Gaming PC in a rackmount chasis?

mattm

Limp Gawd
Weird Question. Has anyone ever buit a decent gaming rig (nonSLI) in a rackmount chasis? If so, can you recommend which? How was hear/airflow/gfx card resitrctions?

you could definatly do it, but your prolly going to have to run onboard sound, and then find a pci-e riser for you video card, but that was in a 1u. perhaps if you went with something like a 5U it would work, but then why wouldn't you just use a smaller mid tower at that point.

Rackmount workstations are becoming all the rage latley. Dell has a new lineup of rackmount workstations for businesses.

I am thinking about building myself a rackmount workstation soon here for home purposes, so that way I can leave all the home computers in a neat rack and remote KVM to them... nice and clean.

There are so many rack cases, it will depend on your needs. The Norco DS-600S is a great case for thsoe who want 4u chassis and 6 hot swap bays. There are also much much cheaper alternatives being offered by Norco (check newegg). They are great cases for the price and will fit all your consumer end hardware.

Can you? Yes. I did it with taking a case that was rackmountable and shifting it so that it can lay on it's side with rabbit ears attached to it.

Of course I had a cabinet with casters and all the bells and whistles on it so that made it allot easier to mange with my 8 port KVM.

If all you have is one pc then I'd stick to a single case. If you are talking multiple systems then yes it's feasable and allot of fun to do. You'll need some form of HVAC system to keep these things cool in a cabinet. Trust me on this.

Yea this would be a multi gaming rigs. I'd like to limit it to 2U - just wondering if anyone has done any cool setups.

I also agree about HVAC ;)

Yea this would be a multi gaming rigs. I'd like to limit it to 2U - just wondering if anyone has done any cool setups.

I also agree about HVAC ;)

2u's would limit you a lot on potentials. However, you can find a 2u easily with an x16 riser, all you need to do is make sure that the motherboard slot placement is proper for the x16 riser.

But yea, this is very doable.

this case is pretty nice i used a while ago. not a lot of room for a long video card though.
this codegen case is cool b/c you can remove the 3.5 drive thing and have a long area for vc or whatever. pull out the fan and put in a nice 100 cfm job and you'll be good. link

Back