Gaming Laptop

mikeczyz

Limp Gawd
It is time for me to buy a new computer but it needs to be a laptop. I currently live abroad and am returning home to the US in a year or so. I don't wanna ship a desktop when I return home so a laptop it is. This brings me to my first question:
Are any of you familiar with boutique laptop builders who ship abroad?

My budget is around $2,500 bucks. This is going to be a desktop replacement gaming laptop so I am looking for a core i5 or (even better) core i7, 5870 Crossfire or 480m etc.

Where should I start my search? I have already looked at Alienware systems, Puget seems to pimp out a Sager pre-built, Maingear...where else? Falcon NW is WAAAY too expensive.

Thanks

Have you looked at the "budget" gaming notebooks? The ASUS G73 and the MSI GX660 are really powerfull systems with an i7 and a single 5870. I wouldn't spend $2500 on a notebook when the graphics cards can't be upgraded so it will be out of date in less than a year. A lot of people seem to like this notebook. It's not the best looking notebook out there, but it gets the job done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=asus_laptop_5870-_-34-220-695-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152205&Tpk=MSI GX660

I'm a total nit when it comes to graphics so a single 5870 just won't do especially if you realize that a 5870mobile is really nothing more than a desktop 5770. The ASUS, while it might be fine for other people, just doesn't do it for me. I feel like spending $1000 more and getting something which will last me ~2 years rather than purchasing something which is already barely adequate. Yah, I know. I've got issues. :p

Thanks! This is the kind of info I am looking for.

Any other recommended vendors?

Have you looked at ibuypower.com ? I don't think they have a xfire 5870, but they have GTX480m's.

Yah, I've decided that a single 480M will suffice.

I am currently researching Core i5 vs. Core i7. It seems like this is the age old faster dual core vs. slower quad core debate although it seems like the Core i7's turbo boost feature works really, really well. Any opinions?

I recommend the Asus. I have the ASUS G73JH-A2 and it has worked great.
Ditto for exact same model. It has played everything I've thrown at it the same or better than my Eyefinity setup. You will not be dissapointed. The "issues" such as GSOD have all be fixed as well according to others on notebookreviewforums. The newest G73 comes with a 460m. There is also the G53 if you want a smaller version of the same laptop.

Back