Gaming PC Build - Want to run Ultra @1080p 144FPS

jbonez21

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

Here is my current PC build. I want to play games at Ultra settings / 1080p / 144 FPS.

Here are the current games and FPS range I get
H1Z1 (70-100 FPS)
Rocket League (144hz on Performance)
Overwatch (94 FPS - might have a frame lock here)

What upgrades would you suggest? Do you see any opportunities for good performance gains? Thanks!

CPU - Intel i5 3570k
MOBO - MSI Z77A-G45
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz PC3 12800
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970 (Gigabyte)

Well, you have a 3000 series chip and a Z77, so you already have PCIe 3.0 support. That takes care of one potential bottleneck, though I'm sure people will come out of the woodwork screaming to go 6700K+ or go home. I'd recommend ignoring them.

To give a worthwhile recommendation we need more information. First of all, what kind of PSU do you have? This is to determine if you will be power limited while OCing -- only an issue if it's an under ~600w or low quality unit. Second, are you running an OC on your CPU or GPU now, if so what is it, is it stable, and have you tried to go farther?

We need to find the limiting factor in your hardware. I'd start by installing EVGA's PrecisionX software if you don't already have it and setting the OSD to show, at minimum, GPU load percentage, power target percentage, temperature, fan speed percentage, and clocks. Log those for a while and see if you're hitting power target, getting too hot, or if the GPU isn't loading fully in the titles you aren't getting a sufficiently high framerate in.

If the card is too hot (throttling), run the fan faster or look in to aftermarket cooling. If it's hitting power target but staying cool enough, raise the power target. If it's not loading fully, try to raise your CPU / RAM OC and try again.

Go through this process until you find the limiting factor -- it will probably be the video card. If that's the case, I'd wait for benches of AMD's 480X which should be a good step up for you and supposedly only run ~$200. Compare that to the GTX 1070 at around $400, which would probably be the next step up.

Well, you have a 3000 series chip and a Z77, so you already have PCIe 3.0 support. That takes care of one potential bottleneck, though I'm sure people will come out of the woodwork screaming to go 6700K+ or go home. I'd recommend ignoring them.

To give a worthwhile recommendation we need more information. First of all, what kind of PSU do you have? This is to determine if you will be power limited while OCing -- only an issue if it's an under ~600w or low quality unit. Second, are you running an OC on your CPU or GPU now, if so what is it, is it stable, and have you tried to go farther?

We need to find the limiting factor in your hardware. I'd start by installing EVGA's PrecisionX software if you don't already have it and setting the OSD to show, at minimum, GPU load percentage, power target percentage, temperature, fan speed percentage, and clocks. Log those for a while and see if you're hitting power target, getting too hot, or if the GPU isn't loading fully in the titles you aren't getting a sufficiently high framerate in.

If the card is too hot (throttling), run the fan faster or look in to aftermarket cooling. If it's hitting power target but staying cool enough, raise the power target. If it's not loading fully, try to raise your CPU / RAM OC and try again.

Go through this process until you find the limiting factor -- it will probably be the video card. If that's the case, I'd wait for benches of AMD's 480X which should be a good step up for you and supposedly only run ~$200. Compare that to the GTX 1070 at around $400, which would probably be the next step up.

Thanks a lot for your knowledge.

Right now I am running a 500w Corsair Builder PSU - but I do have an 850 watt in my closet that I could install.

I am not currently overclocking and am running everything at stock. I will download the program you mentioned and monitor my loads and report back. I recently looked into possibly OCin'g but found my CPU running at 90 degrees celcius idle. So I installed a new heatsink (Cooler Master T4) and am now running at a cool 35 degrees C.

I have researched the 6700 versus my 3570 and it didn't seem like a big step up in power and would cost me over $400 in replacing the CPU, MOBO, and RAM so it didn't seem worth it to me unless I'm missing something?

I

I totally agree, the 6700K isn't that big a step up for you. Certainly not worth $400.

Definitely get an OC on your CPU though. That alone should make a big difference if you've been running stock. Chances are it was thermally throttling before you got the new HSF as well, so that should make a big difference.

I totally agree, the 6700K isn't that big a step up for you. Certainly not worth $400.

Definitely get an OC on your CPU though. That alone should make a big difference if you've been running stock. Chances are it was thermally throttling before you got the new HSF as well, so that should make a big difference.

Yes I noticed a huge performance increase yesterday (day 1 after installing the HSF). I was getting a lot of FPS drops and had performance issues and think that may have been a major cause.

I'll run that program over the weekend and maybe you can help me find a good level of OC for the CPU

Thanks again!

You just need more GPU power. Either a second 970 or a 980 Ti will be a huge upgrade for you.

Back