Gaming on 65 watts?

Jsalpha2

Limp Gawd

Intel Core i5-10400 Comet Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1200 65W for mid-range gamer. Upgrade from 3770. Budget with mobo and RAM is $500.​

Have case. power supply and video card. thanks

Intel Core i5-10400 Comet Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1200 65W for mid-range gamer. Upgrade from 3770. Budget with mobo and RAM is $500.​

Have case. power supply and video card. thanks
you have that cpu already? so you just need to choose mobo and ram?

No I need all three. I was asking if the 65 watt cpu would do the job. It is low heat and comes with a fan and heatsink.

Yep the 10400 is great for gaming especially at its price point of <200 USD

No I need all three. I was asking if the 65 watt cpu would do the job. It is low heat and comes with a fan and heatsink.
I bought a 10700 on ebay for $260, a msi mag b460 torpedo for $100 new. add in 16gb of ram for $80 ish. now you're up to $440. you can either spend whats left over on a different cpu like a 10600 or more ram. I'm planning to do the power limit overclocking. heres some articles about it:

https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-b460-h410-power-limit-overclocking
https://wccftech.com/intel-comet-la...ock-msi-h470-b460-h410-motherboards-detailed/

I just happened to watch this today, the 10400 looks like a great gaming processor.

10400 is great but only if you plan on not overclocking.

10600k may be worth the extra scratch to just buy it used.

Read this Review, but still am confused. Don't want to wait much longer. Requirements are $500 max and run cool, no overclocking.

Read this Review, but still am confused. Don't want to wait much longer. Requirements are $500 max and run cool, no overclocking.

10700 will peak higher than 65 watts. It's a great processor for the money though at ~275. You should be able to set power limits in the bios (i.e I run eco mode on my 3900x and power draw shows 87ish watts in apps vs 140ish stock)

Do you live near to a MicroCenter? They price match and you should go in and talk to someone in the build your own pc department, if so. You'll be able to get it new if you can fit it in your budget same day.

Otherwise you'll know what you need to do when you are done

CleanSlate. thanks. but I live many miles from anywhere. will probably buy from NewEgg. Best CPU under $250 Motherboard @ $150 and the rest for RAM. If I have to pay extra for cooling, then the budget will have to go down elsewhere. Will not water cool. Do not want a giant heavy cooler (sorry 212). Something like a Noctua NH-L9x65 if it will fit.

Back