Gaming Laptops?

Just sold my Alienware Area-51m

Desktop P4 2.53ghz, 512MB DDR, Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB, 40GB HDD and Combo drive for 400$ to my friends dad actually. It was green.

And it had about an hour of battery life.

I don't miss it.

I understand more recent gaming laptops don't suck as much... but I still won't ever find a reason for having a laptop to game on. The above laptop was a gift from my parents after I got through open heart surgery because that shit sucked.

I still have the Samsung 19" LCD (191T) they gave me for that same reason too.

Ugh that sucked.

sager 5760/clevo m570u

t5600
2 gigs ram
7950gtx
60gig 7200 rpm hdd
wuxga
wifi
blue tooth
xp home

sadly i only have a 1 year warranty, as my reseller got put in jail for 4 years and it will be unlikely that he'll be able to service my laptop after the manufacturer's warranty is up

*edit, i had the same laptop as Optional87, though i only had a 2.4ghz P4, that thing got too hot to the touch (playing CS 1.6), my current clevo is much much better, i can play most current games with max settings and this thing is not as hot or as noisy
with the ati 9000, i wasn't able to play gta III or morrowind at 1600x1200, with my 5760 i can play fear, titan quest, quake 4, hl2 and graw all at max settings @ 1920x1200

Crossposting this from the laptop showcase sticky thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030807092&postcount=706

It's not bad, the only annoying things are the fans, weight, and a buzzing noise through onboard audio when listening to headphones. like tickle_me_elmo, i can play most games at or near maxed settings, but the wrist rest on the left side gets damn hot, because that is where the video card is installed :D

i have an xps m1210. while i wouldnt really call it a gaming laptop, i am able to play games like bf2 w/o any issues. oh yeah and i love my lappy:D

sager 5760/clevo m570u

t5600
2 gigs ram
7950gtx
60gig 7200 rpm hdd
wuxga
wifi
blue tooth
xp home

sadly i only have a 1 year warranty, as my reseller got put in jail for 4 years and it will be unlikely that he'll be able to service my laptop after the manufacturer's warranty is up

*edit, i had the same laptop as Optional87, though i only had a 2.4ghz P4, that thing got too hot to the touch (playing CS 1.6), my current clevo is much much better, i can play most current games with max settings and this thing is not as hot or as noisy
with the ati 9000, i wasn't able to play gta III or morrowind at 1600x1200, with my 5760 i can play fear, titan quest, quake 4, hl2 and graw all at max settings @ 1920x1200

haha reseller went to jail? haha all i can think of is some guy selling you the laptop out of the trunk of his 1987 Toyota Corolla

yeah there's a thread on the reseller rating forum and notebookreview forum

apparently the guy was 22 years old and had some problems with the law, he's getting 4 years for vandalism

this guy is supposed to support our laptops for 2 years after our 1 year manufacturer's warranty is up, i was lucky and didn't have to pay for the extended warranty (i got a free upgrade for a holiday promotion), but some people weren't so lucky, some people didn't even get laptops that they paid for, it's a sad situation all around, and apparently this guy is a unwed father...

i could link you to the threads, but they're both 10 pages, not sure if you're up for the long read

as for pics, i don't own a digital camera, but i did take some pics with my cousin's camera, i suck at taking pictures, most are blurry, this was the best one IMO (i took the pics for a review I didn't end up writing)

M1710 here, all i play is bf2, ut2004, waiting for ut2007 :)

specs in sig...

Compared to what some of you are posting, this probably barely qualifies, but this new laptop I just bought runs some games real great. Played Need for Speed Carbon, Warhammer Mark of Chaos. I need to put Oblivion on this to really test it I suppose. But a happy camper so far.

Everex XT5000T
AMD TL-50 (overclocked from 1.6 to 1.8GHz, maybe more later)
Nvidia Go 7600 256MB (overclocked from 450/400 to 500/500 so far)
2GB DDR2-533 (overclocked to 600MHz at the moment)
100GB 5400 drive (will upgrade that later)

Pretty decent semi-gaming laptop for $750.

@Rav - I never understood the point of overclocking a laptop. To me, personally, a laptop is about battery life and low heat/power requirements. I'd rather underclock/undervolt then overclock/overvolt a laptop, it defeats the purpose of the concept of a laptop. Just my opinion though, lol.

@Rav - I never understood the point of overclocking a laptop. To me, personally, a laptop is about battery life and low heat/power requirements. I'd rather underclock/undervolt then overclock/overvolt a laptop, it defeats the purpose of the concept of a laptop. Just my opinion though, lol.

Same.

I can see a desire to OC a laptop. It actually seems naive to think that people wouldn't want to. I personally won't do it. But the fact that they make gaming laptops and that so many are sold indicates that there is a strong desire not to be tied to your desk yet still have the power to game. The same people who buy gaming systems are usually the same ones who want to OC, since what better way to realize the benefits from OCing. If these same people are realizing the benefits of not being a prisoner of their desktop, than it only makes sense that they will want to do the same modding & OC'ing on their new platforms that they did on their old.

But that just me. . .:D

This is a thread about gaming laptops right? Battery life on most of these larger beasts is already such crap that it hardly matters at this point. :)

This is a thread about gaming laptops right? Battery life on most of these larger beasts is already such crap that it hardly matters at this point.

True, but I suppose it's what you define as a gaming laptop. I consider my Asus W3J 14" X1600 C2D a gaming lapop, although it would hardly compete in terms of game preformance with the larger 19" 7900GTX SLI laptops that are out there. At that point, I'd completely agree with you.

True, but I suppose it's what you define as a gaming laptop. I consider my Asus W3J 14" X1600 C2D a gaming lapop, although it would hardly compete in terms of game preformance with the larger 19" 7900GTX SLI laptops that are out there. At that point, I'd completely agree with you.

Those of us with larger screens have given up on the dream that you 14 and 15 inchers call "battery life". :p

But for me, I'm not flying or traveling a lot, I usually always have access to an outlet where ever I take my laptop. So I wanted the large LCD screen and wasn't concerned about battery life at all. That LCD probably is the biggest killer of battery life and the little overclocking we can do on laptops less of an impact.

But with that 14 inch display, you got a nice balance of gaming power and battery efficiency I believe. And that is good too of course.

Depends what you're using it for. You should only be running in the OCed profile while gaming, and you should be plugged into AC to do that. Is there any reason you can't reconfigure your system to both underclock/volt on battery/idle and overclock/volt while on AC/full load?

you do realize that's one of the best deals for a laptop in the past 6 months? (from a hardware stand point, i don't know much about the support and build quality of that laptop)

i think acer had a model with the same specs, except it was with a 15.4 inch screen and it sold for $1,000

Sager Notebook
Radeon 9600
512 ram
1.5 intel centrino
it runs everything fine, but it gets really loud and hot. I've already melted a hard drive.

Dell Inspiron e1705

CD 1.66
2GB DDR2-667
80GB 7200rpm HD
1920x1200 Truelife Glossy
nVidia GeforceGO 7900gs
8x DVD burner

Paid about $1400 total last June, back when Dell still did 40% off coupons. I miss those days.

Ravynmagi said:
Compared to what some of you are posting, this probably barely qualifies, but this new laptop I just bought runs some games real great. Played Need for Speed Carbon, Warhammer Mark of Chaos. I need to put Oblivion on this to really test it I suppose. But a happy camper so far.

Everex XT5000T
AMD TL-50 (overclocked from 1.6 to 1.8GHz, maybe more later)
Nvidia Go 7600 256MB (overclocked from 450/400 to 500/500 so far)
2GB DDR2-533 (overclocked to 600MHz at the moment)
100GB 5400 drive (will upgrade that later)

I bought the same laptop and put Stalker and TDU on it so far. Both titles play on medium resolution and detail settings. I just put 2GB of 667 GSkill ram in it, but saw little to none improvement in Stalker. I have not run TDU with the new ram yet. After I drop a 7200rpm drive inside it will be one decent machine. As for OCing a laptop, I will most likely clock the GPU a bit to improve my gaming experience, but not the CPU or Ram (though people were able to push this particular laptop to 1.9 gHz on the TL-50. Also CPU is accessible, so people are already swapping the cores for TL-56 and word is it will take TL-60. An added bonus of two hard drive bays ! Deal? You bet !!!

Back