Gaming Laptop advice

VladDracule

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello All,

Im looking at replacing my Sager/Clevo 180 model. For a long while one of the video cards in its 6990 sli config hasnt been functional.

Im wanting some feedback in a few areas. If i send my laptop back to myth and would be able to have the 6990m replaced so i get my SLI back up and running, how would that compare to modern day m gpu's?

My current gaming areas are fairly low-fi in graphics (diablo 3, Dota 2, some wow maybe) but this isn't how I usually game. I still want to be able to play the witcher, Skyrim, Dragon age and other more graphically demanding games. Of course im not going to see the same performance as the desktop in my sig but high settings if possible with 60+fps.

One criteria is i want a smaller laptop, the 18" is so un-portable, i cant even feasably game with it on my lap.

That brings me to one of my other criteria, portable/light enough, with adequate cooling to game on my lap in bed, using a lapdesk of some sort of course.

I am looking at what MYthlogic has available and they dont seem to carry clevo models anymore. My budget would be roughly 2k, can go higher if it would be significant increase in performance.

Summary requirements:
As good as possible gaming
Small-ish portable form factor
Backlit Keyboard
Matte Display
Good cooling to not need a cooler if possible

Are there any 15" SLI laptops in existance?
How does the older 6990 cards compare to 880m, or m290x?
What do we know about the m290x? Does it compare to the 880m?

6990M Xfire (Sli is nvidia) is about on par with the 7970M/8970M/290X or a single 780M/870M/880M

So a machine with a single modern high end card would give you a better gaming experience due to having equal FPS but better frame pacing and no dual card issues.

There are no decent 15" SLI machines (lenovo do sli 755m for example but an 880M beats that by a lot).

In the previous gen, the 6990 xfire set up performed about the same as the 6990 single desktop config. Is that true this gen as well? (I.E SLI 880m == 880 desktop)?

I dislike xotics site, their lack of filters is a horrible design. I've also had dealings with them in the past and the same very egotistical and I'd rather not deal with them again

Well you always have alternatives ;)

The 6990 was a dual 6970 desktop so no the mobile cards could not match that, but they did equal the best single core cards and yes 880M SLI is about on a level with a 780 ti desktop card.

Back