Gaming mouse advice?

yfel

Limp Gawd
I'd been looking to get a new mouse since I've been using the same old logitech for like four years, and on my birthday I was given a g5 by a friend. I was pretty excited at first, but after using a completely symetrical mouse for so long I just can't get used to it.

Help me pick a new mouse (prefferable under or near 50 dollars) for gaming (fps mostly).

logitech mx518
deathadder
SteelSeries Ikari Optical* TYPO

used to play counter-strike, would be interested in best mice for fps and head$hots brah

Yeah according to that site that reviews mice extensively, the mx510/18 used to be the best mice. But now deathadder is the best mouse. I bought a deathadder for less than $50 shipped after the right button on my g5 stopped working.

I was looking at the Deathadder originally, maybe I'll check that out.

buy an optical mouse

3 choices only

mx518
ie 3.0
deathadder

pick one

My first post was about how the g5 isn't working out for me =(

I can't get used to the shape of it, and it's hurting my game!

I don't game much anymore, but the mx-518 still in use served me well. Tomorrow I'm going Bluetooth with the MX 5500 combo which should work at least minimally with the PS3.

buy an optical mouse

3 choices only

mx518
ie 3.0
deathadder

pick one

ie 3.0
Deathadder
Ikari

I love the Ikari. It's the first time I've found a mouse that can replace the 3.0 in over 6 years.

The death adder was nice but it skipped for me on my QCK no matter what drivers/firmware I used and I refuse to switch mats for a mouse, and I preferred the feel of the 3.0 anyways.

I'm sure all of those are great for gaming but the thing that matters the most is whether it's comfortable for you. Having said that, the Logitech mice are very nice (I've had the mx518 and the G5) but I can't seem to get a good grip on them for serious gaming. They're awesome for everyday use, though. What I use now is the Razer Copperhead. I'm very happy with that and it has performed wonderfully in every game that I have played.

MX518 is awesome for its price. Go with this if price is an issue.
MS Sidewinder is also a GREAT mouse, but is quite large and semi-expensive.

I personally like the G9 or the Deathadder, but darkpark said it right: Use the mouse that seems most comfortable in your hand.

Oops, my bad. Usually threads like these are started by people who haven't used a gaming mouse before. I skimmed and gave my .02. Shame you couldn't get used to it, it rocks.

Mouse? Real gamers aim with the numpad.

Gyeah! I think that's how I played Duke Nukem 3D. :D

I have the Logitech G5 rev. 2 and the Ideazon Reaper. G5 kicks ass, the Reaper is somewhat comparable, but for my laptop.

Looking to acquire the NZXT Avatar when they finally hit store shelves.

I love my Razer Copperhead. I never had a higher end mouse before it. You probably wouldnt go wrong with a G5 though.

How long have you been using it? At first I didn't like the feel of mine either, shape was quite awkward. However after a few weeks, I can't game without it.

One thing you can do is go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City and try out their mice there. If they have some of the gaming mice available but not on display, you can probably ask to open the box and feel it, I was able to do that with a few keyboards.

I'll add my vote for the copperhead if you can't get used to the g5. I used the copperhead for almost three years but now use a g5 on my main system, still switch back from time to time, I just like having the instant sensitivity switch on the g5 rather than the switch on the bottom like the copperhead. If you want the g5 to feel natural use this sucker for a few weeks "http://www.gogamer.com/Monster-Gecko-Pistol-Mouse-FPS-Controller-Mouse_stcVVproductId4758968VVcatId444861VVviewprod.htm" I own one just because it was around 5 bucks it actually is a really good mouse just really strange to use.

NZXT Avatar, totally symetrical and sexay.

nzxtavatar.jpg

I'll sell you my very very good condition Tempest Blue Razer Copperhead for $35 shipped. Mine broke, so they sent me a new one that I hardly used because I bought my MX518 during shipping. I would highly recommend the copperhead to anyone looking for a high end laser mouse. It glides like no other.

The Razer Copperhead is not the best choice if you don't like symmetrical mice, which people here seem to be forgetting the OP mentioned. The Razer DeathAdder is a much better choice if you like contoured mice. I much prefer my DeathAdder over my Copperhead. The thumb button placement alone makes the Deathadder my favorite mouse ever, nevermind the suberb tracking ability, button responsiveness, and the way it fits so well in my hand.

I'm a big fan of the MS Habu, but that's just me. I've tried most of the rest, and keep coming back to the Habu.

Seems alot of people like the Razer Deathadder.
So if you like the tracking of the Deathadder but not the Shape of it, I think Razer made a Version of the DiamondBack with the Deathadders tracking engine called the DiamondBack-G3..I am not 100% shure of this, so look into it if it sounds like somthing you might like.

The new Microsoft Sidewinder rocks! I love how the thumb buttons are stacked on top of one another. Why didn't anyone think of this sooner? Check Best Buy for coupons and get one when it's on sale. Think I paid around $55 for mine. Has DPI swithcing on the fly also. comes with weights and a cord box that holds the weights and other plastic surfaces for the bottom of the mouse. This is the best mouse I've ever owned!

The main reason I avoid Logitech is because of their horrible software. Whoever was on the development team for SetPoint should be flogged. Even Microsoft's software is miles ahead of Logitech.

I'm a big fan of the MS Habu, but that's just me. I've tried most of the rest, and keep coming back to the Habu.
I agree, i used the habu before I got my razer lachesis (a very good mouse, but you probly wouldn't like it because it is symetrical) and I loved it.

I go for Razer anything. they are just great feeling mice. they have a nice glow too.:)

How long have you been using it? At first I didn't like the feel of mine either, shape was quite awkward. However after a few weeks, I can't game without it.

One thing you can do is go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City and try out their mice there. If they have some of the gaming mice available but not on display, you can probably ask to open the box and feel it, I was able to do that with a few keyboards.

I've been using it for about a month and a half now. I've used the same style logitech mouse literally for years... I started using the ball mouse with quake2 and was using their optical one after those came out. I think I've probably just gotten too used to the symetrical feel of it and need to find something similar, I'll hit up Bestbuy and see what I can find.

I have tried a TON of mice, gaming and non, and I keep coming back to the DeathAdder.. It's a great feeling mouse with awesome tracking ability.

Just a note I think the op meant he likes symmetrical mice and thats why he couldn't get used to the g5 which is not symmetrical, thats why I recommended the copperhead because its completely symmetrical.

oh, good point.. the M$ sidewinder is pretty symmetrical, the main body is.. but it's a honkin large mouse.. more like a rat. :p

Back