Votes: 20 22.7%
  • Average

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

ras2a

Weaksauce
Just what is the 2405 like with regards to gaming (response, smearing, ghosting, scaling capability etc)? There seem's to be a lot of conflicting opinion's. I have had to send mine back to be replaced so didn't get chance to test any games.

I've found reviews to take a more no holds barred approach on this subject myself. Don't mean to offend anyone.

texuspete00 said:
I've found reviews to take a more no holds barred approach on this subject myself. Don't mean to offend anyone.

I hear ya, there are all manner of opinions regarding gaming on this beast. Personally, I am not a hardcore gamer. But, I do love gaming and would certainly plan on playing online - However, I'd most likely be using it for playing GTL / rFactor etc on (online). Mainly due to the fact that I'm CRAP at FPS games online (although I love playing FPS against my mates over the WAN - only coz they are of similar skill-level :p)

I think it should be ok for me...but I will soon find out. I also hear that the scaling is pretty good, too. I also plan on using it for writing music on - using Cubase SX et al.

Most reviews will mention the motion blur for games, and I even sold mine because of the same thing, but so many here swear by them so....

Well, they have a good return policy last I checked. I do tend to avoid hassles like that, so too bad you don't know anyone whom's you can see.

Anyways, that was the only thing I didn't like about the picture. The blacks were good and so is the scaling.

I will make an addition to this thread in fears of getting flamed..

Virtually every lcd(i have not tried them all!) panels are incapable of accurately display an infinately moving object. What this means is, if you have a white background with a black circle constantly moving around the screen at any given speed(unless incredibly slow), you will see the trail(more or less depending on back/foreground colors) from the direction in which it traveled. Possibly if you get absolutely the fastest panel made, this would be less noticable, but with the dell panels, the ms ratings are sub-par(8ms+). Keep in mind that the ms rating is the best case scenario, so ymmv. I have a small trinitron screen, and decided to 'upgrade' to a large lcd. The dissapointment was epic. Playing hl2, you can see fun little trails of objects as you pass by them. The best way to describe it in text, iss likee thiss. Trailss everryywherre.

If you've seen budwises 940bf samsung review video, look very closely. The camera is well enough away from the panel where its difficult to notice the plant blurr in the foreground while he's playing bf2. or whatever game that was.
//edit: AHhhh my eyes, its like someone ran it through that bug nuts photoshop filter that makes everything appear its swirling! Goggles, nothing ;)!!!
http://www.thecowsaysmoo.org/budwise/pics/[H] Forum/BF2001.jpg

My lcd purchase was a samsung 970p, 8bit panel so the response wasnt as good as it could have been, but it gave me a terrific head fuck watching the objects blurr as you pass by them. I'm hoping my lil-trinitron holds out until something decent comes out in ways of PC display. IMO(thats a big IMO), LCD's are something thats easy, cheap, and reliable to produce and the defect rate isn't very high. Granted the performance kinda....sucks really bad compared to their crt ancestors. The 'flat panel' gimmick has shown its popularity and manufacturers have stuck a carrot up our asses by mass producing these pieces of shit. A big meh to lcd technology. The only lcd panels i'll own are the ones in my alarm clock, cellular phone, and oven timer.

:D

it's fine, i have a 2005 and there really isn't too much noticable ghosting, performance is good

i gave it a good, average is always just a little bit too low

i understand ghosting and streaking, but the way you guys bitch about it is just amazing, most people won't notice, and if you stop looking for it you'll get over it

For the record, in online games sometimes a response delay of half a second will get you killed. Note: cstrike, BF2, Quake X, etc. If you quickly aim, and re-adjust once the target is centered, you might just be hindered by that little delay from your display, get shot once more than you would without that "tiny" delay in refresh from your monitor and die. ;)

If you've been CRT spoiled until you buy an lcd, it will irritate you. Personally, that minor blurring was enough to initiate head achingly bad eye strain. Might have gotten used to it over time but instead of letting my brain adjust i shipped it back for full refund. $500 for eyestrain, yea. Cool, right on!

You have my opinion and personal experience with the liquid crystal display technology. Twenty of my life years spent staring at cathoyed ray tube displays, and could not get used to the twitchy choppy refreshing picture of an lcd screen. Bleh, fuck this :D.

I get the sense that LCD's (no matter what the response rate) just aren't up to it for online fragging? However, surely to god there must be some pretty damn fine gamer's out there that use LCD display's, exclusively. I don't plan to play much FPS online...mainly coz I'm crap. I will, of course, be playing other games online - I'm well into racing games now, so that will be my forte - hopefully. LCDs are superb (especially at this size) for so much else.

Besides, I've still kept my Philips Brilliance 201P (CRT) if I ever want to hook it back up.

I absolutely loved how desktop looks on an lcd. Maybe the color representation was off, or i've been seeing colors incorectly for the last decade or so. Desktop display really pops out, very bright and vibrant. As soon as i loaded a game, the novelty was lost by the performance issue. Mainly, i noticed how much choppier it seemed compared to my crt. Same resolution, same video card but the lcd seemed like it was slowing down my $2000 purchase with the choppy refreshing pixels.

I've read yes and no regarding LCDs and games. Apparently some are convinced that omg yes its awesome and some are set on, 'no it sucks bad.' I side with the latter.

I suggest trying it out to decide for yourself. I researched for a few weeks before buying one and it was horrible. Wait for new technology. If your CRT dies, spend $100 for an envision 19" cheap-O model and use it till it breaks. Crappy shadow mask grille CRT but i'd take one of those over an LCD any day. My brother has one it's decent. Dark, and dim compared to Aperature grille or LCD but for the cost it's a fair trade, in my opinion. If you've been overcome by the novelty of 'flat panel' or 'desktop real estate' go ahead get an lcd.

hehe, "desktop real estate." Who is going to put anything in front of their monitor anyways? Maybe a cell phone or wallet, but you wouldnt want to block the view of your monitor would you? Maybe your speakers would fit better but thats about it. The entire bit seems terribly gimmicky! :cool:

Those people who voted not Very Good...maybe you guys should stop smoking weed when playing video games? :rolleyes: just because you got fucked up eyes or you got fucked up monitor does not mean it sux...i got 20/20 vision and i got perfect 2405.

I play every game that has been out past 6-7 months with as high graphics as my 6600GT takes...and I NEVER NOTICED anything and before i used to play on 17"Crt

I would never go back to small screen even less a crt :rolleyes:

ras2a said:
I get the sense that LCD's (no matter what the response rate) just aren't up to it for online fragging? However, surely to god there must be some pretty damn fine gamer's out there that use LCD display's, exclusively. I don't plan to play much FPS online...mainly coz I'm crap. I will, of course, be playing other games online - I'm well into racing games now, so that will be my forte - hopefully. LCDs are superb (especially at this size) for so much else.

Besides, I've still kept my Philips Brilliance 201P (CRT) if I ever want to hook it back up.
I play CS:S for about 5hrs on a weekend day and I usually do pretty good (average around a 1.5kd/r), and when I switched from a 17" CRT to a Samsung 940b 19" I didn't notice my stats go down. On the other hand I got slightly better since now I could see more detail in the distance and therefore made it easier to get headshots, thanks to the extra ~3 inches. A pro cs1.6 player might notice some lag, I didn't.

I have been online fragging for years with an LCD and I am consistently in the top third or better on any game I choose... I never have a problem with screen lag, but then again i have never ran it on weak systems or ran weak panels, and I didn't convert until about 2.5 years ago because until then IMHO they were generally not up to the task. I jujst got a new Gatweay 21" and it is awesome, not only visually but I have not had any grey/black gradient transition problems, no screen lag, no tearing, nothing.

So i hear a 4 stroke engine has way more throttle response than a 2 stroke? :rolleyes:

The preceeding three replys are prime example why you should decide for yourself, if an LCD is right for you. I have less than perfect eye sight and i can see the obbjectt trrailss usingg an lcdd. Granted you turn down your mouse sensitivity, you might not notice it much. Half life 2, sensitivity 4.5.

All excellent replies, cheers guy's - tis much appreciated. I'm gonna be testing it out on Monday night (when I get the new one), so, as you say, I can see for myself.

I think the beauty of the 2405, is that it's decent (allegedly) at scaling resolutions. For desktop/apps etc this would be crud, but in game's I guess you won't notice it 'as much'; Great for when your Vid card just won't keep up.

I was all set to get the Acer F-20 - It looks amazing and has great specs (incl 8ms response?), but it is a little pricey for only a 20" WS...besides, no-one has commented on how good (or not) the scaling is etc.

It would be great if someone could comment on how they find playing sim racing games on the 2405 ?

cheers all

RegisteredToPost said:
hehe, "desktop real estate." Who is going to put anything in front of their monitor anyways? Maybe a cell phone or wallet, but you wouldnt want to block the view of your monitor would you? Maybe your speakers would fit better but thats about it. The entire bit seems terribly gimmicky! :cool:

You are just trying to justify yourself sticking with CRT. I only have a 18" LCD, equivelent in viewable area to a 19" CRT. The LCD is sitting at the back of my desk to get a good viewing distance, and that also means that I have the entire front of my desk open for my keyboard and mouse. I have the advantage that if I want to write something or work with papers I can shove my keyboard up underneath the LCD and have just about my entire desk free. Plus, my desk is almost touching the wall to save floor space. Now if I had a 19" CRT I would not only have to pull the desk out from the wall to have room for the tube sticking off the back, I would have just enough room for my keyboard and mouse and no flexibilty with what I can do on my desk. So no, the form factor is not just a gimik.

have just finished playing Quake 4 for like 4 hours...at 1600x1200...max everything else...

i got no complaints...i know Quake 4 isnt all that hardware stressful but still....

My 2005 is excellent for gaming. As for sacling, I prefer to play in the 1:1 ratio with black bars on the left and right. So if needed I could choose 1280x1024 with the image at the center of the screen and no scaling is needed.

I have logged a ton of hours on mine playing WoW and it just is amazing for it. 1920x1200 is great as long as your game supports it and your hardware can run it well...

There are probably a lot more LCD owners convincing themselves then the other way around. There are several documented factual advantages that would lend themselves to the CRT being better most of the time.

Despite everyone raving on these boards how perfect there 2405 is, nearly any review out there will tell you it's not "very good" at gaming. Keeping up in gpus to do 1920*1200, to have your display smear the image is not "very good." The response rate is north of 20ms when things aren't "best case." Practically a fact that a high end CRT like an FW900 is a better gaming display if the space is available. The pace of LCD improvement in comparison to other things in the tech industry is actually pretty poor. The tech will be killed before it can be perfected by something that doesn't have as many inherent downfalls.

You try to be open to other viewpoints, but I find the amount of people that can claim somthing that smears in movement, has input lag, and bad blacks is a perfect gaming display. Raise your standards so something good can come out.

So, sorry for jumping into the brewing argument (why I stayed kind of vague early on). But read the reviews. Almost all of them find it unsuitable for gaming. Can't stress that enough. There is an early article from extremetech that finds it good enough. That's about it. Anything written after the big buzz of affordable 24" LCDs wore off, says what we so called CRT lovers have said.

The aspect ratio scaling on this bad boy is pretty nice. I use this guy for gaming currently. It certainly *does* have refresh issues that I notice but...its getting the job done for me. I was a little disappointed when I first got it but I've grown to love the 16:10 screen and the connectivity that this panel offers. I don't think I could go back to 4:3 after using this for a few weeks now.

ahh texuspete, the biggest anti-2405 guy on this board. I know, I know "just want to worn the public blah blah" Yes yes the FW900 is perfect also with its blurry text and 100+ lbs and its geometry issues.

Yes, I am a hardcore gamer and I love my 2405!! I would not go back even if texuspete held a FW900 to my head.

checklist:

smearing/blurring : never noticed it and yes I am sensitive to this sort of thing.

response time : completely acceptable with the current games I play. CS:S. WoW. FEAR. HL2.

It seems like people would love to give this monitor a bad name and I just dont get it. Do you really think that all those people that voted "very good" in the poll are just too proud to admit that they made a mistake?

bleh /rant off

You just don't like what I have to say. You're obviously not sensitive. Reviews all agree with me. Review responses would flip this poll exactly on it's head.

They should all read like this:
You should also look elsewhere if gaming is what you're most interested in. The latency is really too high. And to be able to play your games in native resolution, you'll need a Ferrari of a graphics card - Half-Life 2 or even Need for Speed: Most Wanted at this kind of resolution draw a lot of processor resources. And you don't want all that amazing polygon rendering spoiled by smearing on your display.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/31/do_you_want_a_16_9_lcd_monitor_now/page9.html

-------------------------

It is time for the Samsung engineers to wake up. Or is it the Korean marketing department? This 16 ms monitor, 8 ms according to Samsung, and the 16 ms PVA Dell 1704V doesn’t provide better results than the 25 ms tested here during the last few years.

Of course, playing World of Warcraft with this monitor is extraordinary. If you have a very good graphic card, playing in 1920 x 1200 is a real pleasure. It is hard to come back to smaller monitors. But for Unreal or other FPS it is another story. If the character is static, we can only admire the contrast, color quality, precision of the shapes (at least with the standard resolution). If you move your mouse, it ruins everything. There is an afterglow and this is quite unbearable for really fast game fans.

You will, however, get used to this afterglow in time. It is disturbing but it all depends on the level of quality you require.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/567-2/23-and-24-lcd-monitors-roundup.html

The monitor is ok at gaming. You just don't like how it comes out and what not. Well, I don't like it when people insinuate CRT'ers are high. If Mr spouting off can't see smearing on a LCD that is factually very average in reponse rate, maybe he should check what he's taking. I don't care. Until I see more, "well it blurs but I prefer that over imperfect geometry," I will be throwing salt at what certain display enthusiasts in here have to say. It's not shit, but if it's "perfect," well these opinions mean nothing to me anymore. See unlike you, I can find much wrong with my FW900 also. Face it, you are easier to please, while I have to pick my poison. Maybe I'm an opposite extreme, but if 20ms+ sometimes is perfect, don't start writing reviews anytime soon.

The monitor is ok at gaming. You just don't like how it comes out and what not. Well, I don't like it when people insinuate CRT'ers are high. If Mr spouting off can't see smearing on a LCD that is factually very average in reponse rate, maybe he should check what he's taking.

<checks goodie bag>
lifesavers
percocet
piece of lint
vallium
a donut

Sincerely,
Mr Spouting

Did you call people high? No... but you're certainly working your way to claiming the spouting title as your own. You say I post this all the time. I'm merely pointing out that I tried not to hurt guys like yours feelings, but sure I felt urged to post by Dr. Makaveli's high comments.

latency_dell2405fpw.gif

Forget this thread and read the reviews like I suggested OP. If that's perfect and I apparently just have a bone to pick with this display, then all I see is fertilizer.

Last time you tried to "call me out," you didn't even know it was a PVA panel. So yeah, it's getting kind of annoying. There is no substance or retort about anything other than my character. gg. Stop not being able to hang in a display conversation and then insulting me.

umm last time we argued, you thought that MVA panels were better than PVA panels so dont even go there.

[Edit] and about calling you out, I will do so whenever I think you or anyone is biased or full or shit

cheers

The Vp191b beating the 2405FPW right there is an MVA. You know, the panle without the wonky overdriven erratic line, the flat one? After I informed you about overdriven PVA's you read a blanket statement about PVA>MVA, and I tried to correct you. Really, stop embarassing yourself. Post your views fine. My complaints are known issues with LCDs. If you want to get into a display tech discussion, I'm eager to participate.

Actually, your memory fails you.

You made two statements about the MVA panels which were uninformed.

Be nice to see some more MVA panels get into bigger monitors.

MVA's probably the best for gamers.

and then you were backpedaling a little bit here because I pointed out that PVA is actually more advanced technology than MVA.

To be honest I should read up on MVA more, but I got out of the LCD game for now after my 2405.

anyway, lets get back on topic.

You're really bad at this. I see nothing there at all. Except probably being a little more humble than I need to be on point3. Shits sake man, an MVA is handing a 2405FPW it's ass right there in that graph. Understand? I would trade blacks for response. I always harp on the wretched blur. The blanket statement you read when when I pointed out the different types of panels doesn't change the fact that some of the best LCDs for gamers are MVA. Face it.... you have lost.

First advice fits. Read the reviews.:
There is still hope…

In the first page we described the list of all the ingredients required to make a nice roundup. We had two technologies competing, fast response time, nice ergonomics…We also added high contrast ratios and very wide viewing angles. Our conclusion was: we have everything we need in order to succeed.
In fact, one ingredient was lacking: a manufacturer. No one uses this manufactured panel yet, but it should be released in the months/weeks to come. If we take a look at the panel makers, there is fierce competition between Samsung and LG-Philips, but there is another one AU Optronics. This Taiwanese maker offers a new 23" panel not yet included in any monitors, even at BenQ, which is the same company. This panel is nonetheless very interesting. It would be an oversized version of the one included in the VP191b, the first LCD monitor in history to provide good games, video, photo… quality. Like this panel, this one is a Premium MVA with an 800:1 contrast ratio, a 250 cd/m² brightness and an 8 ms G2G response time. On the paper it appears as strictly identical. Now we will have to see it in practice…

--------------------------------

Our titles fit Mr. Skittzle. Blanket statement don't take into account progress. If you had seen how much better the VP191b is in motion, you wouldn't have had to keep doing this to yourself. Still find issue with I wish MVAs would get into bigger monitors etc? The response is flat! You are pwning yourself quite nicely. Continue.

Horrible grammar pete. Yes you are right on all accounts and I am very sorry that I decided to tangle with the likes of texuspete. :rolleyes:

Ok, I've just managed to play some games on the 2405. I have to say (having NEVER used an LCD monitor for games before) some of the talks regarding how bad this monitor is for gaming, were, for me at least, unfounded. I thought the games were absolutely playable. Sure, I could see the trailing effect etc, but it didn't detract from playing the games at all. Also, the scaling seem's absolutely fine. I haven't had any experience using other LCDs - so nothing to compare it to, but thus far it's a bloody brilliant monitor

I'm well chuffed and certainly wouldn't go back to my CRT just for the sake of gaming etc...yep, very happy chappy here. :) This thing will do me just fine.

However, I appreciated all the input.

Back