Gaming Nettop?

laserdemon

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for a very small, 10" gaming netbook. Any thoughts? Probably going to have to wait for the Ion machines, I like the Asus N10, but I think its worth the wait to get the Ion.

I dont want it for hardcore, just want to play some wow, FPS and RTS stuff while I am on the road.

aside from the N10 they all use intel950 gpus, so you're not going to be able to play any major games much newer than about 3 years old.

nettop =! gaming. Sorry but most of these carry intergrated graphics which share ram and cpu from the system. Considering that the cpu in these are not that powerful, I wouldn't expect to get much performance wise unless they beef up the nettop, in which case it wouldn't be a nettop anymore :rolleyes:. I would consider getting a small 12in with dedicated graphic. They'll be more expensive, but better for gaming.

nettop =! gaming. Sorry but most of these carry intergrated graphics which share ram and cpu from the system. Considering that the cpu in these are not that powerful, I wouldn't expect to get much performance wise unless they beef up the nettop, in which case it wouldn't be a nettop anymore :rolleyes:. I would consider getting a small 12in with dedicated graphic. They'll be more expensive, but better for gaming.

Yeah I understand that, but I want to stay small, traveling alot, and play some. The near future of netbooks is looking nice and after doing some more research the ION is probably the best with it having a n280 and a 9400m (probably). I think that would foot the bill pretty well.

I think you are missing some key information and thus your conclusion of nettop != gaming is not quite correct. The fact is a netbook/top has a very low resolution. While gaming at HD resolutions is cool and all, some of us like to pwn a little face while on the road w/o carrying a 6lb+ brick. You can game quite effectively with a modest amount of GPU power. The asus book proves that. Right now the reason we can't even do light gaming at the $300-$400 mark is because of Intel fucking over nVidia. I wouldn't even call the Intel chipset a "graphics" chipset. It is a joke.

That depends on how you're defining gaming. Sure it's not going to run Crysis, but for older classics like Fallout 2 and Civ 3, or indie games like Crayon Physics a netbook should be fine.

i'd wait for the ion to come out if i were you, unless like me you dont care for gaming on the go then get the NC10, sorry prolly preaching too much about that lappy, im getting one soon so im excited

Well, I hope you enjoy it, it's a very nice netbook, I would be interested in how intensive games like L4D would run on a netbook.

idk whats so great about that computer. maybe i am missing out on something. gfx maybe? i just bought an eee pc 1000ha for $340+$20 for 2GB ram instead of 1. Thats a 1.6GHz atom cpu, 160GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 667 RAM, 1.3MP webcam, wireless b/g, 10" screen, and 6-cell (5-6 hours!) battery. that seems to match everything on your 800-dollar laptop. am i missing something? i do not intend to game at all on this thing. i might try l4d cuz it seems to run ok on crappy computers better than tf2, but ill probably stick to audiosurf. :p i have no idea what the gfx card is except that its crap. could someone fill me in on what the n10-j has that this one (which costs half as much) doesnt? so far its bluetooth/wireless-n (+$50) and a 320GB HDD instead of 160 (+$50), and fingerprint reader (who cares?). Also i found mine for $300 even, 2 days after i ordered it. :\

The GF9300 is a far faster GPU than the GMA950. If you're not gaming, and not trying to play HD video (because you can't be bothered to transcode to native on your desktop) there's no point to the N10J. If you are nothing else can compare.

idk whats so great about that computer. maybe i am missing out on something. gfx maybe? i just bought an eee pc 1000ha for $340+$20 for 2GB ram instead of 1. Thats a 1.6GHz atom cpu, 160GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 667 RAM, 1.3MP webcam, wireless b/g, 10" screen, and 6-cell (5-6 hours!) battery. that seems to match everything on your 800-dollar laptop. am i missing something? i do not intend to game at all on this thing. i might try l4d cuz it seems to run ok on crappy computers better than tf2, but ill probably stick to audiosurf. :p i have no idea what the gfx card is except that its crap. could someone fill me in on what the n10-j has that this one (which costs half as much) doesnt? so far its bluetooth/wireless-n (+$50) and a 320GB HDD instead of 160 (+$50), and fingerprint reader (who cares?). Also i found mine for $300 even, 2 days after i ordered it. :\

Biggest thing for me is the gfx, it will probably out preforme the 6800 go i have in my current lappy. It also comes with xp and vista, no biggie but it does.

Legit reviews did a review of that "switchable" gfx card. I don't know if it is kosher the link to LR though. They found out that L4D is a little choppy even with the 9300m enabled because the processor is really not as powerful as even the cheapest dual core processors.

They reviewed the N10Jc-A1, though your processor is still the same.

Doesn't surprise me that much. My C1D 1.73 is able to do Einstein@Home work units almost 3x as fast as my Wind.

plz go www.n10user.com
if you interest in more info about the n10
especially overclocking the N10

I also have a n10j
whenever i play games like L4D, COD4, Fall out 3
i overclock the cpu from 1.6ghz to 2.0ghz
with that speed bump those game before really playable

I'm interested in hearing more about this, I am on the verge of picking up a netbook, but I would REALLY like some gaming performance out of it, but I don't necessarily want to pick up a netbook that's not OSX compatible. That's one of the major draws for me with the MSI Wind and Mini 9 is to be able to dual-boot with XP and OSX.

Anyone able to comment on the possibility of a compatible netbook with a discrete gpu later this year?

I'm interested in hearing more about this, I am on the verge of picking up a netbook, but I would REALLY like some gaming performance out of it, but I don't necessarily want to pick up a netbook that's not OSX compatible. That's one of the major draws for me with the MSI Wind and Mini 9 is to be able to dual-boot with XP and OSX.

Anyone able to comment on the possibility of a compatible netbook with a discrete gpu later this year?

Ok all, I got it on Tuesday and have been playing around with it. If your not going to play games with it, then the Vista is fine. With that said, if you play games, it will cut your FPS in half. I did the downgrade to XP, and this little thing rocks. getting 60FPS in CS:S stress test, WoW around 30fps, that will get better once i overclock it.

I have to give asus credit on this one, I have really enjoyed playing with it so far. I will try to post more asap.

Heh, I just got my kids a netbook and I'm thinking of hooking them up with Starcraft and Moonbase Commander. Those should work :p

There doesn't seem to be any discussion on the Intel GN40 chipset in the new EeePC 1000HE. I'm curios if anyone has one yet and can let us know what it is capable of.

Heh, I just got my kids a netbook and I'm thinking of hooking them up with Starcraft and Moonbase Commander. Those should work :p

Starcraft works great on my AAO. :)

Ok all, I got it on Tuesday and have been playing around with it. If your not going to play games with it, then the Vista is fine. With that said, if you play games, it will cut your FPS in half. I did the downgrade to XP, and this little thing rocks. getting 60FPS in CS:S stress test, WoW around 30fps, that will get better once i overclock it.

I have to give asus credit on this one, I have really enjoyed playing with it so far. I will try to post more asap.

I have installed Starcraft, warcraft 3 all exp, most of my steam games and L4D runs ok, have to turn stuff down. I overclocked it to 2.028ghz today and will test games again after a few hours burn in.

IIRC reading that the 1000HE has the new CPU but is still using the legacy chipset.

If you want to get some gaming done, install ePSXe emulator and play some PS1 games, good fun when on the road. Have it running on my NC10.

I think a quick google search will prove otherwise... :rolleyes:

Oh, so much fail. It uses the same 945GSE that pretty much all netbooks are currently using.

Netbooks with the GN40 chipset aren't going to be hitting the streets until at least second quarter.

Back