Gaming microphone for use with ATH A700's

Bisectors Fore

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I'm currently in the market for a standalone (I think) microphone for use with my Audio Technica A700 headphones. I bought the A700's for gaming and I want a microphone for the same purpose, specifically to communicate with my teammates in MW2. I've seen a lot of people on here recommend the Zalman clip-on mic, and I'll go for that if it will work properly with my headphones. But I seem to remember someone mentioning that due to the thick braided cord (which I like) on the A700's, the Zalman mic did not clip on properly, and since I am going to shell out for a new microphone I don't want to have to juryrig something to get it to work. I would be interested to hear from people who have the same headphones that I have (not the AD700's because from pictures it looks like they may have a different style of cord) if you have used the Zalman clip-on mic with the A700's or if there is another model of microphone that you prefer. If I can I would like to get something in the same price range as the Zalman's ($10-15). Other than that, my main concern is that the microphone will pick up my voice (I don't like having to speak loudly) from a few inches away, and obviously I don't want to have take my hands off the keyboard and mouse to use the microphone. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Zalman should work fine for your uses.

The Samson is more than triple the top end of his budget. :p (although I'm sure its a superior mic)

I use a Zalman Mic myself. Since I have AD700s I won't comment on how it attaches.

It does however work pretty good. It took me a while to get the volume settings dialed in where I wanted but I think it works great. It is awfully sensitive so only use it if you are wearing headphones. Using the Windows mic test option it easily picked up my mouse clicks and keyboard presses even though it was just under my neck.

The Zalman works perfectly on the A700, but you may need a way to raise the cable, and thus the mic, to mouth level for optimal performance.

Thanks everybody. @ Leman, so you are able to clip the Zalman properly onto your A700's despite the thickness of the cord? Also based on your comment I'm not sure what 'optimal performance' would mean in this case, but do you think the microphone would adequately pick up someone speaking in a normal voice while hanging with the cord in the regular position?

IIRC, Zalmon can clip easily to the A700, but I can check later tonight. You don't need to bring the mic to mouth level at all. Mine is at... neck level and my volumes are fine. You may need to tinker with the volume for the mic, but that's obvious for optimizing any mic.

you may need a way to raise the cable, and thus the mic, to mouth level for optimal performance.

I have not found this to be the case. Mine sits just below the collar on a crew neck t-shirt and I haven't had a complaint about my voice or background noise from a jacked up mic (and there is a window unit A/C blasting in the room).

I kept my mic on my desk and didn't have any issues. Although... I am kinda short.

The zalman too quiet for me to use for console gaming, everyone had trouble hearing me regardless of where it was attached, after a couple of days i decided to go with this

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271582

it was less than 6$ and works a ton better than the zalman. (the zalman did just fine for pc gaming, but without the extra mic settings for gain and boost on the console it was almost useless)

it is great, for pc gaming. if you plan on using it on a console, i would read up more on the reviews of people using this on an xobx. most people (myself included) found it to be too quiet even attached to the side of my face. attached to a pc it worked perfectly but i was able to turn on mic boost and gain in vent to make it work perfectly.

also on a side note, the clip on mic picks up everyting in a room, including your television and your sound coming from your pc speakers. a boom mic is a directional mic and will only pick up what you say instead of everying that makes sound in your general area. boom mic = win clip on = weak

sorry for the double post

The zalman too quiet for me to use for console gaming, everyone had trouble hearing me regardless of where it was attached, after a couple of days i decided to go with this

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271582

it was less than 6$ and works a ton better than the zalman. (the zalman did just fine for pc gaming, but without the extra mic settings for gain and boost on the console it was almost useless)

I made the mistake of getting that Labtec mic. That thing is one of the most cheaply made products I have ever bought in my life. It broke the instant I tried to swivel the boom (less than a minute of taking it out of the box). Luckily it was only $9 or $10 bucks so I didn't care enough to send it back to the vendor. I played with it like that for a couple weeks before just tossing it.

Back