Gaming Laptop Advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 278999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 278999

Hey all,

I built the desktop in my sig a while ago and updated it more recently with the 980 Ti and more SSD's and to sum things up, I'm just not satisfied. The longer version is that though I bought a GSYNC monitor, a new graphics card and this and that, gaming still isn't enjoyable like it used to be. To add to that, I injured my spine some time ago and sitting at a desk for long periods just isn't doable. Being able to move around, sit somewhere else or lay down is important. Otherwise, I'd be out doing something else.

Right now I have a Lenovo Y510P in addition to the desktop. It's got 16gb of RAM, an SSD, etc. Processor and RAM wise it's great, but the video card card side doesn't cut it. This particular laptop is the SLI variant with two GT 750M's. I've had some SLI issues. Some games run fine. Other games need some fiddling with NVIDIA Inspector and some just won't do SLI at all... which reminds me I need to reset the system back to SLI again after a video driver update which I forgot about.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I've given desktop gaming all I have to give. I'm frustrated. When I want to game I don't have the power with me that I need and when I don't I have a great machine that goes unused for weeks on end.

I've been thinking perhaps the answer is in getting a different laptop?

Do any of you have any thoughts or ideas on what to do?

Get an Alienware laptop and a graphics amplifier. Keep your 980ti / gsync monitor and use it with the graphics amplifier and sell everything else. The graphics amplifier also has a USB 3.0 hub on it that you can plug a mouse/keyboard/anything else into. It then plugs into your laptop with a single cable. This way whenever you want to sit down and have the power to play higher-end games you have it. You can just as easily unplug the laptop and move it around though.

Most people can typically score a 10% off coupon for Dell so Alienware laptop prices tend to be fairly competitive after discount. I know Razor also offers an external GPU solution but i'm not sure the availability and support is as good as what i've seen with Dell/Alienware. You can also lower the price of the laptop build by also opting for a standard HDD and re-using one of your SSD's from your desktop build.

Or if PC games in general are just to much for you maybe it's time to move on to something that is easier to play/use. A 3DS is dirt cheap and has a huge good game library available...

Video -

If I didn't have the space for a full desktop and/or moved around a lot i'd go that route instead of a desktop. The reality is that whenever you want to play a higher-end game you'll be sitting down at a desk with the laptop plugged in anyways since any laptop will chew through power when pushed.

Last edited:
Back