Gaming on LCD TV, Tearing

DITC

Limp Gawd
Hey, I get some tearing gaming on my LCD TV, Sony KDL40BX400AEP (might be localized model name), it's a 40inch LCD, I'm connected DVI > HDMI, I'm at 1920x1080p 60hz in Windows and all games.

Most games tear. I'm guessing the ones where I get more than 60fps?

I've got a 5870, Vsync is forced on in CCC, games like Stalker (COH and COP) it's set in the game menu as well.

It's not too bad, still wondering if it can be eliminated completely though?

Would limiting the FPS to under 60 FPS work? I can do that in some games I guess...

I might try using VGA > VGA as well, think that'll give me poorer image quality than DVI > HDMI? Noticeably so?

you don't have to exceed your refresh rate to see tearing. sure the higher your framerate the more tearing that is likely to occur but it really depends on the game. some games tear horribly even at 20fps and that's just the way it is. flickering lights, muzzle flash and many other effects in a game can cause noticeable tearing in many games regardless of the framerate.

one of the reasons I got rid of my ATI card was that forcing vsync wasn't working in the games I was playing. with Nvidia when you force it on in the driver it actually works.

Last edited:
cannondale06 is right, you tear at all frame rates including below your refresh rate.

Vsync removes it completely although sometimes it can be troublesome turning it on, most games dont have vsync controls and drives sometimes fail to force it correctly. There are some 3rd party tools you can use to force vysnc on. I think ATI tray tools works well, It's been a while since i've used 3rd party apps for that sort of thing.

do you have a monitor connected as well? if they're tearing on that it could be a driver issue.

if not, i would try vga (i had tearing on my tv, but switching from vga to hdmi fixed it for me) and i'd always check the settings on your tv. maybe try game mode? set the picture size to actual pixels if you have that setting? i can't think of what else to suggest.

PrincessFrosty, I just tried ATI Tray Tools, but after I installed it I couldn't get Stalker SOC to even start, weird. Just crashes, uninstalled Tray Tools and it starts again...

Majinhoju, I will be trying VGA tomorrow, see if that fixes it, I have a monitor as well, but can't remember if it was tearing there as well, I'll have to check that as well. I have 1:1 pixel mapping on, I think it was called "full pixel" on this TV.

And I've found out that not all games tears, just some, especially the two Stalker games, SOC and COP.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Vsync should eliminate tearing completely; if it doesn't, it's not working.

If Tray Tools didn't work (are you sure you got the latest version?), you could try D3DOverrider which comes with RivaTuner, or this SSAA tool which has a bunch of other options. Both can force triple buffering, which is an absolute must with vsync on.

I tried D3DOverrider, forced Vsync, but there was still tearing in the game, looked to be no difference. I don't know, maybe it's just the Stalker games being weird...

Also, we can rule out playing on the TV being a problem, it's just a general problem of tearing, I tried on my monitor and it's the same there. And games like Singularity and Wolfenstein has no tearing.

Think I'll take this to the Stalker forums.

just some games? it could driver related. i haven't checked recently, but i got bad tearing on unreal engine 3 games with my 4890. i'll check again to see if the latest drivers have resolved it.

Back