Gaming on the BIG Wide Whatever

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett HardOCP MasterChef Editor Staff Member

Gaming on the BIG Wide Whatever

The angry beavers at HardwareCanucks have posted a video of Razer's Project Ariana in action. If you have not seen this, it is worth taking a look. I am not sure how the actual experience of using it would be however, and I have heard that the system is far from inexpensive for what you get, but the video is pretty damn cool.

Now, since they suggest this makes triple screen gaming look like a kid's toy, it did make me harken back to building a 30 foot wide Eyefinity screen at the AMD / HardOCP Texas GamExperience four years ago. I would suggest for the enthusiast that wants to take matters into his own hands, you can make Razer's Ariana look like a kid's toy pretty quickly. A big blurry-as-hell overpriced kid's toy actually. So to answer the Beave's question, "The BEST Gaming Display EVER!?" I would have to reply, "You guys need to get out more."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Mav451, Emission, iQuasarLV and 2 others like this.
  2. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

I don't understand this one and I can't help but think it's a big (hehe) gimmick. It's like you wanted a normal projector but couldn't afford it so settled with this.

Then again, it's almost like a scaled up and more immersive version of things like Dreamscreen which for some reason i think is kinda cool. http://www.dreamscreentv.com/

3. BeavermanA

BeavermanA 2[H]4U

Think that would annoy the shit out of me.

sleepeeg3, ChoGGi, M76 and 6 others like this.
  4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

hard to tell I'm sure because it's just a video of the effect, but the video of the effect looks quite confusing with all that other information, and this is information the game will have to supply? So there's a way to get an "advantage" if playing some MP game versus another who doesn't have the technology because you can see around you more?

But who knows, maybe in practice your focus is still on the center screen and don't get as distracted by the other stuff.

5. jimbob200521

jimbob200521 Limp Gawd

Not sure if I like this or not, I think I'm going to go with not.

Edit: IF they refined it by making the projector just show your surrounds like trees, building, whatever the environment may be, that'd be different. But to have your arms, weapons, etc also bleeding into it? That kinda kills my interest in it, too much going on.

tunatime likes this.
  6. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

Looks distracting as shit and the wall behind my TV in the living room is matte black.

7. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

All that effect is definitely designed for your periphery only. Even when I had a 3x23" Eyefinity setup, you only really focus on the center monitor. The side two just add to the immersion by filling in your peripheral vision.

Kalabalana likes this.
  8. TAP

TAP n00bie

Why not just project a bigger overall image? There are few things more immersive than gaming on a home theater projector.

9. VIC-20

VIC-20 Gawd

Tiburon1186 likes this.
  10. DocSavage

DocSavage 2[H]4U

It looks like they're playing on a 30" monitor from 10 feet away. That'd be the opposite of a captivating experience for me.

Mav451, ChoGGi, alxnet7227 and 4 others like this.
  11. Formula.350

Formula.350 Limp Gawd

Yes they do mention it, if you watch the video. They even show M$'s version lol Saying it basically takes it to another level (and to be fair, it does.)

At any rate.. I have to agree with everyone, it's just a bit too distracting and blurry to make it a really immersive and enjoyable experience.

Personally I'd rather it not have such a huge throw, because then it's getting into your peripheral vision and that's where the distraction comes. Seems like you'd be continually glancing over to see what's happening and taking your eyes off what matters, because we're so used to just interacting with the screen, so I don't think our instincts would be to turn that way in game to see what's over there. I'd say that perhaps only an additional foot or so on just the sides would be a little less distractive. Plus, based just on what I'm seeing, it almost looks as though it's not really rendering anything outside what your screen is displaying, and only stretching out maybe a hundred pixels at the edge of the screen. Or, worse yet, it may actually configure your system to Overscan so it can actually use what is now lost on your screen to project outside (maybe with a bit of stretching to boot), just so it appears to be doing something worthwhile...

But Kyle...
    To be fair, in your quote from the article, it did only say "Razer's Project Ariana may make their triple-screen Valerie look like a kids [sic] toy." I don't know if they were actually taking a jab at multi-screen gaming in general. Just my 2cents though :p

Xinmosni likes this.
  12. OregonLAN

OregonLAN 2[H]4U

I understand what they are trying to achieve, but it's very distracting and gimmicky IMHO. They need to project onto a screen that's wider than the FOV or project into a spherical room without flat surfaces or objects. Having a small screen and objects in the center detracts from the "immersion" effect.

13. Cobra

Cobra 2[H]4U

As someone who games on a 120" projector screen I have to ask how is this any different than using any other projector with a screen that is too small for the image you are projecting? It doesn't make any sense at all to me.

tunatime, DocSavage, Koween and 2 others like this.
  14. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Limp Gawd

To me it kind of misses the point of projecting on a wall to play on a big screen it was obvious ( at least to me) the resolution didn't look like it matched the monitor it was on and the FOV stretched everything out way to much.

15. otherweeb

otherweeb Limp Gawd

I like the idea, but it needs the dark room and I can't sit that far from the screen a because I am a member of the PC Master Race.

Mav451 and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  16. Burticus

Burticus [H]ard|Gawd

I like the 3 way driving setup, I need one of those for my garage

Singularity_Survivor likes this.
  17. virtualheretic

virtualheretic Limp Gawd

Given the right game I think this would be epic!!
    But as some mentioned when Im trying to concentrate on a game I think it would be distracting.

Kind of a catch 22. I also dig the smart light integration and the keyboard looked neat too (same catch 22 as the projector though).

18. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

When the video first starts, dude is playing on a 40 in screen from 15 feet away. This is dumb.

AYFSM ?

19. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

I can't tell if this is more distracting than cool... A bit of both probably. I think a 60" (or larger) 4k screen would be a better experience for me personally. The mood lighting (phillips hue) that changes with the game looks kind of subtle and fun though..

20. Wierdo

Wierdo [H]ard|Gawd

I'd have to try it before passing judgement, I imagine it may possibly provide immersion if it's outside the eyes' focus, which would be great. On the other hand it might just end up causing distraction or headaches instead. They'll need to demo this at a local Best Buy or something so I can figure out which way this would go - at least for me personally.

Kinda hard pressed to go for this when mainstream VR adoption's on the horizon potentially though.

21. Kellsindell

Kellsindell [H]Lite

I'm just glad Kyle didn't post the vid with me in it, but getting on subject: I think it's gimmicky. I can't think of an application that it'll actually look good, and to call it immersive... My eyes just don't work that way. I might be the only one.

The [H] event was awesome, and we need another one. IJS

22. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or...?

Also, AYFSM?

23. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons Limp Gawd

It looks like trying to play on a giant shitty projector with only a very tiny viewable portion. I don't get it. Wouldn't your vid card still have to render all this extra junk anyways? The reason I'm a PC gamer is because I like having a 30" monitor 12" from my face, not so I can be 15' away in a recliner surrounded by blurry light.

Parja and DocSavage like this.
  24. Vaulter98c

Vaulter98c [H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009

25. DocSavage

DocSavage 2[H]4U

Are you fucking shitting me? :D

26. Lith1um

Lith1um 2[H]4U

I'm thinking it would be immersive. I used to own Cyborg AMBX gaming lights and the effect was very cool in games which supported it, like Battlefield. When you would run through the bazar the effect of sun light coming through the gazebo style roof was very cool as it was cast on the wall behind your monitor in your peripheral vision. People here slagged the fuck out of them, most without trying them. Kind of like how people slag on the bezels on eyefinity or NVidia surround without ever trying it.

27. Formula.350

Formula.350 Limp Gawd

I also just realized.... Would this not still create a huge reflection in most circumstances? I mean, unless you mount it at the perfect height, which I doubt everyone will be capable of doing. For example, I have a vaulted ceiling, nevermind my Dragon's Breath gray walls (and yea that's the actual color name, all my paint colors have cool names lol). Ideally the floor, but that'd require a big screen and seated at the proper distance :\

In short... this ain't gonna be a success at all! lol

28. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

It looks like shit.

29. Monte

Monte Da Man

That's cute Razor but it's more distracting than functional.

30. amdgamer

amdgamer [H]ardness Supreme

That setup would make me so motion sick I would barf. Seeing how it is a simple FOV adjustment, I feel that Microsoft's concept is far more refined.

31. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Part of the whole point of PC gaming is to be, at most, a few feet away from the screen, so using a >90 degree FOV makes sense.

With how far away they were, I'd be curious to know if the people playing could even read the HUD display.

32. M76

M76 2[H]4U

It looks like a drug induced delirious fever dream.

AK0tA and tunatime like this.
  33. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Speaking of which I kinda want this.

AK0tA likes this.
  34. tybert7

tybert7 2[H]4U

When I heard mention of a projector and saw the still of the video I thought Razer decided to do something interesting, like build a gaming focused projector to cut down on latency while allowing much larger display sizes that projectors bring, bonus if they got laser projector for gaming.

And then I watched the video.... wtf were they thinking? Some hideous unclear lights going all over the place?

What about my dream of an entire WALL turned into a display? They are not even trying to get us there.

Come on VR guys and display guys, razer has failed us, bump up the resolution to 4-8k to give me my personal imax screen.

35. Kalabalana

Kalabalana [H]ard|Gawd

A lot of confusion in this thread.
    Regardless, let's trim the fat.
    This is for better immersion. It achieves this.

What I expected from this forum was consideration of the extra horsepower required for the larger graphical view window.
    SoftOCP in this thread, where are the old dogs?

Lith1um likes this.
  36. GaryJohnson

GaryJohnson [H]ard|Gawd

Does it?

37. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Gawd

Well I already have a projector that will fill my wall (most of it), why would I want to play on a dinky little screen that seems hard to see (with some pretty lighting). Which I feel would take away from my immersion?

38. tybert7

tybert7 2[H]4U

This idea reminds me of those tacky laser projected "christmas lights"

You have the right idea, make the wall your screen.

39. Bootleg Usher

Bootleg Usher Gawd

I liked the part about integrating with the Phillips hue lights. Even if you didn't have the crazy projector, I could see situations in games where it would be cool to have dynamic background lighting in the room or around your desk. For example, you get shot in an FPS, the walls flicker with red like on the edges of your screen. Your playing the Witcher and night turns to day. As the sun gradually rises the hue lighting changes with it, making it seem like the sun is rising in your room.

ChoGGi likes this.
  40. sboucher

sboucher Limp Gawd

Meh, better experienced in VR..