Gaming laptop for $1500

V0ltage

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, my friend needs a laptop for college, and has around $1,500 to spend. He plays WoW and CS:S and wants to be able to play some future games, but does not care about having the highest details, just decent playability. He also wants one that will last him all 4 years of college. He also does no need extreme portability, so a DTR might be fine.

There are a few he has been looking at (coupled with questions), and I am wondering what would be the best for his needs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224048
Core Duo on that is a plus, but is the X1400 any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115198
Would a Pentium M be much worse than the Duo, and is the X700 better than the X1400?

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224026

So, are any of these a good buy? Does anyone recommend anything else entirely? Also, is a Turion much worse than a 3400+?

Edit: fixed links

IMO, those laptops are a pretty decent price, however for gaming I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get a better vid card. 7800gtx/go is a minimum if you want to be able to play games for the next year or so.

i think that acer with the x700 will be able to play most games at medium graphics. Acer is a great company with a reputation of durable computers. That lappy is recommended by me :D

i am not a dell !!!!!!, but dell has some nice laptops for cheap right now...
i AM a dell i9300 owner, and it is great. has a 6800go, can handle games with ease...

www.fatwallet.com
keep up on the coupons there, it is free and they have great deals.

also, goto www.dell.com and bum around in the outlet section, they also have good deals there.

just get an inspiron 9300, even with the lowest graphics card/memory/processor and upgrade. you can get a 9300 new for 1000 tops, the 6800 will be 150, 2gb ddr from newegg is 130, and a pin-moddable processor is 150...

comes out under 1500 and you have a beast of a laptop...and oh yeah, the i9300 CAN handle a 7800go gtx or 6800 ultra!

www.notebookforums.com

goto the dell xps/9300 section, read, and you will be a believer!

Many of those laptops on your last link had integrated graphics. That something to be avoided at all costs if you want to play most new games on a laptop.

buzzard34 said:
Core Duo is recommended over the pentium M anyday.
Wait, but even if all they're going to do is game? Cause the Core Duo is a bit more expensive and doesn't get as high clock speed for the price. Games don't really utilize the dual core threading. I'm not really sure if it's Core Duo all the way for someone who is going to be just gaming, and by the thread title.. "Gaming laptop..." I'm going to asume gaming is the primary task.

SUMMARY
---------------------
Core Duo is 2x "x"Ghz...
Games only use one core...
Core Duo more expensive
Pentium M can have higher clocks for cheaper

Some games now, and all games in the future will utilize the second or more cores on the modern CPU's.

This has already beend stated on tons of hardware websites. This is how complex AI and more complex physics will be acheivable. With 2 cores.

Indeed, but not any games at this point, that to my knowledge.
Suppose it depends on how much of a video card you get in your laptop as well as I'd imagine that any game that utilizes Dual Cores is defiently going to be graphically intensive.

No doubt that games will run Dual Core soon, but any game of that magnitude will most likely require more than $1500 of laptop to run it at anything worth wild. Though I'm not sure.

Stormlifter said:
Indeed, but not any games at this point, that to my knowledge.
Suppose it depends on how much of a video card you get in your laptop as well as I'd imagine that any game that utilizes Dual Cores is defiently going to be graphically intensive.

No doubt that games will run Dual Core soon, but any game of that magnitude will most likely require more than $1500 of laptop to run it at anything worth wild. Though I'm not sure.
My e1705 dual core 1.66ghz with 7800GTX Go runs Oblivion just as well, if not better than the XPS M170 2.0Ghz with a 7800GTX

Both with 1GB of DDR2 memory.

;)

The Yonah CPU's (CoreDuo) are a force to reckoned with.

If he wants one that would give decent playability for 4 years then he should get the highest GPU and CPU he can afford since he can skimp on the HD and Memory and upgrade those later as funds permit. I'm pretty sure the 6800 series and 7800 series from Nvidia are pretty much the only lappy GPU's that will provide decent playability for 4 years. just an opinion. I can't coment on the ATI "equivelant" to the 6800 and 7800 cause I haven't seen any laptops of note that use em.

if he insists on something less than a 6800 GPU because then he should wait for the ATI X1600 mobility. that's the least capable laptop GPU he should consider buying. I'm saying this cause he wants the laptop to last for 4 years and I'm assuming that he also would like the decent playability for games for last for a like number of years

vekt0r said:
My e1705 dual core 1.66ghz with 7800GTX Go runs Oblivion just as well, if not better than the XPS M170 2.0Ghz with a 7800GTX

;)

How did you get the Go 7800GTX in the 9400? The only one I had heard about is running at really low clocks and still overheating :confused:

Stormlifter said:
Wait, but even if all they're going to do is game? Cause the Core Duo is a bit more expensive and doesn't get as high clock speed for the price. Games don't really utilize the dual core threading. I'm not really sure if it's Core Duo all the way for someone who is going to be just gaming, and by the thread title.. "Gaming laptop..." I'm going to asume gaming is the primary task.

SUMMARY
---------------------
Core Duo is 2x "x"Ghz...
Games only use one core...
Core Duo more expensive
Pentium M can have higher clocks for cheaper
BUT core duo is the tech going forward. The Dells are upgradeable to Merom which is the first 64 bit architecture for Notebooks from Intel and will be fast, fast, FAST. Plus the reality is with mods you can stick a 7800 GTX into a Dell E1705.

vekt0r said:

;)

Ya these Core Duo's are tweaked Dothans with Dual core. But also Oblivion is able to use both cores if its there, so thats why it feels simular. Your best option ATM for Pentium M's is to find 1.8 400FSB chip and pin mod it to 2.4 GHZ
;)

Vengance_01 said:
Ya these Core Duo's are tweaked Dothans with Dual core. But also Oblivion is able to use both cores if its there, so thats why it feels simular. Your best option ATM for Pentium M's is to find 1.8 400FSB chip and pin mod it to 2.4 GHZ
;)
BTW, these are not tweaked Dothans. They are actually early Meroms with the 64 bit disabled. Merom does an additional instruction percycle on one and 520 on an another instruction set. This is a whole newly designed chip and when the first gen Merom 64 bit come out it will be the 667 bus with the same pin config as the current Yonahs. These are roughly 20-25% faster clock for clock than current Yonahs. So at least 1 Quarter of 2007 people could look to upgrade their current core duo to something a bit spiffier...

operaman said:
BTW, these are not tweaked Dothans. They are actually early Meroms with the 64 bit disabled. Merom does an additional instruction percycle on one and 520 on an another instruction set. This is a whole newly designed chip and when the first gen Merom 64 bit come out it will be the 667 bus with the same pin config as the current Yonahs. These are roughly 20-25% faster clock for clock than current Yonahs. So at least 1 Quarter of 2007 people could look to upgrade their current core duo to something a bit spiffier...
these are a different core. Memron is even fast faster than core Duo. Its really a hybrid Dothan with two core on one die and new enhancments

Vengance_01 said:
these are a different core. Memron is even fast faster than core Duo. Its really a hybrid Dothan with two core on one die and new enhancments

Yes they are a different core, they are Conroe-M. They have nothing to do with Dothan.

And core duo has nothing to do with Dothan either. Different architecture all the way around.

Back