Gaming on a VM thru a remote console

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been playing with ESXi for a couple of months now, it is a great environment for anything not tied to specific hardware eg. I could not get a USB modem to work properly.

What I would *LOVE* to do is have a gaming VM, probably Windows 7, with full DX11 video support and audio support. Not only that, I want to access this gaming VM thru a remote console and not directly on the host itself ala Xen.

The question is can this be done? It doesn't have to be an ESXi solution as I'm using that environment mostly for learning. If I install ESXi onto a USB key I can load something else on the host and switch to ESXi whenever I need to without reinstalling (although it means I probably should really think about building a SAN). Can Xen or Hyper-V or any other bare-metal hypervisor do video acceleration and audio thru a remote console?

The short answer is no.

The long answer involves a lot of specific hardware requirements and some luck, and the caveat that it will not be anywhere near as fast or smooth as running the gaming setup baremetal. There have been several threads about this in the past few months.

I tried and failed :D, VM are meant to be used for server not for gaming. The performance of the virtualized VGA is mediocre, can't even play hitman 2 on a GTX 660

Kinda. RemoteFX on hyperV is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for, but still may not be enough. Look into it.

or PCoIP to a remote machine would work
(I can almost play games on a physical machine in Texas while im in CT)

Back