com and made the following. Any suggestions, changes, or additions?

Qty. Product Description Total Price
1 DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $112.99
1 COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $44.99
2 SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DWQ120AB2 - OEM $69.98
1 GENERIC XL AMD Shirt - OEM $0
1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3300822AS 300GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $99.99
1 PNY OPTIMA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model $147.99
1 AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model - Retail $188.99
1 eVGA Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $289.00
1 UPS 3 Day Garunteed Service $30.27
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total + Tax $987.20

Assuming you aren't into hardcore overclocking, here's my setup for you:

Case:
Centurion 5 @ $45

CPU:
3700+ San Diego @ $235
or
x2 3800+ @ $297

Motherboard:
Asus A8N-E @ $92

RAM:
G.Skill 2x1 gig DDR400 @ $155

Video Card:
eVGA 7900GT KO @ $290
OR
Sapphire X1800XT 512MB @ $299

Hard Drive:
WD 250 gig 7200rpm SATA 3.0GB/s @ $90

Optical:
BenQ 16x DVDRW w/lightscribe @ $40

Single core total: $947
Dual core total: $1009

I assumed you aren't overclocking, and therefore more tempermental boards from DFI need not apply. You can still do a fair amount of overclocking with this ASUS board, though I wouldn't assume you'll hit huge HTTs either. If you would like to switch to overclocking, to keep it under budget I'd stay with a single core Opteron 144/146, bump up to the DDR500 2 gig G.Skill kit, and decent DFI motherboard. Don't forget to add on a Scythe Ninja! Also, if you do decide that the overclocking Opteron route is a good idea, make sure you hit up this thread, as you'll be able to get a significant amount of money off of your processor purchase.

The only problem I see with that is that I'd like to be more future proof. Therefore I figured the SLI motherboard would be better. Also I updated it, I removed one DVD burner and added just a DVD rom. No point in wasting $10 on an extra burner. Only plan to be using one at a time anyway XD.

Oompa said:
The only problem I see with that is that I'd like to be more future proof. Therefore I figured the SLI motherboard would be better. Also I updated it, I removed one DVD burner and added just a DVD rom. No point in wasting $10 on an extra burner. Only plan to be using one at a time anyway XD.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Ultra-D isn't actually SLI capable without a little ghetto-modding. I'd go for this Asus A8N-SLI for less fidgeting. DFI really isn't worth it unless you're overclocking.

Also, I realized I didn't even include a PSU!
This Enermax Whisper II 535W @ $88 would do the SLI trick.
So would this Antec Truepower II 550W @ $99

XD! Thanks for pointing that out! I also seem to miss something. I added this one. Also thanks for the advice on the mother board. I am going to switch it out for that asus board. My friend has that one and has nothing but good things to say about it.

An updated list will always be found here:
http://www.theoompa.com/Stuff/Awesome/PC.txt

Just remember that the PSU you selected isn't SLI capable, which means that if you do choose to go SLI, you'll have to switch out your PSU as well.

Oompa said:
I selected SLI capable in my new egg search. It should be.
Perhaps you're right, I'm just working off of the recommended PSUs I've used as well as my friends. The TruePower series might be a better idea, but if you'd like to stick to that price point I'd probably go with that Enermax up above.

But the antec is modular. I think it's worth it. If I can't get enough power from it when (or if) I get an SLI setup then I'll upgrade it. But until then I think it should be fine. I am also thinking about droping down to the 3200+. It's a $60 differance and only 200mhz. Does that sound like a good plan?

Oompa said:
But the antec is modular. I think it's worth it. If I can't get enough power from it when (or if) I get an SLI setup then I'll upgrade it. But until then I think it should be fine. I am also thinking about droping down to the 3200+. It's a $60 differance and only 200mhz. Does that sound like a good plan?

are you planning to do some overclocking to compensate? I just think that you'll be holding your rig back a little bit, CERTAINLY if you plan on SLI in the future.

I think the 200mhz would be easy to get back. So yes I plan to do some OCing to compensate. Not to hardcore though. And I am not planning on getting SLI in the future, I just want it to be a viable option. I am trying to make this as future proof as possible. But I also don't have a ****load of cash.

Oompa said:
I think the 200mhz would be easy to get back. So yes I plan to do some OCing to compensate. Not to hardcore though. And I am not planning on getting SLI in the future, I just want it to be a viable option. I am trying to make this as future proof as possible. But I also don't have a ****load of cash.
Hah, I wish we all had shitloads of cash ;)

I gotcha. I think you're right, it wouldn't be too big of a deal to get just a 200mhz OC out of it. If you get an aftermarket hsf (ninja was $38 with fan from newegg IIRC) you'll probably be able to pull a fair amount more from that venice core.

No doubt. But that will come later. Once I get paid.. Income isn't normal. But then again I have an easy job.

under1k.jpg

I have the WD hard drive that quadnad suggested. It has 16MB cache compared to the 8MB seagate the OP was going to get- nothing huge, but it should be faster. I used to swear by seagate but none of thier 16MB models were cheap enough when i was looking. I dont regret the WD at all.
I do not recommend a smart power antec with the possibility of SLi down the road. Dual high end cards is kind of an extreme thing to do and to hook them up to a value PS is asking for trouble IMO.

As I said, the possibility is very slight. If it does become an option then I think I will beable to get the PSU along with the video cards. Also, I swear by Seagate. I've had great experiance with their customer service, so I plan to stay with them.

Stellar said:
seems fine, btu i wud swap out the 144 for a 146 from monarch, its about 20 bucks cheaper than teh 144, and if u live in CA - no tax :)
also, maybe use the ASRock dual instead of the Epox? im not sure how they vary on OCing..also, there may be some cheaper 2gb kits taht arent value ram, just look for deals on newegg or monarch but everything else seems sweet :cool:

quadnad said:
No SLI or SLI capable PSU? OC'ing on a budget board?

hmmm...

SLI is only a *reasonable* option for the highest end of systems.

That's not a budget board, it's just a non-SLI NF4 Ultra board, and it has been known to overclock on par with the Ultra-D and the A8R-MVP, and comes in at the lowest price of the three.

Oompa said:
As I said, the possibility is very slight. If it does become an option then I think I will beable to get the PSU along with the video cards. Also, I swear by Seagate. I've had great experiance with their customer service, so I plan to stay with them.

"Swear by" one company long enough and you'll be swearing AT them eventually. Go with what works. The fastest 7200 RPM drive on the market is the T7K250.

Back