Gaming laptop help

Pivo504

2[H]4U
So I'm looking for a thin gaming laptop. Currently I can't across the acer predator trton 500 se which is on sale at best buy for 1299. However reviews are somewhat bad bc of issues with the battery.. Not sure what the go to is at the moment but I def want a minimum of a 3060 gpu 16gb ram.
Also came across a Asus rog zephyrus 14 inch gaming laptop with Ryzen 9 and 3060 with 1tb storage for 1317...
Another is the Asus tuf dash 15.6 on clearence for only 1019.... There are way too many options here

Last edited:
I've narrowed it down to those 3. Which would be best and I'd there something better?!
Best buy has the rog zephyrus 14 for 1249 qhd
Then same one 1317 but full hd is more expensive why is the lower res more expensive lol ugh so confusing with all these diff models..
I made the mistake of going on new egg and now there a so many more variations of the g14 one even with sum kind of anime matrix?!
I response asap would be very helpful as all the sales end tomorrow at best buy

Last edited:
My last gaming laptop was an asus and the motherboard died about 2years later, replacement board was too expensive used. so i went back to desktop when i can just fix it myself affordably. and yea if you are spending money on one dont get a 14, if it is always going to be docked and connected to monitors, just get a desktop.

Reactions: travm
like this
Finally got around to go to best buy and you guys are right the 14 is def to small. I really liked the Asus zephyrus g15 but price seems a bit high still. Was looking to spend under 1500 but the 3070 version is 1899 and the 3060 @1618 but only 8GB not sure why they gimp on that... Is it better to get the Ryzen or Intel cpu for laptop? I guess I'll keep watching I've read that the g15 with 3070 gpu has been on sale for 1549 which would be my price point

Last edited:
Finally got around to go to best buy and you guys are right the 14 is def to small. I really liked the Asus zephyrus g15 but price seems a bit high still. Was looking to spend under 1500 but the 3070 version is 1899 and the 3060 @1618 but only 8GB not sure why they gimp on that... Is it better to get the Ryzen or Intel cpu for laptop? I guess I'll keep watching I've read that the g15 with 3070 gpu has been on sale for 1549 which would be my price point
Intel CPUs are generally "faster" for gaming, but often slower on some other select tasks. But honestly they are really so close you are unlikely to notice a difference. The market changes so fast I know this is stale info, but last time I checked on laptops CPUs AMD was cooler and lower power, Intel was faster, but more heat higher power. This may have changed, you'll have to read some reviews.

I see the g15 on sale at best buy with the 3070 for 1649. Was waiting on the bigger sale with 350 off but dunno

Makes sure it has dual channel ram or buy a set to replace what is inside. I've cracked open a couple of customers Asus Tuf gaming laptops to find just a single stick of single rank RAM in them. One had just 8GB of 2666 single channel single rank RAM in it and I swapped in a dual channel 16GB 2400 dual channel set and perfromance went up 20%. Yeah with slower RAM.

Makes sure it has dual channel ram or buy a set to replace what is inside. I've cracked open a couple of customers Asus Tuf gaming laptops to find just a single stick of single rank RAM in them. One had just 8GB of 2666 single channel single rank RAM in it and I swapped in a dual channel 16GB 2400 dual channel set and perfromance went up 20%. Yeah with slower RAM.
Does the zephyrus g15 that comes with 16 GB have two sticks in dual channel?

Does the zephyrus g15 that comes with 16 GB have two sticks in dual channel?
Not sure. Two of my zephryus came with a single stick, one came with two 8gb sticks in dual channel. I'd check the Asus forum around the specific model.

I understand they want to allow users to upgrade by including single sticks, but the performance degradation running single channel is notable.

Well I'm guessing if it's using 16 GB it should be two 8 GB in dual channel right?

I upgraded my laptop because 3060 6gig vram just isn’t enough (because I upgraded to 4k display). Intel or amd, doesn’t make much of a difference, but I went intel to get thunderbolt.

Just literally got my new laptop today. Will prob sell my less than 1 year old laptop in 2 weeks here. $1000 alienware m15r6 11800/3060/64gig ram. But got to wait for me to migrate and test reliability of my new one… Tho like I hinted above, get a 3070, not mine lol

Well you would hope so but I'd say 80% chance it will be a single 16GB stick.
I see what you mean now. I'm guessing that's how they all come? Couldn't you just get another 16GB Memory and have 32

I see what you mean now. I'm guessing that's how they all come? Couldn't you just get another 16GB Memory and have 32

Not to mention that should enable dual channel memory as well.

Yeah wait and either find out the exact 16GB stick to buy an exact match or just buy a high performance low latency 2x8GB set and sell off the standard 16GB stick.

Whichever way you want really.

What is looking to be the go to 15 inch laptop At the moment? I've been seeing several go on sale but want to get the best one! Looking for one with AMD cpu, and a 3070gpu

From what I read alienware is better than G15 due to G15 being mostly plastic. Internals I think are the same. Use the outlet, you will get it faster & cheaper. I've bought two laptops from the outlet both no issues. My brother got the rog zephyrus, damn fine laptop too. I have both the m15r6 and x15r2. m15r6 was a MUCH better deal $ to performance wise.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlin...Pld54XjeoZ+DpS/M2H5AQLT+cegRXQo6GLsGEBpHCKQ==

Like new $1313

1654965738934.png

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlin...NbKFRzlTm3qAYeLCaJ3AKyxalgwpVwhysjwaNKucYp50=

Better display:
1654965916574.png

How is that a good deal considering it's used/refurb? Best buy currently has the g15 zeph with a better cpu and same internals as the Alienware but brand new for 1660 plus its a bit lighter @4.21 vs almost 6 pds on the alien.. Plus Im tax exempt at best buy so that will save alot as well

A lot of dell's used/refurb are canceled orders. I was comparing to Dell G15, dunno how my mind went there.
Tax free & 3070 shit jump on it, only thing the zeph missing is a webcam right?
IMHO only things changing in the next year is inflation.

A lot of dell's used/refurb are canceled orders. I was comparing to Dell G15, dunno how my mind went there.
Tax free & 3070 shit jump on it, only thing the zeph missing is a webcam right?
IMHO only things changing in the next year is inflation.
Yeah it's only missing the web cam and its over a bit lighter than the Alienware and I'm guessing thinner as well..

ASUS - ROG Zephyrus 15.6" QHD Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 9 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 1TB SSD - Eclipse Grey - Eclipse Grey​

Model:GA503QR-211.ZG15
SKU:6448848
$1,664.99

Last edited:
Keep in mind the 3070 in a laptop is not the same as the 3070 in your desktop. It's not uncommon for a 3060 to out perform a 3070 in laptops if the 3060 is a 115w variant vs an 85 watt 3070. Unfortunately, with Ampere, simply looking at the GPU model when it comes to the mobile variant, doesn't tell you the whole story.

Keep in mind the 3070 in a laptop is not the same as the 3070 in your desktop. It's not uncommon for a 3060 to out perform a 3070 in laptops if the 3060 is a 115w variant vs an 85 watt 3070. Unfortunately, with Ampere, simply looking at the GPU model when it comes to the mobile variant, doesn't tell you the whole story.
Ouch never knew this.. I'm still waiting for laptop prices to drop in no rush.. Really like to get something sleek and light like the G15 zephyrus

Ouch never knew this.. I'm still waiting for laptop prices to drop in no rush.. Really like to get something sleek and light like the G15 zephyrus
Also keep in mind sleek and light comes with a lot of sacrifices. You probably won’t find 115 watt GPUs in thin and light gaming machines. You’ll also be throttling both the CPU and GPU.

Also keep in mind sleek and light comes with a lot of sacrifices. You probably won’t find 115 watt GPUs in thin and light gaming machines. You’ll also be throttling both the CPU and GPU.
What about something like this? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gf65-15-6-144hz-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-512gb-ssd-black/6456144.p?acampID=0&cmp=RMX&irclickid=xKi3FiXFoxyIRR:yFUT5-xe8UkDzJrQ2PwBN3A0&irgwc=1&loc=Narrativ&mpid=376373&ref=198&skuId=6456144
Do you think the Asus g15 will sacrifice that much?? I'm thinking 15 inch is best size

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell what TDP manufacturers have the GPU set to. You'll either have to read reviews from people who own it and are savvy enough to have checked or you have to buy it and run something like HWinfo to find out. For that particular model, the 8GB of ram is going to be a problem

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell what TDP manufacturers have the GPU set to. You'll either have to read reviews from people who own it and are savvy enough to have checked or you have to buy it and run something like HWinfo to find out. For that particular model, the 8GB of ram is going to be a problem
Yeah just noticed that... Crazy how much going from 8 to 16 changes the price!

Yeah just noticed that... Crazy how much going from 8 to 16 changes the price!

Manufacturers are having to heavily discount laptops with fixed 8GB cause nobody wants that. You see some laptops that are $500 with 8GB and $800 with 16GB.

Newegg shows the TDP in laptop specs, at least for some.

So I'm looking for a thin gaming laptop. Currently I can't across the acer predator trton 500 se which is on sale at best buy for 1299. However reviews are somewhat bad bc of issues with the battery.. Not sure what the go to is at the moment but I def want a minimum of a 3060 gpu 16gb ram.
Also came across a Asus rog zephyrus 14 inch gaming laptop with Ryzen 9 and 3060 with 1tb storage for 1317...
Another is the Asus tuf dash 15.6 on clearence for only 1019.... There are way too many options here

I’m looking for something similar. One interesting option is the 2022 Asus Vivobook 14-16X, since it now has a 3060. Also 90Hz or 120Hz OLED screens.

But seem to be vaporware so far. The 2021s have a 3050 so that’s a big step down.

In general I’d wait for 2022 models to make it out. Then 2021s will get discounted also.

Back